Non-motoring > Electromagnetic conundrum Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 9

Electromagnetic conundrum - Crankcase
Mother in law has a freesat dish.

Three weeks ago, signal suddenly stopped. Turned out that builders next door had put scaffolding up right in front of the dish, about ten feet away. Builders/owner not interested in doing anything about it, and mother in law not a brave person, so didn't argue. Local dish installer charged her £25 to look at it and say it was scaffolding and refused to move it as it was "in the best place already, that'll be fine when the scaffolding goes away". So she's had no tv for three weeks.

Today scaffolding came down. Still no signal. Mother in law asked around and it turns out that a neighbour, well away from the building, says her satellite dish also failed about three weeks ago. Spooky. Also it has now become apparent that mother in law's radio signals are now drifting/poor/fading and have been for the same time period.

Too much of a coincidence for it not to be the scaffolding, but why would it also affect a neighbour as well who is nowhere near, and the radio too; and crucially it's all still happening now the scaffolding has been moved.

X-files? I think she's going to ask the dish installer again with a view to really moving it this time somewhere, which will be another who knows how much.

All I was able to do was confirm all was plugged in, the settings were as they should be, the dish was secure, and with an app, was pointing in the right direction and hadn't been knocked. The Humax box reports no signal at all.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Wed 11 Nov 15 at 20:15
 Electromagnetic conundrum - Haywain
When the council-owned tress behind the house grew up and stopped our satellite signal, I was told that I had no right to a t.v. signal. I understand that's also the case if a building or anything else stops the signal as well.
Indeed, that does seem to be the case. So there isn't a leg to stand on legall for her. Just trying to find a solution and solve a bit of a puzzle!
 Electromagnetic conundrum - Falkirk Bairn
Transponder? cable?

Son's Sky was zapped by a voltage spike /lightning. Sky box, router, phone line were all zapped as was the phone line of the next door neighbour - his Sky & router were OK.
Interesting. Hadn't thought of that, thank you.

It unfortunate that in their village there is no tv signal at all, so no ordinary digital tv aerial will work. Also their broadband maxes out at under 1Mb, so no real possibility of tv over the Internet in any shape or form either. So with no radio either I think it's crosswords and cross words alternately in that house.
 Electromagnetic conundrum - R.P.
There's always the radio...(theatre for the mind etc)
 Electromagnetic conundrum - Zero
>> Transponder? cable?
>>
>> Son's Sky was zapped by a voltage spike /lightning.

my mums panasonic freesat TV was zapped by a spike, took out the sat tuner stage, but not the terrestrial tuner stage.
 Electromagnetic conundrum - Zero
chances are, the installer has fiddled with it and put it out of alignment. If it were me I would be up there with a new LNB and alignment anyway, LNBs degrade with time.

Funnily where I used to live, I had great terrestrial signal from Crystal palace. Then the great storm of 87 struck, and flattened all the trees on a nearby hill on the direct line of sight. The signal fell to pot and I had to swing it round to Guildford.
 Electromagnetic conundrum - Dog
If I was thee I'd be getting on to the sat ex spurt and saying "'ere guv'nor, I gave you 25 notes to check my sat signal which you said was ok, but now the scaffolding has gorn I still haven't got any TV, so would you be so kind as to check my system again for me please".
 Electromagnetic conundrum - No FM2R
I should think that Zero is correct and that the expert has fiddled. Mind you, he sounds like an idiot so I probably wouldn't bother with him.

Get a man round who can check, and replace and/or repair wiring, lnb etc etc.
Latest Forum Posts