Non-motoring > HMRC Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 22

HMRC - Roger.
Switches on Meldrew voice: "I don't believe it"!

I received a demand from HMRC for a smallish amount of underpaid PAYE tax.(Under £70).
Apart from the fact that all my pension income is on PAYE, so I was miffed, to say the least, I found that one cannot make payment of underpaid tax on the internet!
Such payments are only accepted by cheque, banker's Draft or Building Society Draft, sent , of course by post!
It beggars belief that in the digital age HMRC are not able to accept a debit card payment for such an item.
Bah, Humbug. Grrr.
 HMRC - movilogo
Ask for a waiver as it was their mistake.

HMRC = Her Majesty's Crooks & Robbers :o)
 HMRC - Mapmaker
You can do a bank transfer.
 HMRC - tyrednemotional
...I've certainly paid an outstanding Self-Assessment bill by bank transfer.

The HMRC website indicates you can also use Debit/Credit Card (the latter at a premium).

I can't vouch for the details of other payment methods on this page, but the bank transfer details match exactly my historic records:

www.gov.uk/pay-self-assessment-tax-bill/overview

HMRC - WillDeBeest
I had to repay the Child Benefit to which my children are no longer entitled (thanks Dave) via Self Assessment. Certainly didn't write a cheque; pretty sure I used a debit card, as I do for my VED.
 HMRC - CGNorwich
Roger is not talking about tax due as as a result of a self assessment he is talking about an underpayment notified by a P800

The amount is normally collected by deducting by instalments from income from the following tax year.

If you elect to pay in full - what the HMRC call a voluntary payment, then the tax can only be paid by the means Roger indicated.

www.gov.uk/tax-overpayments-and-underpayments

Last edited by: CGNorwich on Wed 11 Nov 15 at 16:31
 HMRC - WillDeBeest
But that page also says that small amounts will be collected through PAYE unless your income is less than your personal allowance. Roger's comment about PAYE suggests that his income is higher than that - or why would he owe tax in the first place? - so shouldn't he be able to repay through the PAYE adjustment route?
 HMRC - CGNorwich
He should. I would suggest he has elected not to. That's why they call it a "voluntary" payment
 HMRC - WillDeBeest
He also said he was 'miffed' because he's on PAYE, which implies he's not been given the option to pay that way.
 HMRC - smokie
I'd suspect he's miffed cos I'd assume that PAYE would never result in an underpayment, and when on a fixed income just a small unanticipated expense can upset the apple cart. I know I'd be miffed...

I'm sure Roger will be along soon to explain...
 HMRC - CGNorwich
Well I guess only Roger know the answer but my wife had a similar situation and received a P800 last week which stated that underpaid tax would be collected through PAYE although it did offer the option to pay in full if she preferred.

Last edited by: CGNorwich on Wed 11 Nov 15 at 17:35
 HMRC - Roger.
HMRC did offer a PAYE option but only with the "threat "of my having to complete a full self-assessment tax return!
I suspect that HMRC missed the quite small amount from a life assurance with a pension provider, even though they surely must collate by NI number, which picked up the other sources of income.
I have never checked my PAYE codes, assuming they knew best!
This brought my gross income a touch more over the £10,660 personal allowance than it was before.
On the principle of sleeping dogs ..... I have just paid up!

No money due this tax year though, as I now have part of my wife's personal allowance allocated to me under the recent changes.
 HMRC - Zero
>> He also said he was 'miffed' because he's on PAYE, which implies he's not been
>> given the option to pay that way.

He's miffed because they want money. Probably assumes it will all be thrown into the EU cess pool.
 HMRC - NortonES2
IN which, certain prominent and noisy EU opponents will be panning for gold….
 HMRC - Roger.

>> He's miffed because they want money. Probably assumes it will all be thrown into the
>> EU cess pool.

Who could tell?
Their accounts have been qualified for over 20 years!
 HMRC - Bromptonaut
Roger,

If you're on a limited income it's worth asking your water supplier if you are eligible for any social tariff they might offer.

If it's Anglian they have LITE tinyurl.com/owb2pbg ;

Severn Trent have Big Difference: tinyurl.com/owb2pbg see B5.2
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 11 Nov 15 at 20:07
 HMRC - Bromptonaut

>> If it's Anglian they have LITE tinyurl.com/owb2pbg ;

Link to Anglian should have been www.anglianwater.co.uk/household/your-account/bills-and-payments/tariffs/lite/
 HMRC - Slidingpillar
I used my debit card to pay tax money I owe, a whole £1.55!

Sounds like I could be in Roger's situation though when the current year ends as there is a chance of making some money this tax year which won't have tax paid/deducted. And if I do, I want to pay it in one lump sum as I do not want them thinking, "better tax him more for 2016/17" as there won't be any future income from the same source.
Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Wed 11 Nov 15 at 21:03
 HMRC - R.P.
They stung me for 1700 quid in this tax year.
 HMRC - Robin O'Reliant
Back in the nineties I got a demand to make good 9 pence underpayment and Mrs O'Reliant got hers for 16p. Obviously computer generated, but as the then £100 charge for late payment would be too and I didn't fancy getting into an endless round of letters and phone calls I duly settled, much to the amusement of all at the bank.
 HMRC - Zero

>> for late payment would be too and I didn't fancy getting into an endless round
>> of letters and phone calls I duly settled, much to the amusement of all at
>> the bank.

9p is a cheap price to pay to prevent an HMRC investigation into your tax matters.
 HMRC - No FM2R
>>They stung me for 1700 quid in this tax year.

I am lacking sympathy. The last time I was PAYE it was screwed up by my then employer and I ended up with a huge demand and a kind offer of 7 days to pay.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 11 Nov 15 at 22:48
 HMRC - Old Navy
You could try this one. :-)

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crickhowell-welsh-town-moves-offshore-to-avoid-tax-on-local-business-a6728971.html
Latest Forum Posts