Non-motoring > Calling UK from EU Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 11

Calling UK from EU - legacylad
In late Jan '16 I am renting a place in Spain for 6 weeks with a few friends. Whenever I visit the USA for a similar length of time, I take my unlocked Iphone 5S and replace my EE Sim only deal with a 30 day contract with AT & T.
Would this be the best policy in this instance? In the USA I got a $10 add on which allowed a thousand minutes of calls to UK landlines but not mobiles.
Any advice please?
 Calling UK from EU - No FM2R
PAYG with Tuenti - its the best way to go.

www.tuenti.com/movil
p.s. don't know what your Spanish is like, shout if you need help.
 Calling UK from EU - smokie
I'd be looking at a pay monthly Three card, see this page for which add on to get.

www.three.co.uk/Support/Pay_As_You_Go/Phone_tariffs

(Note that all you can eat data is not all you can eat abroad but it's a fairly decent size - 5Gb IIRC)

£10 gets you 100 mins, 3000 texts and 500mb data.

EDIT but (without translation) the site FM2R mentions above looks very reasonable, especially for unlimited calls...
Last edited by: smokie on Wed 11 Nov 15 at 12:11
 Calling UK from EU - Pezzer
It wont replace any of the above suggestions but will you have access to a decent Wifi connection ? If so there are some decent Apps available and Virgin Media have one which allows you to use your UK land line plan to call (I have unlimited land line calls). I used it from Mexico in the Summer when having to chase conveyancers (when dont you ?) and it was excellent
 Calling UK from EU - Mike H
The other option is Skpe pay as you go. I call my father in the UK from my laptop or smartphone on his landline, and I pay 2p per minute from Austria. I also use it for any other calls I make to landlines in the UK. I haven't found a cheaper way apart from Skype to Skype which is free.
 Calling UK from EU - ....
The rules are supposed to be changing whereby your contract is effectively a flat rate across the EU. Anyone know when this is coming in?
Late 2016 / early 2017
 Calling UK from EU - RattleandSmoke
Not sure if I am missing something but I am with three and get free calls and internet while I am in Spain and other countries. The only downside is the internet is always limited to 3G.

Technically though you are now allowed to use it if you live there, but I know people who use it when they are on holiday for several weeks and has never been an issue.

Calling UK from EU - rtj70
Vodafone for example let you pay a flat rate per day to use your UK plan abroad. For 6 weeks that's going to be costly. But my SIM only deal means I get it included with my tariff from now on. I used to just pay the fee but that's only for week or two week holidays. So I get unlimited calls, unlimited texts and 4GB data. All of which can be used in Europe.

So does EE offer similar?
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 11 Nov 15 at 13:00
 Calling UK from EU - Zero
o2 offer an eu bolt on for data which is very reasonable.
 Calling UK from EU - Mapmaker
Some EE plans include all EU roaming. As the alternative is £3-£4 per day, it soon pays for itself.
Latest Forum Posts