Non-motoring > Economy set for 'triple whammy'. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 51

Economy set for 'triple whammy'. - Dog
www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/economy-set-for-triple-whammy-admits-bank-chief-2032213.html

:-(
 Economy set for 'triple whammy'. - Bellboy
2 businesses near me gone bust this last 2 weeks
wife will lose her pct job in the next 2 years,she is at the moment having to reapply for her present position
jobs dead
roads are dead
postman turns up at 11.00am every day when it used to be 1.00pm
we are all doomed
but keep smiling eh
Some good comments following that article, this is one of em ~

Because everyone is addicted to cheap money. Cheap money (i.e. interest rates being too low) causes the boom/bust cycle in the first place. Then you get more cheap money because all kinds of Keynesian witchdoctors come out of the woodworks and want State to go into debt to "kickstart the economy" (give crack to the crackhead? sure, why not). And after that a good percentage of the economy is able to hang on only because money is cheap. Tax increases to refill coffers and interest rate heightening will blow the foundations of that part away. Two exits: very high inflation (and ultimately destruction of the middle classes) or extra-painful adjustment of the economy (and soaring unemployment rates). Get ready for Weimar.
>>but keep smiling eh<<

Not if we all end up driving Kia Picanto's we won't.

:-D
 Economy set for 'triple whammy'. - Stuu
Looking in my local paper, the jobs section is smaller than the cars for sale section.
My wifes employer ( bingo hall ) are taking on staff right now, so its not all doom.
and why do you go to bingo?
to get away from your everyday reality of course
plus last time i went my auntie won a bag of sugar
very useful that was...........
 Economy set for 'triple whammy'. - RattleandSmoke
The club I mostly go to in Town is still always packed but I have noticed it now dies at 3:00am where as in the past it would go onto to 5:00am. The reason is probably because are now getting buses back a lot more. I know my night bus is far more regular that it ever used to be.

Places are taking on jobs but 1000s of people are applying for a checkout post for a supermarket.

Oh well maybe all the unemployed people will start a punk band and riot everyday to kill their time instead.

Its not all doom and gloom in my area though, the BBC are moving three miles up the road, I live in one of the nearest nice areas to it so I am hoping to gain a lot of the BBC staff as my customers. The BBC move will bring over 3000 jobs to Manchester (or Salford).

do you not think it was a political decision to move to manchester rattle? rather than a job create or lose decision?
by the BBC................... [CAPS for the benefit of pdA ]
 Economy set for 'triple whammy'. - Pat
>> [CAPS for the benefit of pdA ]<<

Bummocks, got it wrong again!

pda
 Economy set for 'triple whammy'. - Zero
The recovery was being bought on credit - Government credit, our credit.

The credit was on the point of running out. The recovery will be delayed, probably by as much as two years. But when it comes it should be on a sounder footing than previously.

I like the comment "Living standards will not improve for two years" Frankly, for most of us, living standards have been as good as its ever been! Quite happy to live like this for two years.
 Economy set for 'triple whammy'. - Brentus
What we need is jobs, jobs ,jobs and more jobs. Only problem none of our politicians have a clue how to create them.

how's this for starters.

1. start construction of new affordable/social housing with immediate effect , i mean mass building. That will get the brickie's roofers, plasteres painters working.

2, Start building better roads en mass. That brings a lot of people of all civil trades into employment.

3. Lets start building new nuclear power stations, that will sort our energy needs. The big bonus alll the skilled people will be in work and apprenticeships created.

I would also like to add, lets see British companies promote themselves. Just like our european counterparts do. Example french motor manufacturer Citreon look at their adds and what do you see Citreon prefer Total. Get it they promote another French Company. It's a no brainer really.
 Economy set for 'triple whammy'. - BobbyG
So how do you guarantee the affordable housing isn't bought up by someone out to make a quick buck on buy - to- let? Rent only would need to be the answer. But then who goes into them, all the ones claiming housing benefit just now that is being paid to private landlords?
 Economy set for 'triple whammy'. - swiss tony
>> So how do you guarantee the affordable housing isn't bought up by someone out to
>> make a quick buck on buy - to- let? Rent only would need to be
>> the answer. But then who goes into them, all the ones claiming housing benefit just
>> now that is being paid to private landlords?
>>
Give the local authority the job of issuing tenancy.
This would be means tested, so those who need the housing gets it, those who can afford to buy, buy.

Oh, its been done?
And some milk thief stopped it?
Hmmmmmm

Im sure it could be made to work, and would create some jobs for those poor public sector workers who are presently looking redundancy in the eye.
 Economy set for 'triple whammy'. - Runfer D'Hills
Some of it though, granted not all of it, is a self-inflicted wound. I get goods made to be sold on British High Streets. I can source beautiful quality, exquisitely designed products made in the UK and Europe if I want. However, I can get much cheaper but by and large wholly inferior products made in the Far East.

Guess what the public want ? Yep, the cheap tat.
unfortunately it is very difficult to work out whats good and whats tat
price might have nothing to do with quality
i buy my work jackets type coats at matalan or tk max and pay about £10 for them
the same thing in a leading store that sells overpriced groceries and refuses to give away free carrier bags (they might do now of course but i banned myself 2 years ago)
anyway the same coats in there with a different label and the same zip that fails after 3 months are £35 each
so how do you work out quality versus price? one of the good things that was abolished years ago was recommended retail as it was being abused by companies selling tat
I know BB. It's a dilemma. I'm sure for example you could tell the difference between a well made car component and one which isn't but I couldn't. I'd have to base my judgement on my view of the honesty / integrity of the retailer of that component and their recommendation.

Likewise, when it comes to any consumer goods, unless you happen to be an expert in that field you are at the mercy of the brand and the vendor to provide you with a fair deal.

Some manufacturers / brands and indeed some retailers do still keep very high standards indeed but it saddens me in my industry anyway, to see them being totally overwhelmed by those who care not for quality but base their whole proposition on price. The shopping public though do bear some, albeit perhaps understandable culpability though in their unwavering support for lower prices over product integrity.

Well, no matter, it's more or less too late now to change that so I guess we just have to reflect the demand and get on with things.

The consumer votes with his / her wallet and by far the majority tell us that's what they want so bless 'em that's what they'll get.

They care not that it costs British and European jobs. That it almost inevitably means that what they are buying has involved exploited labour. That the product itself is inferior. If it's cheap and looks OK, it'll sell.

It's the way of things now.
a customer came to see me last week recommended by a friend of mine
he was happy with the car he picked but wanted it cheaper seeing as he came on a recommendation
he didnt buy the car
his loss
i sold it for what i asked today
its a british disease
 Economy set for 'triple whammy'. - Clk Sec
BB

We all like to think we have a good deal. Do you find that many of your customers are happy to pay the asking price?
most people are happy to pay the asking once we have a chat
remember they are buying one of my babies,not just a car
Interesting one Clk Sec. I have spent my whole working life negotiating. It's what I do. I'm quite good at it most of the time too.

But...in my private life I much prefer transparent pricing. I don't mind at all a good to and fro on my subject of expertise but if I'm buying something I don't claim to be an expert on I'd much rather deal with a genuinely honest trader who prices fairly and gives good service.

I know most of the motor industry isn't structured like that but I wish it was. Finding a BB type chap I could trust near me would be my ideal when it comes to buying a car. I think I'd know ( within reason ) if his price was about right or not but I'd be far more interested in feeling comfortable that he would have made sure the car was as good as it could reasonably be for the money rather than trying to skim a bit off the price from someone I'd never heard of.

Unless I've got him wrong of course !

:-)
 Economy set for 'triple whammy'. - Clk Sec
I think we would all like to see transparent pricing, Humph, but it could be difficult identifying what is, and what is not. Like you, I spent a number of years in an occupation where negotiating was my main function, though as a buyer rather than a seller.

I still tend to work on the basis that there is a margin for negotiation, and he who doesn’t ask, doesn’t get.

>> its a british disease

Yep, the other one being retailers using their wholesale suppliers as a bank. Not paying their bills on time and getting shirty when the supplier suggests that they might want to pay this invoice which is already 90 days overdue.........

:-(
thats why i sell cars H
i have it
they want it
pay me

been down the path of being owed money for services too many times
really dont want to go back to it
Gizzajob BB I can do that !

:-)
Last edited by: Humph D'bout on Mon 26 Jul 10 at 17:07
>>Guess what the public want ? Yep, the cheap tat.

I was at a Charity conference recently where it was stated that the real cost of clothing and shoes has fallen by 34% over the last 3 years and this is primarily due to the discounters, primarks etc.

As Humph says the quality is also falling and for us Charity sector, there is the real possibility that many charity shops will go to the wall in the next few years as the clothes literally won't be fit to be donated on to be resold due to the poor quality.

M&S quality is a good benchmark to prove this, compare their quality with M&S of 10 years ago, but thats what the majority of Joe Public wants.
Interesting take on things Bobby, hadn't thought of that angle. Another interesting statistic in the same field is that over the same period, the rate of purchase has actually increased slightly. so in other words people are buying more cheap items more frequently. Some of that may be perceived affordability but some will also be because of premature product failure or wear.

This though, is not enough to make a difference. Whatever the media spin I can tell you that the truth of the matter is averagely, our high st retailers are running about 30% below turnover budgets and have been for some time. It can not be sustained. We will lose many more of them in the next few months and coming years unless consumer spending does a not terribly anticipated about face.
>>the truth of the matter is averagely, our high st retailers are running about 30% below turnover budgets and have been for some time

Humph, at the same conference there was a discussion surrounding current retail and its only when someone actually lists all the High St names that have went to the wall you suddenly get a grip of reality like Woolies, Borders, Ethel Austin etc the list goes on.
Then you see M&S seemingly having more and more regular sales.

I remember when I worked in the Sainsorrison quite often you would be contacted by the buyer to say they had a one off deal, how many pallets did you want etc. Usually at the end of a quarter and they were behind target and willing to run promos at close to cost price to get bonus - probably not too disimilar to a dealer doing pre-reg cars to achieve the quantity bonus.
>> you suddenly get a grip of reality like Woolies, Borders, Ethel Austin etc the list
>> goes on.
>> Then you see M&S seemingly having more and more regular sales.

Woolworths was a failed retail business long before the credit crunch, it started to fail in the mid 80s - it had to die.

Borders, well I am afraid to say, bookshops in general will disapear. Injured by Amazon and to be massacred by e-books.

Retail has to adapt and change or it fails, economic black times merely dumps those failing to make the grade into mass graves.
>>how's this for starters.<<

>>1. start construction of new affordable/social housing<<

>>2, Start building better roads en mass<<

>>3. Lets start building new nuclear power stations

Unfortunately neither of these excellent ideas would bring in MUCH needed foreign currency,
we are not unlike Japan in many ways - export, or die.

Economy set for 'triple whammy'. - rtj70
So the country has a deficit of over £150bn.... so how does the country afford to build these houses, roads and nuclear power stations? I assume we borrow the money?
>> >>1. start construction of new affordable/social housing<<

where's the building land coming from?

>> >>2, Start building better roads en mass<<

whos paying for it? borrow more money?

>> >>3. Lets start building new nuclear power stations

Building nuclear power stations does not actually employ many people. We do however need them, cheap power is the key to recovery.
 Economy set for 'triple whammy'. - Mapmaker
>>cheap power is the key to recovery.

I'd go further.

Clean, reliable and cheap power is the key to the recovery.

And that idiot Huhne thinks it can all be done with a windmill or two!
Everyone is kidding themselves if they think nuclear power is not needed.
 Economy set for 'triple whammy'. - Dulwich Estate
Unfortunately politicians just do not have a clue.

Today they are either:

(1) Career politicians, i.e. those who maybe graduated in "The appreciation of Fine Arts" or some such tosh, then worked as an assistant to a politician, maybe became a local councillor and eventually became an MP and minister

or,

(2) Has been journalists, media types, ex-stewards on a liner and so on.

Where are the engineers and scientists or even those who have an interest in such things ?

On this site we all have an interest in motors. Not everyone is a graduate scientist or engineer but we all have simple and basic knowledge of how things work. It really doesn't take much to say spin an alternator by hand and feel it needs some effort. As for spinning it around at 5,000 rpm - that takes some doing. Even then what do you get ? 12v, a few amps and a charge to a battery which might power your headlights for half a day.

At times of maximum demand we need maximum wind - just like you don't get in the freezing conditions earlier this year. Wind power for the nation, especially when there's no wind - laughable, but the politicians just don't know.
But there lies the problem. The people that should be MPs are not putting themselves forward are they.
David Laws would have made an excellent MP/Chief Secretary to the Treasury if he hadn't resigned,
which was a bummer.
 Economy set for 'triple whammy'. - MD
>> cheap power is the key to recovery.
>>
One of the 'keys to recovery' is getting the idle lot off of their backsides and doing SOMETHING for their benefit cheques. Don't start me off. 35 hr week my backside. I ain't working half a week for anyone.

Boraks...........................MD
Agreed Martin, all the benefits and the asylum seekers, give them a wheelbarrow of asphalt and start tackling the potholes!!
 Economy set for 'triple whammy'. - -
It'll be years before things get put right if ever.

Making more people move more Chinese tat around won't make a scrap of difference to the nations wealth, we need to make something or some service to sell to other countries.

The govt of the day seems intent on continuing to throw what few quid we have left at other countries, the fact we had to borrow it in the first place doesn't seem to register.

Edit, as for having the right recruits for politicians, decent honourable non professional politicians just might tell the truth as they see it, the state wouldn't allow it.

Last edited by: gordonbennet on Mon 26 Jul 10 at 22:57
 Economy set for 'triple whammy'. - smokie
"Making more people move more Chinese tat around" ...

Which is all very well until moving stuff around is no longer viable, as govts tax flying and fuel more and more heavily - especially for what they might consider to be luxuries.
 Economy set for 'triple whammy'. - teabelly
Doing what? There aren't enough jobs that's why lots are unemployed! And many are too pig ignorant or mad to be let loose anywhere near a functioning business. Best they stay at home scratching themselves on the dole quite frankly. Do you really want some of the knuckle dragging drug addled dribblers anywhere near you or your business? I wouldn't.

2.5 million officially unemployed. Several million more listed as economically inactive.

If you're working twice the time you should be aren't you robbing someone else of a job? If everyone stopped working overtime then I'm sure there would be more jobs available as work would be left undone. Too many employers are causing serious health problems by forcing long hours on employees as they know most people are too scared to tell them no. The maximum 48 hours needs to be brought down or at least include travelling time as many employers are taking the p.
 Economy set for 'triple whammy'. - smokie
Problem is, who is about to tell their bosses that they are overstretched and can't cope or don't want to do the hours when there are 100 people lining up for your job, at lower wages than you are on?
 Economy set for 'triple whammy'. - corax
>> >> >>1. start construction of new affordable/social housing<<

Wouldn't it be better to refurbish/modernise many of the existing houses standing empty? Cheaper, and won't use any more land.

>> >> >>2, Start building better roads en mass<<

If they hadn't let Beeching destroy half the rail network, maybe there would be a better infrastructure, keeping freight off the roads and allowing people who never wanted to drive in the first place to use the train instead, keeping the roads in better condition due to less traffic.

>> >> >>3. Lets start building new nuclear power stations
>> We do, however, need them.

We should have been building them 10 years ago.
you need to study what beeching actually did. Ok a bit was overcut, but mostly what he chopped was basket case infrastructure, and he saved BR.
>> you need to study what beeching actually did. Ok a bit was overcut, but mostly
>> what he chopped was basket case infrastructure, and he saved BR.

Yes, Beeching saw the rail system as a business rather than a public service. At the time they could not have forseen how much the traffic would increase on the roads, but the fact is if you keep treating rail transport as a business, it will be taken advantage of, and the private owners will profit and run, leaving the sorry state of affairs we have today, compared to French and German railways.

A bit like the Government saving the banks. They're already earning big bonuses for themselves, as if they've done such a good job of managing our finances. Why?
 Economy set for 'triple whammy'. - AnotherJohnH
>> Unfortunately politicians just do not have a clue....

>> Where are the engineers and scientists or even those who have an interest in such things ?

What, like a research chemist, retrained to become a barrister?

It may be what we need, but I'm not sure I'm ready for another Margaret Thatcher.

>> A bit like the Government saving the banks. They're already earning big bonuses for themselves,
>> as if they've done such a good job of managing our finances. Why?

Big bonuses? Because they can.

Under threat of taking the "money making" out of the City of London, if they can't.

The City may well be where most of the "post industrial" money is/was being made, but their business model is something I can't understand.
So lets bring the welfare state into the equation - state being the operative word!
It costs £billions of tax payers hard earnt's to fund and it must be one of the worst areas of waste in this country.
Take my little mate in Plymouth (21) type 1 diabetic, never done a days work in his life, his mother told the powers that be a complete pack of lies to get him social housing on top of his £108 a week (inc. DSL)
Now I can assure you that type 1 diabetes is a different ball game compared to type 2 and it is a nasty dis-ease to have to live with but - I know other type 1's that do a full days work AND bring up a couple of kids as well.
When my little friend comes to Cornwall and we go for a long walk, I have a job to keep up with him these days at 58, so why cant he even do half a days work?
This is just me talking about one welfare pig, but I could tell you about many, many others,
but no doubt y'all know a few yourselves.
French or German railways did not, nor do they now, have the miriad of branch lines we had at the end of the war. If you just take the Eastern Region, over 50% of the branch lines were carrying less than 10 people a day.

Look at the country, look at the rail network, and you will see the network is almost perfectly configured for the major population centres and movement north/south east/west.

Of course its a business. You dont think the French and Germans dont run it as a business?
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 27 Jul 10 at 09:46
 Economy set for 'triple whammy'. - No FM2R
>>You dont think the French and Germans dont run it as a business?

Of course they do. Its just that, for the French at least, that includes subisdy and protection.
>> Of course its a business. You dont think the French and Germans dont run it
>> as a business?

Of course it's a business but in those countries it works.
It works here.
 Economy set for 'triple whammy'. - Tooslow
The first railway, Stockton to Darlington, was built with the idea that the railway company would provide the track and others would provide the transport, following the model of turn pike roads. It was single track with passing places. When 2 engines met it was common for fights to start between the drivers, with passengers joining in, to resolve who was going to back up.

When the second railway was built, Manchester to Liverpool, it was intended from the start to be an integrated service with one company providing the track, trains, carriages, ticketing and bacon sandwiches. It was a huge success, paying dividends that were limited to 10% by statute, and started the railway craze which spread around the world.

Guess which model we use today.

JH
Latest Forum Posts