Non-motoring > Remembrance stuff..... Computing Issues
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 27

Remembrance stuff..... - No FM2R
An interesting fact, apropos of nothing, I was at a Garden Party at the British Ambassador's house in Chile a couple of days ago, and representatives of the Royal British Legion were also there.

They tell me that apparently 420 Chileans volunteered to fight with the British in WWII. The Legion currently supports 9 living dependents of those original Chilean volunteers by paying their medical expenses in Chile - they are old and unwell, and are not eligible for health insurance because of their age.

This is a life changing thing for them.

Such loyalty and memory quite makes one proud to be British.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 7 Nov 15 at 21:02
 Remembrance stuff..... - sooty123
Good stuff, the legion supports all manner of people irrespective of location. I remember a few years ago they were helping some E European pilots that had made their way to the UK to join the RAF during WW2, with things like house mods for wheelchairs. They are pretty good at remembering people that helped the UK and need help, regardless of how well known.

On a personal level, I know of the Brazilian involvement/volunteers but not Chilean. I'll have to do a bit of reading.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Sat 7 Nov 15 at 21:09
>> I know of the Brazilian involvement/volunteers but not Chilean.

I think Chile the country sat on the fence, but some Chileans, the individuals, stood up to be counted.
p.s. in my club there is apparently a plaque, which somehow I have failed to notice, listing them and their contribution. I was going to seek out next time I'm there, if I can I'll photograph it and send it to you if it seems worthwhile.

Presuming that you are interested, that is?
Yes please, pop it on a photobucket website or similar if that's not too much trouble. These very little known parts of WW2 interest me no end. Maybe dull to others, but I find all the (mainly) forgotten about parts of WW2 very interesting. The more obscure the better for me. Last thing I was reading about was those interened in all sorts of unusual places and then some about Japanese POWs who spent 10 years after the war had finished and were still in slave labour camps in Siberia.
Coincidentally just heard from one of the chaps because they are going to do a presentation at No. 1's school for me, and apparently there were more than 2,000 volunteers across WWI & WWII.

He tells me also that one or more of the Scottish Regiments are directly supporting some dependents. I have asked for details.

Apparently also there were volunteers to the Axis side. Bet they're not enjoying their medical treatment because *nobody* will be looking after them.
>> Apparently also there were volunteers to the Axis side. Bet they're not enjoying their medical
>> treatment because *nobody* will be looking after them.
>>

I've done some reading about that side of the volunteers and again after the war but the reverse, ie Germans with a past made a life in various south american countries.
The Scottish Regiment angle is interesting, add it to this thread if you find anything out, cheers.
 Remembrance stuff..... - Harleyman
I was on parade today, amongst the ranks of Armed Forces Veterans for the first time in many years, at Gosport since it coincided with a visit to my daughter.

Being a Navy town we were assured of a good turnout whatever the weather; thankfully it stayed dry and mild during the parde itself.

Despite the solemnity of the occasion there was a moment of light relief as the parade formed up, which I'm sure Old Navy and other ex-servicemen will get even if it is a bit subtle for the civvies.

Air Training Corps officer; "Corps will move five paces to the right."

Voice from middle rank of Veterans; "Army and Navy just advance ".

Worth it for the sight of Royal Navy Warrant Officer in charge of parade trying hard to suppress a snigger.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Sun 8 Nov 15 at 18:37
 Remembrance stuff..... - MD
That must have been priceless.
 Remembrance stuff..... - Roger.
While doing a course at a naval shore establishment - navigation, I think it was - our little bunch of Bootnecks were on parade with Jolly Jack.
It seems for unknown reason, Jack doubles off parade.
Not being light infantry (long past the old days of the old RMLI & RMA split in the Corps) it was decided that on the order "Double off" we would march off in standard R.M. quick-time.
We got a roasting!
Actually Jolly Jack can march decently if minds are engaged. :-)

Remembrance stuff..... - legacylad
I was on the 10:11 train from Settle to Edinburgh via Carlisle this am. Just before 11 the conductor announced that a minutes silence would be appreciated. A nice touch and obviously respected by everyone in the carriage.
Just back from a jolly night at the Stand Comedy Store near York Place. Ten of us grabbed the front row seats and there was plenty of audience participation. In fact we got almost as many laughs as some of the comedians.
I'm now Pedro from Yorkshire. Well, he did ask my name.....
 Remembrance stuff..... - Crankcase
We were in a cafe having morning coffee yesterday at 11. They had signs everywhere saying they were going to do the two minutes thing, then on time, a staff member stepped forward made a loud announcement.

Everyone fell silent, apart from the table next to us. I'd imagined it was going to be the tiny kids making the noise - well, they carried on as they had been, but the adults just carried on chatting too.

I couldn't decide whether it was deliberate or they were just so wrapped up in their talk of Cousin Sue and whether she looked nice in that dress last week that it passed them by, but they didn't twig for the whole thing, not even when the same staff member said loudly "thank you very much" at the end.

But I guess in the scheme of things we just need to be grateful to the people who preserved our way of life such that we are blinking well able to sit in a coffee shop having buns on a Sunday, and that Cousin Sue has a nice dress at all.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Mon 9 Nov 15 at 10:01
 Remembrance stuff..... - Cliff Pope
Perhaps they are intending to show their respect by falling silent for 2 minutes at 11.00 am on 11 November in the traditional way. What's so special about the 8th?
 Remembrance stuff..... - R.P.
11th for me. Traditionalist.
 Remembrance stuff..... - Mapmaker
>> 11th for me. Traditionalist.

Well, of course, since 1939 the act of remembrance has been on a Sunday so as not to interrupt wartime production. Only in the last decade or so has 11th been commemorated in this fashion.

Is that a fact? I did think it was new*

And before 1939?

[*relative term used by old people for anything less than 30yrs old]

Remembrance stuff..... - Crankcase
>> Perhaps they are intending to show their respect by falling silent for 2 minutes at
>> 11.00 am on 11 November in the traditional way. What's so special about the 8th?

I expect that will be why Corbyn didn't apparently abase himself sufficiently on Remembrance Sunday either. He's going to do it on Wednesday in Primark.

Sooty,

Got a spreadsheet detailing.....

SURNAME & NAMES
SERVICE / REGIMENT
FROM / ORIGIN
STATUS
DECORATIONS

Loads of British names. British names are quite common here, and even more so at that time. Some of them may have been British, or children of British, or married to either. I know nothing beyond this spreadsheet, although I can probably get any questions answered that interests you.

Its 15 years old, but interesting for all of that.

Where should I send it? Assuming that you're interested that is, none taken if not. My email address is in my profile.

Its ok to share, but I think posting openly it would be a bit OTT.
p.s. actually two spreadsheets, one for WWI and the other for WWII
Spreadsheet sent as requested. Let me know if it doesn't arrive.
Thanks, interesting stuff. Surprised how many expats were out their to join up to start with.
Not necessarily Ex-pats. Although some will either be expats or 1st or 2nd generation from expats.

There are other factors;

Chile was colonised by the Spanish over several hundred years. There were many British names in Spain. Look up Bernardo O'Higgins for example. Many of these names moved to Chile.

There were many emigrations in the 1800s to here; for example driven by mining experts who moved here bringing their mining and copper expertise as the copper works in the UK, particularly Wales, ran out and shipping ore from Chile to the UK works became less viable.

Frequently sailors, including from the Merchant Marine would leave their ships in Valparaiso and settle here, long enough to get married and have children, even if they then didn't remain.

Equally, surnames do not change by marriage, so immigrant names tend to survive longer.

People are very proud of their names, and so retain and them. My wife's name is;

Christian_name1, Christian_name2, Fathers_surname, mothers_surname do husband_surname.

But when referred to by/in the UK, such as in this spread sheet they tend to be referred to as Christian_name1, Husband_surname

There is much more.

On the subject of these volunteers I shall find out more since I have a dinner with the Ambassador at his house next week and I know one of the guys involved in this will be there.

Also, I am a member of the PWCC ( www.pwcc.cl/ ) and I know some records are held there which they have said they will try and dig out.

I am happy to send everything I find to you if you wish.
Yes I thought there would be quite a few moving out there from the UK. I just imagined there would be more spanish surnames for some reason.

Yes if it's not too much trouble. Thanks.

Nice country club btw.
 Remembrance stuff..... - Mapmaker
>>Apparently also there were volunteers to the Axis side. Bet they're not enjoying their
>>medical treatment because *nobody* will be looking after them.

I'm surprised. The German war pensions have always been very generous indeed.
>>I'm surprised. The German war pensions have always been very generous indeed.

Perhaps, I have no idea. I certainly have no idea how it would impact the medical expenses of dependents of dead military.

I can find out if you're interested.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 10 Nov 15 at 13:02
 Remembrance stuff...The last post... - henry k
I found this quite interesting

The story of the Last Post
www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34768398
 Remembrance stuff...The last post... - Bromptonaut
>> I found this quite interesting
>>
>> The story of the Last Post
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34768398

A good turnout at Northampton's memorial behind All Saint's Church (and under my office window) yesterday. Couple of hundred people perhaps.

Last post sounded to start the two minutes with the Legion's flag lowered in time. Two minutes later reveille and the standard bearer raised it again. Buses and everything stopped. Only a couple of people moved.

Notices on the counter and in waiting room explained to clients that staff and volunteers would be observing the silence. No dissent that I was aware of.
If ever there was a need for permanent disposal of a worthless being....

www.itv.com/news/london/2015-11-11/poppy-seller-71-fighting-for-life-after-being-mugged/
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 12 Nov 15 at 15:01
Latest Forum Posts