Non-motoring > New Sony Ericsson X10 Mini Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Fenlander Replies: 7

New Sony Ericsson X10 Mini - Fenlander
Youngest daughter wants one of these for her birthday this weekend. Mixed reviews on the net mainly regarding poor battery life and a less than intuative operating system (Android 1.6). Anyone have any direct experience?
Last edited by: Fenlander on Thu 22 Jul 10 at 10:40
 New Sony Ericsson X10 Mini - Dog
I always find these helpful Fenlander ~

tinyurl.com/2vx3pnu (Amazon customer reviews )
 New Sony Ericsson X10 Mini - RattleandSmoke
Arnold is fine, my sister can use it without any compalints but I am not sure it would be suitable for a younger person. Arnold phones are slightly geeky, they are aimed at people like me that says "*** ***" to Apples offerings :).

My next phone will be Android based. Currently running a Nokia N97 Mini with Symbian.

Arnold? What Arnold the Android??

Those Amazon reviews are a bit mixed too with the same battery/usability issues mentioned. My own phone is basic but does the phone thing superbly and they are less than £50 (we need to buy contract free for her). At this low price point I'll happily take a chance but the X10 Mini is £249.99 which is a fair old punt if she doesn't get on with it!
BTW my daughter just wants to make voice calls, send texts, listen to stored music and take decent photos. She doesn't want web or mail services, gps or any other *toys* so might it be a smartphone is over expensive/complicated for her use?
Just to round up...

Carphone Warehouse were good enough to get a new X10 Mini out of the box for my daughter to try. Simply put the phone/screen is too small for the complexity of it's abilities. Fiddly and frustrating to use due to the lack of space on the screen to layout the options clearly. Camera not that good either. As Rattle says one for the geeks who want to say they have the smallest (I guess it is) smartphone made.

Thankfully wandering round the shops she changed her mind and had an IPod touch instead which will give greater rewards.
 New Sony Ericsson X10 Mini - Crankcase
How is she going to make voice calls on an iPod Touch, as a matter of interest? Or did she decide she didn't need the phone bit after all?

Fair question.

Currently her *devices* are a decent mobile, video camera, still camera and basic IPod. She initially thought it was her phone she'd like upgraded hence the original question. Once she found out the minimal gains and significant drawbacks to the phone thing a wander around the shops made her realise she'd prefer the IPod Touch as a present. The ability to use it for basic web/mail applications from the wi-fi in our house was a great attraction.

Relief for me as I could see the phone thing was a waste of money once we looked into the details.
Latest Forum Posts