Non-motoring > you need one of these Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 22

you need one of these - Zero
www.thingcharger.com/g/welcome/

But they aint cheap - 40 squids
 you need one of these - CGNorwich
Not sure I would pay £40 for one of those. it does stick out from the wall a bit too.

Something like this might be useful though.

tinyurl.com/phnh7rl
 you need one of these - Robin O'Reliant
Not much good for the car battery though, is it?
No but I don't think I have ever needed to charge a car battery in all my car owning life.
>> Not much good for the car battery though, is it?

which is why its in "non-motoring'
 you need one of these - Pat
www.amazon.co.uk/Allocacoc-PowerCube-Extended-Socket-Built-In-Grey-White/dp/B00KNWVRYS

We keep one of these in the caravan and find it compact and good for charging both phones while using the laptop/tablets.

Pat
 you need one of these - Roger.
...but you can't use the devices when they are being charged, unlike the traditional length of cable method.
 you need one of these - Alanovich
Charging is simply not a problem for anyone whose battery life is reasonable. I.e. non-Apple devices.
>> Charging is simply not a problem for anyone whose battery life is reasonable. I.e. non-Apple
>> devices.

Except when you run out on your non apple device, It does happen. The days of the 6 day charge nokia phone are long dead everywhere.
 you need one of these - Bromptonaut
We have three of these stationed around the house and another in the caravan.

tinyurl.com/o568dhw

Four gang trailing leads provide any additional flexibility we need.

Experience suggests some USB chargers, mostly those supplied with phones, have a puny output and won't charge tablets etc. The Bluetek device above has enough milliamps for two tablets at once and auto regulates for multiple devices.
 you need one of these - Alanovich
I've never once run out of charge with my android phones. They always give me at least 24 hours, even with moderately heavy internet use. All my mates with Apple stuff are always bringing out their charging blocks and faffing around on a day out. Baffling that they put up with it.
 you need one of these - RattleandSmoke
The trade price of those USB sockets are around £10-£11, I thought about one but you know what I can't see what is so hard about using a traditional 2 amp 5v USB charger. I have a much bigger battery in my Samsung S4 because I find a normal one doesn't last me through the day.

When I am on my travels I can 30 hours without a mains socket and when I am on long coach and train journeys I use my smartphone a lot. I find the bigger battery lasts the entire duration but I do switch off the internet during the night.
 you need one of these - Fursty Ferret
The trade price of those USB sockets are around £10-£11, I thought about one but you know what I can't see what is so hard about using a traditional 2 amp 5v USB charger. I have a much bigger battery in my Samsung S4 because I find a normal one doesn't last me through the day.

I can tell you what's hard about using a "traditional 2 amp 5v USB charger". By the time you've plugged two of them in you've no sockets left for the radio / lamp / alarm clock / toaster / TV etc etc.

I've swapped most of the plug sockets that are easily accessible with these (the posh ones with a chrome front, they're occasionally on offer at Screwfix) and they're a lifesaver. I do have a drawer full of homeless chargers now, though.

The only problem is that the socket isn't permanently powered and seems to detect a load before it switches on. Won't work with a USB wireless charging pad.
 you need one of these - WillDeBeest
...a traditional 2 amp 5v USB charger

...decorated with horse brasses and corn dollies?

I did pay £8 a few months ago for a 'pass through' USB transformer that will charge two appliances (one if it's an iPad) without blocking the socket. It's installed next to the kitchen radio - although a charging iPhone is not a good neighbour for an FM radio - I do actually switch it to DAB if I ever need to do both at once - so that's what DAB is useful for! Still, doesn't matter at night.
It is rumoured, though I find it difficult to believe, that many years ago people didn't have mobile phones at all and could carry on with their lives and businesses for many days at a time without access to a charging point.

I don't think that could be true.
 you need one of these - henry k
>> All my mates with Apple stuff are always bringing out their charging blocks and faffing around on a day out.
>> Baffling that they put up with it.
>>
I was "dining" in a pub a few weeks ago when an attractive lass approached me. I thought my luck had changed :-) No she asked to be excused and bent down to extract her phone on charge in a socket by my chair.
Priorities, priorities !
 you need one of these - No FM2R
>> The days of the 6 day charge nokia phone are long dead everywhere.

Actually if my S5 is put in Power Saving mode (which pretty much reduces it to old_nokia_level with only telephone, SMS and a black and white screen) it will apparently last 13 days.

Now I don't know about that, but it definitely lasts longer than a week because I've done it and I came back with still 3 or 4 days standby showing.

And since its one icon to press to switch in or out, its not difficult to do.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 29 Oct 15 at 11:26
 you need one of these - rtj70
Since Samsung uses an AMOLED screen, then using a black background in itself reduces power usage
 you need one of these - No FM2R
I am sure you're correct.

However for me under normal conditions it lasts more than a day, so it gets charged at night on a wireless charger by my bed and under other conditions power saving gives it a week or two at a press of the button.

And that would be about the maximum effort I am prepared to put into a phone.
 you need one of these - Mike Hannon
>>The days of the 6 day charge nokia phone are long dead everywhere.<<

Not in my house.
 you need one of these - RattleandSmoke
My Galaxy S1 is now over 5 years old, I still use it as my business phone but have internet, WIFI, Bluetooth and GPS turned off. It lasts around 8 days on a full charge and I make/receive around 10 phone calls a day on it.

I use it has a none smart phone but with the big screen makes it so easy to use as a business phone rather than a traditional Nokia type phone.
 you need one of these - Robin O'Reliant
>> >> Except when you run out on your non apple device, It does happen. The days
>> of the 6 day charge nokia phone are long dead everywhere.
>>
No here guvnor.

My Samsung flip phone (Not even got a camera, let alone internet) lasts 2 1/2 weeks without going near a charger, and would easily reach three if I hung on.
 you need one of these - Crankcase
Apple iPhone 5. Don't turn anything off, so not only wifi and bluetooth and location services and 3G where available happening, often forget to turn off TomTom after morning commute too. Runs 16 hours no problem, which is my day. Usually hovers about 20% charge by that point and then it gets plugged in overnight.
Latest Forum Posts