Non-motoring > Essential news item - Bacon sandwiches Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 108

Essential news item - Bacon sandwiches - No FM2R

newsthump.com/2015/10/26/joy-of-bacon-sandwich-overrides-cancer-risk-says-everyone/

[be aware, there is a rude word]
 Essential news item - Bacon sandwiches - Bromptonaut
There's another newsthump item on same theme exploiting Cameron's alleged exploits with a dead pig.....

And funny ones about Osborne's problems with the Lords too....
 Essential news item - Bacon sandwiches - Robin O'Reliant
www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/health/it-wasnt-worth-it-says-103-year-old-vegetarian-20151027103301
 Essential news item - Bacon sandwiches - R.P.
On the other hand, I have three friends all of whom suffer from Vitamin B12 deficiency, they are all on injections to supplement the problem. All three are vegetarians - Guess where you get B12 from naturally...
 Essential news item - Bacon sandwiches - Zero
Just been to the builders merchant. Completely by chance arrived there at an appropriate time to purchase a cancer giving builders baguette* from the chuck wagon.

(bacon, burger, sausage, fried egg, & fried onions in a sub)
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 27 Oct 15 at 12:59
 Essential news item - Bacon sandwiches - Stuartli
>>(bacon, burger, sausage, fried egg, & fried onions in a sub)>>

Yay!!!

Enjoy what you want so long as it's in moderation. Life's too short not to do so and we're only here once.
newsthump.com/2015/10/12/cows-are-a-type-of-vegetable-insist-drunk-vegetarians/
 Essential news item - Bacon sandwiches - Manatee
It's a hackneyed refrain, but moderation in all things seems the sensible course.

The bacon thing isn't new news, although it seems to have progressed from "don't eat too much" to "don't eat any" judging by the headlines.

The statistics suggest (which is all they can do, in the absence of decades-long controlled experiments) that eating 2 slices of bacon a day increases the chance of bowel cancer by 18%. That's 18% of a 6% lifetime probability, or about an extra 1% chance. Not quite the death sentence that the headlines suggest.

In the UK, around six out of every 100 people get bowel cancer at some point in their lives.
If they were all had an extra 50g of bacon a day for the rest of their lives then the risk would increase by 18% to around seven in 100 people getting bowel cancer.
"So that's one extra case of bowel cancer in all those 100 lifetime bacon-eaters," argued Sir David Spiegelhalter, a risk professor from the University of Cambridge.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34615621

Most people probably don't eat two slices a day - we have proper breakfast on Saturday or Sunday, about four slices a week each.

I do like a sausage, but I tell myself that the "good" ones aren't really processed meat. Of course red meat is also on the 'list' - but there evidence is less strong and it only "probably" causes cancer.

Further research is expected to show that the sum of death rates from all causes will add up to 100%.
>>Further research is expected to show that the sum of death rates from all causes will add up to 100%.

I suspect that you'll find with the way media reports work these days it is likely to add up to at least double that.
 Essential news item - Bacon sandwiches - Cliff Pope

>>
>> Further research is expected to show that the sum of death rates from all causes
>> will add up to 100%.
>>
>>

So it's a wate of time trying to make some things safer, because all you are doing is increasing the danger from other things you thought were harmless. :)
 Essential news item - Bacon sandwiches - CGNorwich
"So that's one extra case of bowel cancer in all those 100 lifetime bacon-eaters," argued Sir David Spiegelhalter, a risk professor from the University of Cambridge."

Which isn't much statistically I guess but I guess but for the poor person who who was that one extra case and dies a pretty horrible death it's rather significant I would think.
 Essential news item - Bacon sandwiches - Harleyman

>> Which isn't much statistically I guess but I guess but for the poor person who
>> who was that one extra case and dies a pretty horrible death it's rather significant
>> I would think.
>>

Worth pointing out I suppose that getting bowel cancer in itself is not fatal. Finding you've got it, too late, is.
 Essential news item - Bacon sandwiches - Dog
>>Guess where you get B12 from naturally...

Eggs. Vegetarians normally eat 'em, although I've yet to see a vegetable egg, except at Eastertime.
 Essential news item - Bacon sandwiches - Alanovich
It's not naturally occurring in the product, but there's plenty of B12 in yeast extract spread (you either love it or hate it).
I always ass-umed brewer's yeast contained B12, but apparently not - unless it's fortified:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yeast#Beer
It's the cereals that contain the B12 in beer. Unfortunately the alcohol may negate some of the therapeutic benefit. I'll keep trying it though.
I sup pose real ale would be higher in B12 than the mass-produced golden throat charmers - best to sleep on your own though after a phew pints of that.

:o}
 Essential news item - Bacon sandwiches - Roger.
Living causes death, a new study of the world 's population has revealed..
 Essential news item - Bacon sandwiches - legacylad
I probably only eat a bacon sarnie once a fortnight, so should be ok. Always in white bread, sometimes with a sausage, or an egg, or even field mushroom.
I'm really looking forward to some proper dry cured smoked short back from my local butcher. All you can get here in the bfast diners is streaky stuff, expensive too, so I don't bother. Not that I don't like streaky, but I'm saving myself for next week.
 Essential news item - Bacon sandwiches - The Melting Snowman
>> best to sleep on your own though after a phew pints of that.

I have a room downstairs where I sleep if I have been to the pub with the darts team.
 Essential news item - Bacon sandwiches - MD
Wrong consonant?
 Essential news item - Bacon sandwiches - WillDeBeest
I have a room downstairs where I sleep if I have been to the pub with the darts team.

All in one big bed?
Bill Murray:

'...we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.'
 Essential news item - Bacon sandwiches - Armel Coussine
I had a bacon sandwich today: buttered white bread, six smoked streaky rashers, a bit dried-up, fried in a bit of olive oil until crisp, a few thin slices of tomato and two or three sheets of lettuce. It looked a bit stark like that so I added some salad cream, something deplorable which I like.

I ate it all, but it wasn't very nice. Thirty years ago I would have thought it was terrific. You get more critical with age. It's a nuisance.
Lettuce? Tomato? Salad cream?
In a bacon butty? You've lost the plot AC
>> fried in a bit of olive oil

Mrs A informed me the other week that, according to those internets, using olive oil for cooking is carcinogenic. I have been instructed to replace with rapeseed oil (until someone says that's carcinogenic, I suppose).

Still, she's a cancer survivor so a bit sensitive. Compliance assured. Apparently olive oil is still OK uncooked, in dressings and the like.
Everything will have its turn.
Lard is due for a come-back in the healthy eating league.
Yes - it's a waste to use good olive oil for cooking if it is heated to a high temperature. Apart from the (alleged) health risks, most of the flavour is ruined.
I, however love good extra virgin olive oil (Oleo de Cazorla is superb though hard get in the UK).
If I make a bolognese sauce I always put a good table spoonful in AFTER cooking. That way, the flavour persists.
Try, for breakfast, toast with a goodly splash of olive oil, instead of butter, a sprinkling of salt and then add a few spoonsful of skinned, de-seeded tomatoes mashed to a pulp.
If you can't be bothered to faff about with the tomatoes, just slice then and lay on top of the olive oiled toast.
Last edited by: Roger. on Thu 29 Oct 15 at 09:03
People generally fry stuff at far too high a temperature. I sauté stuff with olive oil mixed with butter at a much lower temperature. Onions are see through but not dark brown, eggs are solid whites but not "brown frizzy edged"

Clearly some stuff need that volcano temperature tho, chips, stir fry, tempura, etc, and yes olive oil is not suitable at these temperatures. Veggie oil needed there.

And Lard, for a while demonised, is now (as long as its pure) is now being rehabilitated as much healthier than first thought.
www.zazzle.co.uk/eat_lard_t_shirt-235674870608142582
>> And Lard, for a while demonised, is now (as long as its pure) is now
>> being rehabilitated as much healthier than first thought.
>>

And beef dripping is best for fish and chips.
 Essential news item - Bacon sandwiches - Pat
>> beef dripping is best for <<

Removing the solid part and standing in the middle of the kitchen eating the jelly with a spoon:)

Made me hungry now.

Pat

>> Removing the solid part and standing in the middle of the kitchen eating the jelly
>> with a spoon:)

Dripping on toast done by an open fire using a toasting fork - my Gran's c1964.

>>
>> And Lard, for a while demonised, is now (as long as its pure) is now
>> being rehabilitated as much healthier than first thought.
>>

I thought I was joking, but fact now seems to catch up quickly with fiction.
What about:
whale meat ("Snook" I think was the old brand name way back)
seal blubber as part of your new eskimo diet ?
Snoek is a type of bony fish , not whale meat. It comes form South Africa and was imported as a tinned product at the end of the war in an attempt to alleviate the food shortage. Pretty horrible to eat I think and not due for a revival any time soon.
>> Snoek is a type of bony fish , not whale meat. It comes form South
>> Africa and was imported as a tinned product at the end of the war in
>> an attempt to alleviate the food shortage.
>>

I'm sure that's right. But there was whale meat as well (in fact I have an advertisement for it cut from an old paper), and my parents recalled that it was a popular joke to call whale meat "snook" in allusion. Wags would sing "Whale meat again, don't know how ... " after Vera Lynn.
According to Wiki whale meat was available during the war and was 'off ration'. However, paradoxically, it smelled awul but tasted of nothing and was not popular. Snoek was imported after the war, as suggested above. While the Ministry of Food apparently thuoght it OK with flavoured sauce or curry the public thought it bland.

Presumably the memories have become conflated.
I fries me eggs in organic cold-pressed sesame oil and have ten eggs per week to keep my cholesterol levels up.

Heating olive oil spoils the 'good' fats, as does frying eggs!
>> Heating olive oil spoils the 'good' fats, as does frying eggs!

Radio 4's The Food Programme last Sunday focussed on fats. Interesting discussion around the half way mark about good v bad fats and differing Omega numbers:

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06ltb5d
I've tried frying eggs in olive oil, but didn't like the taste whereas I like the taste/flavour of sesame oil.

I eat quite a bit of coconut oil. I have it on toast and crumpets believe it or not. I like a bit of crumpet now and again.

I also have nut butters - peanut and almond. I quite like tahini too.

I bought a couple of bottles of organic hemp oil, and started having a tbs per day, but I knocked that idea on the head.

I eat nuts regularly, but I think I'll increase my intake of walnuts - I actually roast my spuds in walnut oil.

I used to take a daily omega-3 cap at one time, but I think I need to up my intake of that oil, so I'll get some more ground flaxseed oil and put it on my salads and the ole woman's porridge.

I've successfully used coconut oil (oil pulling) in conjunction with colloidal silver and iodine to treat a tooth abscess.
I wouldn't bother mentioning it on the root canal thread because people would think I'm a crank :o)

I told you I was ill.
>> I actually roast my spuds in walnut oil.

Ouch.
Yeah, that's the first thought that comes to my mind when I see some fresh bread with fried bacon in between;

"Ooooo, must stick some lettuce in that".

Said nobody, ever.
>> Said nobody, ever.

I'm surprised by the multiple responses to my innocent bacon sandwich post. They include the strong suggestion from FMR that I don't exist, or had made a lying post.

I'm honoured of course that so many people have opinions on what I should and shouldn't eat. It won't save me now though, much too late.
 Essential news item - Bacon sandwiches - Slidingpillar
I can do without bacon sarnies, until it snows. As soon as the ground is white, even if I've not been out in it, I get a craving for a bacon sarnie.

And no, neither my camel nor I am pregnant... Tricky too, I'm a bloke.
>> "Ooooo, must stick some lettuce in that".
>>
>> Said nobody, ever.

Did AC not just attempt what we gourmands call a BLT? A great invention IMO.

I think the mistake was the frying in olive oil. I've tried, on the grounds that olive oil is a good thing so will make bacon better, but it really doesn't. A bit of rapeseed oil, basic not fancy, such as is sold as 'vegetable oil' by supermarkets is better. Or grill it.
I think you're right Manatee. We have rape, groundnut and some sort of unspecified vegetable oil.

I'm always in a hurry and figured the bacon would burn more quickly in oil. But it was a mistake. Grilling is good but our grills are a bit mysterious to me.

The toxic by-products of overheated extra virgin olive oil haven't taken me out yet.
The unspecified wegetable oil may be rapeseed if you look for the small print.

I usually grill, but not if I want it crispy - grilling is OK for just 'cooked' but it seems to go very tough and hard, or just burnt, beyond that.
I loved bread buttered with beef dripping when I was small. Big beef joints were hard to get in the forties, but the butcher liked my mother, and my Dublin aunt used to send us joints, huge turkeys and so on, there being no food rationing in Ireland.

I wonder if I would still like bread and dripping? Must remember to try some next time there's a chance.
I think I can run my SAAB on rapeseed oil, so as a bonusI've always got a few spare litres in the house now in case of emergency.
You could of course just keep a few spare litres of diesel:)
 Essential news item - Bacon sandwiches - neiltoo
Nah! Tastes awful!
>> I think I can run my SAAB on rapeseed oil,

think you'll find thats what someone put in the gearbox.
WW1 fighter pilots whose aircraft had rotary engines flew in a fine mist of castor oil, used as a lubricant in all high-output petrol engines in those days (and for some vintage uses until now).

Think about it: trying to shoot German planes down and avoid the Red Baron while in a permanent state of the runs. There's more to military heroism than meets the eye.
Sensible ones were probably on opiates. U boat officers were encouraged to do likewise as the lavatory provision on U boats was more than a bit sparse.

In case you didn't know, most opiates have a constipative effect and U boats only had two toilets, one of which was used for food storage in the early days of a voyage. Crew were as much as 50 in number...
Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Thu 29 Oct 15 at 20:21

>> In case you didn't know, most opiates have a constipative effect

Codeine has that effect on me, (in spades!) but Tramadol does not!

TMI................... laxatives don't help much - the only cure is abstinence from Codeine!
Codeine in its natural form is an opiate, although most if not all of it these days is synthesised.
You guys are worse junkies than I am.

It's true though that people can function quite well in most ways while addicted to opiates.

I take a mild dose of senna with my late-night small aspirin. Wouldn't want to fight it with junk and have to up the dose. That's silly junky stuff.

You can see why medics depend on opiates. They really work. I'm holding them in reserve for my last days. Not quite yet.
Sitting eating my bfast in the Original Pancake House this am I got chatting to a guy at the counter who brought up the bacon subject. It's hit the headlines here in AZ. Moderation in everything he said.
Tucking into a huge plate of scrambled eggs, with a thick layer of salt & pepper on top. Another plate with a full stack of pancakes. And a third plate with bacon, a steak and grits. Smartly dressed, white shirt, black trousers, patent leather shoes, he was at least 25 stone. He waddled out to his Cadi Escalade and I swear it went down on the suspension when he got in. If that's moderation.....made my day though.
Apart from the bloke sat in 23C ( I was in 23A) puking into his sick bag before we even took off! He had punctured a lung 6 months ago , was shaking like a leaf and had not cleared flying with his doctor. The CC offered him the opportunity of returning the aircraft to the gate but he thought about it and declined, so I was nominated to watch him. Thanks Delta!
 Essential news item - Bacon sandwiches - Robin O'Reliant
Great article in today's Comic -

www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/wellbeing/diet/11966447/This-healthy-eating-obsession-is-pure-poison.html
 Essential news item - Bacon sandwiches - madf
>> Great article in today's Comic -
>>
>> www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/wellbeing/diet/11966447/This-healthy-eating-obsession-is-pure-poison.html
>>
>>

Having read the above, seems the world is full of people with not enough work and too much time to be obsessive..
Arrived home yesterday lunchtime after my easy 3 flight commute from sunny CA. 4 hours kip, shower, walked to pub, several pints of beer with a proper head on it. Then guess what my first meal was? Yep. 6 rashers Dry cured unsmoked back bacon with cheap white bread. Perfect.
 Essential news item - Bacon sandwiches - VxFan
>> 6 rashers Dry cured unsmoked back bacon with cheap white bread. Perfect.

And was it washed down with a couple of cans of heart failing Diet Coke?

tinyurl.com/nq98g6y - www.independent.co.uk (other articles are available)

It seems if we eat/drink we die, and if we don't eat/drink we die. Might as well do the former and enjoy ourselves ;)
Always with a cup of tea. Milk & sugar. Proper milk not that dishwater stuff.
I never drink Coke/ Cola or any fizzy drink....the only exception being the odd bottle of San Pelligrino fizzy water with a suitable accompanying meal in warm weather. I do not drink any pop ( soda). Tap water every time for me.
>>Tap water every time for me.

That'll get you if nothing else will.

Essential news item - Bacon sandwiches - Clk Sec
>> >>Tap water every time for me.

Very nice when filtered...
 Essential news item - Bacon sandwiches - helicopter
It was always a ritual when I returned from working in the Middle East to head for the local greasy spoon for a full English.

Now I only have bacon ,Sainsburys middle cut and Lidl eggs at the weekend .....with wholemeal toast.

No brekky today as we are off to try out the lunch at a newly Michelin starred restaurant....

Enjoy your lunch. Personally I've never tried 'fine dining'.
The nearest I've come to Michelin are the Alpins on my car.
Winter tyres anyone...
 Essential news item - Bacon sandwiches - Stuartli
>>Yep. 6 rashers Dry cured unsmoked back bacon with cheap white bread. Perfect.>>

Cheap white bread was the only mistake...:-)

It's not good for you.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Wed 4 Nov 15 at 16:55
>> white bread was the only mistake...:-)

A necessary evil sometimes, though. Yesterdays lunch of salmon sandwiches wouldn't have been quite the same without it.
I like a slice of "Mother's Pride" style Chorleywood bread occasionally. Great for ham, bacon or that epicurean delight, a crisp sandwich.
 Essential news item - Bacon sandwiches - Mapmaker
The good news is that home-made bacon is fine, as it doesn't contain nitrites or nitrates (unless you use saltpetre).

If you've never made it, now's the time. Get some belly pork. Rub a mixture of salt and brown sugar and some herbs (bay, juniper, cloves, imagination) in. Put in a ceramic bowl in the fridge covered with cling film. The following day, drain off the liquid and repeat. Repeat a couple more times. Then you have your healthy bacon - all you need is to slice it.
Surely it won't be long before we see "Nitrate/Nitrate Free Bacon" on supermarket shelves.

See also: Unleaded petrol, Suger Free pop, fat free yoghurt, victory-free Chelsea teams etc etc.
>> Put in
>> a ceramic bowl in the fridge covered with cling film. The following day, drain off
>> the liquid and repeat. Repeat a couple more times. Then you have your healthy bacon
>> - all you need is to slice it.
>>

No smoking - doesn't sound like bacon?

See
www.finecooking.com/articles/how-to-make-diy-bacon.aspx
>> No smoking - doesn't sound like bacon?

Why is there smoked and unsmoked bacon in every supermarket then?
Good point.
But then unsmoked bacon always seems like a non sequitur to me - like decaf tea or non-alcoholic wine. What's the point?
South American bacon is not very good. Or at least, its not "proper" bacon like wot it should be.

Does anybody know if that is because of the cut of meat that is used, the preparation or the cow it comes from? Or indeed some other factor.
 Essential news item - Bacon sandwiches - sooty123
South American bacon is not very good. Or at least, its not "proper" bacon like wot it should be.

>> Does anybody know if that is because of the cut of meat that is used,
>> the preparation or the cow it comes from? Or indeed some other factor.
>>

If they used the right animal that might help.
Oh rollocks, how foolish. Still, you know what I mean.

Dammit.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 5 Nov 15 at 19:18
>> Oh rollocks, how foolish. Still, you know what I mean.
>>
>> Dammit.

Sorry couldn't resist, I think it's what they get used to. I've not any experience of South American bacon, is it similar to that served in the US and Canada? If so you have my sympathy. I think it's the breed and how they cut it.
 Essential news item - Bacon sandwiches - Crankcase
>> Oh rollocks, how foolish. Still, you know what I mean.
>>
>> Dammit.
>>

youtu.be/Tsdmqhn50uM
SQ 4 VLB
>> If they used the right animal that might help.

Ignoring the typo, there is some truth in "the right animal" thing. Pig breeds vary enormously around the world, so its a combo of the animal, the feed, the cut and the preparation.

American breakfast bacon is usually horrid. As are their sausages.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 5 Nov 15 at 21:37
So I am essentially screwed?
Yes - get someone to ship you frozen bacon from the UK. It thaws well.
 Essential news item - Bacon sandwiches - Kevin
You can get decent bacon in the US from Whole Foods Market.

It's described as "Irish" bacon.
>>American breakfast bacon is usually horrid.

But their hotcakes with lashings of maple syrup are wonderful.
>> Good point.
>> But then unsmoked bacon always seems like a non sequitur to me - like decaf
>> tea or non-alcoholic wine. What's the point?
>>

It's for those that don't like the smoked flavour of bacon and prefer unsmoked bacon.
Unsmoked bacon is often known a "green" bacon. I believe it's more popular in the North than the South although you can get it anywhere. Useful for cooking if you don't want a smoky flavour in the dish.
>> Unsmoked bacon is often known a "green" bacon. I believe it's more popular in the
>> North than the South although you can get it anywhere. Useful for cooking if you
>> don't want a smoky flavour in the dish.

Interesting I've never noticed a North/South split with bacon, but then i can't say I've looked too closely either. Never heard it called green bacon either. Whereabouts did you hear it called that?
It's always been called Green darn sarf.
My southern Waitrose has "Smoked bacon" and Unsmoked bacon" on the packets. No mention of colour.
There is certainly a regional variance in bacon preference. The chap who I buy bacon from on Norwich market confirmed my observation. Norfolk is very much "smoked" territory.

What do the northerners here eat?

Have always known unsmoked as "green". I come form the London area but I think it's a widespread term.

See

www.trevilleyfarm.com/content/green-unsmoked-back-bacon
>> There is certainly a regional variance in bacon preference. The chap who I buy bacon
>> from on Norwich market confirmed my observation. Norfolk is very much "smoked" territory.
>>

Well I'll take your butchers word for it. Never noticed it myself nor heard of it.

>> What do the northerners here eat?

Unsmoked but I'm not overly bothered either way.

>>
>> Have always known unsmoked as "green". I come form the London area but I think
>> it's a widespread term.
>>

Yes, I'm sure some people call it that, I'm not sure it's that well known?
I've never heard of green bacon. If it's green it usually means it's gorn orf somewhat.
News will eventually filter down to Carnwall me ol' Mucker. X
>> Get some belly pork. Rub a mixture of salt and brown sugar and some herbs (bay, juniper, cloves, imagination) in ............

>> all you need is to slice it.

Sounds very good... but I bet you have to do it a few times before you get it right.
>>Sounds very good... but I bet you have to do it a few times before you get it right.

No. You'll get it right first time. TBH, you can fry belly pork in thin slices and create something truly delicious. The more it turns into bacon, the more like bacon it becomes. So you can't really go wrong.

You're trying to produce something delicious, not to replicate the nitrate-stuffed water-filled bacon from Tesco... so it doesn't really matter what happens!
For a country which is so good with pig meat, Spain produces utterly vile bacon.
Some people on another site complaining about the inhuman slaughter of pigs....and then saying it's down to Halal--- you couldn't make that up !
As an interesting aside (well, it's interesting to me), the Croatian variant of Serbo-Croat uses non-Roman, traditional Slavic names for the months of the year. December is "Prosinac" - which translates into English as "Slaughter of Pigs". How poetic. Last month was "Listopad" - literally "the falling of leaves". I rather like their versions. But I wouldn't if I were a pig.

I have never thought to investigate the quality or lack thereof regarding bacon type products in Croatia or other parts of ex-YU. They tend just to roast the thing whole on a spit and cut it up afterwards with axes in most parts of former Yugolandia.
On the grounds that the entirely of middle/eastern Europe thrives on pig products, I imagine it's rather good.

My corner shop stocks quantities of scrumptious pork-derived products from Poland. Dirt cheap too!
Indeed. I've taken to ordering the Polish preserves, pickles, jar and bottled sauces and some cooked meats in place of the usual when doing our online grocery order. Also, ASDA supply us with a fabulous Israeli made houmous. Way better than any other kind available. Highly recommended if you like a houmous (Yarden is the brand name if anyone is interested).
www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAqyPrKgiJM

I may never be able to look a bacon butty in the eye again
>>For a country which is so good with pig meat, Spain produces utterly vile bacon.

But mighty-fine jamón.
Oh, Jam and butter!

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/11981884/Cooking-with-vegetable-oils-releases-toxic-cancer-causing-chemicals-say-experts.html
I haven't used corn or sunflower oil for years. I've tried frying eggs in coconut oil, but it's too strong a flavour for me.
I've fried eggs in butter too but couldn't take to that either, ditto olive oil, so I use sesame oil.

I've done chips in groundnut oil, which I believe is peanut oil, but I have McCain's chips twice a week, which are, um, coated in sunflower oil, as is the Birdseye cod I have on Fry day.
 Essential news item - Bacon sandwiches - Old Navy
Have you tried Canola oil? It is sold as vegetable oil in the UK and is also called Rapeseed oil.
I've never considered using rapeseed oil, being I don't have a diesel car :) but I've read that it is a healthier alternative to sunflower oil so, if I did try it, it would have to be the cold-pressed stuff - which is a tad expensive,
as is the organic cold-pressed sesame oil I use.

www.meridianfoods.co.uk/Products/Other-ranges/Oils-Organic/Organic/Sesame-Oil-100

www.clearspring.co.uk/collections/organic-cold-pressed-oils/rapeseed-oil

I smother the 3 x salads I have per week, in Farchioni Il Casolare ev olive oil that the ole woman buys from Tesco, which I see (having just read the label) is blended, so probably more Spanish than Italian but, even I have to draw a line somewhere cos this healthy-living lark can get somewhat expensive.
I often lay awake in bed at night thinking of all the money I'll save when I'm dead.

Essential news item - Bacon sandwiches - Old Navy
Although my food is supervised by Mrs ON I am sure that having lasted this long I will be long dead before anything fit for human consumption does me any harm.
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/11988947/Italian-companies-investigated-for-passing-off-ordinary-olive-oil-as-extra-virgin.html
Latest Forum Posts