Non-motoring > Alkaline Batteries and Fire Risk Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 2

Alkaline Batteries and Fire Risk - Bromptonaut
A few years ago somebody here posted a picture of the aftermath of an office fire thought to be caused by a dodgy alkaline battery.

Just now, sitting typing a response to smokie's Bear Hunt thread I became aware of a ticking noise somewhere to my left. The printer is over there plus various items used recently or needing attention including an old digicam, my 'spare' mobile and a broken bike headlamp*. Turned off printer to no effect and picked up other stuff to listen to.

Turned out to be an AAA battery, removed from something or other due to leakage, repeatedly arcing between the -ve terminal and the case. Stopped when I picked it up but item was taken outdoors pronto!!

* and before anybody starts there's a new one on the bike.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 25 Oct 15 at 09:49
 Alkaline Batteries and Fire Risk - Fursty Ferret
Out of curiosity, did you mix brands / partially discharged batteries in your light?

An alkaline battery leaks when it's being recharged, which is why you shouldn't mix partially charged batteries with new ones, or different brands.
 Alkaline Batteries and Fire Risk - Bromptonaut
No.

I cannot recall where the battery came from but it wasn't the light - that takes 4 * AA. I always change batteries as a set and try to avoid mixing brands.

Talk of recharging Alkalines reminds me that such things were sold for a while - ten or so yrs ago IIRC Ray o Vac and GreenErgy were the two brands. Eventually got hard to find and disappeared from the market. Lasted far fewer cycles than NiMh etc but output the full 1.5volts so good in my Sony radios all of which go straight to low battery if I try NiMh/Nicad rechargeables.

I still have the charger but resist temptation to use it with conventional Al batts..
Latest Forum Posts