Non-motoring > M6 advice please Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Westpig Replies: 10

M6 advice please - Westpig
The Westpig family are doing their usual trip to Fort William in 5 days time.

Going up won't be such an issue as I'll leave at 0200 on Fri and look forward to my big boy's brekkie at Shap... the rest of the journey will be what it will be, it's never that bad from the Lakes onwards.

Coming back, will be different this time, as we'll be leaving a holiday let near Aberfeldy in Perthshire on Saturday and driving straight back to South Devon.

Usually we leave our relatives at 8pm and drive through the night, however, a holiday let will want you out by 11am or similar.

A mate has just done Fort William to Devon and said the M6 near Birmingham was a true nightmare (when isn't it).

So, what to do?

The first bit seems like A9, M90, then make a decision at Edinburgh as to which route after that, with a presumption that M74 and M6 is the preferred option.

Then what?

1, stick with M6, accept Birmingham will be awful and wait for M5 as and when

2, M6, M6 toll, M42, M5

3, Or was I hasty at Edinburgh and should I consider A68 to Darlington, A1M to Leeds, M1 to Leicester, M69, M42, M5 and miss the M6 altogther?

4, ?

At this point in time, option 3 looks a no-no, unless I can be persuaded. Option 2 is my preferred option.

Any thoughts would be welcome, thank you.
 M6 advice please - zippy
If you can, use the M6 toll, I have never been held up on it and it is very lightly used. It takes the strain out of bumper to bumper traffic on the M6.

Be careful at the tolls. They are 30 MPH zones. When you slow down there will be an idiot still doing 90 up until the last second.

Sorry can't advise on the rest of the route.
Last edited by: zippy on Sun 18 Oct 15 at 12:10
 M6 advice please - Robbie34
If you are going for the M5, I would not use the M6 toll. The M6 is often like a car park, but it's much quicker, and cheaper, to miss out the Toll. The variable speed limits have helped to speed traffic on that section of the M6.

I travelled to Cornwall in May and was pleasantly surprised at the lack of hold-ups on that section on a Saturday.
 M6 advice please - njgleeds
Just go with option 1...it's nothing like as bad around there as people like to portray and given its a Saturday, you'll more than likely sail straight onto the M5 at 50mph
 M6 advice please - Bromptonaut
Half term seems to be spread over two weeks this year. Sis and her kids in Leicestershire are off this week. We have it next, a pattern that occurs about one year in three. Not just Leics, other places are off this week too. That may mean the 31st will be easier than last weekend in Oct is other years when pretty well all of England and Wales have same week.

Not sure how much there is to choose between Birmingham and the West Yorkshire conurbation when it comes to delay, neither do I know the A68. If my experience going to Scotland in MAy is anything to go by don't rely on the A66....

The lad being at Uni in Liverpool I'm up and down the M6 pretty regularly. The whole Staffs>Black country>Brum section can be a 'mare - Junc 13 southwards. Avoid that altogether by using A500>A50>M1, leaving M6 at J15. Drops you onto the M1 at J23A/24. Works a treat but I've still to work out an avoid for the S Cheshire section J19 south to 16 which is all too often stop start.

Not sure how that fits in with Devon though FWIW my route from Northampton to Plymouth is via Daventry and Southam to join the M40 at Gaydon then M40>M42>M5>A38.

A50>A42>M42 may be a similar longer but faster dodge or you.

M6 advice please - Old Navy
The Midlands M6 is your problem BUT I would suggest a better way out of Scotland. Stick with the A9 Aberfeldy to Perth and then on to Stirling, then M9, M80, M73, M74. This cuts out the Edinburgh area and Forth bridge construction works and is effectively one side of a triangle. This is the most direct and quickest route to the border with good roads once past Perth.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 18 Oct 15 at 13:25
 M6 advice please - Bromptonaut
Agree with ON about route witihn Scotland, unless of course you want to show your kids the Forth bridges.
 M6 advice please - Roger.
As long as you avoid The Sturgeon and The Salmond you'll be OK.
 M6 advice please - PeterS
>> Agree with ON about route witihn Scotland, unless of course you want to show your
>> kids the Forth bridges.
>>

And if you do want to to see the Forth bridges then I'd avoid the next few weekends as it's going to be closed from what I've seen when pasing over it recently...

www.forthroadbridge.org/news/full-a90-closures-scheduled/

M6 advice please - Old Navy
I gave a heads up on that some time ago.

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=20797&v=f

The closure is for the removal of a replaced bridge to the south of the Forth Road Bridge where the A8000 crosses the A90.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 18 Oct 15 at 18:09
 M6 advice please - Westpig
Thanks... avoiding the Forth Bridge was worth posting this on its own.
Latest Forum Posts