Non-motoring > Hospital Computing Issues
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 9

Hospital - Armel Coussine
Called a very old close friend in hospital yesterday. He'd just had a tumour removed from his colon, under local anaesthetic I think (they don't like giving general anaesthetic to old geezers like us). Anyway he said it hurt a lot.

He said the dollies in the hospital are excellent though (nurses he meant). They probably like him because he's handsome, stoical and classy.

He'll be in there for another week so I'll call again in a day or so. His family is rich and powerful but he isn't, so I imagine it was an NHS job, not private. His mood won't be soothed by his longtime gf or her daughter, both of whom are fruitcakes, the daughter dangerously so.

I'm ready to drive him home to the furthest point of Kent, more than 100 miles from here and 80-odd from London where the hospital is. I hope I won't have to though. There's someone else who can do it (although in a less comfortable car), but I'm hoping the NHS can run to an ambulance.

Operations even under local are gruelling for people of our age, late 70s. When I had my ghastly branchial fistula removed I was very foxed for a good couple of weeks afterwards.
 Hospital - R.P.
I'd be willing to help with transport if you were stuck and I was closer..hope he's ok...
That's very nice of you Rob. But I'll be up to it I hope. What I failed to mention is that my buddy's family is very eminent in motoring circles too.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Fri 16 Oct 15 at 16:03
 Hospital - Cliff Pope
HJ ? :)
>> HJ ? :)

Tsk... excellent cat for sure, stoical no doubt, but handsome and classy? Depends where you're coming from I suppose.
Went to see my friend again today. In the nick of time, he's coming out tomorrow. He has tough genes and is a tall rawboned guy, but looking very pale and innocent today in pyjamas and a strangely familiar ragged dressing gown, with childlike blue eyes. His father and favourite uncle were both Bentley Boys, and those were some tough hard-living cats.

Guy's is just near London Bridge station. I can get a train there from the nearest small town, with one change at Horsham. Connecting train meant a wait of only 6 minutes going and 10 or so coming back. Connected with Herself up the Smoke and we came back together in the train.

In the station car park I reversed hard into the sharp corner of a Land Rover, dented the wing badly and shattered and sprang the lamp cluster whose glass alone costs rather a lot. Just hope the Land Rover, which suffered a very small bend on a lower rear corner, doesn't belong to a triumphalist greedy carphound of a farmer who just loves to hear the pips squeak.

Damn damn damn again.
>> reversed hard into the sharp corner of a Land Rover, dented the wing badly and shattered and sprang the lamp cluster whose glass alone costs rather a lot.

But: all the bulbs are still working, and I found a bit of red plastic big enough to jam in durably over the main, dual-filament bulb at the bottom.

Have to have a word with the fettlers and body men. Not looking forward to it. I really hate a lot of filler, but a real proper panelbeater job isn't going to be free exactly. Some sort of compromise will be called for.

Might see what the nearest Chrysler dealer has to say. At least they will be able to get the wireless out of the facia and make it work. I don't think the AA covers me for punching myself in the nose though. Heart sinks at the prospect of being confronted with a suspiciously shiny 'finished job' and the eye-watering bill to go with it.

Oh damn and tchah!
 Hospital - Fenlander
10 days ago 20yr old uni daughter reported she'd reversed into a concrete pillar in her accom underground car park at a bleary eyed 6.45am on the way to her part time job. I bought a used complete light unit and sent a parcel of that with two rags and some compound paste. Light fitted with live skype instructions from me and a bit of polishing out on the bumper and it's sorted for £23 inc postage.

7days ago 18yr old at home daughter caught her n/s rear door/wheelarch on a concrete pillar trying to get in the tightest multi storey space in town. That's booked in for a £420 repair next week!

Very much luck of the draw.
 Hospital - Bromptonaut
Is it worth claiming on your own insurance AC? We did that when Mrs B misjudged the reverse round neighbour's daughter's awkwardly parked Nissan Cashcow.

Nearest Citroen body shop is in Aylesbury but apparently one of the chain/independent repairers has authorisation for vehicles under warranty.
 Hospital - madf
"Called a very old close friend in hospital yesterday. He'd just had a tumour removed from his colon, under local anaesthetic I think (they don't like giving general anaesthetic to old geezers like us). Anyway he said it hurt a lot.

He said the dollies in the hospital are excellent though (nurses he meant). They probably like him because he's handsome, stoical and classy.

He'll be in there for another week so I'll call again in a day or so. His family is rich and powerful but he isn't, so I imagine it was an NHS job, not private. "

Met a mid /late 60s man in outpatients this am . He had gone in on Friday, had a tumour removed from his colon and released today.General anaesthetic.No pain. Can eat and drink what he liked. (Stoke University Hospital). Seemed very happy with the procedure.

(Size of tumour? diagnosed in August - blood in carp).

NHS jobbie.
Last edited by: madf on Tue 20 Oct 15 at 14:23
Latest Forum Posts