Non-motoring > Bargain breaks - can anybody beat this? Car Deals
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 54

Bargain breaks - can anybody beat this? - RattleandSmoke
Just accidently booked a night in London for the total cost of £23.96 including a return train fare and the hotel. How is this possible?

That train is £11 each way and the hotel was just £1.96 as they were doing a special promotion. The only downside is I don't know the location that well as its over the Westminster bridge into Lambeth.

That is cheaper than staying at home.
 Bargain breaks - can anybody beat this? - sherlock47
Don't go out after dark!

"CYPERMETHRIN" and "D-PHENOTHRIN" 5L cans available cheaply on line.

Bargain breaks - can anybody beat this? - Zero
It depends how far over Westminster Bridge it is. If its only just over westminster bridge its fine.

Whats the name of the hotel?
 Bargain breaks - can anybody beat this? - Focusless
>> Just accidently booked a night in London for the total cost of £23.96 including a
>> return train fare and the hotel. How is this possible?

Got any links? Sounds good.
Should have added - it is South of the river.

I would thought that only a Nigerian scammer would refer to 'the Westminster bridge'.

I hope you cut and pasted that text Rattle!
Lambeth?

OMG

If you hear the whispering sound of "freeshhhhhh fiiiiiiiiiiiiisssssssh" stick a wedge under your hotel door.
 Bargain breaks - can anybody beat this? - Dog
Trust me, I'm a Doctor ~ Lambeth IS bad news!!
 Bargain breaks - can anybody beat this? - R.P.
You'll be doing the Lamberth walk when get back. Oh dear....!
 Bargain breaks - can anybody beat this? - Mapmaker
Yiou don't want to go to Lambeth without a bullet proof vest. Ever wondered how you can get a hotel room for a £1? Might have something to do with the fact that they cannot possibly sell hotel rooms there to people who value their lives.
 Bargain breaks - can anybody beat this? - Iffy
...Trust me, I'm a Doctor ~ Lambeth IS bad news!!...

Rattolo knows all about the likes of Moss Side, he'll not be fazed, although for the price he's paying I reckon he might be doing the Lambeth Walk to get there.

Bargain breaks - can anybody beat this? - Perky Penguin
If I was you I would visit www.tripadvisor.com PDQ and check out the hotel. You may find that £1 is well over the odds. Also I hear taxis don't go South the river during the hours of darkness.
>>Rattolo knows all about the likes of Moss Side, he'll not be fazed<<

Yeah, and he got out of Newquay alive ~ there you are Rattle, a new job for you, The C4P travel correspondent.
 Bargain breaks - can anybody beat this? - MD
Which 'otel Ratters??
Its called the Tune hotel, its a budget hotel which is based on the Ryan Air model. You have to pay extra for TV/Towels and all that crap. I simply want a bed more comfortable than a park bench in Hyde Park. They are selling some rooms for 1p plus booking fee and I was lucky enough to get one.

I know the area is not the best, the hotel is in the old Nationwide HQ (formally Lambeth Building society) but will probably just get the bus when going back to the hotel.

Newquay was really nice a lot of friendly young people wasn't rough in the way Blackpool is. However I was there on a Thursday. I didn't even know the place had a reputation until I got home as Newquay was never planned, I just ended up there as I saw far too many fights in Plymouth.

The downside is due to the cheap tickets I don't arrive in London until 2:45 but I don't leave Manchester until 12:35. On the way back I leave at 9pm so at least on the second day I get a full day in London.
Strangely enough two people close to my heart had Stag and Hen days in Plymouth. Not a mumur of trouble. Plod great and very tolerant I am told.

M
Just looked at the 'Tune' Hotels website. Should do the job rats, but don't be complacent at night if out and about. Very Nasty place.

M
 Bargain breaks - can anybody beat this? - Iffy
..,very nasty place...

Just a few hundred yards over Westminster Bridge - even a Fast Black would be prepared to take you that far south of the water.

Quite a few attractions locally - it's almost gentrified.

www.tunehotels.com/our-hotels/westminster-london
Last edited by: ifithelps on Tue 20 Jul 10 at 20:52
its close enough to the river to be half safe.
Yeah ... I got it now, not too bad an area, I knows it well, even got a pie & mash shop nearby ~

tinyurl.com/2ubm8ds
 Bargain breaks - can anybody beat this? - FotheringtonTomas
It's an opening promotion, by the look. Looks OK. Can't see what the fuss is about re the "don't go out at night".
 Bargain breaks - can anybody beat this? - smokie
Yeah, you'll be fine. I've stayed in some very dodgy places over the years in London and elsewhere. Go and enjoy it! London is great!!
 Bargain breaks - can anybody beat this? - Dulwich Estate
You'll be just fine. It's 5 mins away from Waterloo mainline station - you'll hear the rumble of trains and after midnight when it's more quiet you'll hear Big Ben.

It's all of 5 - 10 minutes stroll from the southern end of Westminster Bridge. Taxis will be no problem.

PS A big secret us Londoners have is that in actual fact Westminster Bridge runs East - West, so you'll be on the eastern end.
Doin - The Lambeth Walk.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oimHJCURbo
>>>actual fact Westminster Bridge runs East - West, so you'll be on the eastern end. <<<

But you are still in 'Souf Lonon'!
I think its sowf lunden, Mr Z told me :)
 Bargain breaks - can anybody beat this? - Mapmaker
Deadly serious. Even the policemen wear bullet-proof vests around there.
>>Even the policemen wear bullet-proof vests around there<<

Like Harman did when she went walkabout in her own constituency (Peckham)
 Bargain breaks - can anybody beat this? - helicopter
Rattle - what a brilliant deal. Don't worry about the area -its fine.

My son until recently lived very close to there , if you want a great place to eat try here

www.urbanpath.com/london/gastro-pubs/the-anchor-and-hope.htm

Very cheap by London standards but the food is Michelin quality.Get there early in the evening because they have a no booking policy and they make use of all the space so may put someone else on your table.

Took my son there with friends on his birthday for lunch last year and had a great meal.

The waiter advised that as we were four and the table was for six he would have to seat two more at our table when the place filled up - I jokingly said thats fine as long as he found us two gorgeous young girls.

We had just finished our starters when the waiter reappeared with two cracking looking young ladies and sat them next to us -

As he cleared out dishes he smiled at me and inclined his head towards the young ladies and quietly enquired .. 'everything satisfactory sir?'.........
 Bargain breaks - can anybody beat this? - SteelSpark
>> booked a night in London for the total cost of £23.96...How is this possible?

>> The only downside is I don't know the location that well
>> as its over the Westminster bridge into Lambeth.

LOL

Just watch how the atmosphere changes when you get to the south side.

Oh, speaking of Moss Side, I spent a fair bit of time staying with with friends in Moss Side back in the 90s...would rather holiday there than in Lambeth...
Last edited by: SteelSpark on Wed 21 Jul 10 at 11:14
 Bargain breaks - can anybody beat this? - Armel Coussine
Don't listen to this alarmist stuff Sheikha. No one will bother you as you know perfectly well.

Watch out for the owls though. If you get past them, come over this side for a snorterino.
>> Watch out for the owls though. If you get past them, come over this side
>> for a snorterino.

Don't listen to AC, it's probably a trap. I'm sure he lives on the wrong side of the park...which is even worse than Lambeth...
I won't be walking over the bridge at night, I will make sure I just get the bus and make sure I get off nearly outside the hotel. I wouldn't really fancy the tube at that time.

It is still very central London but then some of the worst parts of Manchester are next door to some of the best parts.
>> I won't be walking over the bridge at night, I will make sure I just
>> get the bus and make sure I get off nearly outside the hotel. I wouldn't
>> really fancy the tube at that time.

Always pays to keep your wits about you of course but, as AC suggests, you'll be absolutely fine...just not an area that most people would choose to spend time in, which might explain the good discount you got on the hotel...

Worst thing that'll happen to you on Westminster Bridge is getting food poisoning

I've spent many a late night staggering around Elephant & Castle and I'm still here to tell the tale...

Who knows, maybe you are in the Marriott on the south bank :)
 Bargain breaks - can anybody beat this? - rtj70
So the hotel has some rooms without windows... so Rattle might not have to worry about the view.
 Bargain breaks - can anybody beat this? - Bellboy
this might sound silly but ive spent all my adult life going to areas im warned not to and never felt afraid and touch plastic keyboard never been mugged
however last time i was in my nearest large town on a saturday night, because i knew it well, i was well frightened
Yep and it concerns me a little bit, I used to work in an office coding CSS and that had no windows. I hated it.

Bargain breaks - can anybody beat this? - rtj70
If there are rooms for £1.96 and they have some without windows, then there is a chance you might get one. But it's probably one night and it's only costing £1.96. If you come back when it's dark does it matter?
It dosn't have a window, it clearly stated that before I booked :). And it shouldn't matter as I won't be in the room much. It will just be very strange waking up and not having a clue what the weather is like. I have never slepped in a room without a window before.

For the money I can't complain at all. In fact for the money I wouldn't complain if it didn't have a roof.
I wouldn't complain if it didn't have a roof.
>
>>>>>>should a booked a park bench then
and you get to see first light
someone will nick your shoes of course.........................
A park bench is not secure, its a pitty there wasn't any proper camp sites in central London that would be quite interesting.
buck palace looks ok just dont nick the gates as you go in
I suppose I could always take a rusty spanner with me if I camped out at the palance.
 Bargain breaks - can anybody beat this? - Armel Coussine
I can remember two hotel rooms without windows, one in Barcelona and one in Cheyenne, Wyoming. They weren't very nice. But they weren't the worst places I have had to sleep in either.

It doesn't help if there's a sort of fanlight giving onto the corridor or airshaft. You don't get fresh air but you do get noise.
 Bargain breaks - can anybody beat this? - R.P.
I had one on Las Ramblas in Barcelona - no windows. Shocking place it was booked over the 'net in the early days of web based viewing. It was just like the room the Meldrews had in One Foot in the Algarve.
It can't be as bad as the Travelodge in Bristol or the Wetherspoons Lodge in Minehead. Both didn't have double glazing and both windows were next to the fans. The Wetherspoons sounded like I was sleeping under a jet plane with its engines firing up.

In general I don't expect anything from London rooms other than a bed.
They are no longer called windows, they are "outside awareness panels"
>>In general I don't expect anything from London rooms other than a bed<<

A bed man, you expect a bed as well for your £1-96? goodness gracious me!
I've slept in a fair few rooms with no windows in my time, now let me see ...
There was Camberwell nick, Peckham nick, Rotherhithe nick,
oh and Lambeth nick funnily enough, I'm talking about the detention rooms btw, where all you have is a wooden chair in the corner and a bare lightbulb on all night but, you get an half decent brekkie come the morn,
The last time I slept in a room with no windows was on the ferry from Cadiz to Santa Cruz in Tenerife, that didn't bother me then, but now I come to think about it, I'd want a porthole if we took to water again.
 Bargain breaks - can anybody beat this? YES! - sherlock47
Taken from an on line advert at www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/hotel-sales

1p London hotel rooms: Tune Hotels sale

What: 1p room sale When: Stays 1 Jan '11 - 30 April '11
How: Book online at Tune Hotels Type: No frills
Ends: Within minutes. Sale starts 12.01 Midnight 27 July Where: Westminster, London
Restrictions:
Notes: A new hotel in London (near Westminster) is offering rooms for 1p a night for stays between 1 Jan '11 - 30 April '11.

Rattle, you have obviously been done. Rip off Britain - Overpaid by 19500% !
 Bargain breaks - can anybody beat this? YES! - Mapmaker
Seriously, Rattle, you need to be very careful around there. If I were you I'd want to be back at the hotel by 7pm at the absolute latest, it's a really dangerous area there, AC's only teasing you.

Tourists are often pushed off the bridges by local youth even in broad daylight, so make sure you order a cab. I'm sure the receptionist will do so for you.
 Bargain breaks - can anybody beat this? YES! - Bellboy
Mapmaker seriously is it that bad?
tourists scattered all over the banks of the thames after being pushed off bridges on an hourly basis
i know lambeth was ruth 39 years ago but is it now in a state of 70"s bronx?
 Bargain breaks - can anybody beat this? YES! - Mapmaker
Lord yes, I wouldn't go on holiday to London if you paid me.
 Bargain breaks - can anybody beat this? YES! - Dog
There are some cool cats living in Lambeth you know ~

www.archbishopofcanterbury.org/108
 Bargain breaks - can anybody beat this? YES! - Fenlander
Taking the OP's question of bargain breaks - can anyone beat this?

If you travel a few miles further north the cottage that has this view works out at under £12 per person per night mid season.

www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1472090
 Bargain breaks - can anybody beat this? YES! - RattleandSmoke
Indeed but then they charge £1.95 booking fee for most types of cards, just like Ryan Air.

Surely the area cannot be that rough, its just a main road looking at it from the google. I've been through proper Lambeth before and that was very bad even in the day but this is still basically central London.
 Bargain breaks - can anybody beat this? YES! - Dog
This used to be my boozer, its just down the road from Lambeth (as the cockney Sparrow flies)
Great position on the river overlooking my local church (St. Pauls)

www.london-se1.co.uk/restaurants/info/375/founders-arms

Another good pub just down the road is The Anchor Bankside although it looks more like a restaurant these days, alas ~

www.london-se1.co.uk/restaurants/info/99/the-anchor-bankside

Also, in that area you've got Shakespeare's Globe theatre + The Tate Mod, all within walking distance.

Don't chicken curry about South London, you'll be ok.
Latest Forum Posts