Non-motoring > Garage remote control Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 17

Garage remote control - BobbyG
I have a roller door on my garage that is controlled by remote-control or by the buttons on the unit.
A remote control is about £25 or so and I would like another couple without that cost.

I assume it is not hi-tec with "rolling codes" or anything like that, its a simple remote with up/down/stop buttons.

Is it possible to get a cheap control and get it programmed using my existing control? If so who would do such a thing and how much?

(I suppose in a way I would be quite happy if the system was too secure to allow this sort of thing!)
 Garage remote control - FotheringtonTomas
I should see a locksmith for advice (not just a key-cutter).
 Garage remote control - devonite
Its only an infra-red signal, maybe one of those "all in one" remotes that does things like tv,stereo, lights, computer etc might do?? it appears they are "self - learning" so may be able to work???
 Garage remote control - Perky Penguin
I think Devonite is on the money here. Perhaps a local Maplins, if you have one, could advise?
 Garage remote control - sherlock47
Very few are infrared, (some of the very old ones). Most modern ones use 433MHz and/or 866MHz and rolling code technology.
 Garage remote control - L'escargot
Ask Crusader Door Systems. Tel: 01708 346767.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Tue 20 Jul 10 at 07:53
 Garage remote control - Bigtee
433MHz This is the frequency also used by Amateur radio opperators and i as been one sometimes play havoc with my neigbours garage the door goes down when he's in it. ha ha ha.

Garage remote control - R.P.
They're coded by jumper pins in he control box - (like we had to use to "tune" printers in dot-matrix days) - the "frequency" on mine was on a sticky label in the box's lid - I ordered from this code and my remote works.
 Garage remote control - Iffy
The bloke who sold me my remote controlled garage door told me the plipper works on a rolling code.

Then I suppose he would, wouldn't he?

One thing I have noticed is the plipper often needs a second click of the button to get the door moving.

It's almost as if the first click is a 'sighter'.

Garage remote control - R.P.
May well that the Technology has caught up - my installation is about 13 years old.
 Garage remote control - sherlock47
Until about 15 years ago there were many'illegal' imported devices around - some operating at about 300Mhz. They used fixed coding with 8 or 10 way DIL switches. Gradually most suppliers switched over to the allocated frequencies and started to include rolling codes.
 Garage remote control - Runfer D'Hills
Try asking these guys Bobby. I used them to fit secure remote control garage doors to the parking bays at my office on Clydeside many years ago. They were OK people then. Long time ago mind.

www.aardee.co.uk/
Will do Humph, but you have also prompted me that I have a small indie guy who does the roller shutters at my shops and has recently fitted a r/c shutter door - wonder what he can do for me.

Thanks for other suggestions as well, I will follow these up.
Humph, out of curiosity and nosiness, where was your office???
Corner of Clyde St and Maxwell St. Not all all posh then. Above what was Morrison's Bar. It's all gone a bit riverside development now hasn't it ? I blame Taggart.
I work on the other side on Carlton Place
Is Morrisons a vegan wine bar or suchlike now ? Used to be able to get a plate of mince 'n tatties and a half pint at lunchtime for a £1. The lino floor and the formica topped bar was always spotless mind !
tinyurl.com/367so2c

The gap to the left was an office block that was pulled down a couple of years ago. They then started the piling which was constant every day but the financial climate changed and no further work has happened. I am sure this was the one that was going to be a luxurious hotel, part of some Australian chain.

Walk past Morrisons most days but couldn't tell you what they sell! At the back, nearer St Enoch centre is a fine dining establishment that has all lunch suppers at £3 or something similar!
Latest Forum Posts