Non-motoring > Anyone like Rugby Union? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 69

Anyone like Rugby Union? - Roger.
What about a thread on the R.U. World Cup?

I'll start anyway!

I was really disappointed in the struggle England had to overcome Fiji last night. Yes, England won, yes they scored the fourth try to earn the bonus point (I bet they'll be thankful for that in their tough group!).
I thought by and large the England backs were lacing in flair and guile, only being rescued by the very good performance of Brown at full back. Easily the "Man of the Match" for me.
The England forwards were average until the Fijians tired and England's big men replacements came on.
To concede TEN turnovers against a "minor league"nation such as Fiji was dire indeed.
All credit to the Islanders though: they gave England a wake-up call.
As for the weak referee using the Third Match Official (TMO) so often for a "pass-the-buck" ruling on infringements so many times - it's just not on.
Another very common failing is referees, not just this one, failing to ensure that the scrum half puts the ball into the scrum straight, as the rules require. This was blatantly done throughout the match.
 Anyone like Rugby Union? - sooty123
I tried getting into union just can't do it. Just doesn't hold my attention, too stop start. It needs to be more of a flowing game for me.
 Anyone like Rugby Union? - helicopter
Well I watched it in a bar here in Crete live with a litre of local red wine ......and I have to agree that England struggled,giving away far too many turnovers for my liking..

Currently sitting in a beach bar ,BB King playing in the background. 30 plus degrees here .Got a greek salad ,an iced coffee and jug of water having just been for a swim with SWMBO. The mile long sandy beach is busy........must be st least 15 people .......

And Pat said I would be bored with retirement ...........
 Anyone like Rugby Union? - Zero

>> for a swim with SWMBO. The mile long sandy beach is busy........must be st least
>> 15 people .......

wait till all the rubber boats come ashore this evening.
Just seen most of Georgia v Tonga.
The Georgian scrum was very strong - the Tongans are normally tough to shove around, but the Georgians did it.
Impressive in defence, the Georgians may serve up a few surprises!
 Anyone like Rugby Union? - henry k
I was there!!!
My daughter managed to bag three expensive tickets so son came too.
We were just above the press mob and over the tunnel so we had really a great view as seen on TV.

Transport
I had an easy train trip with a seat for the 13 mins from Kingston.
Son came by train to Richmond and then one of the many special buses to the ground.
Daughter started from Waterloo but a broken train forced a diversion to Hounslow and then eviction. Before starting a mass 30 min walk another train saved them.

We left at the very end of all the proceedings.
Many were still feeding their faces en route to the station.
We were in the minority going away from London so we bypassed the vast mob and joined a very short queue at the station.
My daughter decided to take a chance and try for a bus to Kingston.
10 mins later a buzz went round the mobile web surfers " someone has fallen on the tracks".
I was out of there immediately and to my amazement joined about a dozen folks at the bus stop as an empty bus arrived so an easy trip straight back to Kingston.

They evacuated the station and hords of police, ambulance and a couple of fire engines the had to get through a full width of spectators - chaos!!!
I understand it might have been two and a harve hour delay.
" You could always walk two miles to Richmond !"

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-34298951

The match was quite enjoyable except for the widely reported prolonged TV reviews.
The crowd noise was amazing. As expected the National Anthem was sung with"gusto!!!"
I now can understand the " Fortress Twickenham" tag as the level of noise was so loud.
Could there ever be such a biased crowd but there was a lot a adverse sounds when England did not perform well ?
I am looking forward to an All Blacks match at the Olympic Stadium.

Lots of photos.
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3240247/Knights-St-George-ready-battle-Fijian-warriors-s-just-stands-Fans-sides-flock-Twickenham-ahead-tonight-s-opening-Rugby-World-Cup-match.html

They missed one caption on the view from Eelpie Island of fans at a Thames side pub in old Twickenham. ( near the bottom of the photo list.
The Rugby barmy army at the "Barmy Arms" pub.
The biggest upset of the Tournament?
The Jaapies (RSA) beaten by Japan !!!!!!!!!
 Anyone like Rugby Union? - R.P.
Great win. Just been watching some clips. Great emotions in the crowd...brilliant
 Anyone like Rugby Union? - Focusless
>> The biggest upset of the Tournament?

Biggest upset of any tournament!
>> >> The biggest upset of the Tournament?
>>
>> Biggest upset of any tournament!

Compared to West Ham winning away at arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester City its a mere ripple on the richter scale.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 19 Sep 15 at 20:57
 Anyone like Rugby Union? - Alanovich
>> Compared to West Ham winning away at arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester City its a mere
>> ripple on the richter scale.
>>

You do the Essex Bandits a disservice. Winning against teams in the same division can only ever come as a mild surprise. Japan beating SA at rugger would be akin to someone like Blyth Spartans beating arsenal, Liverpool or Man City. Or Barry Cowan beating Pete Sampras (remember that nearly happening?).

I foolishly switched the game off after 20 minutes, expecting a dull procession/walkover. Gah.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 21 Sep 15 at 12:56

>> I foolishly switched the game off after 20 minutes, expecting a dull procession/walkover. Gah.

Yeah, being a Fulham fan gets you that way I guess.
 Anyone like Rugby Union? - Alanovich
>>
>> >> I foolishly switched the game off after 20 minutes, expecting a dull procession/walkover. Gah.
>>
>> Yeah, being a Fulham fan gets you that way I guess.
>>

Indeed. Only exception to that rule was when we came back to beat Juventus from 4-1 down in 2010. Now that was an upset and shock on the scale of the Japan v SA game, and I'm glad I stayed in the Putney End for the duration. Greatest night of my sport-following life.

Being a Scotchland follower as my national team, I'm a bit nervous of the forthcoming rugger match against Japan now.

Got tickets to Wales v Fiji and New Zealand v Georgia in Cardiff on consecutive days next week. Malta rugby shirt at the ready, beers ahoy.
 Anyone like Rugby Union? - Ian (Cape Town)
Oh dearie dearie me!
The nation is in shock, I tell you.
Still, they only have themselves to blame, picking a bunch of 'experienced' (ie old and crocked) players, and keeping their predictable gameplan.
 Anyone like Rugby Union? - Duncan
henry k

Glad you enjoyed it. I am going in this morning....

Next time - and anybody else:-

Turn right out of the ground instead of left and walk to Whitton station. You'll get a seat that way.

Or park your car somewhere around Twickenham Green. A reasonable walk to the ground and plenty of pubs on the way.
 Anyone like Rugby Union? - sherlock47

"Next time - and anybody else:-

Turn right out of the ground instead of left and walk to Whitton station. You'll get a seat that way."

Dont publish this advice - otherwise next time you will be fighting for a seat at Whittton.

>> Dont publish this advice - otherwise next time you will be fighting for a seat
>> at Whittton.

Don't worry about it, the advice is only good for half the stadium.
 Anyone like Rugby Union? - Duncan
>> Dont publish this advice - otherwise next time you will be fighting for a seat at Whittton.
>>
>> Don't worry about it, the advice is only good for half the stadium.

I naturally assumed that all C4Pers would only accept hospitality in the West stand.
The Pumas made the All Blacks work hard for their win.

Anyone like Rugby Union? - TheManWithNoName
Football = 90 minutes of running around pretending you're hurt.
Rugby = 80 minutes of running around pretending you're not.

Oh, and another...

Rugby exists because even footballers need heroes.

I don't normally watch team sports on TV but the Japan v SA match had be on the edge of my seat and cheering out loud when Japan scored their final try.

I've drawn Samoa in the office sweepstake. So far, so good.
 Anyone like Rugby Union? - Ian (Cape Town)
Good on you.
Samoa looked useful v USA on Sunday, and the locals are certainly worried thy may beat SA... or even if they lose, batter a few of our top boys.
Samoa play it hard...
 Touching moment. - R.P.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0ue0DH1clE
 Touching moment. - Zero
I don't mind the Taffs winning, but it means that a: they will be unbearable about it for ruddy years, and b: suffer from misguided delusions they can now go on and win the world cup.
 Touching moment. - ....
Ahem!
a. 1966
b. Every single World Cup for football when Engerland qualify in the red top press.
 Touching moment. - R.P.
Wales reserves did jolly well I thought.
 Touching moment. - R.P.
I was out until late - driving the 15 miles home was perfect....not one car on any of the main roads...!
 Touching moment. - Zero
>> Ahem!
>> a. 1966
>> b. Every single World Cup for football when Engerland qualify in the red top press.

Ah yes but, qualify they usually do.
 Touching moment. - ....
>> Ah yes but, qualify they usually do.

Under the aforementioned delusions of winning it. The only time in my lifetime England came remotely close was 1990 before my eldest son, who is now 22, was born.

I thought last years tournament was very good, probably the best I remember since 1990 which was also a very entertaining tournament.

Anyway, rugby, I enjoyed the game tonight and I'm not even Welsh.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 27 Sep 15 at 04:34
 Touching moment. - Zero

>> >> Ah yes but, qualify they usually do.
>> >>
>> Under the aforementioned delusions of winning it.

Nooo No delusions. We know we will get beaten by Germany on penalties.
 Touching moment. - WillDeBeest
Anyway, rugby, I enjoyed the game tonight and I'm not even Welsh.

I was out all afternoon and back late, so only saw the second half. My Welshness is five-generations dilute but it was still thrilling to see the red shirts win. England rugby is all a bit Range Rover and Jolly Good Bloke Olly for my taste, although I'll still be hoping they beat Australia.

Actually, Mrs Beest's Welshness is from only three generations back, so my children are a little more Welsh than I am.
 Touching moment. - Alanovich
>> England rugby is all a bit Range Rover and Jolly Good Bloke Olly for my
>> taste

It must be difficult opening your front door every morning in Henley-on-Thames! As sea of red trousers and checky shirts on the chaps and those sleeveless padded blue jackety things on the ladies. Nowhere on God's clean earth is more Range Rover and jolly hockey sticks than H-o-T, surely?
 Touching moment. - No FM2R
>> I don't mind the Taffs winning, but it means that a: they will be unbearable
>> about it for ruddy years, and b: suffer from misguided delusions they can now go
>> on and win the world cup.
>>

Abso b***** lutely - and I'm good at unbearable.

p.s. Dave! (Clicks fingers) Snip this for me, I can't be bothered.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 26 Sep 15 at 22:36
 Touching moment. - R.P.
Listening to the commentaries here in Wales over the last few weeks, they have been pretty realistic about their chances, especially with so many injuries before the tournament. Australia will be a toughie. I'm sure they're thanking God for that Yorkshireman playing for them whose mam took a holiday in Rhyl.
 Touching moment. - Ian (Cape Town)
Well, what a great day for the game.
Well done to Wales.
Our mob showed a much better performance than they did against the Japanese.
Canada v Italy? Could have gone either way.
 Touching moment. - Armel Coussine
I'm not a sporting person so Rugby Union was the bane of my life, one of many banes actually, at school from time to time.

You don't want to be running about covered with mud on a raw afternoon when you could, in a civilized world, be warm indoors with a book. Alas though, that was all too often my lot.
 Touching moment. - Roger.
Rugby, (for a forward), in the rain and mud is FUN!
 Touching moment. - Armel Coussine
>> Rugby, (for a forward), in the rain and mud is FUN!

For you perhaps Rastaman. Usually not for me.
 Touching moment. - Haywain
"and I'm good at unbearable"

Do you mean 'good at being unbearable', or 'good at coping with unbearable'?

Or both?
My household. Me: gutted
SWMBO: elated.

My daughter's household. Her: gutted.
My son-in-law: elated.

Last edited by: Roger. on Sun 27 Sep 15 at 09:46
 Touching moment. - helicopter
I was gutted....sat in a sports bar with several other English behind a trio of welsh fans in front, two fellows and a woman, all of them candidates for pie eater of the year......who scared the carp out of the many locals watching the Juventus game on another screen when they sang their anthem , the woman in particular had a beautiful soprano voice and hit the final high note spot on and earning a round of applause.

The volume she generated when Wales scored however earned her a near soaking from a disgruntled resident trying to sleep in an apartment anove the bar , it was nearing midnight after all....

Anyway life goes on .......a Cretan hornet has just committed suicide in our Greek salad...,,,,,the beach is slightly busier as it is a Sunday but still no more than 40 over a mile long beach ,temp 30 degrees, who cares about rugby.
 Touching moment. - R.P.
www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p033n6qg?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_sport&ns_source=facebook&ns_linkname=sport

Seems Wales has a world class Rugby and Soccer team - I'd swap it for a first world Health and education system though.
 Touching moment. - No FM2R
>>Do you mean 'good at being unbearable', or 'good at coping with unbearable'?

Neither really, I was trying to be funny but it didn't work out.

Mind you, with Welsh football one does need to get used to grabbing opportunities when one can; a win from the Welsh rugby team is a welcome relief usually.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 27 Sep 15 at 16:58
 Touching moment. - Ted

I don't give a tuppeny fart about rugby but my Welsh son-in-law has been round twice gloating.

What with that and the beating Manchester City took on Saturday, He, being a United ( pause to vomit ) fan is in red heaven. Even the Colombian bathroom fitter keeps muttering " 4---1 " as he meets me around the house.

I asked him how Colombia did in the World Cup....that kept him quiet for a while !
 Touching moment. - R.P.
Whoops...not a good result.
Absolutely stuffed by the sanguinary Okkers.
 Touching moment. - Harleyman
Not quite the usual sneery-jeery reaction down here; probably because England's loss saves Wales from having to beat Australia to qualify.

I think I will now be backing the Welsh, they being fellow Brits (albeit grudgingly so at times) though if they do win the tournament the smugness may be utterly insufferable.
 Touching moment. - R.P.
In fairness, ever since Wales were chucked into the Pool of Death there's not been much public smugness and in fact with all the injuries they suffered in the warm ups and the early games that smugness turned to fear. Turning out the reserves against England should have been the kiss of death though....but as we all know, it wasn't.
>> In fairness, ever since Wales were chucked into the Pool of Death there's not been
>> much public smugness and in fact with all the injuries they suffered in the warm
>> ups and the early games that smugness turned to fear. Turning out the reserves against
>> England should have been the kiss of death though....but as we all know, it wasn't.
>>

No; taking nothing away from the Welsh performance, England committed suicide through poor tactics and discipline.
 Touching moment. - Ted

I just don't care.....not after watching Kun Aguero's goalfest yesterday. Five in 23 minutes !

Now that was a touching moment ! Proper footy !
 Touching moment. - Haywain
"I just don't care.....not after watching Kun Aguero's goalfest yesterday."

And, of course, both Bury Town and Coalville Town won their FA Trophy games - Coalville coming back from 0-2 at HT to win 3-2 - a touching moment indeed!
Well, England's WRC swan has duly vocalised, or their fat lady has sung, as they unsurprisingly beat the part-time amateurs of Uruguay by 60:3.
Frankly it should, against that sort of opposition, been by three figures - at times the South Americans made England look ordinary. (Well, we now know they are).
How the best funded, by a country mile, RF nation, with the largest player pool in the world, managed to screw things up so thoroughly will be chewed over like a bulldog with a tasty bone.
I will be surprised if there is not a culling from top to bottom of the English ruling "old farts" as they were once described, I believe.

Wales and Australia - blood and sand - a real no try scoring war of attrition with the Wallabies performing heroics to keep out the Welsh, when the sin bin was occupied by two Ockers at the same time.

The standout nail-biter was Scotland V Samoa which was a real treat of a free-scoring game.
The Jocks nearly lost to the Pacific Islanders - how does such a small island population produce so many good players?

Postscript from an England perspective - how utterly stupid does Robshaw's penalty to the corner in the dying seconds of their game with Wales, decision look now?
Granted Farrell might not have made the three points to draw the match, (he was kicking very well though) but if he had, England would be through to the quarter finals.
Bummer.

Last edited by: Roger. on Sun 11 Oct 15 at 13:42

>> Postscript from an England perspective - how utterly stupid does Robshaw's penalty to the corner
>> in the dying seconds of their game with Wales, decision look now?
>> Granted Farrell might not have made the three points to draw the match, (he was
>> kicking very well though) but if he had, England would be through to the quarter
>> finals.
>> Bummer.
>>
>>
>>
They'd pretty much lost it before that Roger; quite literally, through poor discipline and giving away all those penalties. You simply do not do that against a team with a kicker of Biggar's quality.

I'm also tempted to say that the win against England will give Wales the self-belief they needed to go all the way; even though smug levels round here would rise to totally unacceptable levels.
 Touching moment. - R.P.
We were out in the camper house hunting over the weekend, we watched the match in Denbigh...the streets were deserted....but of super Saturday for Wales potentially, wth the rugby and the footie. Wales lost both matches but qualified for the World Cup finals in Rugby and Euro2016 in the footie. Wales now above ENgland in both world rankings....very strange world.
Wales now above ENgland in both world rankings....very strange world.
>>

Probably a first for the round-ball game; though without wishing to detract from their deserved success, the hard work has just begun though I'm sure they're aware of that. Seen some nice tributes to Gary Speed who was very much the architect of the recent success.

As to the rugby; I can't see them (Wales) progressing further but this tournament's been full of surprises and if they can muster a full-strength squad for the next game, who knows?
 Touching moment. - Zero
>> Wales now above ENgland in both world rankings....very strange world.
>> >>
>>
>> Probably a first for the round-ball game; though without wishing to detract from their deserved
>> success, the hard work has just begun though I'm sure they're aware of that. Seen
>> some nice tributes to Gary Speed who was very much the architect of the recent
>> success.

My dog could easily have won that Welsh group They remain strictly second rate in the round ball game

>> As to the rugby;

As do England in the silly shaped ball game.

>> My dog could easily have won that Welsh group They remain strictly second rate in
>> the round ball game
>>

I'm sure you're right; nevertheless it's still quite an achievement for a nation who certainly do not regard football as the national game.

Have to agree with you about the rugby though. And whilst there's a lot of cricket played in Wales at club level there's very little of note above that.
The French are having their posteriors handed to them on a plate by The All Blacks.
I bet England are glad they did not have to face the Kiwis!
 Touching moment. - Lygonos
Sigh.
So near and yet so far.
Just on my way home from Twickenham. As a Jockanese supporter, I'm not quite sure what to.say. I'm breathless.

Well, at least I can say 'i was there'.
Actually I do know what to say. And it rhymes with clucking bell.
 Touching moment. - Duncan
Not bad results.

Scotland are out. Ireland are out. What's wrong with that?
 Touching moment. - Zero
The fact the jocks made it to the 1/4 finals and nearly the semis, indicates to me not how good the southern hemisphere were, but how crap the english (who didn't come close) were.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 19 Oct 15 at 09:24
Yep. The English fans in the stadium yesterday were right behind the sweaties. Unbelievable atmosphere. There were many sitting around me who were as vocal in their support as the kilted horde - and as disgusted and disappointed at the end. I shall certainly return the favour when the boot inevitably gets put on the other foot.

Only going to be one winner now, isn't there?

Northern hemisphere has been shafted by the group draw really.

Odds on a Jock grand slam next year? I won't be betting on it.
 Touching moment. - Lygonos
Love how the biggest gripe from Hastings wasn't about the penalty decision, but because the ref ran off the pitch.

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p035krs0

Indeed. Don't know how it came across on TV, but the booing around the stadium was deafening.
 Touching moment. - Zero
>> Indeed. Don't know how it came across on TV, but the booing around the stadium
>> was deafening.

Well lets face it, it was an appalling piece of refereeing.
 Touching moment. - henry k
>> Well lets face it, it was an appalling piece of refereeing.
>>
Not sure about that.
The ref missed the Aussie handling bit and that led to the penalty for what he did see.
Only the very slow motion showed the detail.
I guess he could have broken the rules and called for the TMO.

I love the comments about not being in the spirit of the game etc. etc when the ref sprinted off. One report said a water bottle thrown at him in the tunnel but missed.
IIRC I also saw, I think in another match, " in the spirit of the game" while there was still a query by the ref re a try or offence the conversion was quickly taken. This means that not further query is entertained :-(
 Touching moment. - R.P.
Scotland played really well and it would have been a deserved win against one of the toughest teams in the tournament. Ref was well out of order - there should be an appeals process ! Wales Scotland and Ireland played like lions. New Zealand was magical against the French. Argies played well as well..
 Touching moment. - henry k
How to speed the game up. Other sports do :-)

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34570876
Latest Forum Posts