Non-motoring > Recording a radio programme Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 29

Recording a radio programme - smokie
My daughter will be on Radio Berkshire tomorrow, and on Monday an entire show is being broadcast from my house. The programmes are streamed and on Listen Again but not podcasted.

Does anyone have experience or recommendations for how I can record the shows please? I don't want to spend any money and the ones I've found are not free
 Recording a radio programme - Robin O'Reliant
Ask around and see if anyone you know has a radio/cassette recorder?
 Recording a radio programme - Bromptonaut
That was about to be my suggestion too. Otherwise radio earpiece output to a tape recorder or solid date dictaphone type device with a suitable aux input.

Any possible permutations with a hi-fi and auxiliary audio to a HDD type recording device.
 Recording a radio programme - Zero
tune in using your pc, and record it on there.

edit. or use your phone, plenty of radio apps and plenty of radio recording apps.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 9 Sep 15 at 18:02
 Recording a radio programme - R.P.
Is it a BBC station. Ask them nicely and they'll run you a disc. Done it before...
 Recording a radio programme - spamcan61
I use Goldwave for that purpose, I would think Audacity could do it too. I set the recording input as the PC soundcard, start playing the stream and hit record.
Hadn't thought of using the Android but the first few apps didn't have Radio Berkshire (yes it's BBC so I could just ask for a DVD...).

I am downloading Great Britain Radio+ from the Play store as it says it does have it, and you can record.

I also have Audacity installed on the PC so will give that a go.

Thanks team :-)
 Recording a radio programme - Alastairw
I have successful recorded a local radio prog on the PC using Audacity. Might be worth having a dry run on an earlier show to ensure it all works as expected.
Audacity works a treat, once I got the inputs set up correctly. The RadioGB Android app wants to record to the SD card but as the phone isn't rooted Android seems to be preventing this. Shame, that would have been good to have as belt and braces...

Thanks again...
 Recording a radio programme - Slidingpillar
Is it a BBC station. Ask them nicely and they'll run you a disc. Done it before...

This. You'd be surprised how helpful and friendly BBC radio stations are. Think I was on Radio Essex three times and I'm sure they would have done it if I asked. Radio 4 did on my one appearance (answering a technical query).
Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Wed 9 Sep 15 at 20:04
 Recording a radio programme - WillDeBeest
If the programme is available on iPlayer Radio you may be able to download it within the app. Works for major programmes on R3 and R4; haven't tried it with a local station but it's entirely possible it'll be made available, although you may have to swallow the whole 3 hours or whatever to get your snippet.

Alternatively, if you have a Freeview or Freesat PVR, that can record radio programmes just as it can record TV.

Times like this are when I miss Radio Downloader. That could capture just about anything and save it as an MP3 that I could then trim to length with Audacity or Nero. The BBC squashed it for legitimate but rather nebulous copyright reasons; it made a brief reappearance last winter (in time to capture the finale of Cabin Pressure) before sinking again, I fear for good.
>> Alternatively, if you have a Freeview or Freesat PVR, that can record radio programmes just
>> as it can record TV.

Thought about that but I don't think BBC local radio gets into any DVB mux. OTOH if the PVR has an auxiliary input....?
 Recording a radio programme - No FM2R
Radio Berkshire *IS* on DAB.
>> Radio Berkshire *IS* on DAB.

Yes, but I don't think it's on the radio bit of digital telly, like BBC Radio 4 is on Freeview channel 704, so not so easy to record on a digibox.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 9 Sep 15 at 22:34
 Recording a radio programme - rtj70
If you use a smartphone plugged into the line-in of a computer to record it... remember to turn off notifications on the phone. Otherwise sound of the streamed audio will reduce/fade to play a notification sound. Been there and done that.

I'd say use Audio Hijack but that's a paid for application and you wanted free.
 Recording a radio programme - rtj70
If they are on the BBC site as listen again, if you don't sort it out, I'll use Audio Hijack for you and get the MP3 file to you.
Yes, but I don't think it's on the radio bit of digital telly, like BBC Radio 4 is on Freeview channel 704, so not so easy to record on a digibox.

Correct. TV transmitters cover much more than the area covered by a local radio station. Much of Berkshire is Crystal Palace and Crystal Palace also covers the areas in whole or part for BBC London, BBC Three Counties, BBC Essex, BBC Radio Kent (and others too in all probability).

And the BBC certainly does not have the bandwidth for five more radio stations on this transmitter.
Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Wed 9 Sep 15 at 23:03
Thanks Rob. I reckon they will both be on listen again. I'll update after tomorrow's show with success or otherwise.
 Recording a radio programme - Duncan
If you are in Berkshire, then won't Radio Berkshire be on Freeview? Here in the London area Radio 4 is 704, Radio London is 721.
 Recording a radio programme - sooty123
What is the radio show that she's on, about?
Err - Women's Institute... Daughter is the president of a newly formed local WI chapter, and SWMBO is secretary. They were elected earlier this year and have experienced massive interest such that they are over-subscribed. WI is having an anniversary (100 years?) so there is some general media interest in the organisation.

Today daughter is with some others from "area management" in the canteen at Radio Berkshire on the Anne Diamond show. On Monday the 3hr Breakfast show is coming from here, with both SWMBO and daughter and some other members involved. I don't know why and it all sounds massively inconvenient to me, as it will be a very early start and I will need to change my morning routine a little!!! :-)

btw I have TiVo and will look to see if Radio Berks is on it, but I wouldn't be able to get it off from the TiVo even if I could record it.
Last edited by: smokie on Thu 10 Sep 15 at 09:42
If you are in Berkshire, then won't Radio Berkshire be on Freeview? Here in the London area Radio 4 is 704, Radio London is 721.

No, read my post above. Radio London is the exception, not the norm. I probably argued against its inclusion as the Crystal Palace TV transmitter covers a huge area, and as a result, a policy of adding local radio stations to Freeview is never going to happen.
 Recording a radio programme - WillDeBeest
This, from six months ago, suggests the exact opposite. No Berkshire in the list yet, though.
www.bbc.co.uk/reception/news/item47
Ah, but I've been retired 4 years!

And truthfully, it creates more expectations than it probably fulfils to be honest. But at least I won't have to deal with that silly policy.

From what I know about the transmitters involved in that plan, over 50% of Cornwall will get treated to Radio Devon, Much of Oxfordshire - including Oxford, will get Radio Solent and there will be plenty of other such boobs too. But not my problem...
 Recording a radio programme - Stuartli
>>Thought about that but I don't think BBC local radio gets into any DVB mux>>

There are a number of local BBC radio stations on DVB broadcasting within their immediate areas. See the list about two-thirds of the way down (doesn't include Berkshire):

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_digital_terrestrial_television_channels_%28UK%29

Another way would be to record from the Radio Berkshire's station's own website:

www.bbc.co.uk/radioberkshire (Listen Again)
BBC Radio Berskhire isn't on TiVo. I went to the gym while it waqs on where they have Freeviwe and it wasn't on there eigther.

Anyway I'd set it recording on the PC under Audacity and I now have a 1gb file of the whole programme. I've used iTunes to convert it to a 235mb mp3 and can now set about editing it (they were only in the first hour).

Thanks to all for the tips. :-)
To close this out Radio Berkshire were here today and I have the whole show in mp3 (and Thursday's) via Audacity on the PC. Thanks for the help.
 Recording a radio programme - Alanovich
I listened to the breakfast show this morning whilst doing the children's breakfast and making my sandwiches for the day, smokie. Your wife and daughter came across very well. Did you get to meet Suzanne Courtney? Is she as nice as she sounds?
 Recording a radio programme - Focusless
>> Did you get to meet Suzanne Courtney? Is she as nice as she sounds?

Nice teeth.
www.bbc.co.uk/berkshire/content/articles/2006/02/01/radioberks_susanne_courtney_feature.shtml
 Recording a radio programme - Alanovich
I like the placing of the sign in the bottom right of that picture. An appropriate tag line for local radio........
Latest Forum Posts