Non-motoring > Suits...do they still fit. ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 67

Suits...do they still fit. ? - R.P.
I certainly don't dress for work any more - either casual shirts and chino type trousers - or CAB branded Polos....

After my life changed 6 years ago, I slung 52 ties (amassed over a lifetime) all my suits bar one, which I keep for weddings, funerals and Bar Mitzvahs (Never been to one or likely to). This lovely glossy grey wool/cashmere little number (with a gorgeous rainbow effect lining) bought off the peg from a Covent Garden store 8 years ago still fits, in fact feels slacker than it did. What's your suit status...?

Suits...do they still fit. ? - No FM2R
I rarely wear one. But when I do need to wear one, it needs to look good. Usually required in high-level meetings in Capital cities, I find. Rarely at any other time.

So I have 4 or 5. All are new enough that they fit well. All were mostly made and then adjusted to fit me.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 4 Sep 15 at 19:55
 Suits...do they still fit. ? - sooty123
My suit still fits, wear it maybe once a year at most. Had it about 10 years.
 Suits...do they still fit. ? - Bromptonaut
By the latter days of my Civil Service career I barely needed one. When I joined the Quango in 2002 it was 'de riguer' for the monthly meeting but became more relaxed over time. Collar/tie still felt right while we were chaired by a peer/retired cabinet minister who dressed that way. His successor ran meetings in short sleeve open necked shirt and slacks. Staff and ministerially appointed members followed suit.....(less).

Amongst my roles was conference and event manager and still wore one perhaps 2-3 times a year for that.

One basic off the peg suit is still kept for weddings, funerals and conferences. Last wore it in mid 2013 for interviews I was required to attend while ducking the bullet of Civil Service redeployment.

Sports jacket and tie for my semi formal interview assessment for CAB.

Some segments of CAB clientèle find collar/tie intimidating so we're encouraged to go for informal shirt and chinos/jeans while 'on duty'. Substituting Rohan Bags or jeans/chinos that's my default anyway.

Like idea of CAB polos but I'm not sure I could convince our CEO they were justified.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 4 Sep 15 at 20:37
 Suits...do they still fit. ? - Zero
Well, I am pleased to say my work suit, (last worn 6 years back) fitted me recently when I had to go to a funeral. It wouldn't have fitted me a year ago, but with the new active dog I have lost 10 kilos.

Its a double breasted two piece pure wool off the peg from M&S about 8 years old.

My DJ would probably fit me again now as well. That must be 20 years old.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 4 Sep 15 at 20:16
 Suits...do they still fit. ? - Robin O'Reliant
I don't even own a suit. Last time I bought one was in 1982 for my nuptials to Mrs O'Reliant Mk1.
 Suits...do they still fit. ? - Slidingpillar
Got at least 5, but haven't worn any for several years. Two though are what one might call semi-casual suits, light-weight and machine washable. Used to wear them when I was representing the BBC at exhibitions or on the road (used to give talks on engineering matters to interested groups etc).
Oh yes, I do have a couple of DJs and my stripey Henley Regatta suit.
Damn, following that just realized I have a linen suit. I use this when in warm climes to look urbane and cool :-)
Does it work?

I once wore a suit to Motorola in Campinas, Brazil. The CEO asked me if I was trying to make them all look tatty and stated that if I wanted to continue in my contract I should never show up in a suit again. He was pretty angry.

In fact I was trying to impress them.

A valuable lesson if ever there was one.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 4 Sep 15 at 21:49
 Suits...do they still fit. ? - Armel Coussine
>> I once wore a suit to Motorola in Campinas, Brazil

I'm glad there's a place called Motorola.

I wonder why the CEO was so down on suits? Perhaps it's hard to get a nice one in Brazil without paying a king's ransom. Perhaps he thought you were being vainglorious, showing off in an unfair way.

My advice is never to take any notice of mad bosses. If you get fired you get fired. It's their loss.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Mon 7 Sep 15 at 15:58
>>I wonder why the CEO was so down on suits?

Especially at that time, but still to an extent, there is/was a great deal of sensitivity and resentment towards suited gringos who turned up, used their authority discourteously and/or inappropriately, told the Latinos how to do their job and then naffed off back home.

The last thing they wanted was one of their own gringos behaving like that. I was new, it was more than 20 years ago. I learned.
>>My advice is never to take any notice of mad bosses. If you get fired you get fired. It's their loss.

Well not really, it would be my loss. Both financially in that particular instance and then to my standing in the longer term.

As I have said before, my job is to deal with difficult stuff, not run away from it in a sulk.

>> Both financially in that particular instance and then to my standing in the longer term.

My advice is not to worry about your standing in the long term. If it's dependent on sucking up to mad bosses it will be valueless. Money is useful but it isn't everything.
I spent ten minutes snipping the threadbare bits off the lapel of my black pinstripe double-whassername whistle.

It makes me look like the wrong sort of hood though and I don't like it. I have other whistles but none of them seems really right, even the manmade-fibre-sweat-impregnated ones.

Without sound practical taste and a bottomless pocket you're just screwed. Alas I haven't got either.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Fri 4 Sep 15 at 21:36
I used to have DJ and tails inherited from my old man. Wore the DJ once I think. It was a 30s narrow shouldered thing, very unflattering. I greatly envied the caddish double-breasted lounge lizard jobs my schoolmates had. Can't remember wearing the tails but I could have.

In any case moths ate the living Scheisse out of both in the wardrobe. It was appalling, you never saw so many holes in your life, and things wriggling busily about eating round the edges...

Pure wool yum yum...
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Fri 4 Sep 15 at 21:49
 Suits...do they still fit. ? - VxFan
>> I don't even own a suit.

+1. I don't even own a tie.
>> >> I don't even own a suit.

>> +1. I don't even own a tie.

What do you do for weddings, funerals and things, hire ill-fitting mothball-smelling duds from Moss Bros or go as a gypsy in fancy dress?

Tsk. 'Straordinary chaps running about these days, what?

:o}

>> What do you do for weddings, funerals and things,

Take me as they find me. If they don't like what I'm wearing then tough. At a funeral or wedding I'm sure people are concentrating on more important things than what I'm wearing.
A matter of respect really;

I'd only go to a wedding where I was invited because they wanted me there.

And if that is the case, it seems appropriate that I should put some effort into looking like I cared.
'I say, who's the chap in the leather helmet and goggles, with the sheepskin flying jacket and psychedelic trainers?'

'Dunno... some sort of cousin of the deceased/happy bride/groom I think... he came in that rough green 30/98. Hope we don't have to push-start the damn thing...'
So you don't think my Rab C Nesbitt string vest and jeans held up with a bale string belt is ok then?
In keeping perhaps, but not ok, no.
No semblance of sartorial elegance at funerals around here, overtight shirts and trousers, black tiles looked as if they have been tied by a cat. Usually topped by a jacket of dubious origins, honestly... :-(
>> In keeping perhaps, but not ok, no.

Its de rigueur at the VX owners club annual dinner and dance.

Suits...do they still fit. ? - ....
I've got 5 including linen for when I traveled to India for work.

I wear a suite once a month when I have to report project status to the grown ups otherwise it's jeans and shirt as my office is above the paint hall in an industrial plant.

No point ruining good clothes in that environment.
i can remember when i had to chance to get a fitted suit for $100 by proper tailers. Never sure of the quality and never had time to get measured. Always think I should have taken the time though.
I had a made specifically for me suit once. Cost a b***** fortune and was an absolute disappointment. I would never waste the money again.

Mostly made and then adjusted for me is well worth the [considerably less] money though.,
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 4 Sep 15 at 21:53
 Suits...do they still fit. ? - Westpig
I have two. Both bought from Moss Bros.

First one I bought for my wedding almost exactly 10 years ago a nice dark charcoal. Still fits perfectly and is dragged out for weddings or funerals.

Second one was a specific one for my brother's wedding 5 years ago, as I was best man. That had to be a certain colour (light grey). I don't really like it, too modern, wrong colour and doesn't fit my personality. Still fits, but I never wear it.

>> I had a made specifically for me suit once. Cost a b***** fortune and was an absolute disappointment.

Me too FMR.

In fact mine was off the peg and tailored to fit. They did a poor job and I made a poor choice of fabric. It was a lose-lose situation.

Feeling rich and sprauncy once I asked a proper West End tailor if it would make me a suit.

It took one world-weary look and told me to sod off.

I wasn't at all pleased but on reflection I think they were right, the jumped-up sods.

Suits...do they still fit. ? - mikeyb
Couple of suits and a DJ.

Suit gets worn once a month or so for meetings depending on the level of people attending and location however, haven't worn a tie for years, other than to weddings and funerals.

Trousers and shirt for day to day
>> Couple of suits and a DJ.
>>

What's DJ in this context?
I have now invested in a very nice pair of light brown Chinos, with knee and hip armour and lined with Kevlar...ideal Office wear (with armour removed in the bog) for summer bike days....!

We mean Dinner Jacket. Which of course not just a dinner jacket, but a suit with snot stripes down the strides.
Ahh right, trying to think what it meant but couldn't think what it meant. Not got one, never owned one.
>> Ahh right, trying to think what it meant but couldn't think what it meant. Not
>> got one, never owned one.

Dress Suit was the word I was after. There was a terrible fad in the 80s and 90's for Jokey or flash dress suit apparel. Rupert bear monogramed shirts a picture of a bunny girls ass on the knot of your bow tie - that kind of thing. They never really got "flash" Dinner Suits, like the cracking purple crushed velvet one I had in the 70s. Not forgetting the lilac frilled lace shirt front and cuffs. And bow tie with the wingspan of a condor.

Think jason king with no moustache.
>>Think jason king with no moustache.

About 40 years ago Peter Wyngarde was convicted of gross indecency with a truck driver in some Bus Station toilets, pretty much at the height of his celebrity-ness.

I never cease to be amazed at the dumb stuff people who rely on the media for their longevity get up to.
>> >>Think jason king with no moustache.
>>
>> About 40 years ago Peter Wyngarde was convicted of gross indecency with a truck driver
>> in some Bus Station toilets, pretty much at the height of his celebrity-ness.

Ah the moustache was a giveaway I guess, did I say I didn't have one of those?

A gay truck driver? Well I never who'da thought it
>> A gay truck driver? Well I never who'da thought it

I got a lift from one in my hitchhiking days. I was really surprised and embarrassed. He was a perfectly nice cat though.

Peter Wyngarde had the worst moustache and the worst clothes in a very naff era. One glance and you're dispirited.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sat 5 Sep 15 at 00:49
 Suits...do they still fit. ? - smokie
He's let himself go a bit lately (well, by 2010...)

www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1259498/Is-really-Jason-King-suavest-man-TV.html
One of the oiks I used to deal with years ago sported the first names Jason King and then his surname. The lad was an idiot and clearly doomed to a life of crime. Probably wearing grey track suit bottoms these days complete with skid marks.
I did forget my cream linen suit I got dirt cheap from TK maxx - Some fancy italian make.
>>Some fancy italian make.

Matalani ?
>> >>Some fancy italian make.
>>
>> Matalani ?

I dona finka so
 Suits...do they still fit. ? - Alastairw
The pin stripes M&S jobbie I bought about 5 years ago still fits, but is only there in case of weddings or (more likely) funerals. Gave up wearing ties for work one hot summer before we had aircon installed at work, and never re-started because all my shirt collars shrank before the autumn.
 Suits...do they still fit. ? - Bobby
I was recently forced by 'er indoors to get a suit to wear to my daughter's 21st - so that takes my suit total to .... 1.

I hate suits with a vengeance, they are the invention of the devil, totally impractical jacket - it doesn't give warmth, it doesn't give flexibility, it doesn't have useful pockets, it just doesn't do anything. In fact I like wearing a softshell gilet instead of a jacket , just to have pockets for wallet, phone, keys etc.

At work it is strictly dress trousers (ie the £10 Matalan / George black trousers) and a short sleeved shirt (hate long sleeves).
At bi-monthly board meetings I add a tie - I have a drawer at work that has about a dozen ties in it that only come out for this occasion. Honestly can't remember the last time a new tie got added to the collection. Seem to remember a previous thread getting slaughtered for wearing a tie with short sleeved shirt!

Oh, just remembered, I have one of those stupid "black tie event" suits, the ones with the shiny stripe down the trousers and the shiny lapels on the jacket. Bought it from one of my charity shops for a sportsmans dinner. Thankfully I have lost a stone or so since I got it so no chance of wearing it again. Must dig it out and donate back to shop!
 Suits...do they still fit. ? - Ted

Suit ? schmoot !.....I have one somewhere complete with turnups. I think it's a Hardy Amies or summat. It won't fit me now but who knows...me and 'er are doing Slimming World atm and I've lost half a stone or so in the past 2 weeks. I'm also on the exercise bike daily to help my leg muscles ...so that might help too.

I live in jeans or shorts and polo shirts, my favoured tailors are George, F&F and Premier Man. Formal occasions call for a smart sports jacket and black trousers. I haven't worn a tie for twenty years...even for funerals. In fact, I had a major cull of the tie rack some years ago but I kept a few with history like my wedding tie from 46 yrs ago.

My wedding suit was made by George Best. I patrolled a beat in the posh part of Manchester in the sixties and George, together with Mike Summerbee owned a boutique called Edwardia. I don't suppose either of them put a needle to cloth though. I recall it took a lot of sittings. I also owned a brown ' Beatle jacket ' around this time.
 Suits...do they still fit. ? - Duncan
Suits? Lovely!

I like a suit, down to two though.

Oh no! Just remembered.

I have a brand new suit, double breasted, with an extra pair of trousers - never worn. It seemed a good idea at the time. Shall I wear it to the C4P annual dinner and dance?

I wore a dark suit last week, first time for a while, to attend a funeral.

Plus a DJ, plus the stripey trouser kit.
 Suits...do they still fit. ? - Cliff Pope
Mine are all about 30 years old. The one at the front of the row seems quite decent, at least my wife approves it for the very occasional wedding etc, plus the next one along is a dark pinstripe last worn to a funeral 10 years ago.
I haven't looked at the others since hanging them up decades ago. They may well be moth-eaten. Somewhere at the back of the wardrobe may well be the collection of cord jackets I used to wear.
 Suits...do they still fit. ? - ....
>> I hate suits with a vengeance, they are the invention of the devil, totally impractical
>> jacket - it doesn't give warmth, it doesn't give flexibility, it doesn't have useful pockets,
>> it just doesn't do anything.
>>

Yes it does, think of it as a curtain for the rear door window of a BMW 3 series, Audi A4 type car.
 Suits...do they still fit. ? - Dog
Last time I wore a suit was about 30 or so years ago. I may have one somewhere, a nice grey one + a red (ish) tie and kerchief. I look good in a suit, as we all do IMO. Just need to have a shave and a haircut :(
 Suits...do they still fit. ? - Robin O'Reliant
There are a couple of estates down here where suits are the height of fashion.

Shell suits, track suits...
Um, my suit would still fit me [according to the missus] I've also got a boiler suit :o)
>> Last time I wore a suit was about 30 or so years ago.

The 'defendant'?..;-)
Last edited by: Westpig on Sat 5 Sep 15 at 12:32
>>The 'defendant'?..;-)

Little arrows!!
>> Little arrows!!
>>

Fair do's you win on that one.
 Suits...do they still fit. ? - Mike Hannon
Three years ago I was at a post-funeral do and exclaimed 'must have been the last time I wore this suit' when I pulled an invitation card dated 1999 from an inside pocket.
My brother said 'I thought so - you're the only one here with turn-ups'.
Last edited by: Mike Hannon on Sat 5 Sep 15 at 14:30
 Suits...do they still fit. ? - Manatee
I thought turn ups were current, are they not?
 Suits...do they still fit. ? - Mike Hannon
Dunno, I haven't worn it again since so haven't attracted any comments.
All the suits I still own from a previous life still fit though - and some are even a bit on the big side.
 Suits...do they still fit. ? - Fursty Ferret
I have exactly one, used about once a year. I look like "The Accused" in a suit so rarely graduate beyond jeans and t-shirt.
 Suits...do they still fit. ? - Harleyman
>> I have exactly one, used about once a year. I look like "The Accused" in
>> a suit so rarely graduate beyond jeans and t-shirt.
>>

Up until about fifteen years ago when I decided to leave the greasy pole of office work and return to my roots as an HGV driver, I always had a suit; it wasn't essential for day-to-day work but it was for client meetings and conferences etc.

Nowadays the only requirement I have for anything approaching formal wear is funerals and a recent memorial service at the National Arboretum; even the latter was more a matter of choice than regulation but there were some "top brass" there and I felt I ought to make an effort. Didn't bother with a suit though, just bought a shirt and tie from a charity shop and wore the "funeral trousers".

I found out the hard way some years ago that one dresses casually for a Welsh funeral at one's own peril. I attended that of a regular customer in a little chapel in Llanwrtyd Wells; a nice old boy who always welcomed me in for a chat and the obligatory tea and biscuits after I'd delivered his sheep feed. Lacking the standard Welsh uniform of white shirt, thin black tie, plain shoes and sober suit, I opted for a black shirt sans tie, black jeans and dealer-type boots. The overall effect was something akin to a bearded and balding Johnny Cash; it did not go down too well with the matriachs, you could almost hear the tutting and I felt the eyes burning into my back as I sat in chapel, most disconcerting.

They take their funerals very seriously down there; it's quite comforting actually to know that you're pretty much guaranteed a good send-off.
Suits bring one dead useful thing, not unlike school uniforms.

What to wear to an unknown client's offices, to a meeting involving unknown participants, or to an environment involving disparate views is a real PITA - and potentially a costly one.

Unfortunately, it is also an important thing. For those of us who rely on being paid to be places, not offending those who pay us is an issue.

I have spent many an hour agonising over dress in a mixed environment, whereas somewhere that is known to insist on suits is easy.
>> Suits bring one dead useful thing, not unlike school uniforms.
>>
>> What to wear to an unknown client's offices, to a meeting involving unknown participants, or
>> to an environment involving disparate views is a real PITA - and potentially a costly
>> one.
>>
>> Unfortunately, it is also an important thing. For those of us who rely on being
>> paid to be places, not offending those who pay us is an issue.
>>
>> I have spent many an hour agonising over dress in a mixed environment, whereas somewhere
>> that is known to insist on suits is easy.

Actually, wear a suit or not is an easy question to answer. Put on the suit. Every time. It is the work of seconds to dress down by ripping off the tie, opening up the top button of your shirt, rolling up the sleeves, and taking off the jacket. You can not however dress up from chinos & polo shirt if you need to in a hurry.
 Suits...do they still fit. ? - legacylad
I have only ever had one suit. Made to measure in my early twenties, from fabric given me by a friend ( I had several friends who worked in the wool trade in Bradford). Which reminds me, I still have several suit lengths at the bottom of a wardrobe.
It definitely wouldn't fit now! An extra 4/6'' on the waist ( think I had a 28'' waist then) now 34. My arms are longer as I'm turning into a knuckle dragging Neanderthal in old age. Never worked in an office and dressed in smart trousers and polo during my retail years. Had a uniform when cheese making, jeans & branded top when selling outdoor gear, jeans & polo when selling DIY stuff. Nowadays shorts April to Oct. last time I wore a suit was when I had an interview for a mortgage or maybe a friends wedding.
Don't think I'll ever wear one again. For funerals I change out of my shorts, put on some smart black Levi's and a clean short sleeved shirt. Job done.
 Suits...do they still fit. ? - Fursty Ferret
>> last time I wore a suit was when I had an interview for a mortgage

You wore a suit for a mortgage interview?
 Suits...do they still fit. ? - Clk Sec
>> You wore a suit for a mortgage interview?
>>

You did in the 70s; that's for sure.
>> >> You wore a suit for a mortgage interview?
>> >>
>>
>> You did in the 70s; that's for sure.

Certainly did. Obtaining a mortgage back int he 60s early 70s was all about convincing the source of money you were an upstanding pillar of society. Credit reference checking then was all about a letter of introduction, referees who would vouch for you, a letter from your employer and an interview.
 Suits...do they still fit. ? - legacylad
I was 21yo. Mid 70s. The Provincial BS in Bradford. Think I had to borrow about £12k ( the house cost £17,500) and take out both their buildings & contents insurance, which was more expensive than it is where I reside now!
I never told them that I had to take in a lodger or two in order to afford the payments. And go on holiday, and lead a pretty hectic social life with grrrls as you do at that age.
Latest Forum Posts