Non-motoring > Home energy saving Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Tooslow Replies: 24

Home energy saving - Tooslow
tinyurl.com/2v73c56

Does this sit alongside magnetic gizmos that reduce your fuel consumption or is it possible that it actually works? If it works why aren't the energy companies dishing them out?

JH
 Home energy saving - bathtub tom
Back to '60s 'O' level physics and power factor correction.

Are domestic customers disadvantaged by having an inductive load and would power factor correction reduce a domestic bill?
cor blimey Tom I did A level, and passed it, but I don't remember that!

JH
 Home energy saving - Zero
Its b*****. Complete and utter b*****.
That's what I thought. Odd how these things crop up in apparently reputable companies. Someone gullible in the purchasing dept maybe :-)

JH
 Home energy saving - rtj70
>> The Energy Wizard by Ecotek (seen on Dragon's Den*)

and then lower down:

>> *Ecotek were seen on Dragon's Den with their award winning Standby Saver.

What utter crap. And they obviously didn't invest in it on the programme.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 18 Jul 10 at 19:58
The worst bit is:

>> Consumes 0.1watt

So in 365 days is that not over 800Wh assuming the figure they quote is actually 0.1 Wh.
 Home energy saving - Manatee
>> The worst bit is:
>>
>> >> Consumes 0.1watt
>>
>> So in 365 days is that not over 800Wh assuming the figure they quote is
>> actually 0.1 Wh.

0.1W makes sense without the h.

Yes it's 876Wh over a year, i.e. 0.876 KWh or about 12p worth.
So that's 12p+ on top of the purchase price then. To not do anything :-)
 Home energy saving - bathtub tom
Perhaps not 'O' level then. I reckon I'm getting that thing where I can't remember things - I forget what it's called. ;>)

ONC perhaps?
 Home energy saving - FotheringtonTomas
Does it contain a capacitor to change the "power factor"? Perhaps it's just a display on the front of an empty box, with a flashing LED or three to put one in awe.
 Home energy saving - Old Navy
>> Does it contain a capacitor to change the "power factor"? Perhaps it's just a display
>> on the front of an empty box, with a flashing LED or three to put
>> one in awe.
>>

No, No, No. Thats a plug in car tuning box. :)
 Home energy saving - Stuartli
The original link is now 14 months old; however, both energy companies and national newspapers had a spell of giving these type of devices away, citing it helped people to reduce their overall energy consumption.
 Home energy saving - Harleyman
>> The original link is now 14 months old; however, both energy companies and national newspapers
>> had a spell of giving these type of devices away, citing it helped people to
>> reduce their overall energy consumption.
>>

They probably do help, but not by means of the claimed scientific methods.

Put any gizmo into service and you're inevitably likely to switch off things more consciously to see if it actually works. Result is a saving, but not because of the gizmo.
"Its intelligent technology optimises the voltage and current demands thus reducing the active power demands."

If a tiny little plastic box like that tried to optimise the current of my home at its peak, it would glow like a nuclear reactor and explode.
"If a tiny little plastic box like that tried to optimise the current of my home at its peak, it would glow like a nuclear reactor and explode."

Ah! Not if it were alien technology as used in an interrossiter!

JH
Ah! I discounted the fact it may be working on dilitium crystals.
 Home energy saving - sherlock47
Z

Once upon a time I would have totally rubbished the idea out of hand that it could achieve any savings.

However having been faultfinding on a Bravia TV recently I was surprised when discovered that in the switch mode power supply they actually have incorporated active semiconductor technolgy for PF correction. They claim this is for power (cost?) saving. Whether it works for standby or normal (or both) operation I am not sure.

So Sony think it is worth adding cost and complexity............

Any savings will obviously depend on the domestic load PF. I would have expected that historically UK domestic PF was tending to 1 but maybe the rise in electronic power supplies and complex control circuitry has left scope for greater savings?

However I still do not believe that it is a cost effective solution.
Thats entirely feasible, built into the power supply to handle, what, 300 watts max?

Now think about how one small little box, can do that for the whole house that could pull 5 or 6 killowatts, from one 13 amp socket somewhere on the ring main.
www.post-carbon-living.com/Powerdown_Gadgets.htm
But off the 5-6 kW most will be resistive load - water heater, kettle, oven, iron, heating... so maybe less than 1kW with a a very low PF?

What sort of PF associated with a PC, printer etc; things that (in my house) run 24 hrs a day.

Do modern electronic meters correct for PF, whereas old mechanical meters do not?

Not supporting merely playing devils advocate!
PF corection can only really work with spikey loads. The spikey loads you have in the house is fridges, freezers, washing machines, tumble dryers - all fairly high peak current devices.
It is not for 'spikey loads', it is for (in the domestic enviroment) highly inductive loads (ie inductive -light running motors, Switched mode PSU ? etc

So why do Sony do it?
well either way, its in in the wrong place and not man enough for the whole house.
 Home energy saving - teabelly
Wonder if it has the same stuff inside as all those 'make your hifi sound better' gizmos that cost 10x as much?? If it doesn't do anything and a quick relabel would make it look more expensive then I can see a potential money spinner here :)
Latest Forum Posts