Non-motoring > "Facebook has a billion users in a single day" Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 15

"Facebook has a billion users in a single day" - smokie
www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-34082393

"For the first time over a billion people used Facebook on a single day, according to company founder Mark Zuckerberg. "The "milestone" was reached on Monday, when "1 in 7 people on Earth used Facebook to connect with their friends and family"

1 in 7 sounds a really high ratio to me, when you take out the very young, very old, not connected and simply not interested.

So today's straw poll. Which I would think would be heavily biased as we live in a country where most people are at least connected...

How many people can you answer the following for, with a reasonable degree of confidence? We're not looking for absolute scientific accuracy here so educated guesses would work

Of those, how many use use Facebook at least once a month?

Of those, how many logged in on Monday 24 August?

For me (your starting point could be considerably different):

Number of people I can answer for = 25
Of those, how many use Facebook at least once a month = 14
Of those how many were likely to have logged in on Monday 24 Aug = 9
Last edited by: smokie on Fri 28 Aug 15 at 08:44
 "Facebook has a billion users in a single day" - Crankcase
 "Facebook has a billion users in a single day" - Fenlander
It's the work of the devil... never use it.
 "Facebook has a billion users in a single day" - VxFan
>> never use it.

Nor me, and I've no idea of other people's facebook usage.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 28 Aug 15 at 10:26
 "Facebook has a billion users in a single day" - No FM2R
I'm not sure what "number of people I can answer for" covers.

If it is family in the house;

Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 28 Aug 15 at 10:35
 "Facebook has a billion users in a single day" - Robin O'Reliant
I don't use it but most of the family do. I've often been sent a link to open an account so we "can keep in touch". I remind them that they have my email and phone number.
 "Facebook has a billion users in a single day" - legacylad
I have a Facebook account, but to the best of my knowledge have only ever posted once, and that was in the early hours after too much pop. Apparently I have 5 'friends'. And lots of others who want to be my friend, but who I have never heard of. What's all that about then?

I've said it before, and doubtless shall say it again, but for keeping in touch my preferred social media is Facepub.
 "Facebook has a billion users in a single day" - smokie
I meant you could include anyone you are reasonably sure about, it's only a bit of fun... For instance SWMBO has a good idea of who is and isn't on FB in her (small) office, so my numbers included a guesstimate of them.
 "Facebook has a billion users in a single day" - movilogo
Don't use Facebook or WhatsApp.
 "Facebook has a billion users in a single day" - Mapmaker
I should say most of my social circle use it daily (indeed, many times daily). The messaging system is widely used; nobody bothers with email addresses. The few (very few) people who are not on Facebook really struggle keeping in touch.
 "Facebook has a billion users in a single day" - Armel Coussine
I don't know whether I am on Facebook or not. Been there I think.
 "Facebook has a billion users in a single day" - Crankcase
I was on it for about six months. I thought I ought to try. I really couldn't get into it or find any use for it, especially as I don't know anybody else who uses it.

So I got rid of it, using the arcane and at the time extremely well hidden delete and remove option.

I'm just going through the same thing with Twitter. Account currently there but not posted for months. Get nothing useful out of it.
 "Facebook has a billion users in a single day" - Fullchat
Recently started using it primarily because there is a 'private' group where colleagues and ex colleagues post memories and pictures. Sort of got pulled into the mainstream news feed where there is some good stuff and some absolute tosh.
What does concern me as to how it manages to link you into 'people you may know' when all you have done is perhaps rung them on a one off basis. I consider that intrusive.
 "Facebook has a billion users in a single day" - Armel Coussine
Actually there it is in the row of icons at the top of this very screen. But I think if I want to use it it will make me jump through tiresome hoops too difficult for me.

Twitter is very popular with hacks but I haven't got it.
 "Facebook has a billion users in a single day" - Cliff Pope
No interest in it whatsoever, but the three children use it, responsibly as far as I can judge - no rave parties here yet, anyway.

I keep getting emails inviting me to join Linkedin because someone seems to think I'd be a useful friend. What's that about?
Before I read the word carefully I always saw it as "Limekiln", which didn't mean anything to me either of course.
 "Facebook has a billion users in a single day" - MD
Lindekin it said to me!
Latest Forum Posts