Non-motoring > How Many '80s Bands Can You Name? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 45

How Many '80s Bands Can You Name? - Dog
www.zimbio.com/trivia/WPBXaXORUaE/How+Many+80s+Bands+Can+Name

I didn't even know there was any music produced in the 1980's (too busy tuning jamjars!) but I still scored 65%
 How Many '80s Bands Can You Name? - Alanovich
Spot the 80s teenager.

97%, i.e. I got one wrong.
 How Many '80s Bands Can You Name? - smokie
Is the question "which band was formed in the 80s?" with a multiple choice answer?

if so the research is poor, or Wikipedia is wrong. E.G.

xxx is an American rock band founded by singer xxx and guitarist xxx.[1] The band was a pioneer in the early American new wave and punk scenes of the mid-late 1970s

xxx - The band first hit the R&B charts with the release of their debut eponymous album.[citation needed] Several live and studio albums followed, with 1973's xxxl breaking into the mainstream with "xxx", "xxx" and "xxx". Many reviews see the xxx'x 1974 album xxx and 1975 album album xxx as the greatest achievements of the band

xxx are an Australian hard rock band, formed in November 1973

xxx was an American rock band formed in 1975

xxx....achieved their greatest fame from the late 1970s to the mid-1980s

xxx are an English rock band formed in Birmingham in 1978

xxx was started by Mike Score and his brother Ali in 1979 in Liverpool

xxx are an English rock band formed in 1977 in Sheffield

xxx are a Scottish rock band formed in 1977

and so on

(I replaced band/album names with xxx to avoid being a spoiler!!)

EDIT: I just realised the challenge is to name the band in the picture... d'oh... :-)
Last edited by: smokie on Wed 26 Aug 15 at 14:18
It's fair enough point though smokie, plenty of those bands were formed in the 70s. There's one in there who I would have placed in the 90s too. Although calling them a band is stretching it a bit as none of them played an instrument. A taste of things to come, although in my book the 90s were great for rock/guitar music.

I bet Rattle will be able to compete with my score. The one I got wrong I was aware of in the 80s, and, although I liked a lot of their genre, I was not keen on them and didn't really know what they looked like (although the style of dress they used was of course mandatory to this genre of music - something which annoys me actually. Why can't you be a heavy metal band and not feel the need to dress to the code, it's about the music isn't it? Same for other genres.).
 How Many '80s Bands Can You Name? - Zero
95% - got two wrong.
 How Many '80s Bands Can You Name? - ....
If you had a pulse in the 80s you'll get most of not all, unless you were saddled with a mortgage and pushchairs.
 How Many '80s Bands Can You Name? - RattleandSmoke
I got 78 percent (I need a new keyboard will replace now). I found the quiz too narrow in focus. All those 80's rock american classic rock bands all look the same to me apart from KISS. I got GNR wrong despite been a fan! I wasn't really around in the 80's as I was a toddler young kid and I wasn't really exposed to any rock. The only music on TV I got to see was Top of the Pops but even that I wasn't that interested.

My interest in 80's music started much later on when I discovered the first wave of punk and then from there the new wave bands.

As said a lot of them bands were 70's to me, Genisis, The Cure (well formed in the 80's) and Blondie is certainly more 70's than 80's despite having some major hits in the very early 80's.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Wed 26 Aug 15 at 14:52
Well it was easy to spot kool and the gang from kiss and kulture klub
> Well it was easy to spot kool and the gang from kiss and kulture klUb
>>
Exactly, I didn't like the Smiths, Culture Club or any of that music. Given the choices you knew who it wasn't.
>>If you had a pulse in the 80s you'll get most of not all, unless you were saddled with a mortgage and pushchairs.

Or blocked idle jets/punctured diaphragms (Stromberg) Intermotor con-densers/pinking/running on (dieseling) noisy tappets/Pinto cambelts/vv carbs!!/ Champion spark plugs!!!/graphite ignition leads/automatic chokes/HIF44E carbs :(
 How Many '80s Bands Can You Name? - Crankcase
Got one right, which was a guess as it was the only name I'd heard of.
One ONE! ... surely you recognised Sting, and Girl George.

:}
 How Many '80s Bands Can You Name? - Clk Sec
28% here. Better than I expected.
 How Many '80s Bands Can You Name? - Bromptonaut
Clueless on most of them, gave up after getting two from first ten. Couldn't even recognise Wham who were local lads where I lived at time.

I began to lose interest in chart etc music in the eighties and stopped watching TOTP etc, c 1984/5.

Some of them though my son has seen in concert so he'd do better in spite of being born in 1994.

Probably do better on seventies which were my teen years.
>>Probably do better on seventies which were my teen years.

Here you go then guv'nor: www.zimbio.com/trivia/XcLU8eGCTjY/How+Many+70s+Bands+Can+Name
 How Many '80s Bands Can You Name? - Bromptonaut
>> >>Probably do better on seventies which were my teen years.
>>
>> Here you go then guv'nor: www.zimbio.com/trivia/XcLU8eGCTjY/How+Many+70s+Bands+Can+Name

Better but still only 65%
72% on the 1970's ... many were 'edumacated' guesses really and, I failed to recognise Jethro Tull!!
Um, the ole woman got 82% on the 70's bands [OMG!]
 How Many '80s Bands Can You Name? - spamcan61
>> 72% on the 1970's ... many were 'edumacated' guesses really and, I failed to recognise
>> Jethro Tull!!
>>
That was a very early photo I should think, as it looks like Mick Abrahams and he lelt fairly early on; used to see him in my local boozer a fair bit in the mid 80s, when he was a lifeguard at Luton Baths!
>> 72% on the 1970's ... many were 'edumacated' guesses really and, I failed to recognise
>> Jethro Tull!!

85%

How can you not recognise Jethro Tull at any age! Its those mad eyes.

Mind you I got the Eagles wrong, that was a very early photo.
>>Mind you I got the Eagles wrong, that was a very early photo.

That's what fooled me with many of the pics.

Ian Anderson may have mad eyes, but he's one helluva shrewd business man.
>> >>Probably do better on seventies which were my teen years.
>>
>> Here you go then guv'nor: www.zimbio.com/trivia/XcLU8eGCTjY/How+Many+70s+Bands+Can+Name
>>

100% for this seventies teenager.
>>100% for this seventies teenager.

Well done you! :) I'm a sixties teenager, but I doubt if I would score 100% on 60's bands groups.
>> >>100% for this seventies teenager.
>>
>> Well done you! :) I'm a sixties teenager, but I doubt if I would score
>> 100% on 60's bands groups.

and here we go

www.quizfreak.com/can-you-name-12-classic-60s-rock-bands/

I got 50%
>>and here we go

>>www.quizfreak.com/can-you-name-12-classic-60s-rock-bands/

I Got : 10/12

60s Rock Legend!

Excellent! From The Beatles, to The Byrds, to The Who, and The Rolling Stones, you know your 60s rock bands! 60s rock may be the greatest decade in the history of rock, and you dominated its greatest bands – Well Done you!

:o}
I don't 'king adam & eve it ... the missus got 12/12!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Um gonna go and bury Milo now so she wont be able to use her Wi-Fi without me enabling it ^_^
12/12, had to guess CCR versus the Zombies, decided they looked American.
I got 100% on the 80's but only 89% on the 70's.
How young do Ozzie and Steve Tyler look in the 70's?
Same for the 80's, George Michael, Jaymz Hetfield and Lars Ulrich.
 How Many '80s Bands Can You Name? - WillDeBeest
Tied with Vić. Somehow Devo (formed in 1972, according to Wikipedia) had passed me by.
>> Spot the 80s teenager.
>>
>> 97%, i.e. I got one wrong.
>>
Same here, and I was a seventies teenager :-). i got me hair metal a bit wrong and mistook Poison for Motley Crue,

I think it's fair to say all the bands featured were at the height of their popularity in the eighties - um... apart from G 'n' R.
>> i got me hair metal a
>> bit wrong and mistook Poison for Motley Crue

That was my mistake too. I was never keen on either band, lightweights really. Not a patch on Iron Maiden and Metallica, nor Motorhead come to that.

Sign of the devil, dude.
 How Many '80s Bands Can You Name? - WillDeBeest
I half-guessed that one and got lucky. Funnily, if the Poison picture had come up first, I'd have had no trouble. They were a fluffy imitation of Motley Crue (sweet - iOS wants to auto-add the umlaut) who, as Vić points out, were themselves a fluffy imitation of proper metal bands.
>> >> i got me hair metal a
>> >> bit wrong and mistook Poison for Motley Crue
>>
>> That was my mistake too. I was never keen on either band, lightweights really. Not
>> a patch on Iron Maiden and Metallica, nor Motorhead come to that.
>>
>> Sign of the devil, dude.
>>
i was never a fan of hair metal either, more into 'classic' 70s rockers and NWOBHM. Only saw Motorhead once and they weren't very impressive, mind you Lemmy and Brian Robertson seemed to be falling out with each other as the set went on, so probably not a representative performance.
I shall be seeing one of these pictured 80s bands perform on Saturday night to a crowd of 90,000 people, about 250 yards from my front door. I will be as near the front as I can get without having a connery (sic, credit to DelBoy for that one). I expect it'll be raining.

Last edited by: Alanović on Wed 26 Aug 15 at 17:40
 How Many '80s Bands Can You Name? - sooty123
Tried to do it and it crashed twice, so I gave up after that.
 How Many '80s Bands Can You Name? - MD
65%. Never spotted Perro's Eagles anywhere!
 How Many '80s Bands Can You Name? - Roger.
58% - only "knew" three - rest guesses and process of elimination from previous answers!
 How Many '80s Bands Can You Name? - rtj70
76%. Some I didn't know but I knew which ones they weren't so got them right. And then later you remembered seeing a group you would not recognise and now knew them.
 How Many '80s Bands Can You Name? - Pat
Can you ask them to turn it up a bit please on Sunday around midday Alanovic please?

I'm having a day out driving and have a 1pm booking at Tesco new RDC at Reading so I expect to spend the afternoon in there!

Don't suppose I could come down tomorrow and park an artic just outside for Metallica:)

Pat
Ah, you'll be quite a way from the festival at the Tesco centre, Pat! If you come in to town via the A4074 (not advised for artics but many drivers ignore this) you'll pass pretty close to my door.

They've got the traffic and parking pretty well screwed down around the festival these days, you'd be moved on pretty sharpish if you tried to park up around there!
Just my luck Alanovic, I was hoping for a night sleeping in the cab being *rocked* to sleep and dreaming of happy memories!

It will be the M25/M4 for me because the A46 is closed, I think, for the MotoGP this weekend.

That would have been my preferred route.

Pat
 How Many '80s Bands Can You Name? - Armel Coussine
Surely a tactical breakdown isn't beyond your ingenuity Pat, take a cold chisel or humane-killer to the tachograph and claim you will be hanged drawn and quartered if you drive 100 yards without it?

Where's your initiative young woman? Tsk.

Listen carefully for stowaways if you're parking for long though... ooo-er, 50 rotting corpses, how about that? ....
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Fri 28 Aug 15 at 15:24
I'm doing this for my CPD record ( but really because I want to!) not sure how a breakdown would look on that Lud;)

I'm testing the telematics and exercising in fuel efficient driving but I KNOW where the kick down pedal is on the lorry so the fuel figures will go out of the window......again!

Pat
 How Many '80s Bands Can You Name? - Armel Coussine
>> I'm doing this for my CPD record ( but really because I want to!) not sure how a breakdown would look on that Lud;)

Nowt to do with me it's those idle sods in the yard...

>> exercising in fuel efficient driving but I KNOW where the kick down pedal is on the lorry

YEEEE-Hah! sort of thing you mean? I do hope so Pat.

:o}
Oh yes Lud:)

I can't wait for the fuel efficiency manager to do my print outs next week, harsh acceleration?

Sack me then...but you don't employ me, do you!

I'm up, all raring to go and really looking forward to it but have just dug out my old Brett's uniform polo shirt and found it is now 4 sizes too big for me.

Now that's the icing on the cake!

Pat

>> I'm having a day out driving and have a 1pm booking at Tesco new RDC
>> at Reading so I expect to spend the afternoon in there!

Thats the one that replaced Brooklands. Rumour mill has it that Amazon are buying it to start a food delivery service.
Latest Forum Posts