Non-motoring > Any micro climates down south? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 93

Any micro climates down south? - Bobby
Got a couple of weeks off in Sept. As the weather has been so crap this year, I want to get away to somewhere dry and preferably sunny or even warm!

Most likely be jumping in a plane to foreign shores but would also consider getting away in the tent again if it was to somewhere that fitted some of the above criteria.

Definitely rules Scotland out, but is there any parts down south that have traditionally good weather at that point? Probably thinking right down to the Plymouth type area?

Failing that, Majorca it is (have never been)
 Any micro climates down south? - Pat
Try this one Bobby

www.looebaycaravans.co.uk/index.html

Pat
 Any micro climates down south? - Ambo
Not as far down as Plymouth but conditions always seem better than forecast between Swanage and Southampton, and up to 10 miles inland. This includes the excellent beaches at Bournemouth, Poole and Studland Bay.
 Any micro climates down south? - CGNorwich
I think Easbourne claims to have the most sunshine hours. Certainly the South Coast would be the best bet but personally given the choice of a tent in Eastbourne or a hotel in Majorca I would choose the latter. Pollensa is nice.
 Any micro climates down south? - WillDeBeest
Look for the palm trees! You'll see them in places like the (self-styled) English Riviera (Torquay), parts of South Pembrokeshire - generally the places that get the best of the Gulf Stream.

Then use Google Maps to see where the caravan sites are - and stay somewhere where you can't see them.
I'Ve got a palm tree in my garden but he's not pitching his tent there! :-)
 Any micro climates down south? - Roger.
Try Worksop - gateway to the Dukeries! (we actually do get slightly better weather than Sheffield or Chesterfield)
 Any micro climates down south? - Manatee
Try Narfolk. Likely to be drier than the south west.

You can't beat leaning into the east wind on the putting green at Cromer.

Actually we've had a good summer I think. I can only imagine that you've had more rain in the west of Scotland - the ditch in front of our house was bone dry until yesterday's monsoon.
Yes Norfolk has low rainfall but as you say the wind is a fixture. North Norfolk is very nice though. Cromer is looking better after its battering in the storms the winter before last.

Actually September can be one of the nicest months of the years to be in the English countryside and if that's what he OP wants rather than the guaranteed sunshine of the Med then he might as well just choose a part of the country he fancies. The UK's weather is so unpredictable that it's not worth taking it account when choosing a destination.
 Any micro climates down south? - Zero
We always crack in a week in the UK, late september, always a cottage so we can take the dog. Last year was last week in september on the north somerset coast. Weather was very agreeable.

This year, it seems people have caught on to our idea, and it was impossible to find a cottage free, so we have booked into the second week of October.

As for microclimate down south? it has to be south devon, in the gulf stream, sheltered from the worse of the westerlies by the high moors. Great beaches, great scenery, good food. Our best UK holidays have been there.
 Any micro climates down south? - Westpig
>> As for microclimate down south? it has to be south devon, in the gulf stream,
>> sheltered from the worse of the westerlies by the high moors. Great beaches, great scenery,
>> good food.

I live there and concur.

It can be ripping it down on the edge of the moors (where I live) and you drive 6 - 7 miles to the coast and it's bright sunshine.
 Any micro climates down south? - J Bonington Jagworth
"The UK's weather is so unpredictable"

Ain't that the truth? And the Met Office thinks it can forecast it 5 days in advance! We had a village fête last Saturday, for which the MO had predicted rain all week, but which turned out warm and sunny, and only yesterday I booked a short excursion for tomorrow on the basis that it would be fine, and today the forecast has changed to rain!

I wouldn't mind if they simply admitted that it's chaotic and literally unpredictable, but then they couldn't keep asking for more money for ever bigger computers, simply to arrive at the wrong answer faster.
 Any micro climates down south? - Cliff Pope
>> Cromer is looking better after its battering in the storms
>> the winter before last.
>>

I can think of places that would look much better after a good storm battering - was Cromer really so bad?
 Any micro climates down south? - Dog
Howls about something like this Bobby: www.leonardscove.co.uk/
Given that the general weather forecast is invariably wrong for the Isle of Wight, you might consider it. The SE corner (Ventnor/Bonchurch) is quite sheltered and the south coast is unpopulated with good beaches and scenery. Plenty of campsites and the Bestival is on from Sept 10-13th (that is avoidable, though).
Arms & legs out weather this morning: thermal socks, ling trousers and a jumper this arvo.
YUK!
 Any micro climates down south? - Bromptonaut
>> Arms & legs out weather this morning: thermal socks, ling trousers and a jumper this
>> arvo.
>> YUK!

Same in Northampton. Sitting at home doing CAB training and I've had to close windows and find a fleece.
 Any micro climates down south? - Alanovich
Chucking it down in Reading, about 15 degrees. Fleece on. Festival site softening up nicely for early arrivers pitching camp tomorrow. I shall be down there on Saturday, I expect I'll be needing my chest waders.
17° in Sunni Cornwall, and dry!! .. sitting here in my shorts & T shirt with both doors open having taken delivery of my new 8kw multi-fuel stove which I managed to shift orf the pallet, down the path in to my cottage single-handed :-)
 Any micro climates down south? - Armel Coussine
>> 17° in Sunni Cornwall, and dry!!

Funny Perro, I always thought you lived in the Shi'ite sector.
>> Funny Perro, I always thought you lived in the Shi'ite sector.

You're not wrong Sire!!
I know this isn't what you're after Bobby, but I've often noticed that Stokenchurch and Benson seem to have micro climates all of their own. They often seen to experience weather which is totally different from that surrounding them.

I dont recommend either for a holiday.
Last edited by: Alanović on Tue 25 Aug 15 at 16:15
>> I know this isn't what you're after Bobby, but I've often noticed that Stokenchurch and
>> Benson seem to have micro climates all of their own.

RAF Benson was, IIRC, noted for being susceptible to frost and lower temperatures than surrounding countryside or other nearby air force establishments.
 Any micro climates down south? - legacylad
A glorious morning in upper Ribblesdale. Train Settle to Ribblehead, over the flanks of Ingleborough, took in the Norber erratics, pint in Game Cock at Austwick, pot of tea at Feizor then continue walk home. Tee shirts and shorts all day. Warm wind, most agreeable, but not sure about a micro climate!
As for the OPs original question. Go to airport, fly to Madge Orca.
>> I know this isn't what you're after Bobby, but I've often noticed that Stokenchurch and
>> Benson seem to have micro climates all of their own. They often seen to experience
>> weather which is totally different from that surrounding them.
>>
>> I dont recommend either for a holiday.

M25 southern section, J9 to J5 has its own microclimate. Cold dry easterlies meet wet warm westerlies on the north downs, with the M25 nestled against its base.

Hence the motorway gets localised snow, fog, ice and cloudbursts. All at the same time sometimes.

Holiday destination? seems popular - loads of afghan, somalis, Libyans etc seem to travel to Clacket Lane services. .

Cheers for all the suggestions folks - will start playing about with google maps now to try and find these new places like Devon etc........ :)

Only joking, spent a great week in Newquay couple of years ago, thoroughly enjoyed it!

>> Only joking, spent a great week in Newquay couple of years ago, thoroughly enjoyed it!

Wrong county, wrong coast.
 Any micro climates down south? - MD
You can't educate Pork.

Local saying. Chuff all to do avec moi.
Recently we had to travel to Exeter every day for to gather the pennies. The weather was as usual, pretty carp up here. Upon hitting Crediton or just prior the whole weather perspective changed immeasurably including temp'. South Devon is the way to go if sunshine is top priority.
>>Upon hitting Crediton or just prior the whole weather perspective changed immeasurably including temp'

Nice little place for someone:

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-53883299.html
>> >>Upon hitting Crediton or just prior the whole weather perspective changed immeasurably including temp'
>>
>> Nice little place for someone:
>>
>> www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-53883299.html

High flood risk.
>>High flood risk.

I wondered why it was a good price, that and the fact that it's part thatched :(
>> >>High flood risk.
>>
>> I wondered why it was a good price, that and the fact that it's part
>> thatched :(
>>

.........and grade2 listed - a definite disadvantage IMO.
>>.........and grade2 listed - a definite disadvantage IMO.

Avez vous ever owned a listed property then Dodger? [That's my Pointer, Cody's kennel name BTW. Artful Dodger :)]

I do like that property and it would suit me and the missus, like. It's probably part cob too by the looks of it :(

Nought is right too [as usual] Re: at high risk of flooding, I checked it out on the flood map.

My Plymouth friend reckons "I thought 'hmm that looks nice' right in heart of the Devonshire countryside - but looking at the street view it seems to be right on a staggered junction wiv traffic coming at it from 4 directions? Shame cause Crediton is nicely placed for Bideford and Barnstable, Exeter and Exmouth etc".
My sister lives, in Kent, in a Grade 2 listed pile, with three huge reception rooms, a dining room, 7 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms, a huge kitchen, a huge utility room, a study. outbuildings and six acres of land.
There have been at least 17 extensions to the original Elizabethan building, of which the only visible original part is the double sided huge, inglenook fireplace.
It is probably the largest house in the village and has kept them poor for many years!
She and her husband are in a situation where it it would be sensible to sell, but they are terrified of the listed building enforcers finding out that there have been some unauthorised changes made over the years - solely to the interior!
Last edited by: Roger. on Wed 26 Aug 15 at 14:33
 Any micro climates down south? - RattleandSmoke
The Torbay area springs to mind, always been good weather when I have been to Torquay.

I tend to like that area because it is very easy to get to from Manchester via public transport.

If she knew it was a listed building why on earth did she not discuss the changes with the planning authority? They are not usually unreasonable and better to work with them than fight them.

Could be in for a very big bill especially if they insist on reinstatement. Altering a listed building without planning permission is a criminal offence. Best to come clean and discuss it white them now I would think.

>>It is probably the largest house in the village and has kept them poor for many years!

A *blind man said to me many years ago that period properties are a money pit. This cottage is c1790, but fortunately, all the work was done before I purchased it. The plastering (render more like it) is cocked up though, because a lot of it is/has blown. Probably should have been lime.

*He owns runs Bliss Blinds in Carnwall.
 Any micro climates down south? - No FM2R
My house is listed.

How long ago was the last change?
Did everything have planning permission?
 Any micro climates down south? - Westpig
>> My house is listed.

How would the authorities know when who did what?
when it was listed, they made an inventory. They can come round and check any time. The owner at the time of non compliance fixes it at their expense. Your solicitor should have pointed out it was listed and offered you a one time payment insurance against non compliance. (as long as you didn't carry it out)
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 26 Aug 15 at 17:19
 Any micro climates down south? - Mapmaker
>>when it was listed, they made an inventory.

Probably. Or perhaps, anyway.

Anyway, that's why Roger votes UKIP.
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Wed 26 Aug 15 at 17:55
-when it was listed, they made an inventory.

Probably not.

Firstly its GII not GI, and secondly it depends when it was listed. In the 80s for example there was a big push to list stuff and so anything old was listed with little care or selection.

Also, it depends on the classification of the area in which the listing lies.

I've been through this a lot. It is typically a lot less trouble than people think, and often the powers of Conservation are usually lower. Also Conservation are usually happy with working with the owners.

The ones you read about are normally those where permission was asked for and specifically refused.

Need more details really.

Starting with the listing - how do you know its listed, when was it listed, why was it listed, when was the work done, what was the planning permission etc. etc.
>> -when it was listed, they made an inventory.
>>
>> Probably not.

Probably yes, its has to be inventoried to make it onto the grading. It has to have many features or a singularly unique feature to be listed. You can't decide that from google earth.

>> Also, it depends on the classification of the area in which the listing lies.

Now you are talking about a conservation area, which is not the same as "listed" many people get the two mixed up and they have different rules and very different enthusiasm and checking for enforcement.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 26 Aug 15 at 20:38
Why do you have to fight every semantic detail?

>>its has to be inventoried to make it onto the grading

Not, its does not. True, it "should", but its not essential nor compulsory.

>>It has to have many features or a singularly unique feature to be listed.

No, it does not. True, it "should", but its not essential nor compulsory.

For example in the late 80s local areas were set with listing targets. Many/most of them essentially then drove around the local area and set about listing stuff. There are many examples were the occupant and owner was not aware. (My Father was one)

>>Now you are talking about a conservation area

No, I wasn't. Although that is one of the possibilities. I was not confused, nor confusing the two.

In fact certain classifications can actually help you change a GII building.

> they have different rules and very different enthusiasm and checking for enforcement.

Yes they do, but a significant point is the effect that one has upon the enthusiasm of the other.

Although frequently for both their enthusiasm is driven by neighbour noise.

I own a 1610 Grade II listed Farmhouse in a rural environment and a 1820 GII in a conservation area. Both were changed with and without authorisation before I bought them, and have been changed with authorisation since I have owned them.

In one case it is used as a object lesson by the Conservation Authority as to how development and conservation can work together.

Let it go. If you wish to argue the nth detail, then have at it, but I have actually been in this position, rather than just reading about it.

For a normally very knowledgeable bloke you do have a rather ridiculous habit of trying to stamp on every area of expertise.

>> Let it go. If you wish to argue the nth detail, then have at it,
>> but I have actually been in this position, rather than just reading about it.

Why on earth do you think I have any desire to have a go at you? what on earth makes you think you are so important to me that I need to compete with you? I was merely expanding upon what you said, which as you know varies by area.

>> to stamp on every area of expertise.

get stuffed you overblown windbag.
I have no idea whether or not you wish to have a go at me. But you were making blanket statements which were, and are, incorrect.

Now, you seem to be having a pop. No doubt justifying how unimportant I am, how you couldn't possibly want to have a go at me etc. etc.

But feel free to explain your experience, which doesn't include Google, in this area to reassure people as to the quality of your opinions. If you think it will help.

>>get stuffed you overblown windbag.

You missed "good looking".

>> You missed "good looking".

Believe me, no-one in the UK is missing you.

Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 26 Aug 15 at 21:22
Damn, and there I was hoping to get you banned.
Same ole, same ole.

You get pulled up on something, you then try your shock tactics of strong personal insults and hope the other person rises to it. This time I caught myself.
Seriously mark? You need to get over yourself. I suspect the gin is at work down there.
QED.

Two of my favourite critics sounding off at each other.
It does not getmuch better than that.
Laying in a supply of popcorn and liquid refreshment for tomorrow's session! :-)
>>
>> Two of my favourite critics sounding off at each other.
>> It does not getmuch better than that.
>> Laying in a supply of popcorn and liquid refreshment for tomorrow's session! :-)

Probably the first time I've given Roger a green thumb :-)
>>Probably the first time I've given Roger a green thumb

Let it be the last or Father Christmas isn't coming for you this year.
See what you have done? Poor ole brompy has thrown all his principals down the crapper because of you.
'Scuse me, its me, out of the goodness of his heart, who has been holding Bromp's principals out of the crapper all this time, it was listening to you incessantly drone on that finally caused him to give up.
Taking two seconds of fame as duty pedant.....

I think you mean principles rather than principals.
Taking duty pedant to a new level....

No, he meant "principals". He was just wrong and should have meant "principles".
see you have reduced him to meaningless pedantry.
The big palm house in Kew Gardens is certainly a micro-climate. I seem to remember there were even exotic birds in it last time I was there.
I'm not sure that a roof is quite within the rules. Impressive building, though:

tinyurl.com/oc3qfq7

Architects seem to have been sitting on their hands for 170 years...
Last edited by: J Bonington Jagworth on Thu 27 Aug 15 at 13:44
>> I'm not sure that a roof is quite within the rules. Impressive building, though:

A roof is a very good way of preventing the microclimate from blending with the macroclimate and thus vanishing.

It's a very fine building though, and the best part of two centuries old. On reflection I don't remember birds, but butterflies perhaps and insects.

(That reminds me of my Asian childhood: there were a lot of boringly marked but incredibly huge butterflies. Hope they are still there, haven't been purged along with mosquitoes).
Rosemoor gardens (Great Torrington) on the banks of the river Torridge has it's own climate. Well worth a visit if you're around this way. We are members. It's very pleasant.
We are all missing the obvious here. The warmest microclimates are to be found in cities and the warmest city in the country is London. The Met Office confirm this.

So for an out of season break try Hyde Park.
Tabard Park is quite nice at this time of year ISTR.
Where we used to live in Gorran Haven had a micro climate, check it out on the map and y'all 'sea' why.
I walked through GHaven whilst backpacking the SWCP. Had a night of luxury at Boswinger YH then moved on to a camp site at Par Sands. Fine views from Gribbin Head.
Almost bought a gaff at Boswinger, pulled out at the very last moment and bought the Gorran place instead.

You musta walked past www.westcountrywalks.com/wcornwall/southcoast/dodman/dodman-01.php too, we used to walk there from GH on Sundays.
Yes, whilst recuperating I walked the SWCP from Weston ( not so super) Mare round to Poole, over a two year period, and three visits. Since then I have returned twice and walked some sections again. The beauty of backpacking is the ability to walk as far as you want. Some days I might walk in the am, spend an afternoon reading or swimming in a quiet cove, as I did around GH, then move on and wild camp somewhere just off the path. Beautiful part of the world for walking when the weather is favourable.
A home with a sea view is on my bucket list, but no plans yet, apart from downsizing next Spring.
I've owned two properties with sea views. One in Tenerife and one in Cornwall, you get fed up with it eventually - gimme a countryside view any day.

You live a charmed life LL, I envy you :)
I agree. Not so very long ago myself, friends, and better qualified people thought a prosthetic might be on the cards. Not the end of the world by any means, but staring at a hospital ceiling for an extended period gives you lots of thinking time.
I have a stunning countryside view at the moment, maybe I should seek a house swap for a month. Anyone got a gaff with a view of Lake Tahoe?
I've got a gaff from which you can smell the Reading Festival campsite. Any use to you?
Thanks, but might I decline? The only noise I can hear at the moment is that of sheep bleating. I've never been to a proper full on music festival, and it just doesn't appeal, even when younger I would prefer several days camping in the rain in the wilds of Scotland.
 Any micro climates down south? - Fenlander
>>>gimme a countryside view any day

I've been beside and on the sea for mostly leisure purposes all my life and I'm still strongly drawn.

But I'm no great fan of the usual open expanse of water type traditional sea view.... like this...

www.bramleyandteal.co.uk/assets/images/26FB11DC-0EFF-40E6-A6C4-722CC40B218E.jpg

However they put a lot more thought into designing the jutty bits of Scotland giving far more agreeable views over sea framed and backed by more countryside such as the view from our holiday cottage this year which was broadly this...

gerarimages.sarsworld.eu/wp-content/uploads/sites/8/2015/08/Tayvallich-7.jpg
Haha! .. yes indeed, there are sea views and there are Sea Views!

Now if I had Lud's sort of money: www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHRBO0ld5Hw&feature=youtu.be
 Any micro climates down south? - Fenlander
Quite.

For us it's not just the views but with smallcraft boating there is little interest in launching into prevailing wind/waves from a flat beach to motor up and down looking at a flat expanse of water one side and a largely flat expanse of land the other.

We head for Scotland so often for its coast but think most years "what about Cornwall" as it also has some very nice jutty bits.
From memory the Roseland peninsula was very scenic. Small ferry over the Pencuil to St Anthony then pitched up, literally, at a small campsite at Trewince just off the SWCP. Charged me a fiver for my tiny tent, it was mid Sept and quiet, the next day had a swim in Gerrans Bay, a snooze on Nare Head then on to Boswinger.
Good job I kept my SWCP Association log book up to date otherwise I would have forgotten those days...I must return.
>>I must return.

Bring your waterproofs!!
>> "what about Cornwall" as it also has some very nice jutty bits.

The Carrick Roads might be worth checking out Fl:

www.cornwall-online.co.uk/waterside/sailing-carrickroads.htm
 Any micro climates down south? - neiltoo
Spent several Holidays from 1959 - age 13 - at Gorran Haven. We stopped at the end cottage on the point opposite the harbour.
The toilet was in the shed, and the only water for cooking was a tap outside the front door.
I think it's a bit posher now.
Gorran was idylic then. It's still very pretty.
I remember that first time, we stopped the first week at Rice Farm - a little bit inland up the main street, then went to the cottage for the second week. Our holiday period was our local "wakes" fortnight - last week in June, first in July, and the weather was perfect - agree on the microclimate.
Spent hours on the beach, damming, and reconfiguring the stream. It was also about my first taste of freedom, when I was allowed to wander on my own, Remember walking up to the Dodman Point, and on later trips as far as Portmelon and Mevagissy.

Thanks for bringing back the memories.

8o)
Last edited by: neiltoo on Fri 28 Aug 15 at 15:37
>>Thanks for bringing back the memories.

You're welcome, it brings back memories for me too, of many holidays in Cornwall with my late brother and his family/friends etc.

We mainly used to go down to the Lizard area in those days, Mullion Cove: www.mullion-cove.co.uk/webcam/ Coverack: www.webcams-in-cornwall.co.uk/cornwall/coverack/webcams/bay-hotel-coverack and: www.kynancecovecafe.co.uk/

Dodman Point used to be called Deadman Point as you no doubt know. Tis only in recent years that I've learnt there is an iron-age hill fort atop the Dodman.
We used to go to Polzeath in the early forties, but I was very young and have patchy memories of it. A bohemian friend of my mother used to take the same cottage there for the summer each year. My favourite aunt used to come too after her pilot husband had been shot down and killed.

I was very young, young enough to stand on the bank or wall at the bottom of the garden peeing into the road, to get caught doing it and scolded, and to feel very abashed for a few minutes.
I'd like to have seen Polzeath in the early forties!! Dave Cameron and his wife are regular visitors, in fact I believe they are there now.

My German gf had a nice place in New Polzeath, it would have been mine now if I had hung around :)
There were fields behind the house. I was fascinated by the tractor towing a combine harvester, noisy complex damn thing that threshed the corn and chucked out neatly tied bundles of the remaining straw or hay in rows over the shaved field. It all smelt very good at harvest time.

The leading edge that used to slice into the wheat interested me, but I thought it must be a very sharp blade. Didn't realize it was a wicked sliding comb arrangement. Of course one wasn't allowed anywhere near it.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Fri 28 Aug 15 at 18:18
 Any micro climates down south? - Cliff Pope
It's remarkably easy to create a micro-climate of one's very own.
15 years ago I planted a small wood around our house by hand, having discovered a grant that would pay for the cost of the saplings at 50p each.
Now a bare field has become an oasis of sheltered coolness in a hot summer, and mild in winter because hard frosts don't penetrate.
 Any micro climates down south? - sooty123
>> It's remarkably easy to create a micro-climate of one's very own. 15 years ago I planted a small wood around our house by hand

Easy as long as you've got space to plant a wood ;)
Just a wee update - now booked to go to Torremolinos for a week - I have never been to Costa Del Sol and quite fancy it. I struggle to relax on a sunbed for more than an hour so the possibility of trips into Malaga and Marbella are very appealing.

However thanks for all the info re possible areas in England - may come in very useful for next year's camping trip!
That's the trouble with camping in the UK, the weather is so unpredictable. I have camped all over and seen all weathers. Summer is no guarantee of good weather, meaning dry, but then again has it ever been?
Good luck next year and enjoy Spain.
The weather in the West Country in Spring and Autumn is often better than it is in Summer, This Summer was a washout but it's been grrreat this week. Dare I say beautiful. Rain on Saturday :o)
Good weather in a lot of places this week....I was out on the tops both sat & Sunday ( Ilkley Moor & Howgills) and enjoyed two consecutive great walking days in different areas. A pal and his daughters are renting in the Lakes this week. They have struck lucky with the weather, although the Beer Festival in Grasmere has pre occupied them.
Still quite nice on the Costas, although they had rain in Malaga yesterday:

www.weathercast.co.uk/world-weather/spain/spain.html
Wouldn't fancy being in Cyprus at the mo ... 90°F wivva dust storm:

www.cyprusliving.org/webcam/webcam.php
Latest Forum Posts