Non-motoring > The decline of rock and roll Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 25

The decline of rock and roll - RattleandSmoke
I am into all sorts of music, everything from John Denver to Rancid. My main passions though are indie, punk and two tone/ska but I like quite a lot of classic rock too. I have noticed as this decade progresses there seems to be less and less alternative music coming through. It now all seems to be about dance music, soul and funk, all of which I really hate.

What has happened to good old fashioned guitar driven rock and roll? There were bands like the Vaccines which I really liked and a lot of the older bands are still doing sell out tours but there doesn't seem to be any new rock music coming out that will take the world by storm. Have the modern generation gone soft? Maybe the young generation need to spend some time listening to the Ramones or dare I say it the Smiths!

To me the song is all about lyrics and writing good old fashioned songs seems to be a thing of the past.
 The decline of rock and roll - Manatee
The rot set in with Coldplay.
But after that we had bands like the Strokes and White Stripes which I thought were great, but to me alternative music seemed to start dying in the late naughties.
 The decline of rock and roll - No FM2R
www.billboard.com/charts/alternative-songs
 The decline of rock and roll - Alanovich
Same thing happened in the 80s with all the New Romantic garbage and electronica rubbish.

Then we had an indie/guitar/rock surge in the 90s, which tailed off in to the 2000s. Killers were the last big ones in my book, but even their second album was a let down.

We're due the another cycle soon I'd have thought.

Will see what's about at Reading Festival next weekend, but even that seems to have succumbed to the dance/R'n'B guff which you mention.

Glad to hear there's another Denverist out there.
 The decline of rock and roll - BiggerBadderDave
"Glad to hear there's another Denverist out there."

Me too. In fact, I'm in the mood to play a bit.
 The decline of rock and roll - Armel Coussine
Good God Sheikha, hardly even heard of any of those bands and I'm sure I'd hate most of them. There isn't any rock'n'roll any more, or hardly. '.... the day the music died... '

You're wrong about funk young man. Some of it's terrific. It is dance music though.
 The decline of rock and roll - WillDeBeest
...less and less alternative music coming through.

Offering an alternative to one thing is easy; today's bands have to find an alternative to all the other alternatives too.
 The decline of rock and roll - MD
Try Geoff Barker's Rock and Roll show on Radio Devon. Saturday evening at 18 or 19.00 hrs.

It's two great hours of bopping stuff.
 The decline of rock and roll - Alanovich
Also recommend Rick Witter's (he of Shed Seven fame, who I shall be seeing for the nth time in December) DiscoDown show on MinsterFM every Sunday at 7.

Indietastic, mate.
My daughters seem to find good stuff. Well, "good" as in I like it.

5 Seconds of Summer is one that they play in the car a lot. its not bad.
 The decline of rock and roll - R.P.
Rats, try the Milk Carton Kids - heard them on that excellent sound-track for Inside Llewyn Davies...very good.
 The decline of rock and roll - Zero
Nothing in pop music is new. Its all Blues or Jazz at heart.
>> Nothing in pop music is new. Its all Blues or Jazz at heart.

If only... no offence to Diana Dutchie but Adam FAITH? Do me a favour... 'Ooo oo oo Carol', jeeze... just pop music. Jazz and blues are another thing altogether.
 The decline of rock and roll - Robin O'Reliant
>> just pop music. Jazz and blues are another thing altogether.
>>

I'm afraid when it comes to jazz I'm firmly in the "Fire in a pet shop" camp.

Jazz appeals to left wingers because the shambolic discord of notes that don't work properly together appeals to their way of thinking ;-)
>> Jazz appeals to left wingers because the shambolic discord of notes that don't work properly together appeals to their way of thinking ;-)

Not everyone got a ear innit... Tsk!
Sounds like the Thatcherite free market economy to me. Aren't we lefties supposed to prefer the dead hand of central planning? (That would be Simon Cowell, I suppose. Dreadful thought. You can keep him.)
Just Deezered one by 5 Seconds (as those in the know like to call them.) Fun. Good tip.
 The decline of rock and roll - John Boy
>> Fun. Good tip.

+1

www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2BYmmTI04I
>> (as those in the know like to call them.)

I just aren't down with the kidz like you is.
 The decline of rock and roll - MD
Geoff Barker's ROCK and ROLL PARTY.......NOW.

Radio Devon.
Thanks for the tip Milk Carton tip, it is very soft and mellow great background music when working. Reminds me of early Paul Simon stuff.
Listening to more of it, it sounds more like a copy of early Simon and Garfunkel stuff, but it is great.
 The decline of rock and roll - Dutchie
Diana's favorites Led Zeppelin,The Doors,Journy ,Free.To name a few of the old rock bands.

Adam Faith she liked fair haired chap.
 The decline of rock and roll - Dog
>>Diana's favorites Led Zeppelin,The Doors,Journy ,Free.To name a few of the old rock bands.

Does Diana like the Heat, Dutchie?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9cigYe-ou0
 The decline of rock and roll - Fenlander
>>>What has happened to good old fashioned guitar driven rock and roll?

Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Yes, Led Zep, Black Sabbath, The Who, Jethro Tull, Babe Ruth, Kng Crimson, ELP, Gentle Giant, Uriah Heep, Ten Years After, Blue Oyster Cult, Focus, The Band, Cream, MC5, Canned Heat, Iron Butterfly, Tractor...

Between them they did it all... nothing left for anyone else.

Opinion just because that's my era... really don't think so... when my twentysomething daughter and friends have rock leanings they all return to the original bands of the 60/70s.
Latest Forum Posts