Non-motoring > Nazi gold train Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Westpig Replies: 26

Nazi gold train - Westpig
Surely not?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-33994483

How on earth could you lose a whole train for all this time? Impressed if they did.
 Nazi gold train - smokie
Even First Great Western couldn't manage to be this late... :-)
 Nazi gold train - Zero
Probably the same bloke who claims to have found spitfires in burma.

Loose a train in a tunnel? slight problem, where did you lay the invisible track?

Don't you think the ruskies would have found it?

In short, its a load of row locks.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 19 Aug 15 at 20:11
 Nazi gold train - Bromptonaut
>> How on earth could you lose a whole train for all this time? Impressed if
>> they did.

Buried in some disused tunnel like Henry in the Thomas the Tank Engine stories,only with better camouflage?
 Nazi gold train - Armel Coussine
Didn't this story crop up a year or two back? I remember something of the sort.

It isn't intrinsically unbelievable but I don't think I really believe it.
 Nazi gold train - Dog
www.rt.com/news/312911-treasure-shipwreck-spain-florida/
 Nazi gold train - smokie
Woo that's a lot of gold. A few years back I met a bloke who was a treasure diver off the Keys, and who dived for the Mel Fisher company, which is quite big in that game ( www.melfisher.com/default.html )

He took us round the boat, which was quite interesting. I stayed at his house on Stock Island (adjacent to Key West) earlier this year, and he was leaving Florida to work elsewhere. So he could have missed out Big Time on this one!!
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 20 Aug 15 at 21:32
 Nazi gold train - Dog
1715 Fleet, which is owned by Brent W Brisben and his father, purchased the exclusive salvage rights to the 1715 Treasure Fleet from the heirs of world famous treasure hunter Mel Fisher.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brent_Brisben
 Nazi gold train - Mark
Something has now been found

At a press conference held yesterday the mayor confirmed that a train of a military nature had been found and the area is now being cordoned off.

News item here

tinyurl.com/pmdxls4

As always

Mark
 Nazi gold train - TheManWithNoName
"The 16:45 from Wroclaw to Ksiaz Castle will be approximately 70 years late".

And still better timing that Albelio Greater Anglia.

;-)
 Nazi gold train - Zero
www.flickr.com/photos/88888327@N03/20874006599/
 Nazi gold train - Crankcase
Sorry about this, but the story I'm linking to is the Daily Mail. But techy expertise needed.

Halfway down is a b&w photo allegedly of a family killed by the Germans. There's a car in it. One of the comments suggests it's not a 1945 model, but something from later, showing it must be a photo wi th some other story, hence fakery is going on.

So, detectives, what do we think? Is it a 1940s car?

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3218376/Treasure-hunters-reveal-Nazi-loot-gold-train-tunnel-Polish-secret-agents-set-hi-tech-equipment-site-digging-won-t-start-SPRING.html
I can't identify the car. But its narrow tyres place it in the forties more or less.
You can't tell for sure, but it could be an early Volga in military garb, grey matt, or covered with dust. Volgas became ornate, with much chrome (try google!) but the basic ugly fastback design was made for years. Like all Soviet cars they were thirsty, a bit lumbering and incredibly strong.

Lenin had taste and liked Rolls-Royces which were comfortable and could cope with the vast Russian Steppes. The model he favoured was the Phantom I. Its 7-litre low-compression thirst wasn't really a problem what with all the petrol squirting out of the ground in parts of the Soviet Union. He used to buy them for cash in London and hand them out to favoured individuals.
>> Volga

>> thirsty, a bit lumbering and incredibly strong.

Western car testers at the time complained boringly about wayward oversteer.
>> Volga

>> thirsty, a bit lumbering and incredibly strong.

Western car testers at the time complained boringly about wayward oversteer.

Stalin, like Lenin, used to hand out nice motors to people in favour. Of course he sometimes got shirty and took them back, and you were damn lucky if that was the worst that happened.

Tyrants eh? Can't live with'em, can't live without'em. Tsk.
 Nazi gold train - Harleyman
>> I can't identify the car. But its narrow tyres place it in the forties more
>> or less.
>>

The smallest child is wearing a zip-front jacket which i'd have thought was far more 1950's in style. Car looks to be from that era too.

Had to snigger at the cation on picture #9; " The proximity of the train to the tracks is worrying police, who fear gold hunters may be killed".
Last edited by: Harleyman on Wed 2 Sep 15 at 23:10
 Nazi gold train - Cliff Pope
I'm doubtful too.
Look at this 1940s Volga, for example.
www.oldrussiancars.com/tag/1940/

The rear wheel arches in the photo are not separately moulded, but appear to be part of a continuous line from the front. The rear light clusters are moulded into the wing, not separate bolt-on units on the rear panel.

Narrow tyres continued long into the 1950s - look at Ford pops.
 Nazi gold train - Mapmaker
From the Mail:

"Experts have demanded digging start immediately [rather than waiting to the Spring] to 'end the madness' "

But why would they as (Mail again):

"Hotel barmaid Kasia, 25, said: 'We have never seen so many visitors to our town. It is amazing. People from all over the world are coming here, spending money and enjoying what we have to offer.
'The place has gone tunnel crazy. It's great.'"
Looks like we can't be definitive over the car then - so if it's a con, it's doesn't fall at the first. There are also photos there of alleged bits of Germanic paraphernalia - eagle head, coins and so on, but again, you'd need to be an expert to see if they look right or not.

But as Mapmaker says, there's no incentive to end it for the locals.
 Nazi gold train - Mapmaker
This is a funnier con. It's unclear what the crime is, other than bruising the egos of art dealers...

news.artnet.com/art-world/karl-waldmann-fictitious-dada-artist-329204?utm_campaign=artnetnews&utm_source=090115daily&utm_medium=email
That's a good one. I love cons like that, either for making experts look silly or just for the fun of it.

There has been someone who goes round to art exhibitions or galleries adding the odd work of his own. There was also I think an exhibition of stone age cave paintings which for a long time displayed a work that had a shopping trolley in the scene along with tigers and bison and men waving antlers.

And the recent case in China where a curator had gradually pilfered the entire stock, substituting his own creations. But then he found someone else was also in on the racket, and some of his own fakes had been stolen and substituted.
You might, then, enjoy this book, Cliff, if you've not already come across it. The link is to a Guardian review, which inevitably tells you everything. Reading the book, which is a true story, without knowing the details and outcome is way better of course, as it's all revealed piece by piece in a very enjoyable way, to my mind.

www.theguardian.com/books/2010/apr/10/the-conman-salisbury-sujo-review

Thanks Crankcase. Yes, the blurred ground where fake aquires a legitimacy of its own is a fascinating twist to an old story.

It is I know from experience surprisingly easy to pass off works of art. I'll quickly explain that :)

A few years ago I was surprised to discover that a work of art by my grandfather had sold in Boston for quite a lot of money. He was a painter in oils and watercolours, quite talented but in a very minor league.
But somehow his name had become mixed up with that of an American contemporary, who was quite well known, and whose work does sell internationally. Their names were similar, but my gf had an additional distinctive middle name, and this had somehow supplanted the simpler name of the American to the extent that it was my gf who now appeared in international indexes of artists and auction house records of sales.
I registered with one out of curiosity, and found lots of paintings atributed to my gf. His life history had somehow been spliced into that of the genuine master, even to the extent that the American's life had been extended by twenty years.

I contacted a museum in Boston who had one of these paintings, and over a long correspondence had great difficulty in convincing them that their painter was not my gf, who was not American, had never been to America, and did not have a lifelong friendship with the museum's founder.

In a way it was a relief to discover that my large collection of my gf's works are not valuable after all -I'd rather enjoy them as paintings, not as security and insurance liabilities.

But if I were criminally inclined I suppose I could cash in on this very peculiar mistake and feed them onto the market one at a time. Perhaps I need to write a book about him first to stimulate more interest.
Great story Cliff! Needs to be blogged/booked/filmed. A story with a moral heart to it.
Thanks for the lead on that one, Mapmaker. Just spent a happy lunch hour poking about the internets, tracking down some of the obscure French poets and so forth listed on the Committee.

All intriguingly odd indeed.
Oh boo. Probably no train.

www.theguardian.com/world/2015/dec/15/there-is-no-nazi-gold-train-polish-scientists-say

Incidentally, for those of us mad enough to be interested in such frivolity, if you have access to the History channel and are not watching avidly every moment of "The Curse of Oak Island" you are missing an absolute treat. It's both dire and utterly fascinating in equal measure.

In the third series now, and we've watched all three. I realised last week we'd just spent an hour watching three men getting an old pipe out of a hole. Can't wait to see nothing happen again this week.

Latest Forum Posts