Non-motoring > Snibston Discovery Museum closing down on 31 July Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dave_ Replies: 2

Snibston Discovery Museum closing down on 31 July - Dave_
An industrial museum in Coalville is being closed down at 5.00pm on Friday 31 July. I'm not going to get into the politics behind the decision, but I thought that those forum members interested in all things mechanical may want to get along there and take a look while they can.

The museum was opened in 1993 after being developed with input from the Science Museum. There are two steam-powered beam engines and a recreation of a belt-driven Victorian workshop there. They also have a small collection of road vehicles and a couple of trains as static exhibits, as well as a short stretch of track and a Hunslet diesel locomotive to use on it.

Along with the local mining history exhibits and interactive science displays there is plenty to amuse and engage minds young and old for a good half a day. The main building is due to be demolished for housing, whilst the pit headstocks will remain along with a smaller visitor centre.

www.snibston.com
 Snibston Discovery Museum closing down on 31 July - Armel Coussine
Love that sort of thing, but the North Midlands are a bit of a stretch without a spry jalopy and like-minded companion or co-driver.

Time was I used to belt up and down the M1 like there was no tomorrow. Once or twice there nearly was no tomorrow but God a protec me to raaas. If you see what I mean.

Cost me and others a fortune in maintenance and fuel. I miss the sixties in a way.
 Snibston Discovery Museum closing down on 31 July - Pat
How sad, it's well worth a visit and so educational.

I went down Snibby pit when it was a working coal mine in my previous life as a sales rep, to identify some bearings on a machine working the coal face. I was surprised to see sign posts at the various tunnels!

Pat

Latest Forum Posts