Non-motoring > Apple Pay Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 12

Apple Pay - Bobby
What is the purpose of this?

Is a debit card with a 4 digit PIN really too much hassle for people?

Probably quicker for me to stick a card in a machine than take phone out, unlock it, find app etc?
 Apple Pay - Crankcase
Not for me either, but you don't unlock the phone, just wave it. Under £20, you're done. Over £20, where allowed, it wakes up and you have to use your finger on the touch id thingy is all. Apparently.

Wouldn't fancy it myself but takes all sorts.
 Apple Pay - movilogo
>> What is the purpose of this?

Tracking, gathering data, selling for marketing/profiling

electronic cash = no need to be backed up by real physical assets, feel good factor for citizens = more vote for govt.

feeling smug about how tech savvy you are

etc etc.
 Apple Pay - Crankcase
To be fair (unless you don't believe them of course) Apple specifically say they won't track transactions or shopping habits. I guess they will of course track where you are though, so they will know you spent X in retailer Y, even if not on what exactly.

I've never used a contactless card to shop. I have an enabled debit card (it turned up about a month ago, my first) but the only place I've seen that has a reader is the local Co-op, and when I'm in there buying a pint of milk I have the pennies ready anyway.

Thinking about it, we don't really DO shopping other than groceries.
 Apple Pay - Zero
Whats the purpose?

None of you using contactless pay on your credit and debit cards then? None of used Oyster?

Its just another version.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 15 Jul 15 at 10:30
 Apple Pay - movilogo
I have not used contactless yet although my card supports it.

Used Oyster few times though. I rarely have more than £10 in it.

Apple Pay - Zero
>> I have not used contactless yet although my card supports it.
>>
>> Used Oyster few times though. I rarely have more than £10 in it.

Now you have a contactless debit card you can dump oyster.
 Apple Pay - John Boy
Interesting coincidence because I've been reading up on RFID chips this morning. Do you take any precaution, Zero, against anyone, of a criminal bent, reading all of your card details from that chip?
 Apple Pay - Zero
>> Interesting coincidence because I've been reading up on RFID chips this morning. Do you take
>> any precaution, Zero, against anyone, of a criminal bent, reading all of your card details
>> from that chip?

No because they can't.
 Apple Pay - Alastairw
I was thinking about this at lunchtime actually. As it was sunny I left the office without my jacket, and hence my wallet, but had my phone in another pocket. It would have been quite handy to be able to make a small purchase by tapping my phone (Xperia Z2, it has the required chip) in say Smiths, or the butty shop.
 Apple Pay - rtj70
Barclays introduced their PayTag a while back. Stick the RFID sticker on say your phone and use it to pay where there are contactless pay points. You could attach it to anything of course. I filed mine away in a drawer and forgot about it.

So you don't actually need a phone with a chip to achieve this. I hope your wallet was still in your jacket when you got back.
 Apple Pay - Bobby
OK as the work's email system was down all afternoon (don't you suddenly find yourself having to think what you can actually do without it) I decided to set up my Apple Pay with my Nationwide card.

Used it tonight in Morrisons - first time the cashier had tried it as well.

Very good, but probably definitely filed under the gimmicky heading. Having said that, definitely useful for those times that might have left without the wallet. I would very rarely leave without a phone though!
 Apple Pay - Alastairw
Wallet safe and sound, ta. I trust my workmates, even in Stockport.
Latest Forum Posts