Non-motoring > Train Journeys with Odd Routings Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 3

Train Journeys with Odd Routings - Bromptonaut
Maybe one for Zero.....

The Lad is off to Winchester tomorrow for a mate's 21st. He asked me to look into trains/tickets for him

As I'd I'd expect routes are Northampton>Euston>Waterloo>Winchester or using the Southern service between Milton Keynes or Watford and Clapham Junction to avoid central London. In fact there's a third alternative offered; Northampton>Euston>Paddington>Reading>Winchester. Last leg is a cross country train probably from Manchester and bound for Southampton.

Not a combination that would have occurred to me.....

Any other similar experiences?
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 12 Jul 15 at 19:48
 Train Journeys with Odd Routings - Zero
If it were me it would be Northampton/Euston/Waterloo/Winchester.

Clapham Junction is a nightmare to find the right platform, The Reading X country is a bit round houses. The Waterloo / Winchester service is quick and frequent.
 Train Journeys with Odd Routings - Londoner
A nice story, but unconfirmed . . .

"Towards the end of his life Churchill was visited by a young official to discuss the details of his state funeral. The official showed Churchill the planned route that his coffin would take from his home to London and was surprised that, though Churchill proved flexible and uncomplaining about most details, here he demurred. Churchill suggested various other routes and when the young official finally asked why Churchill tapped his fingers on the map of London and one of the capital’s most important stations. ‘If I outlive De Gaulle, there is no problem. But if he is still alive I want him to be part of the group that greets my body as it comes into Waterloo!’"

www.strangehistory.net/2012/03/15/churchill-de-gaulle-and-waterloo/
 Train Journeys with Odd Routings - Zero
>> A nice story, but unconfirmed . . .

Its a myth, the truth is mostly confirmed in that article. Only Southern crews were signed off on an unrebuilt bullied Battle of Britain class loco (34051 "Winston Churchill") the train of choice, it would need to have been driven very skilfully indeed because of the problem with water stops, and southern crews had route knowledge on Waterloo to Reading. where GWR drivers acted as pilot men.
Latest Forum Posts