Non-motoring > White cherries Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 13

White cherries - Ambo
Are there any of these round your way? Our greengrocer, aged about 35, said today he had never heard of any coming to market. Over twice his age, I can remember only white ones as a child, black ones being a rarity not encountered for many years after.
 White cherries - sooty123
No I don't ever remember seeing white ones, not a big fan of them so it's not something I'd look for.
 White cherries - No FM2R
There were those yellowy ones which had bits that were very light. But out and out white? No I don't remember such a thing.
 White cherries - Clk Sec
Wife and I have cherries (amongst other fresh fruit) with yoghurt most mornings and have done for some time now, but have never seen or heard of the white variety.
 White cherries - Skip
Same answer as No FM2R from me
 White cherries - bathtub tom
LMGTFY

bfy.tw/ear
 White cherries - Zero
>> Same answer as No FM2R from me

And here, never seen them even when I was knocking around the old covent garden market in the early 70s
 White cherries - Bromptonaut
>> >> Same answer as No FM2R from me
>>
>> And here, never seen them even when I was knocking around the old covent garden
>> market in the early 70s

Same age bracket and I do remember them from sixties/seventies. Black cherries were rare and, IIRC thought of as a bit foreign as in Swiss Black Cherry Ski Yoghurt . Most sold fresh at the Greengrocers - summer only - were red but some were paler, perhaps more pink/cream than white.

Maybe a northern thing?
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 11 Jul 15 at 18:03
 White cherries - Armel Coussine
>> Maybe a northern thing?

I don't think so Bromptonaut. We've always been able to get red or white cherries when they were available. 'White' cherries aren't paper-white of course, but yellowish and sometimes with pink areas on them.

I've never noticed a difference in taste.
 White cherries - No FM2R
Thinking about this started me to wondering.... I'm Welsh but i largely grew up in Reading in the 60s and early 70s.

What about the rest of you?
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 11 Jul 15 at 19:28
 White cherries - Bromptonaut
>> Thinking about this started me to wondering.... I'm Welsh but i largely grew up in
>> Reading in the 60s and early 70s.
>>
>> What about the rest of you?

Is it worth you re-posting that as an OP?
 White cherries - Ambo
>>Maybe a northern thing?

Or maybe a Norfolk thing? That is where I spent most of the years concerned.
 White cherries - Cliff Pope
Google is your friend - "white cherries" images brings up cherries in all shades from blotchy pink, yellow, to pure white.
 White cherries - Roger.
Picota cherries are the canine's testes. Nowt else comes close.
Latest Forum Posts