Non-motoring > Potential Health Impacts of Hard Water Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 27

Potential Health Impacts of Hard Water - Dog
I did mention this on some previous thread and I thought other cranks may find it of interest:

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3775162/
 Potential Health Impacts of Hard Water - devonite
Apparently Doggo soft water is worse for you because the Organs, tissues and blood become Acidic (due to the body's processes) without the neutalising effect of hard (usually slightly Alkaline) water. My poor old "bod" is in this state at the mo' so i'm on 12 x 500mg sod-bic capsules a day. My consultant mentioned that everybody that lives in a soft-water area should take at least 1gm sod-bic a day. Soft water is likened to running your car on Parrafin, it'l run, but not very well and not for very long!
Sorry to hear that ike. Of course, what we shove down our gullet also affects the acid alkaline balance.
Coffee, booze, fags, meat etc. produces acid, whereas fruit [most] and veg are more alkaline.

I have my own water from a bore hole, the water is very soft, causing corrosion to my boiler and the copper piping, so I run the water through a cylinder containing magnesium [Corrosex] & calcium [Juraperle]
which raises the pH to around 7.5
 Potential Health Impacts of Hard Water - Dutchie
Water is top quality here in Yorkshire.Does scale up a bit regarding boiler. I've had a few in line filters put in.We use a filter for the kettle suppose to take inpurities out.At my sisters in Rotterdam they use a lot of chloor you can taste the difference when we have a cup of tea.

You might be right regarding hard water in your system might affect some people more than others.
I'd best move to Derbyshire and get my Buxton on-tap :)
You won't move out in the boon docks away from civilisation.
If I had lud's sort of money, I'd be orf Dutchie:

www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/property/11731563/How-to-live-like-a-hermit-in-Britains-most-remote-homes.html
The lad lives in London.House prices there take some believing.I should have moved to London when young.Would have retired in Harrogate mansion and plenty of land.

North and South divide Dog.Nobody got Lud's money..;)
>>House prices there take some believing.I should have moved to London when young.Would have retired in Harrogate mansion and plenty of land.

My sister has just sold a tiny 1 bed flat in sowf lunden for £400k and bought a 4 bed owse in Somerset :)

But, she has CKD + Myeloma and, has just had a mastectomy :(

Potential Health Impacts of Hard Water - Armel Coussine
>> Nobody got Lud's money..;)

Well I certainly haven't...

There's a well outside the house here, quite deep. It's very rusty looking down there and the water must be full of iron. We don't use it.

Don't think we get the same stuff out of the tap though. Probably recycled London-area urine.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sat 11 Jul 15 at 15:32
>> the water must be full of iron. We don't use it.

I'm told though that the old lady who used to live in the other house (this one was her garage and chauffeur's flat) drank a glass of the well water every day, and lived into her late nineties.
>>I'm told though that the old lady who used to live in the other house (this one was her garage and chauffeur's flat) drank a glass of the well water every day, and lived into her late nineties

Why not set about restoring it. See how deep it is first with a ball of string + a weighted object.

I have a 2" x 2" neodymium magnet that would even pull out an old Bentley.

Then you could 'shock' it with bleach, and pump the dirty water out with a cheap submersible pump.

Lastly, get the water tested by Southern Water ... I'd have to do it just for the hell of it :)
Last edited by: Dog on Sat 11 Jul 15 at 14:08
Cottage by the lock would be for me.Can't see the missus following me she isn't that keen on water.
I'd like a lock keepers cottage or an old Victorian railway station conversion.

Orf out now for a 'brisk' walk because if I don't lower my blood pressure, um gonna die!

:o}
Last edited by: Dog on Sat 11 Jul 15 at 14:26
 Potential Health Impacts of Hard Water - CGNorwich
I don't know how to break it to you Dog but whatever you drink, whatever you eat and how much you exercise you're still going to die

Bummer ain't it.
As long as I die healthy, I'm not bothered.
 Potential Health Impacts of Hard Water - No FM2R
If you die healthy then you should have lived harder.

If you die seriously suffering then you should have lived less hard.

There's an ideal point, which is living a long time and then popping off just a moment before it was all set to go wrong.

Frankly my plan is to live a long and healthy life until I am 95, a which point I will be shot by the jealous boyfriend of a 19yr old Las Vegas Show Dancer.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 11 Jul 15 at 19:42
I'm 62, born in '52. I'd actually like to live until I'm 98 in 2050 just to see the changes/discoveries/inventions that will take place. I'm 'living in hopes' of seeing a real ET on Sky news some day.

I used to live an entirely different life many decades ago. but I'm glad I decided to quit - while the going was good.
 Potential Health Impacts of Hard Water - Stuartli
I've lived in a hard water area all my life (although it's not quite as hard now due to increased mixing with water from North Wales) and I've managed to stagger to the age of 75 without falling over so far...:-)

Plan to have quite a few more years yet on the sherbet and Shiraz, all things being equal.....

By the way, I especially loved the taste of the original hard water (drawn from limestone wells) in my younger days.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Sat 11 Jul 15 at 20:12
>> If you die healthy then you should have lived harder.

>> If you die seriously suffering then you should have lived less hard.

Nah Perro... it's a lottery. Anyone can be hit by something nasty any time. I don't want or expect to die, but commonsense says something different. Far too many bad habits. So far so good, but I wont make the century.
Perro?
 Potential Health Impacts of Hard Water - smokie
Dog's previous alias.
I know.

I wrote something, AC quoted me and replied but aappeared to call me Perro.
>> AC quoted me and replied but aappeared to call me Perro.

Sorry FMR (and Dog). I do it all the time.
>>it's a lottery. Anyone can be hit by something nasty any time.

Absolutely! .. It's all down to luck really, good or bad. As I mentioned further up the fred, my sister is just 5 years older than me, but she has a form of bone marrow cancer + breast cancer, for which she has just had a boob removed, and she has end-stage chronic kidney disease - and here's me in purrfect health, crrrazy really.
 Potential Health Impacts of Hard Water - Duncan
>> I'd best move to Derbyshire and get my Buxton on-tap :)
>>

I wouldn't if I were you!

Ever heard of Derbyshire Neck? Caused by dodgy water.

www.peaklandheritage.org.uk/index.asp?peakkey=10300521
>>Ever heard of Derbyshire Neck? Caused by dodgy water.

Nuffink to do with the water guv, not confined to the shire of Derby either. Cod is high iodine, as is a baked potato - but only if you leave the skin on.

I probably get most of my iodine from the 10 eggs I scoff every week ... organic of course :)

Himalayan rock salt is good for iodine too: bembu.com/iodine-rich-foods
Last edited by: Dog on Sun 12 Jul 15 at 10:59
Latest Forum Posts