Non-motoring > How light can you travel? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 5

How light can you travel? - Pat
How light can you travel?
It seemed like a good idea a month ago.
It was Ian’s birthday this week and having asked him repeatedly what he wanted, all I could get as an answer was ‘a surprise please’

I searched the internet and found it was British Superbikes at Snetterton this weekend.
I booked 2 tickets for Sunday and 2 grandstand seats too, so we can watch the entire track on the big screen.

Then my ‘sense of the ridiculous’ took over.
I’ve lived with myself for over 60 years and should know better than to get caught up with one of my plans…….but I carried on regardless, as usual.

I thought that was a bit predictable and it needed a twist to it to make it a surprise.
I decided to try and find a hotel for Saturday night but they were all fully booked but I found this.

www.stpetersbedandbreakfastnorfolk.co.uk/bongo.pl/home/

I rang to see if they had any vacancies and ended up booking the Devonia Garden Suite for the night.
The owner is obviously as mad as I am because he’s got caught up in this whole surprise thing and is a fully trained chef. He’s cooking us an evening meal on Saturday night, in a private dining room and making it a romantic meal for two.
We will be going on Bertha ( GS1400 ), so will be sat there, in full motorbike leathers and boots unless you lot can think of a better plan!

All I have told him is that this weekend, he has to do as he’s told without question, however odd it seems. Strangely he looked a bit like Ernie, that fastest milkman in the east, when I said that :)

The idea is to tell him we’re off for a quick ride about 2pm on Saturday and tell him to go as far as Littleport and stop for a fag break, then tell him to go to Watton and stop for another fag break (he’s used to that!)
He knows Watton as we have a customer there, so directions won’t be a problem, but how do I get him from Watton to Rockland St Peter by shouting directions from the back of the bike?

I have arranged for us to take Sid, the Labrador, for a walk before dinner as Ian misses his dogs from a previous life so much, but I need to get a pair of shorts each and a pair of flip flops, plus underwear and socks in somewhere.
We have a top box but he keeps it locked and it means there isn’t room for me to wear a rucksack.
I also need to get in pills, phone, 2 toothbrushes and fags in too.
Could I wear the clean underwear under my leathers and over mine? ( underwear, that is)
Would it still be clean? Will my leathers still fit?
Will my bike boots fit over 2 pairs of socks?

Now, I get up this morning, there’s a gale blowing, it’s raining stair rods and the arthritis is not good, so do I give up, come clean and just go in the CRV and pack an overnight bag?

Or is there a way I can still pull this off?

Pat

PS He doesn't read this forum, he reads the PB Forum instead :(

How light can you travel? - Hard Cheese

I used to go everywhere in any weather on a bike though now days .... Raining stair rods, luxury gaf, take the car, go in comfort and enjoy it.

How light can you travel? - -
Pity to spoil the surprise, so could you get a reliable overnight courier, or one of your old crowd or indeed a n other passing by but it's short notice, to drop a bag of gear off at the B&B for you.

The other poss assuming Ian's at work today is to nip a bag of goodies up there yourself thismorning, or of course filch his keys and pack the top box whilst you've got him blindfolded and restrained...;) it is his birthday after all.

Going to a big bike meet by big bike has to be the icing on the cake.

Oh and give him all our best on the day.
 How light can you travel? - Zero
Yup GB has it right, get it pre delivered.
 How light can you travel? - Pat
I might just do that...............in 20 years time when I'm too old to do something stupid just for the fun of it.

Pat
 How light can you travel? - Chris S
This reminds me of a TV program a few weeks ago.

They pointed out if your travelling abroad its often cheaper to buy stuff when you get there and throw it away afterwards than pay the excess baggage charge.
Latest Forum Posts