Non-motoring > The Yellow Submarine. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 39

The Yellow Submarine. - Old Navy
From the "Hearing loss" thread.

>> Visions of a sea of earwax with a yellow submarine bobbing up and down:)
>>
>> Pat
>>

A virtual pint to anyone who knows where the "Yellow Submarine" was located and why it was yellow.

Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 15 Jul 10 at 13:50
 The Yellow Submarine. - L'escargot
In Chavasse Park, Liverpool, based on the cartoon design in the film "Yellow Submarine".
Last edited by: L'escargot on Thu 15 Jul 10 at 13:54
No. Not even close, I want the location and reason for the Beatles use of this title.
 The Yellow Submarine. - L'escargot
We all live in a tub of margarine.
 The Yellow Submarine. - Ted

Try this.....just the place for an aging ex-matelot to enjoy himself.

www.yellowsub.co.uk/

Ted
I wouldn't trust that in a swimming pool !
 The Yellow Submarine. - No FM2R
Paul McCartney 1984

"I was laying in bed in the Asher's garret, and there's a nice twilight zone just as you're drifting into sleep and as you wake from it-- I always find it quite a comfortable zone. I remember thinking that a children's song would be quite a good idea... I was thinking of it as a song for Ringo, which it eventually turned out to be, so I wrote it as not too rangey in the vocal. I just made up a little tune in my head, then started making a story-- sort of an ancient mariner, telling the young kids where he'd lived. It was pretty much my song as I recall... I think John helped out. The lyrics got more and more obscure as it goes on, but the chorus, melody and verses are mine."
 The Yellow Submarine. - Zero
good old wikipedia.
Cobblers.
 The Yellow Submarine. - Pat
Antartica, and it's a robot sub.
It's painted yellow to make it easier to spot when it surfaces:)

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Thu 15 Jul 10 at 14:21
Paul McCartney covered Jane ashers nubile naked body in custard, and licked it off
Pleasant thought, but no.
 The Yellow Submarine. - Number_Cruncher
Was it a real submarine, or a mock up for training purposes on dry land?
A real one.
 The Yellow Submarine. - Ted
>> Paul McCartney covered Jane ashers nubile naked body in custard, and licked it off

Need a small tanker full to do that here.....and I'd have to get a lad in to help !

Ted
>>
 The Yellow Submarine. - helicopter
Its the WW2 veteran sub .....

USS Menhaden ( SS -377 )

Keyport, Washington , USA............

and I claim my virtual pint of rum Old Navy ( in totters of course...)

users.infomagic.net/~grog/Yellow.htm
And she was yellow because she was used for target practice ......
Good try but not the Beatles one. Although I know the location and reason I do not know the name of the actual submarine. It could have been one of many.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 15 Jul 10 at 15:40
 The Yellow Submarine. - MD
>> Paul McCartney covered Jane ashers nubile naked body in custard, and licked it off
>>
He went down on One Knee!
this was pre stella.
 The Yellow Submarine. - VxFan

And in one of his other relationships:- laying upon a grassy bank, his hands were all a quiver, he slowly removed Heather's suspender belt and her leg fell in the river.
 The Yellow Submarine. - R.P.
Pre Stella ?

Artois ?
 The Yellow Submarine. - Netsur
For their first wedding anniversary Macca gave Heather a plane............. and a razor for her other leg.
OK you lot seem to have given up.

While the Beatles were in Portsmouth for a gig (March 64) a yellow submarine could be seen across the harbour at HMS Dolphin, at the time the Royal Navy's Main diesel submarine base.The submarine was yellow because it was undergoing maintenance and it's aluminium casing (the bit you can see) had been stripped of paint and had the base coat of yellow chromate paint applied. British submarines only used aluminium casings for a short period, they were replaced with fiberglass, and then nuclear submarines came into service with steel casings.

The next bit is folklore, The Beatles were drinking with some submariners in a pub and in answer to a question one of them said "We all live in the yellow submarine over there".

The original inspiration ? Who knows.
who says? Whos to say the wikipedia version isnt correct.
 The Yellow Submarine. - R.P.
I suspect that ON may have been there.
No comment.
PAH, its folklore.
 The Yellow Submarine. - Robin O'Reliant
To keep the Beatles theme, the original opening lyrics to Get Back were "Forty Pakistanis living in a council flat."

The song was meant to be a satirical take on the headlines which were regularly appearing in the press during a time when immigration was a very controversial issue, but the band decided that they might be accussed of racism and they re-wrote it.
Last edited by: Robin Regal on Thu 15 Jul 10 at 21:11
Well Old Navy - your virtual pint was pretty safe....

That mention of HMS Dolphin brought back memories.

I recall a visit to a 'very secret' submarine base in Gosport in the early 70's when the company I was working for at the time had to tender for work there ...I cannot recall the name but it surely must have been HMS Dolphin. I recall having to hand over matches / cigarette lighters etc .

>> Well Old Navy - your virtual pint was pretty safe....
>>

Too right, I am an impoverished pensioner. :)

>> I recall having to hand over matches / cigarette lighters etc .
>>

I have a good idea of the area where you would have been, nothing secret in there, just a potentially volatile atmosphere.
just a potentially volatile atmosphere. .......

What do you mean volatile Old Navy ? .....The rum store ? Or was it the pub where Pompey and Devenport Field gunners used to meet.........those guys were so hard even their tattoos had tattoos........

I certainly remember the area was surrounded by anti blast walls
>> I certainly remember the area was surrounded by anti blast walls
>>

I don't remember anything like that at HMS Dolphin, The torpedoes were brought in by barge from the armament depot and loaded directly into the submarines. The only blast walls are the historic gun emplacements at Fort Blockhouse and the fortified sea wall that protected the harbour entrance (part of HMS Dolphin).

The area I was thinking about was the submarine escape training tank, which had stored high pressure air and oxygen.
 The Yellow Submarine. - Armel Coussine
Cigarettes, lighters and matches all used to be collected and placed in a padlocked metal box when people entered naval facilities where munitions were stored. I seem to remember felt-soled overshoes also being provided, in case a nail or metal toe or heelpiece struck a spark from the floor.

Even as a child I couldn't really understand why, as modern explosives need a detonator to set them off. The custom must have dated from an earlier period when various forms of black gunpowder were used.

Actually come to think of it gun-cotton, in bags, was still used as a propellant for big naval guns in the forties, and I think that can be set off with a spark. So perhaps it wasn't so quaint after all.
Sorry, all that was way before my time.

I have lived in the torpedo compartment of a WW2 designed submarine. I smoked in those days and kept my ashtray on top of of a torpedo. So glad health and safety hadn't been invented in those days, all the fun went and it got far too serious when we got nuclear weapons and power plants.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 16 Jul 10 at 14:44
No it was not that sort of training area ON.

The place I went to was certainly in Gosport and was under cover and definitely was submarine pens surrounded by very thick anti blast walls .We had to get special clearance and passes and hand over any means of ignition before we got through the gate but its getting on forty years ago so the memories are fading.

Maybe it was not HMS Dolphin or perhaps it was so secret they did not tell you about it ....
>> Maybe it was not HMS Dolphin or perhaps it was so secret they did not
>> tell you about it ....
>>

Definately not HMS Dolphin or anywhere else in the UK if it was submarine pens, I know some military locations which are submarine related and not common knowledge, but hey who cares now.
 The Yellow Submarine. - Number_Cruncher
>>all the fun went and it got far too serious when we got nuclear weapons and power plants.

I'm glad it went serious ON. Providing engineering support and technical justifications for the safety case for the power plant put bread on the table in our house for a few years! When one of the Trafalgar class boats, erm, ahem, ran into Scotland, our office was rather busy for a while.
 The Yellow Submarine. - Tooslow
The captain insisted that Scotland reversed into him and the smell of whisky supports his case.

JH
>> I'm glad it went serious ON.>>

It wasn't that bad, but it certainly weeded out the cowboy element.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 16 Jul 10 at 18:10
Latest Forum Posts