Non-motoring > First migraine, I think? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Snakey Replies: 12

First migraine, I think? - Snakey
A few days ago I had what I believed to be my first migraine. Blurring vision that gradually cleared after about 30 minutes then followed by a splitting headache, nausea and sweating.

A good 2 hour lie down sorted it out but I felt odd for a couple of days afterwards, sort of 'woolly headed' is the best way to describe it!

Classic symptoms of a migraine it seems, but I'm 40 and its a bit late to start suffering from them as it seems most people become aware of being a 'sufferer' a lot earlier on.

Any migraine sufferers on here, and when did you have your first one?

(Bl--dy awful things - now I understand why people can be off sick for days afterwards!)
 First migraine, I think? - Armel Coussine
I get cluster headaches, which are similar in some way since they can be stopped with sumatriptan injections, developed for migraine. They come every day for up to three months, then go away until next time.

They are extremely unpleasant and disrupt one's life horribly.
 First migraine, I think? - Snakey
Sounds like I got off very lightly then!
 First migraine, I think? - Iffy
...Bl--dy awful things - now I understand why people can be off sick for days afterwards!)...

Yes, I used to be a bit cynical, not being a sufferer myself.

But I've since been told by enough people whose opinions I respect how dreadful migraine can be.

Hopefully the OP's bit of bother will prove to be an isolated incident.

First migraine, I think? - Perky Penguin
Very recent suggestion that Botox could be used to treat migraines; probably not on the NHS though. I believe they can be stress related and/or triggered by eating certain foods. Cheese and chocolate come to mind, not eaten at the same time obviously!
Last edited by: Perky Penguin on Thu 15 Jul 10 at 15:58
 First migraine, I think? - smokie
I get clusters too - but they tend to be about 5 years apart and last for about 6 weeks, on and off. Only found out about the injections as the last episode ended. As I was off to the US for a few weeks the doc prescribed about £600 worth for me, which didn't get used and couldn't be re-issued, even tough they went back to the chemist unopened. Felt a bit bad about that, but nowhere near as bad as when I get the cluster headache...

I've had four or five spells of them, and I think I'm overdue for one now...not that I'm looking forward to it.
I started getting them about 25 years ago, and have had six or seven clusters in that time.

Each cluster is subtly different and some have been quite short. One was even on the wrong side. I've just come to the end of one which ran the full three months, plus a lot of feeble aftershocks easily treatable with oxygen alone. When they are in full flood only sumatriptan does the trick, but oxygen usually works if you persist.

They are a tremendous nuisance and great trial, but harmless. They certainly don't feel harmless, but apparently they are.

I just keep sumatriptan I haven't used. It seems to work all right well out of use-by date. It may be a good idea to keep it in the fridge.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Fri 16 Jul 10 at 02:26
 First migraine, I think? - Roger.
A neighbour of ours developed a headache: was very bad and over a few days got so bad that he called in the doc. Immediate trip to hospital - emergency helicopter flight to another - diagnosis a brain aneurysm.
He is only 42 and fit, but it was touch & go for him. The survival rate for bleeding into the brain is not good. 30%, I hear.
He was lucky; he has a big scar on his head, where the surgeons had to get in to stop the bleed: while in hospital he had a small stroke and also had breathing problems and pneumonia.
He survived due to excellent care from the Andalucian Health Service and LUCK.
(A Norwegian owner on our urbanisation collapsed and died - in Norway- from this exact problem, again only in his early 40s.)
Moral:- Take severe headaches very seriously - get your blood pressure checked at the very least.
>> Take severe headaches very seriously

It's very difficult not to landsker. When they reduce you to a gibbering wreck, sweating, eyes watering, unable to bear any light or noise, you can't help suspecting that something quite serious may be wrong. But the medics soon find out that there isn't really anything sinister that's wrong.

I often have to tell myself that I am just a random victim, and that the powers that be have nothing against me for my life of sin. Strangely though I don't manage to convince myself fully. Can't help feeling someone's got it in for me.
 First migraine, I think? - Dog
My Father used to suffer from headaches, he used to always have a packet of Phensic on him,
He collapsed & died at 54 from a burst brain aneurysm.
 First migraine, I think? - corax
>> When they reduce you to a gibbering wreck, sweating, eyes watering
>> you can't help suspecting that something quite serious may be wrong

I find that doctors usually wait until you're practically dead before they think something serious is up. Makes sense I suppose, as many people think they have something terminal when it's usually a case of trapped wind. I'm as guilty as the next person.
 First migraine, I think? - Dog
>>when it's usually a case of trapped wind. I'm as guilty as the next person.<<

Have you considered taking anything for it?

:-)
 First migraine, I think? - corax
I deal with it the natural way, as my workmates will testify :-)
Latest Forum Posts