Non-motoring > Hearing loss after using ear drops Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 26

Hearing loss after using ear drops - RattleandSmoke
I have used some ear drops to try and clear some wax, but even after an hour later my hearing range seems to be limited to 500hz to 10Khz. I cannot hear the rail and I am nex to my window. I can barely hear the keyboard.

Is this normal or should I be worried? Google answers seemed a bit vague.
 Hearing loss after using ear drops - Manatee
I am somewhat of an expert on ear drops. It gets worse before it gets better. And it could take a week or two, not half an hour. The Otex-type hydrogen peroxide ones that fizz in your ear 'ole seem to work better than the sodium bicarbonate type.

Do not poke your ear with anything except your elbow.
It is the Otex type but Boots branded they said its basically exactly the same thing. Seems to be getting a little better now. Starting to wish I had just gone to the docs and had it done properly as this seems more of an ordeal.

If your quack's is anything like mine they'll tell you to bung drops in for a week before they'll flush 'em out, so you still have to suffer. If the drops make your ear sore after 3 days or so that wouldn't be a surprise; just lay off for a day or two.

Note that I am not a real ear doctor.
 Hearing loss after using ear drops - Armel Coussine
In America in the seventies I went to the doctor to get my ears syringed. The receptionist told me it would cost $50 but I could buy a syringe at the pharmacist and do it myself.

The syringe was a soft rubbery plastic bulb with a fairly narrow neck and end. You immerse it in blood-temperature water and fill it, then stick the end in your ear pointing backwards I think, and shoot the water into your ear.

Works very well, and the syringe is of very high quality, still as new and pliable 35 years later.

However, everyone tells me one shouldn't do this. It's never done me any harm, but perhaps they are right. The damn syringe is packed away at the moment, a big nuisance because I need it.
 Hearing loss after using ear drops - Berisford
Aye, flushing ears out ain't what it used to be. I had mine done about 25 years ago, big rush of water, plate full of ear wax, simple.

Went to my GP about 2 months ago with a loss of hearing, "use olive oil for 10 days, come back see the nurse". Crikey, 10 more days!

Anyway, went back 2 weeks later and she refused to do 'em because they wern't 'soft' enough. I made a right old fuss and had to sign a 'get out of jail free' form for her before we could proceed.

Point of my tale is there ain't no more rush of water, it's a trickle, so that old syringe you've got tucked away could well be the answer.
 Hearing loss after using ear drops - Perky Penguin
This is offered as a comment and NOT advice! I syringe my ears, after softening the wax with the proprietary drops or olive oil, with warm water and a turkey baster. An excellent cheap DIY solution IMO!
Self-administered ear syringing - tinyurl.com/3x9fsya

I got one of these last year when the nurse couldn't give me an appointment for two weeks - works OK, but needs a few goes, and of course you can't see what's going on unlike the nurse equipped with periscope (otoscope?)
 Hearing loss after using ear drops - Pat
Visions of a sea of earwax with a yellow submarine bobbing up and down:)

Pat
 Hearing loss after using ear drops - Old Navy
>> Visions of a sea of earwax with a yellow submarine bobbing up and down:)
>>
>> Pat
>>

A virtual pint to anyone who knows where the "Yellow Submarine" was located and why it was yellow.

I'll start a new thread.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 15 Jul 10 at 13:44
 Hearing loss after using ear drops - L'escargot
>> Self-administered ear syringing - tinyurl.com/3x9fsya

"The combi kit contains otex ear drops and a rat tail easr syringe to ........."

It sounds ideal for Ratty.
;-)
 Hearing loss after using ear drops - Stuartli
The Boots branded Otex type bottle is, in fact, re-badged Otex at a slightly cheaper price.

You can use an ordinary ear drops sryinge to insert warm water into the ear and keep squeezing the buolb to help remove the wax, after first using Otex or a similar product.

You have to make sure the ear or ears are properly dry after use, otherwise you could end up with more problems....

Another cause of hearing loss could be blocked tubes - holding your nose firmly and emulating blowing your nose can help clear it (a tip from an airline hostess many years ago).
Last edited by: Stuartli on Thu 15 Jul 10 at 19:22
>> I have used some ear drops to try and clear some wax, but even after
>> an hour later my hearing range seems to be limited to 500hz to 10Khz.

Fascinating. How did you measure your hearing range?
 Hearing loss after using ear drops - Zero
At least he can save money on speaker wire now.............
 Hearing loss after using ear drops - AnotherJohnH
You shouldn't drink the drops - they'll make you go blind as well as deaf ;)
 Hearing loss after using ear drops - -
Driving them old trucks with the windows open for years i used to get serious ear wax probs and used the Otex fizzy stuff for an extended time.
Went to see the practice nurse for a syringing who told me not to use that stuff regularly, it had dizzolved virtually all my ear hairs and doesn't do the ear drum any good over time.

She told me to use ordinary olive oil as it's about 1/100th of the price of over the counter oil, which i do every now and again and give the ears a good blast with the shower every time.
No probs for many years.
Studied it quite a lot and due to being born with a hearing problem I spent most my younger days in audio clinics having hearing tests.

A very crude way of measuring it is to play the notes through Audacity.
www.rnid.org.uk/howwehelp/hearing_check/take_online_hearing_check/?from=/check/

www.freemosquitoringtones.org/hearing_test/
www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/hearing.html
Peanut butter removes car wax, so it might remove ear wax as well.
;-)
 Hearing loss after using ear drops - Clk Sec
In my experience doctors have always recommended warm olive oil to loosen the wax before syringing, because some of the proprietary ear drops can be quite abrasive. I found this a messy process but carried on with it until I read about an olive oil spray called Earol. It's just under £5.00 for 10ml and, for me, works very well indeed.

I'm no expert, nor am I associated with the company that produce Earol.

Hearing loss after using ear drops - henry k
>>I found this a messy process but carried on with it until I read about an olive oil spray called Earol.
>> It's just under £5.00 for 10ml and, for me, works very well indeed.
>>
A second vote for Earol from SWMBO. She says it is by far the best product as it is so easy to use.
 Hearing loss after using ear drops - Perky Penguin
I thought peanut butter was earwax!!!!!
>> I thought peanut butter was earwax!!!!!
>>

Eugh!
 Hearing loss after using ear drops - Ted

My practice nurse told me to use olive oil and it worked just fine.
One advantage of getting her to do it was that she did it while I waited.
( Plus the bonus of a little gentle erotic brushing against me.....oooer, Nurse ! )

Ted
 Hearing loss after using ear drops - henry k
>> My practice nurse told me to use olive oil and it worked just fine.
>>
I have always understood that olive oil used for a few days before attending the wash out is the thing to do.

"Earol Olive Oil Spray has a simple yet unique delivery system which is capable of dispensing a discrete unit dose of olive oil into the outer ear.
Earol Olive Oil Spray quickly and effectively eliminates the need for the use of a dropper or cotton wool therefore significantly reduces spillage or waste.
In preparation for syringing, the NHS now recommend that olive oil is instilled into the auditory canal to soften the earwax. Earol has been specifically designed to simplify this process. Earol is certainly the best news for sufferers of blocked ears - it is the perfect way to deal with earwax"

I also see that Earol Swim it is used to prevent "swimmers ear".
 Hearing loss after using ear drops - Clk Sec
More on Earol:

www.hlhealthcare.co.uk/#

Pardon!
Latest Forum Posts