Non-motoring > Sitting down might kill you Miscellaneous
Thread Author: SteelSpark Replies: 13

Sitting down might kill you - SteelSpark
Interesting article

tinyurl.com/24z7mqj

I always assumed that the exercise I do was counteracting the periods of inactivity, looks like I might possibly be wrong.

Worrying, because a lot of people I know seem to base their activity on the same assumption.
 Sitting down might kill you - Robin O'Reliant
Whatever you do or don't do you will be sure to find a group of "experts" to tell you it is bad for your health. I wouldn't worry.

Anyway, it's time for a fag.
 Sitting down might kill you - Pat
I'm going to join you Robin, fancy a glass of red?

I can't believe this health kick going on in some of the threads.

I'm cuddly and if I was taller I would be slim:)

Pat
!
 Sitting down might kill you - Armel Coussine
Yup. Only an hour and a half before I can waddle to the fridge and pour myself a large one. To be consumed sitting down I think, in front of the odd screen perhaps, otherwise outside the pub with feet up ogling the passing traffic both pedestrian and automotive.

A poser for everyone:

If people were to discover what a 'healthy lifestyle' really meant in their own case - cases differ widely of course - and then observe it religiously, what would kill them?

Because I can't help feeling in a vague sort of way that something would. Boredom perhaps (a much underrated cause of death in my opinion).
>> Whatever you do or don't do you will be sure to find a group of
>> "experts" to tell you it is bad for your health. I wouldn't worry.

No doubt, although at least some of them will be right, so I don't just dismiss them all. You do need to maintain a healthy amount of suspicion, but try to identify what is solid conclusions from solid research.

Of course, you can just dismiss it all and do as you see fit, and I completely respect that. I'm just personally somewhere between the extremes of "oh god everything is going to kill me" and "pah, what do experts know, just live a little".

Having said that, I don't live a healthy lifestyle at all. I was just hoping that the bit of exercise that I did do, would compensate for the rest...
 Sitting down might kill you - Perky Penguin
We just have to get on with our lives and ignore a lot of this so called "Research". I don't know who funds this but when you see junk like "Excessive consumption of jacket potatoes may cause ingrowing toenails" you have to take a deep breath and ask "Says Who?"

I used to take a daily low-dose aspirin, on the advice of my GP; now it has been described as risky and it is suggested that they should not be taken. I wonder what the consensus will be in 2012?
>> We just have to get on with our lives and ignore a lot of this
>> so called "Research".

It's not all wrong though, is it? That bit of research that they did on smoking causing lung cancer, seems to be pretty spot on, and maybe even worth following.

So which bits do we ignore and which bits do we listen to? Or do we just ignore it all, in case we follow something that is wrong?

I would be a bit annoyed, to say the least, if treatments that I received from health-care professionals weren't based upon research.

That's not to say that there isn't also plenty of bad research, especially when the researchers aren't reasonably independent.
 Sitting down might kill you - teabelly
The only research you should take note of uses double blind trials for drugs and properly constructed epidemiological experiments. Ignore any that says 'up to' or offers wide ranges or anything that says something only doubles the risk or less. Triple the risk is starting to be properly statistically significant. You also need a mechanism by which their conclusions would actually work so saying things like cucumber haters live longer is meaningless unless they can offer how this would work.

Also check who commissioned it. If the peanut growers society finds that peanuts make you live longer it is potentially biased!

Sitting down might kill you - Tooslow
I like to live life on the edge, even if it's only the edge of the settee :-)

JH
 Sitting down might kill you - Clk Sec
>>even if it's only the edge of the settee :-)

Watch you don't slip off and break something...
 Sitting down might kill you - Tooslow
I'm more worried about spilling my beer. Pass the crisps please :-)

JH
 Sitting down might kill you - AnotherJohnH
>> ....what would kill them?

Boredom, probably.
 Sitting down might kill you - Mike Hannon
>Because I can't help feeling in a vague sort of way that something would. Boredom perhaps (a much underrated cause of death in my opinion). <

One of my favourite motoring books of all time is 'Flywheel, Memories of the Open Road', actually the collected magazines of the Muhlberg Motor Club. The MMC was started by a group of POWs incarcerated in a camp near Muhlberg-on-Elbe, in eastern Germany, in a serious attempt to provide a focus of interest because so many of them were literally dying of boredom. The magazine was dubbed Flywheel because 'it keeps the works going round during the idle strokes'.

The book is absolutely fascinating, by the way, as a facsimile of the original magazines, which were written and illustrated with home-made ink and a scrounged pen nib, and stuck together with dried millet soup, which was pretty much all they got to eat. The one example of each issue was passed from hand to hand round the camp while the motor club met in the wash house of one of the barrack blocks. They were supported from the UK by Graham Walker, editor of The Motorcycle and father of the more famous Murray. Well worth a look if you can find a copy.
 Sitting down might kill you - Focusless
>> One of my favourite motoring books of all time is 'Flywheel, Memories of the Open
>> Road'

www.amazon.co.uk/Flywheel-Memories-Open-Tom-Swallow/dp/0863501516
"12 used from £1.48"
Latest Forum Posts