Non-motoring > Petition to sack Sky News presenter Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 18

Petition to sack Sky News presenter - Manatee
Over 30,000 people have so far subscribed to a petition to sack Kay Burley over her conduct of an interview with the CEO of Alton Towers following the recent coaster accident.

goo.gl/etSYF6 (Huff Post)

Against my expectations, having watched the interview I think I'd give her the boot for that. The bloke did well to keep it together.

Petition to sack Sky News presenter - Bromptonaut
I've not seen the clip but it's been reported in similar terms in several papers.

The question was inappropriate under any circumstance. Putting the guy in position where he's pressured to breach the privacy of the families is inexcusable.

She should go.
 Petition to sack Sky News presenter - No FM2R
From Wikipedia....

"Reporting as part of Sky News's coverage of the September 11 attacks in Manhattan, Burley claimed that "the entire eastern seaboard of the United States has been decimated by a terrorist attack".[13][14]

In February 2010, Burley was forced to apologise on-air for offending Catholics when she joked that US Vice President Joe Biden, who had ashes on his forehead to mark Ash Wednesday, had a "large bruise" that he had picked up from "walking into a door" or from slipping on ice during his recent trip to Canada for the 2010 Winter Olympics.[15]

On 5 October 2012, Burley was accused of insensitivity after she broke the news of the probable death of missing five-year-old April Jones live on air to volunteers who had been assisting in the search for her. The interviewees were unaware that the case had become a murder inquiry.[16][17][18]

In June 2015 after an accident at the Alton Towers theme park there were over 1000 complaints over her interview with the CEO Nick Varney."
 Petition to sack Sky News presenter - zippy
MD of Merlin was excellent given the hostile nature.

Her interviewing technique was dreadful, she was not listening to reasoned argument and yes she should go!
She should certainly go. Quickly and a long way
 Petition to sack Sky News presenter - Haywain
"She should go."

Agreed ...... the woman was awful.
 Petition to sack Sky News presenter - Pat
I certainly would.

Pat
 Petition to sack Sky News presenter - zippy
Thought about this a bit more...

Merlin appear to have been exemplary in their behavior here, apologizing and offering as much assistance as required to the injured parties and even commenting that the injured parties will have no problem with compensation.

Given how a holiday company recently in the news acted the company should be highly praised, of course much of it is PR but the guy appears to be sincere in what must be difficult circumstances.

The rides will always be dangerous, like going on a train or in a plane. Accidents do happen, even with the best technology, procedures and intentions and it is what happens in the aftermath of these dreadful events that marks the quality of the individuals and company involved.
Burley has helped both Merlin and Varney in the eye of the public. If she'd played it differently she could have set them up.

But, as you say, they do seem to be doing and saying all the right things.

My impression is that she's not that bright and gets lead unquestioningly by the production staff in her ear. Who, by the way, could have told her to wind it in at any time they liked.

She should be fired. And the person in her ear should be slapped to one extent or another. The presenter should get the worst of it though, because they always claim all the credit when it goes well.
Good point Mark. That will probably get her off the hook.
 Petition to sack Sky News presenter - Haywain
"Merlin appear to have been exemplary in their behavior here,............."

I suspect that, in future, this clip will be used for 'media-training' as an example of how to keep your cool in a pressured interview situation. The chap came over, to me, as very sincere.
 Petition to sack Sky News presenter - mikeyb
I watched the interview and it just reinforced my view that Merlin have behaved impeccably in this case.

they have not shy'd away from any of this - it would have been easy to say HSE are running this so we cant comment.

I think she should go.
 Petition to sack Sky News presenter - Dutchie
She is not my cup of tea but she shouldn't go.She is entitled to grill him lucky people where not killed.

None of these rides can be 100% safe in my opinion.The speed and twist and turns they go there will always be a tiny amount of risk.

I won't be taken my granddaughter on one of these rides.But that is my choice.
>>The speed and twist and turns they go there will always be a tiny amount of risk.

Structural failure is one thing but I'm surprised that two cars can ever collide - I had always thought they must have a failsafe interlock so that two cars can never be on the same section. You live and learn.
 Petition to sack Sky News presenter - Old Navy
>> I had always thought they must have a failsafe interlock so that two cars can
>> never be on the same section. You live and learn.
>>

Must be a computer involved. Maybe a similar system to the A400M.
 Petition to sack Sky News presenter - Westpig
>> Must be a computer involved.

Tenner says a human overrode a safety mechanism.
>> >> Must be a computer involved.
>>
>> Tenner says a human overrode a safety mechanism.

That'd be my guess.
 Petition to sack Sky News presenter - swiss tony
>> None of these rides can be 100% safe in my opinion.The speed and twist and turns they go there will always be a tiny amount of risk.

Life in general is not, nor can ever be 100% safe.
From the second one is conceived we suffer risk - the amount of risk one is willing to accept governs what you do.

Yes those ride DO carry a risk, but from the amount of people that have safely ridden on them, I would suggest the chance of being hurt on one, is less than winning a decent amount on the lottery....
 Petition to sack Sky News presenter - Dutchie
Of course we do and you make choices.When I was at sea with the old man we did run in a few storms.

I used to think I made the wrong choice.>:)
Latest Forum Posts