Non-motoring > FIFA arrests Miscellaneous
Thread Author: CGNorwich Replies: 126

FIFA arrests - CGNorwich
FIFA corrupt! Who would have thought it?

edition.cnn.com/2015/05/27/football/fifa-corruption-charges-justice-department/
 FIFA arrests - Robin O'Reliant
The Americans didn't hold back when going after their own golden boy, Lance Armstrong. FIFA should be worried...
 FIFA arrests - Zero
That slimy Blatter will walk away clean tho.
 FIFA arrests - No FM2R
Which is unbelievable.

He can say he wasn't involved, but he cannot deny he was in charge when it happened. That alone should be enough for him to go.
 FIFA arrests - Old Navy
I wonder if F1 will be looked at?
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 27 May 15 at 14:58
 FIFA arrests - Zero
>> I wonder if F1 will be looked at?

You mean Bernie.

He has, many times, he will eventually (if he doesn't die) be properly fingered, unable to buy his way out, and end up in jail.
 FIFA arrests - smokie
Had to smile at this -

"Josh Barro, New York Times, tweets:

Dear World:

We don't even like soccer and we're still going to clean up FIFA for you.

Love,

America."
 FIFA arrests - NortonES2
What would they know? National sport is a girls game.
 FIFA arrests - ....
You should read Foul! By Andrew Jennings about the run up to WC2006.
Blatter used FIFA money to try and get a world ban, he succeeded in getting it banned in Switzerland.

Did the FBI instigation into playing off VISA and MasterCard come to a conclusion or is it still ongoing?
 FIFA arrests - legacylad
Boy but I would have enjoyed knocking on their doors early this morning. Not even chance for a quick bacon sarnie. Wonder if they had any nocturnal visitors still in situ!
 FIFA arrests - Stuartli
Many very prominent sports journalists have been expressing their views on the subject for many years, just as they did with Juan Antonio Samaranch.

One viewpoint:

tinyurl.com/ov6apq4

FIFA arrests - Old Navy
Blatter seems to be keeping a low profile, he must be a bit twitchy when he gets visitors knocking on his door. :-)
 FIFA arrests - Cliff Pope
It's only a game. No need to take it seriously.
>> It's only a game. No need to take it seriously.
>>
It's a huge global industry worth billions.
 FIFA arrests - madf
>> >> It's only a game. No need to take it seriously.
>> >>
>> It's a huge global industry worth billions.
>>

Combined revenue of top 20 Deloitte Football Money League clubs passes €5bn
Revenue for the world’s 20 highest earning clubs reached €5.4bn last season, recording growth of over €400m (8%), according to the 17th edition of the Football Money League from Deloitte, the business advisory firm.

tinyurl.com/o2norpy

In 2013-4 Our local team - Stoke - were 30th in the list of clubs by turnover. (staggered!)

tinyurl.com/ogvnyal
 FIFA arrests - Focusless
>> tinyurl.com/ogvnyal

English supporters are being fleeced the most, by miles - hurrah!

:)
 FIFA arrests - Cliff Pope
>> >> It's only a game. No need to take it seriously.
>> >>
>> It's a huge global industry worth billions.
>>

Your billions. All ultimately paid for by gullible people handing over money to watch overgrown schoolboys kicking a ball around.
Sorry, I just don't get exited about it.
 FIFA arrests - Haywain
"All ultimately paid for by gullible people handing over money to ......................"

Coca-cola, Visa, and any other organisation that's got its name on a shirt or stadium billboard.

Alas!
 FIFA arrests - No FM2R
>All ultimately paid for by gullible people handing over money to watch overgrown schoolboys kicking a ball around.

Why "gullible" ? Foolish, insofar as you do not agree, perhaps; but gullible?
 FIFA arrests - Haywain
"perhaps; but gullible?"

It must be getting on for 20 years ago that kids were sending in their pocket money to help bail out Leeds Utd ,,,,,,,,,, who were paying players £20-30k a week. How gullible does 'gullible' have to be?
 FIFA arrests - No FM2R
Well I'll certainly give you that one.

Were they really????
 FIFA arrests - Bromptonaut
>> Well I'll certainly give you that one.
>>
>> Were they really????

I can believe it, loyalty to footie clubs is like that.

The club was pretty well insolvent but the team were using an expensive Swiss 'executive charter' airline to fly to fixtures.
 FIFA arrests - Haywain
"Were they really????"

It was certainly widely reported at the time, though I doubt every teenager in Leeds would be that stupid! Similar things were happening in Leicester about 12 years ago when ordinary folks were coughing up as though the footy club was as worthy a cause as the local hospice. Supporters were giving time and money organising a car boot sale on the club car-park ......... when Dennis Wise was on £30k a week. ISTR that Emile Heskey and St Gary of Lineker put their hands in their pockets to help out.

Of course there's the annual fiasco of the change of (replica) shirt design as well ........ fools and their money ........

I have a copy of a print from a newspaper of football admission prices from 1981. I don't know how to reproduce it here, but I'll give you some examples with their current equivalent calculated price based on inflation.
Man City £1.30 standing (4.99); seated £1.60 (6.14)
Chelsea £2.00 (7.67); £3.00 (11.51)
Tottenham £1.80 (6.91); £3.00 (11.51)

But, as I've often argued before, football is a religion - and people do all manner of daft things in the name of religion. [I say all this as a bloke who attends about 30 matches a season]
>> >>
>> Your billions. All ultimately paid for by gullible people handing over money to watch overgrown schoolboys kicking a ball around.
>> Sorry, I just don't get exited about it.
>>

You could say similar about going to the cinema or watching a concert. If it doesn't do it for you, fair dos but not all your interests will have the rest of the world quaking with excitement either.
 FIFA arrests - Haywain
" If it doesn't do it for you,..........."

They say that a fish rots from the head backwards, and so it is with football - it ranks from outright, big-money corruption at the top, down to mild skulduggery in the 'Dog & Duck' Sunday League.

If you like to watch a bit of footy, as I do, then you simply choose the level of naughtiness/nonsense that you are prepared to tolerate and pay for (i.e. be gullible for). I shall shortly be buying my season ticket for the local Ryman League team.

As far as FIFA/the World Cup goes, it's obvious that our bribe just couldn't compare with those of Russia or Qatar.
 FIFA arrests - Zero
>> Blatter seems to be keeping a low profile, he must be a bit twitchy when
>> he gets visitors knocking on his door. :-)

refused to travel to the USA (the largest potential market for Football) for 4 years in fear of being arrested
 FIFA arrests - Focusless
I get the impression The Telegraph isn't a fan: "Is this the end for Sepp Blatter, sport's most toxic figure?"
:)
 FIFA arrests - madf
>> I get the impression The Telegraph isn't a fan: "Is this the end for Sepp
>> Blatter, sport's most toxic figure?"
>> :)
>>

Given the Telegraph's prior opinions, hardly surprising..

tinyurl.com/m5vtu4p

FIFA arrests - smokie
I see Blatter has just said again he isn't stepping down. I have hardly any interest in footy but even I have been aware of an aroma around him and FIFA for a few years now. How he thinks he can ride this one out with that background, and when he has sponsors, countries and continents threatening to (or actually) withdrawing support is beyond belief. The bare faced cheek of it... Maybe there is so much corruption in footy and he doesn't consider this a Big Deal (I can remember cases in the UK of bungs and other dodgy deals over the years).

I also can't understand why people who have a really good income and (probably) lots of very desirable perks feel the need to take this kind of risk to bolster their already-massive piles of money. Nor why organisations insist on keeping on some of these old codgers - Ecclestone is another.
Whatever Blatter says he will be gone soon, probably in the next week. His position is becoming untenable.
 FIFA arrests - No FM2R
I hope so, but its been seemingly untenable before.
 FIFA arrests - Manatee
In general, leaders whose probity is questionable surround themselves with acolytes who are themselves well looked after and protected.

Blatter will have a lot of support from people who are no better than him.
 FIFA arrests - No FM2R
>>Blatter will have a lot of support from people who are no better than him.

I guess the hope is that the two fraud investigations will remove or scare off many of those supporters/acolytes significantly weakening Blatter's position. Any widening of the investigations(s) will only spread more and more into his power base as time goes on.

Which is almost certainly the reason he doesn't want to delay the vote.
 FIFA arrests - Manatee
>> I guess the hope is that the two fraud investigations will remove or scare off
>> many of those supporters/acolytes significantly weakening Blatter's position. Any widening of the investigations(s) will only
>> spread more and more into his power base as time goes on.
>>
>> Which is almost certainly the reason he doesn't want to delay the vote.

I think you're right.
 FIFA arrests - Lygonos
The Feds already have one chap (Chuck something) making a plea deal - once some of these elderly guys realise the Yanks do a stiff trade in 10+ yrs for white collar crime there may be some willing to take Blatter's scalp for softer sentencing.

My suspicion is that Blatter will be relatively bung-free, but has simply kept corrupt guys around him to ensure they vote for him every time.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Thu 28 May 15 at 16:08
 FIFA arrests - Zero

>> Which is almost certainly the reason he doesn't want to delay the vote.

Ironically all his support has been from the most corrupt confederations.
Blatter will either be nicked himself as there are bound to be paper trails back to him somewhere along the line, or he'll have to stand down when the major European federations simply refuse to recognise him and threaten a break away organisation.

Too much power shifted from the traditional football nations to the bit players from countries where corruption and bribery are a way of life.
 FIFA arrests - No FM2R
>>when the major European federations simply refuse to recognise him and threaten a break away organisation.

Money.

The sponsors aren't really even vaguely considering walking away from FIFA. They're just protesting with shock and horror to protect themselves and their image. I doubt very much how corrupt it is or it is not, provided it is effective use of sponsorship & marketing budgets and there is no negative comeback from the outcry.

And if we take our country as an example, if it is felt that a proportion of the populace do not know whether or not we are in the EU then I'm damned sure that all they know about FIFA is covered in a 3 week period every 4 years.

Which means that any competing organization would probably not get sponsorship or popular support, particularly not from clubs likely to lose money.
 FIFA arrests - Manatee
There is some parallel with Ecclestone. He has done very well for the people whose support is necessary for him to remain where he is.
>> >>
>> The sponsors aren't really even vaguely considering walking away from FIFA. They're just protesting with
>> shock and horror to protect themselves and their image.
>>

I'll disagree with you on that. People like Visa and Coca Cola do not want their names associated with corrupt organisations, if only for pragmatic reasons. And the money the clubs get do not come from FIFA, but from their own associations who distribute TV cash. That's what the Premiership runs on and it's the same in every major nation.
 FIFA arrests - No FM2R
>>People like Visa and Coca Cola do not want their names associated with corrupt
>>organisations, if only for pragmatic reasons.

Exactly, *only* for pragmatic reasons. So if being shocked and appalled protects them, then shocked and appalled they are. And they woudl only pull away from the sponsorship if shock and appalled wasn't hacking it.

>>And the money the clubs get do not come from FIFA, but from their own associations who
>>distribute TV cash.

Fair enough, I'll take your word for it. I have worked on the "TV Casj" side, but not ont eh international side. However, I thought that since FIFA coordinated all international matches and competitions, that the lucrative exhibition matches and tours, such as the big UK teams in the US every summer, fell under their control?
>> However, I thought that since FIFA coordinated all
>> international matches and competitions, that the lucrative exhibition matches and tours, such as the big
>> UK teams in the US every summer, fell under their control?
>>
I don't think so, those matches are only friendlies arranged between the clubs and not part of any internationally recognised competition.
 FIFA arrests - CGNorwich
The Sponsor have two problems with pulling out of sponsorship deals

1 They are contractually tied to FIFA. Pulling out could lead to multi million pound breach of contract claims

2 Sponsoring the World Cup is seen as the ultimate publicity deal. They don't want to lose it

They will make noises but the won't pull out
 FIFA arrests - Zero
>> The Sponsor have two problems with pulling out of sponsorship deals
>>
>> 1 They are contractually tied to FIFA. Pulling out could lead to multi million pound
>> breach of contract claims

The contract will also include clauses about bringing the sponsors name into disrepute. They could, based on these arrests, easily terminate those contracts, and even in turn bring breach of contract claims against FiFA

>> 2 Sponsoring the World Cup is seen as the ultimate publicity deal. They don't want
>> to lose it

Its very very expensive sponsorship, 100 of millions of pounds for tier one, and more than half that for tier 2. However the world cup is the only globally televised and watched event. The Olympic games does not have the same reach into third world and developing countries where most of the tier 1 & 2 sponsors need and want to expand.

>> They will make noises but the won't pull out

They could and probably will enforce regime change
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 28 May 15 at 18:12
>> The Sponsor have two problems with pulling out of sponsorship deals
>>
>> 1 They are contractually tied to FIFA. Pulling out could lead to multi million pound
>> breach of contract claims
>>
>> 2 Sponsoring the World Cup is seen as the ultimate publicity deal. They don't want
>> to lose it
>>
>> They will make noises but the won't pull out
>>
No 1 depends on whether they had some sort of good behaviour or anti corruption clause in the deal. Individual sportsmen have had sponsorship contracts terminated over that, Lance Armstrong being one example. They are quite likely to insist Blatter stands down.

No 2 depends how much credibility the competitions retain. Should the major European nations decide to boycott Quatar in 2022 and turn the event into a farce they may change their tune, particularly if a breakaway tournament is organised instead.
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Thu 28 May 15 at 18:13
 FIFA arrests - Zero

>> No 2 depends how much credibility the competitions retain. Should the major European nations decide
>> to boycott Quatar in 2022 and turn the event into a farce they may change
>> their tune, particularly if a breakaway tournament is organised instead.

UEFA is getting a bit peed off, they represent over half the revenue into FiFA, and get less than a 1/4 of the representation.
 FIFA arrests - No FM2R
>>UEFA is getting a bit peed off, they represent over half the revenue into FiFA

Half the legitimate revenue perhaps, but a fraction of the illegitimate.
 FIFA arrests - Zero
>> >>UEFA is getting a bit peed off, they represent over half the revenue into FiFA
>>
>> Half the legitimate revenue perhaps, but a fraction of the illegitimate.

Clearly!
 FIFA arrests - No FM2R
>>Lance Armstrong being one example. They are quite likely to insist Blatter stands down.

Not as easily as that.

They would have to show that Blatter was culpable, which could be very difficult to do. Failing that, they could only wait for a renewal.

However, they'd would also be aware that if they walked away someone else would step in very quickly.

If it came to it then it would be who blinks first. But I still doubt it will come to it. There's no reason to for the sponsors.

What they will do, and have done, is publicly demand that FIFA resolve their own situation without getting involved in what that situation actually is in detail.

And I would not be at all surprised if the sponsors had not paid a bit fast and loose with the rules in gaining those deals in the first place. As a US registered company they would have to be careful, but it is by no means impossible. There are quite a few grey areas for a lawyer to play in.
 FIFA arrests - CGNorwich
Whatever the terms of the contract there would be a massive and expensive lawsuit which is not the sort of publicity the sponsors want especially since they don't actually want to pull out of world cup sponsorship
 FIFA arrests - Westpig
How long before Blatter goes? He's had it this time.

My guess is 3 days.
 FIFA arrests - sooty123
The sponsers could easily pull out, if FIFA are tainted then no-one would want to step in. See Tiger Woods how many sponsers did he lose and how many did he sue? And that wasn't for enough like bribary, corrupation, wire fraud etc.
 FIFA arrests - Duncan
>> The sponsers could easily pull out, if FIFA are tainted then no-one would want to
>> step in. See Tiger Woods how many sponsers did he lose and how many did
>> he sue? And that wasn't for enough like bribary, corrupation, wire fraud etc.
>>

I don't think I have missed the point - have I?

The sponsors are the people, or some of the people who are paying the bribes. Aren't they?
 FIFA arrests - CGNorwich
It's not FIFA that the public see as bieing sponsored but the World Cup and that's the number one as far as sponsors are concerned.

Tiger Woods was just one golfer. Good yes but there are plenty more golfers and they don't stay at the top forever. There is only one World Cup. It will take a lot for sponsors to give up on it. If one were to pull out there are plenty who would be only to keen to take their place.

It' s commerce and commercial interest will prevail.

FIFA arrests - sooty123
>> It's not FIFA that the public see as bieing sponsored but the World Cup and
>> that's the number one as far as sponsors are concerned.

Oh you'd be surprised how quickly say online campigns can gather speed and plenty of fans link the two. I'm not saying it's nailed on they will leave but it's far from unimaginable.

>>
> It' s commerce and commercial interest will prevail.

Absolutely just as it did for TW's sponsers.
 FIFA arrests - No FM2R
The company will sponsor for as long as they feel it helps their brand recognition.

One can expect that the threshold where that stops being true when they are sponsoring a single golfer is fairly low - the point where that golfer becomes unpopular with the brand's target audience.

One can only imagine what the threshold would be, or what the catastrophic event would have to be, for the image of the entire world cup to become so unpopular with the target audience, football supporters, that a company would withdraw.

Whatever that event is, its a damn sight more than a few corrupt FIFA officials being arrested.
 FIFA arrests - CGNorwich
I'll put my neck out. Not one single sponsor will withdraw from World Cup sponsorship.
 FIFA arrests - No FM2R
Unless they wanted to anyway and use this as an excuse, i agree. Not one will withdraw support.
 FIFA arrests - sooty123
I'm not saying it's nailed on that they will, I don't really know. Just that there is a possibility of them pulling out.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Thu 28 May 15 at 21:28
I'll put my neck out. Unless Blatter goes, sponsors will pull out.
 FIFA arrests - Zero
I'll put my neck out, the sponsors will force regime change.
 FIFA arrests - Westpig
>> I'll put my neck out, the sponsors will force regime change.
>>
Yes, that's exactly how I see it.
 FIFA arrests - Zero
>> I'll put my neck out, the sponsors will force regime change.

Edit, the Sponsors forced the IOC to clean up. Ok there are still some problems but it was, by far the most corrupt sporting organisation around. It isnt now, Fifa beats it hands down.
 FIFA arrests - CGNorwich
Blatter has announced today that he is the man to clean up FIFA. So that should be alright. Putin has condemned it all as a U.S. plot and the Nigerian delegate has re-affirmed his support for Sepp.
 FIFA arrests - No FM2R
>>and the Nigerian delegate has re-affirmed his support for Sepp

....and asked for his help recovering $14m that was hidden away from the regime before the sudden death of the investor and is willing to share the money in return for some help with the costs.
 FIFA arrests - CGNorwich
ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/media/images/83248000/jpg/_83248568_027406409-1.jpg

These are some of the current and former FIFA executives indicted. I ask you does any of them look like they would take a bribe?
 FIFA arrests - Armel Coussine
>> Nigerian delegate has re-affirmed his support for Sepp

>> ....and asked for his help recovering $14m that was hidden away from the regime before the sudden death of the investor and is willing to share the money in return for some help with the costs.

Gosh! You couldn't lose!

My advice to everyone is to buy this one in spades.

And support Sepp and stuff of course, at least I think so.

FIFA arrests - Zero
>> Blatter has announced today that he is the man to clean up FIFA. So that
>> should be alright. Putin has condemned it all as a U.S. plot and the Nigerian
>> delegate has re-affirmed his support for Sepp.

Harry Redknapp is now the bookies favourite to take over, he says he will enlist the help of Rosie the dog as "....she knows how to clean up in the bribery game..."
 FIFA arrests - Focusless
Background on the election, including info on Blatter's opponent, Prince Ali:
www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32925307

Prince Ali is head of the West Asian Football Federation and was one of a number of officials who called for the publication of ethics investigator Michael Garcia's report into allegations of corruption surrounding the 2018 and 2022 World Cup bids.
Last edited by: Focusless on Fri 29 May 15 at 07:54
www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/sport-headlines/professional-football-sickened-by-fifas-culture-of-greed-2015052998709
 FIFA arrests - Roger.
"Fifa crisis: President claims he can't be held responsible for actions of others as Greg Dyke threatens England withdrawal from World Cup

Nothing to do with the fact that England are not in a position to win the trophy?
 FIFA arrests - Duncan
Will the rest of the world follow Scotland's magnificent example and boycott the World Cup?
 FIFA arrests - Focusless
>> www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/sport-headlines/professional-football-sickened-by-fifas-culture-of-greed-2015052998709

...and a Blatter-based one:
www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/sport-headlines/blatter-unveils-enormous-gonads-2015052998691
 FIFA arrests - Dutchie
Is football still a sport or is it all about the money like so many sports now.
 FIFA arrests - madf
>> Is football still a sport or is it all about the money like so many
>> sports now.
>>

If it was a sport, no-one would become millionaires playing it or organising it.
 FIFA arrests - CGNorwich
Of course it's still a sport and of course its about money. All professional sports are and always have been.
 FIFA arrests - smokie
Awful muzak playing during the vote...
>> Is football still a sport or is it all about the money like so many
>> sports now.
>>

Football became a professional sport in 18something or other. From that day on money mattered as people earned their living from the game.
 FIFA arrests - Focusless
Vote gone to 2nd round as neither won two-thirds of the vote, but it was 133 to 73 in Blatter's favour so he's looking safe:
www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32937639

2nd round just needs simple majority.
Last edited by: Focusless on Fri 29 May 15 at 18:23
 FIFA arrests - Focusless
Yep, 5th term.
 FIFA arrests - ....
>> Vote gone to 2nd round as neither won two-thirds of the vote, but it was
>> 133 to 73 in Blatter's favour so he's looking safe:
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32937639
>>
>> 2nd round just needs simple majority.
>>
In the second round he got 250 of the available 206 votes. Said Mr. Mugabe at the official announcement.
Last edited by: gmac on Fri 29 May 15 at 18:40
Now Nike are being dragged in -

www.theguardian.com/football/2015/may/29/nike-fifa-crisis-brand

I suspect they won't be the only sponsors to have questions to answer.
 FIFA arrests - Duncan
Why do the African (generalisation) delegates seem to think that Mr Blatter is such a good bloke? The were queueing up to congratulate him.

The European (generalisation) delegates were keeping a safe distance.
 FIFA arrests - ....
Human condition: don't like change, fear of the unknown.
Turkeys don't vote for Christmas etc...

Why it's it always a two horse race between Mr. Blatter and a relative unknown? The football world is full of people who could take the organisation forwards, why don't they stand?
 FIFA arrests - Zero

>> Why it's it always a two horse race between Mr. Blatter and a relative unknown?
>> The football world is full of people who could take the organisation forwards, why don't
>> they stand?

Blatter is there because of a classic case of Gerrymandering and Malapportionment as well as buying votes
 FIFA arrests - smokie
"Why it's it always a two horse race between Mr. Blatter and a relative unknown? The football world is full of people who could take the organisation forwards, why don't they stand?"

I read last night that there were others who withdraw earlier (a week or more back) or didn't stand so that the "relative unknown" had a better chance of defeating Blatter.
 FIFA arrests - Manatee
>> Human condition: don't like change, fear of the unknown.
>> Turkeys don't vote for Christmas etc...
>>
>> Why it's it always a two horse race between Mr. Blatter and a relative unknown?

www.theweek.co.uk/fifa/63820/sepp-blatter-how-did-fifa-tyrant-win-such-loyalty
 FIFA arrests - Zero
>> Why do the African (generalisation) delegates seem to think that Mr Blatter is such a
>> good bloke? The were queueing up to congratulate him.

Because they get lots of bribes and the money from Europe redistributed to them.

>> The European (generalisation) delegates were keeping a safe distance.

So they wont get fleeced any more.
 FIFA arrests - Haywain
"Why do the African (generalisation) delegates seem to think that Mr Blatter is such a good bloke? The were queueing up to congratulate him."

Sepp'll be alright now - he's held up the racist card against his accusers.
 FIFA arrests - Zero
>> "Why do the African (generalisation) delegates seem to think that Mr Blatter is such a
>> good bloke? The were queueing up to congratulate him."
>>
>> Sepp'll be alright now - he's held up the racist card against his accusers.

Now he has been re-elected he has now, rather than tried to ease tension, more or less, declared war on Uefa. Now that could be a mistake, but I suspect UEFA is not unified enough to break away and cause the collapse of FiFa. Either way the bloke is showing classic signs of megalomania, a case of absolute power corrupting absolutely.
 FIFA arrests - Lygonos
Here's a map of the world - the redder the area, the more likely to support Blatter's FIFA.

www.transparency.org/cpi2014/results

Oh hang on... wrong map....
UEFA and Fifa -
I'll try to be brief -
I think it was Fifa
(Or was it UEFA)
That everyone claimed
To be run by a thief.
 FIFA arrests - Haywain
"UEFA and Fifa ........... '

Worth a thumbs-up!
 FIFA arrests - CGNorwich
You can call me a thief,
It's just doesn't matter.
I've bought all the votes,
Yours Truly,
Sepp Blatter.
 FIFA arrests - Dutchie
I think the beautifull game has been spoiled for years.The F.A.can shout untill they are blue in the face it won't make any difference to Sepp Blatter.

Aston Villa where beaten by a foreign team called A R S E N A L.l in the F.A. Cup final.

It is all about the money.
 FIFA arrests - ....

>> It is all about the money.

Is that the same F.A. Cup as will be known as the Emirates F.A. Cup (formerly the Budweiser in association with the F.A. Cup worth £9m per year from 2012 to 2014) from 2016 to 2018 in a deal worth £10m per year ?
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 31 May 15 at 19:05
 FIFA arrests - Duncan
Oh dear!

Surely not bringing the game into disrepute? Not the beautiful game? Not in Jockland?

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/32954542
 FIFA arrests - Roger.
What actually does FIFA DO?
(Apart from *allegedly* make its officials a wedge?)
>> What actually does FIFA DO?
>> (Apart from *allegedly* make its officials a wedge?)
>>

Runs a World Cup every four years and gives grants to developing nations in return for votes for Blatter.
Perfect version:

UEFA and Fifa -
I'll try to be brief -
I think it was Fifa
(Or was it UEFA)
That everyone said
Had been bought by a thief.

A word here or there may not matter to everyone. But they do to me. That one can stand although nothing is truly perfect.
 BLATTER GONE - Alastairw
Just announced on Radio 2. Rejoice!
 FIFA arrests - Pat
He's finally standing down then!

Pat
 FIFA arrests - Pat
Radio 2 listeners rock:)

Pat
 FIFA arrests - smokie
Understated...according to the Beeb he said "My mandate does not appear to be supported by everybody."

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32982449
www.theguardian.com/football/live/2015/jun/02/fifa-calls-press-conference-amid-latest-corruption-claims-live

A smidge of morality?

Or just that he an hear the Feds' boots crunching up his drive?
 FIFA arrests - Zero
Damn, there endeth a lucrative line in jokes and puns....
 FIFA arrests - No FM2R
>>A smidge of morality?
>
>>Or just that he an hear the Feds' boots crunching up his drive?

Oh the second without a shadow of a doubt.

He is no more or less supported than he was a week ago.

This morning a statement from New York was "We believe we are getting closer and closer to Mr. Blatter, we are closing in".

Who cares, he's gone and that's a good thing. But if he thinks that will stop the US AG coming after him then he is sorely mistaken.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 2 Jun 15 at 18:26
Well that is a surprise.

I expected him to go sooner rather than later, but not this early. He must want to concentrate on his defence for when his collar is felt in the not too distant.

FIFA have always refused to state what his salary was, but it was said to be in the region of 9-10 million sterling. Plus "Tips", of course.
Lifted from a place RR might recognise but still tickled my funny bone.

Boorish t*** in charge of corrupt, venal and misogynistic organisation .... check
Organisation full of corrupt individuals ... check
Blames everything on the Europeans ... check

I wonder if Septic t***ter and Nigel Fromage are related?
 FIFA arrests - Zero
The problem, and the possible reason he went, we will find out at the womens world cup in Canada in a few days time, The general secretary of Fifa, Jerome Valcke, refuses to go in case he gets extradited or diverted to the US, and that means the head of Fifa has to step in. We will see if Blatter turns up and if he don't, we know why.
 FIFA arrests - sooty123
>> The problem, and the possible reason he went, we will find out at the womens
>> world cup in Canada in a few days time, The general secretary of Fifa, Jerome
>> Valcke, refuses to go in case he gets extradited or diverted to the US, and
>> that means the head of Fifa has to step in. We will see if Blatter
>> turns up and if he don't, we know why.
>>

Not sure it's that, the arrests in Switzerland tells us there's few hiding places for SB certainly not in CH.
 FIFA arrests - Zero

>> Not sure it's that, the arrests in Switzerland tells us there's few hiding places for
>> SB certainly not in CH.

Can you explain why Jerome Valcke wont go then?

And also - www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32969992
 FIFA arrests - sooty123
No idea, but it's hardly because they are untouchable in Geneva. Several FIFA officials will testify to that.
 FIFA arrests - sooty123
Edit I think it was Zurich not Geneva.
The noose is tightening round Herr Blatter -

www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jun/03/sepp-blatter-under-investigation-us-authorities-reports
 FIFA arrests - No FM2R
So Blatter has said he is resigning, but could be there until March 2016?

He should go today.

For those with long memories...

news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/9432196.stm
 FIFA arrests - ....
>> So Blatter has said he is resigning, but could be there until March 2016?
>>
>> He should go today.
>>
He has the shredder booked until March 2016.
I wonder if it was raining hard drives in Zurich's district 7 earlier this week?
 FIFA arrests - smokie
Justice takes time...

www.wikileaks-forum.com/fifa-files/629/the-fifa-files-plot-to-buy-the-world-cup-download-the-docs/30022/

and the actual files

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5RTNnfyNdgwTkExRWVubzBQakE&usp=sharing

FIFA arrests - henry k
Jack Warner's video statement

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-33002674
 FIFA arrests - No FM2R
Meanwhile, on the Planet Zog....

www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33284185
 FIFA arrests - Observer
When does "resign" not mean "resign"?

In a Gilbert and Sullivan comical operetta plotline? Monty Python sketch?

No - I've got it: Through the Looking Glass:

“When I use a word,’ Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, ‘it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.’

’The question is,’ said Alice, ‘whether you can make words mean so many different things.’

’The question is,’ said Humpty Dumpty, ‘which is to be master — that’s all.”

Blatter's exact words at the time were: "‘I will call an extraordinary congress to elect a new president. I will not stand." (Metro)

Sounds like "resign" to me.
Last edited by: Observer on Fri 26 Jun 15 at 14:21
 FIFA arrests - Old Navy
Blatter reminds me of Blair, maybe he should run for Labour Party leadership. :-)
 FIFA arrests - Zero
>> Meanwhile, on the Planet Zog....
>>
>> www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33284185

Planet Zog is about right. Blatter has become institutionalised, and has no grasp of reality outside being president of FIFA.
 FIFA arrests - Londoner
So has Blatter "unresigned"?

Blatter = Farage.

Notice that you never see them in the same room together, both think that there organisations would collapse without them, both have weird ideas, both spend a lot of time in Europe.

Plus, there are 4 letters in the name "UKIP" and 4 letters in the name "FIFA".

It's uncanny, I tell ya!
 FIFA arrests - Zero

>> It's uncanny, I tell ya!

It has more going for it than the 9-11 conspiracies. You need to work flight MH370 into it somehow tho.
 FIFA arrests - Westpig
Not before time then:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34363289
 FIFA arrests - Zero
Ok, well Blatter has clearly been to the Earnest Saunders Clinic for diagnosis

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34787547

Sepp Blatter: Fifa president in hospital after 'small breakdown'

Suspended Fifa president Sepp Blatter is in hospital after suffering what has been described as a "small breakdown".
Blatter, 79, who has led world football's governing body for 18 years, was provisionally suspended for 90 days last month amid a corruption scandal.
It is understood he suffered what has been called "a nervous shock" but is expected to make a full recovery.

No doubt he will make a remarkable recovery after the criminal hoo haa has died down.
Latest Forum Posts