Non-motoring > My hat.... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 46

My hat.... - No FM2R
I have a great hat, but its not only a bit more expensive than I would normally wear, it was also a present and I will be executed if I spoil it.

It says "100% wool felt - water repellant".

Simple question; Can I go out in the rain wearing it?

My hat.... - Armel Coussine
I'd check with the makers before getting it really soaked. 'Water repellent' may not mean waterproof exactly.

My hat.... - madf
Yes.

It will get wet and smell of sheep if very wet tho...
 My hat.... - Old Navy
You could put a shower cap over it like the American police and government agency people. I am sure Mrs No FM would have one you could use. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 4 May 15 at 16:43
 My hat.... - Clk Sec
Can you post a picture of said hat, please?
 My hat.... - WillDeBeest
Yes. I've mentioned my Stetson 'Mello-felt' hat here before. I bought it to keep off the Texan sun, but it's pretty good in the English rain too.
 My hat.... - Old Navy
>> Can you post a picture of said hat, please?
>>

farm6.static.flickr.com/5241/5286785078_00d5c9c67e_o.jpg
 My hat.... - Cliff Pope
It looks as if it has been wrapped in clingfilm or a polythene bag. That should be fine in the rain. Or just wear the bag.
 My hat.... - No FM2R
www.flickr.com/photos/125140832@N05/17368551781/
 My hat.... - Clk Sec
That's nice, NoFM. If it was mine it would be worn in the cold, but not in the rain.
 My hat.... - No FM2R
>>That's nice, NoFM. If it was mine it would be worn in the cold, but not in the rain.

Thank you.

I guess I would like to know if rain is;

1) Perfectly ok
2) To be avoided
3) An unmitigated disaster
 My hat.... - Clk Sec
It's only going to be resistant to water, not completely waterproof. I think there would be a possibility of it losing its shape if it gets a good soaking too often.

Probably best to email the manufacturer.
 My hat.... - WillDeBeest
It's unlikely to get soaked, though - especially where NoFM lives. I'd expect raindrops to bead up on it and be susceptible to shaking off well before there's enough to soak it.

Yes, if you know you're going to be out in a tropical downpour, wear something else; in an unexpected shower, it'll be fine. In other words, somewhere between 1 and 2 on the NoFM scale. Nice hat.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Mon 4 May 15 at 17:22
If rain isn't perfectly OK, then the titfer is to be avoided if you ask me.

Not too keen on it myself anyway. Not enough slouch to it, and it's pale brown.

I thought at first that the white Stetson was being modelled by WDB himself. What a handsome fellow, I thought, in a sinister, overbearing sort of way. But it must be a Stetson model, modern Wild West, Cormac McCarthy style, surely?
 My hat.... - WillDeBeest
Cheeky, AC!

Mine looks more like this:
www.stetson.com/hats/mens/carson-cowboy-hat-in-acorn
although there's a hint of green to it. And this one doesn't claim to be packable, which mine certainly is.
 My hat.... - Haywain
Nice hat - very similar to the Akubra Plainsman that I bought in Tazzie.

My hat.... - R.P.
I have a very fetching Christy branded one. 100% wool as well. Doesn't mention rain. I'd opt for B personally.
 My hat.... - sooty123
Have a look at the label, if it says something along the lines of hand wash gentely/no machine wash etc then don't take it out in the rain. If you can stick it in the washing machine then it'll be fine.
 My hat.... - WillDeBeest
Neither of those seems very probable, Sooty. You clean a felt hat with a brush and the occasional baby wipe, not by bunging it in the wash with your Y-fronts! Nothing with leather parts is going to benefit from washing, by machine or by hand.

This is Akubra's advice
www.akubra.com.au/hatcare.html
 My hat.... - sooty123
It was just an example, I can't read the label from here ;-)
 My hat.... - No FM2R
It doesn't have a washing instructions label.

I think I'll go with the avoid rain but don't panic if it happens. I wouldn't want to risk it losing its shape if it got soaked.

I've never had a "good" hat before. Its a bit of a worry, but I rather like it.

My hat.... - Kevin
>I think I'll go with the avoid rain but don't panic if it happens. I wouldn't want to risk it losing
>its shape if it got soaked.

That's the sensible approach but if it does get wet let it dry naturally seems to be the preferred way.

www.stetson.com/hats/care

I was wandering around Shepler's in Austin a few years ago and fancied a hat but was amazed at the prices. Over $1000 for the top of the range stuff.

Shepler's hat section also had a care/repair point where you could drop off your $1000 hat for cleaning and re-forming. Bit like a dry-cleaners.
 My hat.... - CGNorwich
Wool felt will tend to lose its shape and feel over time. Soaking it will do no good at all. the best quality and most expensive hats are made from fur felt which, with a little care, will last forever and are pretty impervious to rain.
 My hat.... - R.P.
Mine says sponge clean. DOn't take it out in the rain. You're not Indiana Jones !
No one in their right mind would spend good money on a hat that couldn't be allowed to get wet, except what they call a 'rich 'ore' up in Cheshire...

Tchah!

Wot abaht them levver ats some Ozzzies wear then? Eh? Rain, sweat, kangaroo blood and guts, wa'er off of a duck's back innit?
There is, or used to be, a very poncy tailor in Oxford High St. In an elated moment once I went in there and asked if they had any 'huge, black, Anarchist hats'. They drew themselves up, looked down their noses and said No Sir, they hadn't.

Ended up with a greenish, hairy pork-pie job (not from there I'm sure). Someone stole it in the Union. Universities are full of sneaky little carphound thieves and you have to keep your belongings about you and stay sober. Same with bicycles.

This country is rather awful and the upper middle classes are total Scheiss.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Mon 4 May 15 at 18:15
 My hat.... - WillDeBeest
Shepherd & Woodward, AC?
 My hat.... - Skip
You could always spray it with that stuff you waterproof tents with ! :-)
>> Shepherd & Woodward, AC?

No doubt WDB. Can't remember myself.

It occurs to me though that if anyone is more ghastly than the upper middle classes, it's tailors. Just try Savile Row if you don't believe me. Take a knuckleduster and a couple of Molotov cocktails for when they annoy you.
 My hat.... - R.P.
"Stole" surely liberated from a fellow anarchist....property is theft !
>> "Stole" surely liberated from a fellow anarchist....property is theft !

Stolen, by a slimy badly brought-up carphound Rob. What on earth makes you think I'm an anarchist? Politics is one thing, wardrobe is another.

TCHAH! I said. I meant it.
 My hat.... - R.P.
That made me laugh !
 My hat.... - Runfer D'Hills
Spray it with Scotchgard ( or whatever the Chiliean equivalent product is )

Be fine. Stuff is for wearing, you might be dead next week. ( hope not of course but y'know, could happen and then where would you be? )
 My hat.... - Old Navy
Fabsil is another waterproofer.

grangers.co.uk/tents-equipment
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 4 May 15 at 21:45
 My hat.... - Zero
>> Spray it with Scotchgard ( or whatever the Chiliean equivalent product is )

Armadillo pish I think.
 My hat.... - No FM2R
>Stuff is for wearing, you might be dead next week

I agree, but I suspect you missed this bit in my original note....

"it was also a present and I will be executed if I spoil it"

My hat.... - Old Navy
>> "it was also a present and I will be executed if I spoil it"
>>

Better stay awake if you get it wet then. :-)
>> Spray it with Scotchgard

Scottishgard surely, isn't it Humph?

Damn. Think I'll just take a smidgeon of Scotch as a nightcap, since you've mentioned it.

This site is murder on the liver, knowImean?
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Tue 5 May 15 at 00:57
 My hat.... - Mapmaker
Allow it exactly as much rain as you would a good wool suit.

None.
 My hat.... - Zero
Great, a hat you can't wear when you need it.

Just super.
 My hat.... - CGNorwich
Hats are made of felt not fabric. Felt is made by soaking wool in extremely hot water so unless you have boiled your suit the effect of rain will be radically different.

My hat.... - Mapmaker
>>Felt is made by soaking wool in extremely hot water so unless you have boiled your suit the
>>effect of rain will be radically different.

Never the same again; either of them.
 My hat.... - CGNorwich
Not actually so. A decent felt hat will stand up to rain and as for never being the same again a felt hat can be re-blocked to look like new although hatters who can provide this service are now few and far between.
 My hat.... - Mapmaker
OK. How about 'never the same again unless you go to great lengths and some expense'?
 My hat.... - CGNorwich
morel like, "In normal use a good quality wool felt hat will last for years and will be unaffected by the occasional shower especially if it has been treated with a water repellant. The very best quality hats are fur felt which will last a lifetime if looked after. Felts hats can be re-blocked to restore or change their shape"

That should do it
 My hat.... - legacylad
Have you tried Renovo ? Stops mould and the water beads before running off my canvas car roof. Still immaculate eleven years on.
 My hat.... - Clk Sec
Green thumb for the gent from Norwich, for his ability to always have the last word in such a polite way.
Latest Forum Posts