Non-motoring > Lovely BH weather Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 56

Lovely BH weather - legacylad
Lashed down all day here in upper Ribblesdale. Windy too. Still selling plenty of logs where I work!
Two days off now so away at crack of dawn to pick up some Lake District friends then two days walking in the Lowlands, staying at Innerleithen tomorrow night. Full winter kit...boots, ski goggles, balaclava, best waterproofs. The plan is to ascend as many Donalds as possible ( hills over 2,000') but weather dependent. Lousy forecast tomorrow.
 Lovely BH weather - Runfer D'Hills
If the weather becomes too trying, The Green Tree ( aka The Twig ) in Peebles used to be a friendly place with well kept beer.
 Lovely BH weather - Duncan
>> If the weather becomes too trying, The Green Tree ( aka The Twig ) in
>> Peebles used to be a friendly place with well kept beer.

Or the Cross Keys:-

tinyurl.com/ogand7h
Last edited by: Duncan on Sun 3 May 15 at 07:36
 Lovely BH weather - Old Navy
Cold wind here, we have provided our Australian guests with appropriate outdoor clothing. We think it is cold, they think it is freezing. It was a cool Autumnal 28C when they left home last week.
 Lovely BH weather - Alastairw
Some of us have just switched to the summer duvet. Might have to dig a blanket out tonight - chittering!
Thanks for that info Runfer. My turn to drive, four up, so a bit of a squeeze. I'm paranoid about drinking and driving, so will be supping pots of tea. Hope to find a pub within walking distance of our B&B in Innerleithen. If the weather is really foul on Sunday it will have to be a low level walk.
It's at times like this when I could do with a swift, sure footed estate......
 Lovely BH weather - Duncan
>> Thanks for that info Runfer. My turn to drive, four up, so a bit of
>> a squeeze. I'm paranoid about drinking and driving, so will be supping pots of tea.

On the way home from the Rugby yesterday, I popped into the *dm*r*l N*ls*n in Whitton for a pint of Old Dust Layer. I bought two pints of Fullers London Pride - cost £7.18. The man next to me at the bar bought a pint of Pride and a sparkling water for the missus - cost £7.50. 'That can't be right' he said, 'water can't be dearer than beer'?

It was, the glass of water was £3.90. Crazy or what?
 Lovely BH weather - Manatee
The man next to me at the bar bought a pint
>> of Pride and a sparkling water for the missus - cost £7.50. 'That can't be
>> right' he said, 'water can't be dearer than beer'?
>>
>> It was, the glass of water was £3.90. Crazy or what?

I bet they put lumps of tap water in it, unbidden, as well. If I have time to waste* I sometimes ask them if the ice is made of Perrier or whatever. Usual response is incomprehension.

*I never buy it for myself, waste of brass, but I'm not rude enough to refuse to buy it for somebody else. Same with London Pride actually - can't abide Fuller's, it gives me headache.
Good mountain biking at Glentress. I'd imagine they'd hire out bikes. If that appeals. May not be your thing of course.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sun 3 May 15 at 10:13
 Lovely BH weather - Dog
Reigned all day yesterday in Sunni Cornwall. Bit better so far this morning, I thought I saw some sunshine a moment ago, but I could be wrong.

Up to 35° yesterday in Triumph Toledo. 25° in Malaga. ditto in Paphos. WTF am I doin 'ere!
 Lovely BH weather - Old Navy
>> Reigned all day yesterday in Sunni Cornwall.
>>

Thanks a bunch for sending it up here, it arrived overnight, at least you warmed it up a bit. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 3 May 15 at 08:20
 Lovely BH weather - Dog
>>Thanks a bunch for sending it up here, at least you warmed it up a bit. :-)

I've just seen the forecast for the rest of the day here :-(

I see you've got some snow to the north of you today O/N. What a p/hole climate we have in this country.
May 3rd already. Nights start drawing in next month. It'll soon be Christmas.

And you wonder why they call me a doom-and-gloom merchant.

(*_~)
 Lovely BH weather - Bromptonaut
Hammered down all night here at Blackshaw Moor (Leek). Miss B facetweeted a opicture from Devonport suggesting it was at least as wet there

Better now in Staffs but still drizzling. Much warmer though, around 14- as low as 6 degrees C yesterday.

Off to Styal mill to make use of the NT membership.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 3 May 15 at 09:39
 Lovely BH weather - MD
Barnstaple = Mizzle
 Lovely BH weather - Mike Hannon
Bank holiday was Friday here. It lashed down all day, and yesterday. Windy too. Finished off my lovely irises, which have been the best ever this year. It seems a long time til next April.
Pithing down here. Was going to leave the front grass until today, but fortunately looked at the weather at about 6.30, so got the mower back out and the boss did it while I assembled the tea! (Old El Paso fajitas, within scope of my cooking skills, I won't be going on Masterchef).
 Lovely BH weather - Mike Hannon
>>Same with London Pride actually - can't abide Fuller's, it gives me headache.<<

My resident Londoner tells me they used to call Fuller, Smith & Turner 'full 'o s*** & turnips'.

I like it, me...
 Lovely BH weather - MD
I an sure that London Pride isn't brewed at Chiswick anymore. It's a completely different taste these days. Does anyone know for sure? Zeddo?
 Lovely BH weather - CGNorwich
Nothing tastes the same as you get older. It is still brewed in Chiswick as it always was.
I'm not very good with beer. I like it well enough but I get the most awful hangovers on quite moderate quantities. In terms of taste, I guess I prefer beer to lager but beer seems to give me the worst after effects.

It used to be rumoured anyway, that the the darker the beer the worse the hangover if you're susceptible to them? Something to do with congeners or somesuch?

For a less than lightweight drinker like me who wants to enjoy a beer or two without suffering afterwards, is there any brand or even general type ( excluding that alcohol free rubbish that is ! ) the panel would recommend?

Strangely I can drink quite unreasonably large amounts of whisky without the same downside.
 Lovely BH weather - Dog
>> is there any brand or even general type ( excluding that alcohol free rubbish that is ! ) the panel would recommend?

Warsteiner is a nice amber nectar, brewed in The Fatherland too, so fewer (or no) congeners.
 Lovely BH weather - Zero

>> For a less than lightweight drinker like me who wants to enjoy a beer or
>> two without suffering afterwards, is there any brand or even general type ( excluding that
>> alcohol free rubbish that is ! ) the panel would recommend?

Becks. Its pretty pure and clean, and not overly alcoholic. A bottle of two of that should be well within your zone.
 Lovely BH weather - MD
Perhaps the water source has altered. I am not usually wrong where Ale is the subject and I am convinced that where London Pride is concerned that an alteration (of the water source) has taken place. 42 years of imbibing Ale has given me a bit of an idea. Visited a Local Beer festival yesterday in a small village where ESSEX has taken over with their Tracksuits and caps (really), but thankfully as it was Beer on offer and not yellow-iss they stayed at home probably watching TV with their fake tanned wrinkled spouses. Elastic waited Trarsers indeed.
 Lovely BH weather - Zero
>> Perhaps the water source has altered. I am not usually wrong where Ale is the
>> subject and I am convinced that where London Pride is concerned that an alteration (of
>> the water source) has taken place.

The Chiswick brewery used to take water from its own bored wells, but has used piped mains water for a considerable number of years. The water is "burtonised" so that process may well have altered.
 Lovely BH weather - bathtub tom
>>The Chiswick brewery used to take water from its own bored wells

Our local brewery takes its water just downhill from the cemetery, has done for for over a hundred years. Gives the ale some 'body'.
 Lovely BH weather - Ted
>
>> Our local brewery takes its water just downhill from the cemetery,

What do you call a man who keeps leaving raincoats in the cemetery ?

Max Bygraves....geddit ?
 Lovely BH weather - Zero
>> I an sure that London Pride isn't brewed at Chiswick anymore. It's a completely different
>> taste these days. Does anyone know for sure? Zeddo?

Still brewed in Chsiwick.
 Lovely BH weather - henry k
>> Still brewed in Chsiwick.
>>
www.fullers.co.uk/content-library/articles/brewery/see-inside-tours
>>
I also like a bit of Redhead from Twickenham.( London’s oldest micro-brewery)
twickenham-fine-ales.co.uk/regulars/

twickenham-fine-ales.co.uk/

Next best to a Twickenham ticket ?

Rugby on the Big Screen
We’re installing a big screen and projector, so now you can watch the games in the brewery with the freshest of beer and hot food. We’ll be screening on days when there is an England home game and showing both the games on that day, so bring your mates and come and get a full days rugby with us.

( I have no connection with the company )

Lovely BH weather - Armel Coussine
That Fullers brewery used to be just across the A4 from where I lived, many years ago now.

A cousin here has a little brewery in one of the sheds. Makes pretty good stuff these days, marmaladey bitter not unlike Young's ordinaire...
It's hardly rained for a lengthy period over the past month, lots of sunshine in April, albeit cool night and a mainly northern wind. Spring has been wonderful in the garden with blossom and spring bulbs at their best for years.

Winter was completely snow free here and very few hard frosts. We are now getting a decent drop of rain and everyone's moaning because it's a Bank Holiday even though most on here don't work so it's mostly an irrelevance.

We do love to complain. :-)
 Lovely BH weather - Dog
"The Rain it Raineth Every Day"

www.penleehouse.org.uk/artists/norman-garstin.html

"The rain it raineth every day
Upon the just and unjust fella
But more upon the just because
The unjust hath the just's umbrella.
 Lovely BH weather - Roger.
T'garden needs t'rain, by 'eck!
Aqui en Nottinghamsire, hoy, hacemos muchas lluvias
 Lovely BH weather - madf
Morning's 2.5 mile walk was in full waterproofs. Only trouser bottoms were wet. Sunny now...Not many dog walkers around at 8am...
 Lovely BH weather - helicopter
Went up to Lunnun yesterday with SWMBO and met up with helicopter jr in the Weatherspoons Moon under water in Leicester Square . I had two pints of London Pride £3.75.

Weather was cool but the rain held off until we got home at about 10.30.

Lots of news helicopters over the centre of town no doubt covering the royal birth.

We went to the theatre to see the 'Play that goes wrong' and I can heartily recommend it for a good laugh especially if you have ever been involved in amateur dramatics.Very cleverly written and some great visual gags,sets collapsing etc, just old fashioned slapstick in many ways but it works.

Rest of the weekend to be spent in front of the snooker...probably asleep.
>> Aqui en Nottinghamsire, hoy, hacemos muchas lluvias

Y aquí en Sussex Occidental Rastaman...
 Lovely BH weather - Dog
"He that has and a little tiny wit--
With hey, ho, the wind and the rain,--
Must make content with his fortunes fit,
For the rain it raineth every day".
 Lovely BH weather - Ted

We went to a neighbour's 70th party at the golf club yesterday evening. Nice do but a bit noisy for us. Her son is in a band so he was playing a lot. I had a glass of Prosecco followed by 4 and a half pints of Taylor's Directors Bitter which was really well kept. The half pint was sipped to me by some lightweight who couldn't manage any more. SWM had her usual white wine spritzers. Good grub as well.

Sun was out today and the wind had died down. I want to blow up the caravan awning to see how my new pumping system manages but the back garden was still too wet after the overnight rain.

Going to next door but one at 3pm for drinkypoos but I'll be back for 4pm to watch City playing Spurs dahn sarf.
 Lovely BH weather - Zero
Its very sunny and very hot here. SO much so I just went dog dipping
It was here until 10 minutes ago. Now cars are going past with their headlights on!
 Lovely BH weather - Dog
Still pis holey here, just as well I kept my Vredestein Wintrac Xtremes on.

:o}
Damp today, but very warm.
 Lovely BH weather - madf
Warm enough to inspect hives this pm. Bees very good tempered after being nasty little s***s last week.. 28 stings to date..

Car covered in boo poo after washed on Friday:-(
You should get your car converted to run on BP madf.
 Lovely BH weather - Bromptonaut
Pretty much everything except snow today. Nice and sunny by time we got to Styal. Unfortunately it started to rain while we were looking at the mill race etc. Turned into a mahoosive hailstorm including several claps of thunder. Half an our later you'd never have known.

Back at campsite sun was nicely dappling the Roaches but it looked 'black over Bill's mother's' and we were no sooner in the van then heaven's opened. There'll be a nice rainbow soon.....
 Lovely BH weather - Zero
>> Its very sunny and very hot here. SO much so I just went dog dipping

and here is said dog dipping

www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9WZoT2WjYU

Tom Dailey she aint, but keen? oh yes.
Not a dog person but that's a good one!

Does the duckweed not get among the fur?
 Lovely BH weather - Zero
>> Not a dog person but that's a good one!
>>
>> Does the duckweed not get among the fur?

you'd think it would, but no - when dry not a bit of weed to be found
 Lovely BH weather - Ted

You could have had the pool cleaners in before you tried to drown the poor mutt !
>> keen? oh yes.

Charming animal that pooch of yours Zero. An honour to have been allowed to pat her head.
 Lovely BH weather - sooty123
Lovely and warm here, bit grim this morning first thing. Still quite warm now, got some gardening done as well. Even saw someone in shorts.
 Lovely BH weather - MD
Truly stunning that Pooch Zero. Thinking back several years ago when the Pond weed matter was raised in Dog and Shooting circles I thought that there may be a problem (possibly with inhalation of spores!?). Clearly she doesn't suffer any. Seeing her lift herself from the pond like she's been launched from a tube is wonderful. I have a 7 yo Lab', lean, fit ('bit like myself) that can do that right now, but one more season on the Devon hills will, I suspect see a change.

A good Dog, of which most are (The owners are often crap) should live with us forever. Yours is special believe me.

M.D.
 Lovely BH weather - Zero
>> Truly stunning that Pooch Zero.

She truly is one of the fittest dogs I have ever seen. 23 kilos and its all muscle. We are down for out first open trial in August.

>> Thinking back several years ago when the Pond weed matter
>> was raised in Dog and Shooting circles I thought that there may be a problem
>> (possibly with inhalation of spores!?).

The blue green algae is the one to worry about, the canal there is free its just common or garden duckweed.

Lovely BH weather - MD
Keep us posted on your successes or failures of which I hope there are few (failures). She is possibly a once in a lifetime dog.

Love your (one's) Dog, for it sure as hell loves you.
 Lovely BH weather - Clk Sec
>>>> Truly stunning that Pooch Zero.

Indeed it is. I watched that three times.
 Lovely BH weather - sooty123
Another lovely day here. Very bright and warm morning, no complaints so far about the BH weather.
Recently arrived home from two days hillwalking in the Lowlands. Simply glorious today. Wonderful drive South this evening, polar opposite of yesterday mornings drive North. I had forgotten had beautiful Scotland can be.
Latest Forum Posts