Non-motoring > Singers not looking like what you expect... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: rtj70 Replies: 56

Singers not looking like what you expect... - rtj70
I've been listening to George Ezra recently - sort of grown on me after hearing it on the radio. I had an image in mind how what he might look like (I think). But I was surprised in the end. Sounds older than he is for sure!

If you've not listened to him here's a snippet on Amazon:

www.amazon.co.uk/Blame-It-on-Me/dp/B00JK4O3BY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1430499045&sr=8-3&keywords=george+ezra+mp3

www.georgeezra.com
 Singers not looking like what you expect... - Robin O'Reliant
You're not kidding. When I first heard this I thought he was a middle aged black man, fantastic voice and a great song.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubztYMkI3fY
 Singers not looking like what you expect... - Armel Coussine
>> a middle aged black man, fantastic voice and a great song.

Oh come on, you have to be joking RO'R.

Very boring white-boy non-rock, very boring looking geezer too. Who listens to this stuff? Little girls perhaps?

Perhaps it would be more polite to say 'Not my sort of thing'. But it was such utter crap to my ear that I was rude. Sorry, but only up to a point.
Tried to add, none of the middle-aged black men I have met sounded as adolescent and utterly white as that geezer.
 Singers not looking like what you expect... - Crankcase
I imagine, then, AC, you wouldn't have approved of my musical choice when I was in the car earlier today. A little louder than usual, in the middle of town, on my own.

Meghan Trainor, Title. There, I've said it. And if you haven't seen the YouTube video, well, you've missed out.

Oh, I can hear the roaring with fury already.

Actually, I argue she is the direct natural descendant of the French yÄ—-yÄ— girls of the sixties, but whatever.

I listened to it Crankers.

She's trying, she looks winsome, sounds sweet. Nothing against the girl.

But she JUST DOESN'T GODDAM SWING FA CRISSAKES!
 Singers not looking like what you expect... - sooty123

>> Perhaps it would be more polite to say 'Not my sort of thing'. But it
>> was such utter crap to my ear that I was rude. Sorry, but only up
>> to a point.
>>

Well I thought it was pleasant enough, not brillant but listenable in a radio on in the car sort of way. He didn't sound like I imagined him either.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 2 May 15 at 17:51
>> pleasant enough, not brillant but listenable

That's about the size of it. I'd be looking for another channel pronto.
>> >>
>> That's about the size of it. I'd be looking for another channel pronto.
>>
It's yer age, AC, Yer age.

You're past it, man.
>> You're past it, man.

Thank God for that. They had proper music in my young day.
 Singers not looking like what you expect... - sooty123
>> That's about the size of it. I'd be looking for another channel pronto.
>>

nah much worse than that on the radio, it's fine music without paying too much attention to it. Much worse than that on the radio.
>> Much worse than that on the radio.

Yes. You can say that again.
 Singers not looking like what you expect... - Zero
>> When I first heard this I thought he was a middle aged
>> black man,

Are you mad?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWUAKq-reLQ

Now thats! what a middle aged male black singer sounds like.

or the incomparable Levi Stubbs

www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyKl5HKbPQs

Singers not looking like what you expect... - legacylad
Very droll Zeddo... I get the loco connection with the Four Tops. I suppose you like Little Eva as well?
you want train songs? they don't get better than these three

Glen Miller with Tex Beneke and The Modernaires
www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2aj0zhXlLA

Doobie Brothers (natch - had to be)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4tJSn0QtME

And a fantastic bit of bluesy C&W
Otis Gibbs

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sghcb7YfJGQ
Oh Sorry

Forgot
ELO
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jrl-uXy66no

and Supertramp
www.youtube.com/watch?v=0txZ511RXO0
 Singers not looking like what you expect... - Ted

You want railway songs Z ? Try Don Bilston. Ex LMS steam driver and writer of railway folk songs.

I have his LP ' Farewell to Steam '. Can't find any on the Tube.
Perhaps I ought to try and download the CD wot I burned off of the LP.
>>
>> You want railway songs Z ? Try Don Bilston. Ex LMS steam driver and writer
>> of railway folk songs.
>>
>> I have his LP ' Farewell to Steam '. Can't find any on the Tube.
>> Perhaps I ought to try and download the CD wot I burned off of the
>> LP.

Funnily enough T, I don't like most train songs, they are all a bit trite, that Otis Gibbs one is just so raw.
 Singers not looking like what you expect... - MD
I too think that George Ezra' voice is amazing. Whoever said he thought he was listening to a middle aged black man was...............well.........oh so right. I stared in utter disbelief when I saw him for real.

And as for that Megan trainor girl her voice is fantastic.
>> Whoever said he thought he was listening to a middle aged black man was...............well.........oh so right.

No he wasn't. You guys must be even deafer than I am. Unless the little speakers in my computer have misled me, he sounds like a white adolescent.
Ben E. King, whose obituary appeared in today's comic - he was exactly a month younger than me - did sound like a middle-aged black man. Of course he was one, which may explain it.

You guys are deaf.
...and you're wrong Ludders 0:)
No. Listen to a Ben E. King track and compare it with anything by this Ezra fellow. You guys are deaf. Or I am.

Not that it matters.
 Singers not looking like what you expect... - swiss tony
>> No. Listen to a Ben E. King track and compare it with anything by this
>> Ezra fellow. You guys are deaf. Or I am.
>>
>> Not that it matters.
>>

Pardon?
>> Pardon?

Heh heh... say what?
 Singers not looking like what you expect... - swiss tony
>> >> Pardon?
>>
>> Heh heh... say what?
>>

Quarter past four..
 Singers not looking like what you expect... - Dave_
Dragging us back towards the topic, I saw George Ezra perform in December. Very plain and unremarkable IMO.

For my sins, I'm off to the Capital FM Summertime thingy at Wembley Stadium soon. Over a dozen half-hour sets including Miss Trainor and the remaining four fifths of 1D this year. Last year's was very good if you enjoy that sort of thing, as two of my children do.
>> I saw George Ezra perform in December. Very plain and unremarkable IMO.

Someone agrees with me at least.

I too think the Trainor girl has a very nice voice. Doesn't swing though.
>> >> Someone agrees with me at least.
>>
>>
He's probably the same age as you.
>> He's probably the same age as you.

Age has nothing to do with it. It's a question of 'ear'.
 Singers not looking like what you expect... - Dog
Ear ear!
My 18-year-old granddaughter is here. She's a girl of strong opinions, but agrees with me on the colourlessness of the Ezra chap.
She's humouring you.
>> She's humouring you.

Girls of that age don't humour one about matters of life and death like bubblegum music RO'R.
>> agrees with me on the colourlessness of the Ezra chap.

She also said when asked that she thinks the Trainor girl is utter rubbish in every way. She couldn't even admit that she's winsome and has a nice voice.
>> >> >> Pardon?
>> >>
>> >> Heh heh... say what?
>> >>
>>
>> Quarter past four..
>>
Time for a swift one!
>> Time for a swift one!

Not for another half-hour at least MD. It's frustrating, but there it is...
Reminds me of a chap I knew in Tenerife. Tom & Mary, from S. Yorks. He was a millionaire. Made his money in plant hire (he was Irish) He used to start drinking at 5pm every single day, and usually sod orf to bed at 10pm. Nice couple they were, me and the missus had regular drinking sessions with them, and would cycle home afterwards on our bikes. Happy days!

I used to go fishing with him and he taught me how to use a Paternoster fishing rig.
>> a Paternoster fishing rig.

I remember those from when I were a nipper. You have to let the weight rest on the seabed and hold the line lightly so that you can feel it when they bite, then give a yank to sink the hook. Used to get red and grey mullet and the odd exotic thing you wouldn't want to eat. Caught one of those spherical jobs with sharp spikes all over it once. It squeaked pathetically when out of the water, and was the very devil to unhook and release.

Is it reasonable to feel sorry for fish? I used to anyway.
Tom used to put several treble hooks on his, um, tackle ... guaranteed to hook the blighters.

Plenty of mullet in the waters around the Canaries too.
>> Plenty of mullet in the waters around the Canaries too.

They seem to be distributed worldwide, Trincomalee to Fishguard...

Fishguard harbour had a lot of (cough) dogfish too, sort of small shark things. You can cut them up and use them for bait... I suppose they're edible but we never used to eat them.

It was all a long time ago.

I remember those triple hooks too. Lethal to a nipper's thumb they were...
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sun 3 May 15 at 17:54
How have we moved from musical guys'n'gals to dogfish?

Really suits me, this site. Barmy but not smarmy, knowImean?

Keep it up!
>>They seem to be distributed worldwide, Trincomalee to Fishguard...

I take it you've visited Trincomalee then, Sire. I often go on bread and water (more like tea & toast) during the Christmas period and send some money to the needy. There was an appeal in the comic a few years ago so my hard earnts went to said Tamil area of Sri Lanka.

I had some Tamil customers in Peckham sowf lunden many moons ago when I was in the tuning game.

Funny ole life, as my friend Lauri used to say.
>> send some money to the needy. There was an appeal in the comic a few years ago so my hard earnts went to said Tamil area of Sri Lanka.

In colonial and early post-colonial times Trincomalee wasn't all ethnically Tamil Perro, as far as I can remember through a child's reading of the situation. But there was ethnic friction even then and subsequently quite a lot of population movement, some of it nasty. Probably very different ethnic map now.

Tried to talk about it to the guys in the Tamil shop in the Grove, but they wouldn't. Can't say I blame them.

Apart from Sinhalese and Tamil populations, in my childhood there was a third, much smaller, indigenous element known as 'Vedas'. They hid in the jungle and were mysterious, but the true natives of the place. The others came from India really. Or such is my crude take on it.
>>Apart from Sinhalese and Tamil populations, in my childhood there was a third, much smaller, indigenous element known as 'Vedas'. They hid in the jungle and were mysterious, but the true natives of the place

My best subject at skool (when I was there) was history, followed by geography, which interests me mucho to this day.
I was 'reading up' on Trinco yesterday in en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trincomalee#Late_modern_and_contemporary which is very informative.
I see the Portuguese, the Dutch, French, Danish, Japanese, and of course the British, have all had a go at the place.

You obviously had a very adventurous childhood, compared to the one I had in Bermondsey and Camberwell :)
>> You obviously had a very adventurous childhood,

An interesting and varied one thanks to my parents, but I was just a helpless passenger.

Privilege takes many forms. I'd rather be me, rude, thuggish and arrogant, than a courteous and restrained aristo rich from birth for example. My head is well-stuffed with varied information and experience, but deplorably undisciplined.
>>. I'd rather be me, rude, thuggish and arrogant, than a courteous and restrained aristo rich from birth for example. My head is well-stuffed with varied information and experience, but deplorably undisciplined.

Actually, you sound just like me! as the missus would be only too willing to verify.

:o}
 Singers not looking like what you expect... - CGNorwich
Wouldn't eat them though. They are bottom feeders and the ones you see in harbours round the Med and the Canaries have been eating god knows what.

Caught in the open sea they are OK. Sometimes passed off as Sea Bass in restaurants
>> Wouldn't eat them though. They are bottom feeders

Mullet CGN, or dogfish?

Someone told me yesterday they had had some delicious fox paté.

If you worry about what your meat has been eating you may find yourself becoming a vegetable*.

*Is this right? Near enough I feel.

I was talking mullet.

Is there any connection between the fish and the hairstyle do you think?

>> I was talking mullet.
>>
>>
>> Is there any connection between the fish and the hairstyle do you think?
>>

Dunno, I'll have to mullet over, but it does sound a bit fishy.
The most famous mullet was of course Mullet Kintyre....
>> Wouldn't eat them though. They are bottom feeders and the ones you see in harbours
>> round the Med and the Canaries have been eating god knows what.
>>
>> Caught in the open sea they are OK. Sometimes passed off as Sea Bass in
>> restaurants
>>
Dog fish will feed around sewer outlets for sure. Not much different than eating at KFC or mac Burger sheei.

There is no way they could be passed off as Bass. I have eaten the finest line caught Bass from the North Devon coast and I have eaten Dogfish aplenty. Don't talk Carp 0:-)
Like I said I was talking about mullet specifically Grey mullet which are indeed often passed off as Sea Bass in Mediterranean tourist restaurants. Always ask to see the fish before it is cooked.

Dog fish is a generic name given to a number of different species of small shark and used to be sold as Huss or Rock Salmon. Easily identified by its lack of bone - it has soft cartilage.

Fish names are confusing. I see Waitrose are now identifying their fish with the Latin scientific names as well as the common name.

Bass is indeed a tasty fish but the wild variety is becoming increasingly scarce due to overfishing.
A decent Line caught Bass is a wonderful fish to eat. At a shoot dinner many years ago there was a platter with a huge Salmon laid out (not farmed!) and a similar sized Bass. Served cold the Bass provided a much better experience. It's great to live in the country. Tally Ho!
"Is it reasonable to feel sorry for fish?"

They feel sorry for themselves. Mine was gutted when he got caught.
>> >> "Is it reasonable to feel sorry for fish?"

>> They feel sorry for themselves. Mine was gutted when he got caught.

Tee hee...

Nothing wrong with mullet, 'bottom feeders' or not. They tasted fine and never did anyone any harm. All fish eat any old crap as any fule kno.

Whadya think fish fingers are made of?
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sun 3 May 15 at 23:46
Latest Forum Posts