Non-motoring > Jury Summons received for ex-partner Legal Questions
Thread Author: Dave_ Replies: 20

Jury Summons received for ex-partner - Dave_
A brown envelope arrived this morning, addressed to my ex-girlfriend, with a return address of "Her Majesty's Courts Service". As she had previously caused me some quite serious money troubles, I opened it to find out if it was more of the same. It turned out to be a jury summons for her, randomly selected from the electoral register. She has not lived here for over 12 months, has moved to a different county and is not on this year's electoral roll - I received a polling card for only myself in May. I am in touch with her as I have contact with our son twice a month. Do I:

a) Forward it on to her (in the certain knowledge that she will do nothing with it);
b) Send it to the HMCS return address with a covering letter stating she has moved out;
c) Send it to the HMCS return address with a covering letter giving her new address; or
d) File it under "B"?
 Jury Summons received for ex-partner - Bellboy
i would deffo file it under b
 Jury Summons received for ex-partner - Badwolf
As, technically, you have committed an offence by opening the letter I'd just forward it on to her. Whatever she does with the letter and the summons therein once she has received it is her problem, not yours.

It might be worth writing to the HMCS, pointing out that your ex-girlfriend no longer lives at your address but without mentioning that you have opened the letter.

Hope you get this sorted.
as i said b
i no nuffink
 Jury Summons received for ex-partner - FotheringtonTomas
Forward the letter to her.

Tell HMCS that you have done so, and to what address.

You ought to sort it out properly in case there's further action by HMCS.

You should wonder why she's still listed at your address, and who else might want to contact her.
>> You should wonder why she's still listed at your address

I can only assume HMCS must be working off an old list, as I crossed off her name on last October's ER form and it certainly isn't on the register here now. I still get letters from half-a-dozen "recovery" companies for her, I've tried all 4 of the options from my post above for those and still they come. Not had any heavies knocking at the door yet though.

>> You ought to sort it out properly in case there's further action by HMCS

If it had been for anyone else (and I still get mailshots for random previous tenants, even though I've been here over 3 years) I wouldn't have opened it but just binned it. I only opened it in case it was another CCJ. I'm sure the Courts Service must "lose" a percentage of all the summonses sent out.
Last edited by: Dave_TD {P} on Mon 12 Jul 10 at 11:48
 Jury Summons received for ex-partner - Bromptonaut
I think the send it back and explain version is best, certainly you should not bi it & hope. There should be a contact number for the jury summoning office, why not just give them a call?

HMCS staff (who are human!!) should be used to this sort of scenario, you can always say you opened it 'inadvertently' rather than explaining exactly what's gone on. I
 Jury Summons received for ex-partner - Zero
bin it, its nothing to do with you.
 Jury Summons received for ex-partner - Iffy
...I think the send it back and explain version is best...

So do I.

Does it say to which crown court she has been summonsed?

If so, you could ring the office and ask to speak to the jury officer.

These days, the selection process is done centrally, but he/she will have the details so they know who to expect each day.

I'm sure the jury officer will be happy enough to sort it out for you.
I have followed FT's advice.

>> Forward the letter to her.
>> Tell HMCS that you have done so, and to what address.
>> You ought to sort it out properly in case there's further action by HMCS
you should have gone for b
cause her some grief
keep jobs for the boys in central govt
everyones a winner and you dont get done for messing with her majesty
:-)
 Jury Summons received for ex-partner - mikeyb
Dave - I think you did the right thing. Whatever grief she has caused you she is still the mother of your Son, and as such any negative impact on her (by just binning the letter) may well have repercussions for him - big or small
If she's moved and remains in the same court's catchment she should still serve. She might also get her service transferred to another court.

Where Juror's fail to show they may, at the judge's discretion, be summoned to 'show cause,.
 Jury Summons received for ex-partner - spamcan61
Unless the letter was sent recorded delivery and signed for, how could there be repercussions? No proof it was received. option b for bin.
I don't know about jury summons but a County Court summons is deemed to have been properly served if posted by the court.

I think, for a claim of non-receipt to have repercussions extending beyond a chat with the jury officer or judge and a later appointment for service, there would have to be evidence of a real attempt to deceive.
I've had a personal e-mail back from HMCS noting my assistance and thanking me for it. I put the paperwork in the post this afternoon, so I suspect I'll get a text or several in the morning.

Bromptonaut: Different city, different court catchment area too - 30 miles apart - looking at the paperwork I would think she'll still be liable to serve but they should allow her to do so at her closest Crown Court. If she tries to wriggle out of it on childcare grounds (her new partner works full-time; she appears to spend all day online with little man parked in front of CBeebies) I will gladly offer to have him stay with me for the duration.
 Jury Summons received for ex-partner - FotheringtonTomas
>> I've had a personal e-mail back from HMCS noting my assistance and thanking me

I think that's a good thing - you've saved a waste of some people's time at least.

>> I would think she'll still be liable to serve but they should allow
>> her to do so at her closest Crown Court.

It's one of the few real "official" duties that people have. Jury Service can be interesting, too.

>> (childcare) I will gladly offer to have him stay with me for the duration.

Good man. Some CBeebies is OK, but not wall-to-wall. There are other (uncomplicated) fun things to do.
 Jury Summons received for ex-partner - movilogo
Write "RECIPIENT NO LONGER AT THIS ADDRESS" on top of envelop and put it thru your nearest letter box.

You don't need any stamp.
 Jury Summons received for ex-partner - IJWS14
What I do with any mail for previous occupants (moved six years ago), stops the mail coming,

Filing under "B" doesn't stop it coming.

Done this ever since the bailiffs turned up at our last house lookig to seize property belonging to the previous occupant.
 Jury Summons received for ex-partner - Iffy
When I moved in to the current Ifithelps Towers I was getting a fair bit of post for other people.

I scrawled 'Not known - pls return to sender' on the items and bunged them in a post box, as described above.

It took a few months, but eventually the letters stopped coming.

Jury Summons received for ex-partner - The Nut
'Not known at this address please return to sender' Works quite quickly for most things, took about 3 years of doing this to stop balifs letters for a previous occupant though, stopped when I opened a hand delivered letter for her that had no return address on the outside and phoned them to explain.

For the first eight years that we lived here a christmas card turned up for a man who wasn't the previous occupant, neighbours say he lived here 5 years before we moved in.
Latest Forum Posts