Non-motoring > Noise complaints Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Fursty Ferret Replies: 89

Noise complaints - Fursty Ferret
Has anyone successfully complained to the council's environmental health department about noise (particularly barking dogs?).

My neighbour chucks his two little yappy dogs into his garden in the evening and ignores them, and they stand and bark at anything under the sun. If I'm in my garden, they stand next to the fence and bark / growl every time there's a little bit of noise.

Tried mentioning it reasonably after I moved in (we actually bought about two months apart) and was basically told to eff off - apparently his dogs are "entitled" to make noise when they're outside.

It's driving me up the wall, particularly when they're thrown out at 6.30am too and discover that yapping outside the bedroom window is their favourite hobby.

You wouldn't think that noise would have such a profound effect - I certainly wouldn't have in the past - but it's REALLY getting to me now. And that's hard and slightly embarrassing to admit to. In some respects I'm lucky as I can escape it for four or five days a week, but equally that seems to make it worse to come home to.

Obviously councils have environmental health departments, but equally if it doesn't work it has to be declared on a home-seller's report and might make the house impossible to sell. So it's a catch 22 situation.

I'm increasingly beginning to suspect that this is the reason the previous owners were quick to accept an offer below market value and move. Not that I could ever prove that, of course.

Suggestions?
 Noise complaints - Zero
Firstly, what has happened in the past, hasn't happened. From this point onwards you need to make and keep a "nuisance dairy" with some timed and dated evidences (video, audio etc) - note you don't need evidences for all the diary entries. If there is an adjacent neighbour you can get them to evidence (sign) some entries on the diary.

Next you need to ask the dog owner to desist, and then document the response.

At the point you can call upon a sufficient amount of evidence, you can then go to the council with your diary. You need to be aware, your noise nuisance needs to be demonstrably anti social (i.e. keeping you awake at night all night)

From the moment you involve anyone else (i.e. proof you had a dispute with the neighbour) it needs to be declared on the home buyers report, and yes it will make selling your more difficult, but it will also make noisy neighbour selling his more difficult so you might end up stuck with each other.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 27 Apr 15 at 18:21
 Noise complaints - No FM2R
You are essentially screwed.

I'd be very wary of any official route; Not only is it unlikely to work and to generate bad feelings, it may well come up if and when you wish to sell - successful or not.

The ideal thing would be if the barking dogs bothered the neighbour as well. But it seems that they don't.

Whilst I have no helpful comment, I do have sympathy - that's exactly the sort of noise that would slowly drive me berserk.

Noise complaints - Lygonos
Ibuprofen in some burger meat.

Job jobbed.

edit: as earplugs obviously.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Mon 27 Apr 15 at 18:29
 Noise complaints - CGNorwich
Not sure what the answer is but I have a similar problem. Our neighbours own two dogs which yap constantly and often star howling. I actually get on well with the neighbours in other respects He's the sort of chap who will look after your garden when away and I occasionally have a meal out with them.

They used to only have one dog which belonged to the wife , whilst completely untrained it was quiet and never gave any bother. They then bought another dog , as sort of white fluffy thing which short legs that has never stopped yapping and set the other one off.

I've hinted to the guy that I hear their dogs a lot but I don't think they were his idea and the noise doesn't seem to bother him and he doesn't seem to pick up on my hints. The trouble is that once you star focussing on the noise it drives you mad especially at 6.00 a.m. The ironic thing is that at the back end of last year the little white yappy thing got out and I nearly hit it in the car. Still don't know why I braked.

You have my sympathy

Noise complaints - Lygonos
I think CGN hints at the answer - it's a bit like having tinnitus: you need to tune it out, or simply accept it is there, or it can become very distressing.

Noise complaints - Armel Coussine
>> Suggestions?

Serious complaint to council and police. If that fails, you could try reciprocal violence: kick the bejasus out of the dogs and if necessary the owner. If that doesn't work either - it's a tall order I admit - try meat laced with violent laxative, and if it comes to it, poison.

Seems hard on the poor dogs but they are the uncivilised neighbour's form of aggression.

Or move of course. How awful people are. If you know what's good for you, don't live next door to anyone.

Noise complaints - Zero
I detest little dogs, they are invariably irredeemably yappy
I know little about dogs. I can understand the pleasure in owning a well trained dog and the companionship it offers but what on earth is the pleasure in owning completely untrained animals that yap all day and destroy your house? It's beyond me.

Can dogs be trained not to yap and howl?
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Mon 27 Apr 15 at 19:05
 Noise complaints - Zero

>> Can dogs be trained not to yap and howl?

They can be taught not to yap and howl. (note the slight change of terminology, read into that what you will)

I need to train mine to bark on command as it happens as part of working trials.
Would it be possible to teach these two dogs not to yap and howl then? One is about five years old and the little yappy thing arrived on the scene about a year ago. Is there anything I could suggest to my neighbour that they might like to consider? They are decent people, they just seem to have a blind spot when it comes to their dogs and the irritation they cause.

If i could offer a solution rather than a complaint it would be good.
 Noise complaints - Zero

>> If i could offer a solution rather than a complaint it would be good.

They need to do it, and I doubt they can due to their blind spot, because it involves a regime with a period of no tolerance to barking at all.
 Noise complaints - Bromptonaut
>> They need to do it, and I doubt they can due to their blind spot,
>> because it involves a regime with a period of no tolerance to barking at all.

Genuine question:

How do you 'enforce' no tolerance with a dog?

Noise complaints - Zero
>> >> They need to do it, and I doubt they can due to their blind
>> spot,
>> >> because it involves a regime with a period of no tolerance to barking at
>> all.
>>
>> Genuine question:
>>
>> How do you 'enforce' no tolerance with a dog?

That is too general a question with numerous solutions depending on the dog and the relationship with the owner. Some of them may well be incapable.

Basically the dog is barking for a reason. Boredom, insufficient stimulus, learned behaviour, or it is getting some reward or attention when it does.

With a dog that has some training, then you get it to perform another incomplete task (go and sit on its rug with a ball in its mouth for example) but for a dog thats not trained its easy with a small yappy one to pick it up and put it in its crate. The zero tolerance angle is that this happens EVERY time time the dog barks when not wanted.

Edit - there is a method am not prepared to discuss on here.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 27 Apr 15 at 20:50
>>The zero tolerance angle is that this happens EVERY time time the dog barks when not wanted.

As you say, any inconsistency simply causes confusion.

What do you think about those collars that are supposed to give small shocks if a dog strays over a boundary?

They've always seemed a bit dubious/cruel to me, but a US friend solved a huge problem with his wandering retrievers where fences were not possible.
 Noise complaints - Fursty Ferret
My parents' dog had one of those collars. It got stuck outside the wire...
 Noise complaints - Zero

>> What do you think about those collars that are supposed to give small shocks

the shock collar is the one I am not prepared to discuss. I have seen them used, I have been involved in their use, and you have to be REALLy careful and clever how you use them, and they are not recommended for those who can not train a dog properly using other methods as well or you could end up with a hound with more problems than you cure.
>> I detest little dogs, they are invariably irredeemably yappy

But their owners don't seem to mind.

We went to dinner once with some old friends, respectable people and left-wing intellectuals. They allowed their Jack Russells, named Shaka and Zhukov after two military heroes of the romantic left, to sit at the head of the table barking steadily and very shrilly until we couldn't bear it any longer and complained. We like the friends but we didn't go to their house again until both the little brutes had been run over or dealt with by their neighbours.

'Love me, love my dog'... no goddam way, unless the dog is well-behaved. Unpleasant dogs do their owners' dirty work for them, a bit like puling infants with new mothers... 'You'd like to hold her while I pour the tea, wouldn't you Bishop? Oh look, she's thrown up on your shoulder... aah, the little lamb!'
allowed their Jack Russells ... to sit at the head of the table barking steadily and very shrilly until we couldn't bear it any longer and complained.

Herself has reminded me that when we complained he took them outside, so that the clamour was slightly muted. But she felt sorry for them and brought the little horrors back FFS. No, they hadn't learned their lesson.
 Noise complaints - bathtub tom
>>apparently his dogs are "entitled" to make noise when they're outside.

When I had the temerity to complain to my neighbour about his noisy, DIY building work continuing beyond 10:30pm (I had two kids of school age), they told me that as they worked full time,they could make as much noise as they liked as often as they liked.

I contacted my council, who wrote to them, laying out what was considered reasonable times for such work and what was not.

Worked a treat, but they haven't spoken to me since.
CAB advice on neighbour disputes in general, including noise.

www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/housing_e/housing_problems_where_you_live_e/neighbour_disputes.htm
 Noise complaints - Dog
13 years ago neighbour put hot tub near my gable wall.

Firkin thing used to fire up (probably a cleaning cycle?) in the early hours of the morning.

After telling him about the noise - he did move it further away, but I could still hear it.

Wife worked for a solicitor at the time. She asked his advice on the matter.

He said "As a solicitor I can write him a letter on your behalf. As a friend I advise you to move, and not get into conflict with neighbours".
 Noise complaints - sooty123
The only noise we get from dogs are when one of them barks at the bangers going off in the fields nearby. Apart from that we're all good dog noise wise. I bet having a yappy dog nearby is annoying.
 Noise complaints - Ted

The semi attached to Chez Ted is occupied by a couple in their 40s with 3 kids under 10. They thought the kids would like a dog and bought a rescue Sprollie. It barked all the time when in the garden. We didn't make a fuss as they are good friends but the problem was solved very quickly.

It bit the toddler....gone within an hour or so ( the dog)!

They don't have any carpets in the house and all the downstairs doors have been removed to make it open plan. You should hear the racket when the kids are running about. Sometimes we think they're running up and down our stairs. She's a childminder as well so most days have an hour or so of screaming kids in the garden. We've blotted it out but anyway, it's good to hear kids enjoying the trampoline and other toys.

Too many cats round here ! See if you can get some sodium, wrap a little chunk in a bit of meat and watch the little blighters explode. Someone was doing that with the seagulls at Blackpool many years ago using bread. Got fined IIRC.
 Noise complaints - Slidingpillar
See if you can get some sodium, wrap a little chunk in a bit of meat and watch the little blighters explode. Someone was doing that with the seagulls at Blackpool many years ago using bread. Got fined IIRC.

The seagull 'trick' was as you say, a bread wrapping, but not sodium, the more easily obtained and kept, calcium carbide. Gives birds very severe wind and can burst stomachs. I've a tin of carbide... But only used legitimately to operate old lamps. I've a few old lamps dotted about the house and I try to keep such things in working order.
 Noise complaints - Duncan
>> Has anyone successfully complained to the council's environmental health department about noise (particularly barking dogs?).
>>
>> My neighbour chucks his two little yappy dogs into his garden in the evening and
>> ignores them, and they stand and bark at anything under the sun. If I'm in
>> my garden, they stand next to the fence and bark / growl every time there's
>> a little bit of noise.
>> Suggestions?

Dazer dog deterrent.

tinyurl.com/mhjl8up

We've done all this before. haven't we?
 Noise complaints - Aretas
If the fence is yours, take it down and let the dogs out into the street.
 Noise complaints - Duncan
Missed edit.

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=17281&v=f
 Noise complaints - Zero

>> >> Suggestions?
>>
>> Dazer dog deterrent.
>>
>> tinyurl.com/mhjl8up
>>
>> We've done all this before. haven't we?

Not a second time because ultrasonics simply don't work 100% reliably, some dogs are impervious, and some devices are useless and you have no idea which of the two.
 Noise complaints - legacylad
A friend of mine has next door neighbours who have 7 cats. After 3 years of pooping in his garden, digging up plants & messing in his veg plot, he has had enough. Today he put barbed wire on the top of his fence. Within 30 mins the police were round.
This is all going to end in tears. I can lend him my dog as the garden is secure, but not permanently. And not sure that ripping one cat to bits will deter the others.
>> A friend of mine has next door neighbours who have 7 cats.

Had he tried discussing the issue?

We have several neighbours with half a dozen cats between them. One uses my open plan front flowerbed as its personal toilet. Pepper spray and ultrasound deter it temporarily but tempus fugit is about too finally catch up - it's finally got that stiff gait of cats not long for this world.

The others mostly avoid my garden after being treated to Mrs B's shouting and wet sponge as soon as they're spotted.
He has discussed it with 'cat woman' as he refers to her. But you cannot stop cats coming over the fence. Most deterents tried. Ultrasonic ( cost him lots of £££) slate chips srounpd the borders, chicken wire, high powered water pistol. All to no avail.
Damned southerners moving up North with their felines.
What was police response to the barbledy wire?
Yes. Police response to barbed wire
( it was a slow crime day)
No idea of the outcome. Yet.
 Noise complaints - Haywain
"What was police response to the barbledy wire?"

It would think that it would be OK if it were meant to deter cats, but not if it was an anti-burglar measure; we cannot risk injuring burglars.

We are currently looking after our sons cat while he's away working in Burma, India etc and the wretched creature has taken to sitting on the bird-box currently occupied by nesting blue-tits. The box has been duly draped in brambles and Pyrocantha cuttings; I am trying to obtain some Rosa rugosa.
 Noise complaints - Gromit
"The box has been duly draped in brambles and Pyrocantha cuttings; I am trying to obtain some Rosa rugosa."

There's your answer to stray cats, dogs, children and burglars alike - grow a hedge with the most vicious thorns you can find. A rambling rose, whitethorn or blackthorn will do nicely.

"Its not an intruder trap, Officer, its a decorative native hedge". And who can prove otherwise?!?
"grow a hedge with the most vicious thorns you can find."

Do remember though that you will have to trim it and somehow dispose of the trimmings! Pyrocanthus are particularly nasty as the tips of the thorns tend to break off in your flesh.
 Noise complaints - wokingham
Garden centres sell sharp thorny plants specifically designed to be planted under ground floor windows and keep burglars from getting close to them. cheap steak and ant-freeze or Paraguat have featured in pet dissuasion too.
"cheap steak and ant-freeze or Paraguat have featured in pet dissuasion too."

Paraquat, a lethal poison to humans well as animals and for which there is no antidote has been banned in the UK for the past six years. Ethyl Glycol (antifreeze) is again lethal to cats and dogs and attractive to them because of its sweet taste. The deliberate poisoning of animals is of course a crime likely to attract a heavy sentence if caught.
>> The deliberate poisoning of animals is of course a crime likely to attract a heavy sentence if caught.

More to the point, it's cruel to poison the animal when the miscreant is really the owner. Understandable, but unjust.
It's cruel to poison a higher animal in any circumstances. Can you be unjust to an animal? I'm not sure they opted into our legal system.
>> Can you be unjust to an animal? I'm not sure they opted into our legal system.

OK CGN you old pedant, call it 'unkind'.

'Man sued by goldfish citing "boring diet and inadequate exercise space" '. Could happen any day and attract millions of facebook supporters.
 Noise complaints - madf
We have problems with foxes in the garden. I ignore them most of the year and they duly dig holes in the lawn and crap under the buddleias.

BUT when it comes to new plants, cut holly twigs and pyracantha deter even the keenest of foxes.
(and they are free)

Fortunately the foxes tend to deter the cats... they eat them....
Last edited by: madf on Tue 28 Apr 15 at 11:07
www.amazon.com/Contech-CRO101-Scarecrow-Activated-Sprinkler/dp/B000071NUS
 Noise complaints - Zero
>> www.amazon.com/Contech-CRO101-Scarecrow-Activated-Sprinkler/dp/B000071NUS

1000sq feet? Good lord, nothing in my street would be safe from getting a soaking!
1000sq ft is only about 32ft x 32ft.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 27 Apr 15 at 23:04
>> www.amazon.com/Contech-CRO101-Scarecrow-Activated-Sprinkler/dp/B000071NUS

Like that a lot.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4feEceifGMU

[rubbish video though]
 Noise complaints - Crankcase
A spot of personal experience on the water scarecrows:

Had two of those in my time.

Yes they work - at least there was less evidence in the veg patch.

You do however find that instead of doing anything useful about the house you spend inordinate periods of time staring out of the window cackling in anticipation of a feline frightening that never happens when you are looking. After a while you think that cackling in front of windows is a mugs game best left until you are Zero's age.

Yes, you do forget about it and walk in front of it, to the great amusement of your wife. Ideally this is done when you are in your very best attire heading for a snooty party. The target will of course be the front of your trousers, followed by your back as you run screaming like a girl.

Yes, you do repeat that game again in the dark, resulting in tears of hysteria from other interested parties.

But they don't last long - both for me lasted about a summer before springing leaks that were irrepairable. Came home on two occasions to find water at full pressure filling the flowerbeds.

And you have to have a hosepipe trailing to them permanently.

In the end we ditched them.

Last edited by: Crankcase on Tue 28 Apr 15 at 09:39
 Noise complaints - Zero

>> cackling in front of windows is a mugs game best left until you are Zero's
>> age.

I do not cackle.

A chortle or guffaw maybe.

Noise complaints - Cliff Pope
There's no escape. The basic problem is that dog owners either love or don't mind the noise their dogs make, and don't care what anybody else thinks.
You can move to the country in complete isolation, but farm dogs barking all night a mile away are surprisingly noisy and irritating. It's just that in town you wouldn't notice because of traffic noise.

Dogs are supposed to be kept on the owner's property, but farmers follow different rules and they let them roam at will. You get to know the ones that like chasing cars and trying to throw themselves under your wheels.

But you are allowed as much barbed wire as you like. Indeed it is essential for keeping cows in their fields. Again, farmers are supposed to be responsible for fencing their own stock, but they don't care, and are happy for them to graze your garden too if you don't build suitable barricades and gates.

But the overriding rule is to think very carefully before ever falling out with a neighbour, especially a farmer.
 Noise complaints - Dog
>>You can move to the country in complete isolation, but farm dogs barking all night a mile away are surprisingly noisy and irritating. It's just that in town you wouldn't notice because of traffic noise.

Dogs are supposed to be kept on the owner's property, but farmers follow different rules and they let them roam at will. You get to know the ones that like chasing cars and trying to throw themselves under your wheels.

But you are allowed as much barbed wire as you like. Indeed it is essential for keeping cows in their fields. Again, farmers are supposed to be responsible for fencing their own stock, but they don't care, and are happy for them to graze your garden too if you don't build suitable barricades and gates<<

You are most likely referring to your own experiences of the area where you live. It certainly hasn't been my experience in Cornwall where I have owned 5 properties over 18 years.

If one must live next door to a dog-owning neighbour, try to ensure the dog is a Rhodesian Ridgeback because they only ever bark for the 'right' reasons.
 Noise complaints - helicopter
But the overriding rule is to think very carefully before ever falling out with a neighbour, especially a farmer........

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SO-RPx9IRc
 Noise complaints - devonite
I like Fish! - they are perfect, they just require you to keep the water right and they amuse themselves! However, (against my better judgement, if you can call it that) we "inherited" some "pets" from the old chap up the lane (sadly deceased since November) which comprised of 3 Muttleys: Kye 5yr old red-nosed pit/Irish Wolfhound. Pig, small Staffy bitch and Bert thier 8mth old pup, as well as 2cats (persian cross and Siamese cross).
Said Muttleys had never been on a lead, he just loosed them in his largish garden, which we haven't. so am having to try and train them, Pups ok, he's learning fast, the older ones pull your arms off, so i've had to buy anti-pull head collars for them as they treat the choke-chain like a "horse-collar" and really leant into it. Having brains the size of Walnuts it's going to be a looong job me fears!
However, I digress! - I just meant to say we have managed to impress upon these muttleys that they MUST NOT bark in the house suprisingly quickly! When they barked, I immediately shouted "quiet!, her indoors (being pack leader) also shouted, but followed it up with Grrr! and showed her teeth! - which even scared me! - I sometimes think she's Babs Woodhouse re-incarnated!
 Noise complaints - Fenlander
Sympathy for the irritation FF...we'd never want to be without a dog but we'd never want a dog that would annoy others. Our Spitz barks inside the house when there is a caller to the door but that's hardly audible to neighbours and it suits us that he does this.

However he never barks at noises when in the garden... and if left out but wanting to come in he just does one modest woof at the back door then looks through the cat flap's transparent door. If something stops us going to him immediately he might woof again after minute or so then wait again quietly.

When we moved here 3yrs ago there were no dog owners at all in our small close and we got the impression the people close to us were not keen... until they realised he's never heard.

Re complaining... like others have said I would avoid official complaints at all costs. It could cause selling problems as mentioned and it will elevate the stress between you and next door... could even cause an escalation above just the dog barking issue.
 Noise complaints - Cliff Pope

>> It certainly hasn't been my experience in Cornwall where I have owned 5 properties over
>> 18 years.
>>

Ah, but Cornwall was tamed probably 100 years ago. Wales is still wild.
The big problem currently exercising our local police is speeding tractors on market day.
They think the new 20 mph speed limit will curb the problem.
 Noise complaints - Dog
>>Wales is still wild.

I'm moving to Wales then! .. Cornwall has become to tame for me now compared to what it was just 18 years ago when we moved here.

Howls about the shire of Hereford? .. I've always had a fancy for living there.
>> Howls about the shire of Hereford? .. I've always had a fancy for living there.

Used to be very beautiful and unspoilt there Perro, run-down small farms with dry-stone walls round the fields and many tumbledown houses and barns going for a song. Stayed in one a couple of times, belonged to the managers/promoters of a big rock band whose name I am too shy to mention.

Great farmers' stores in Hereford and Abergavenny where I could get wood, glass and putty to reglaze some of the broken farmhouse windows in lieu of rent. Water came from a stream outside which we used to boil because of the sheep all over the place.
 Noise complaints - Dog
I bought Mike Oldfield's album, Hergest Ridge, when it first came out, but I never realised until years later that Hergest Ridge was an actual place:

I have a copy of Alfred Watkins "The Old Straight Track" first published in 1925. He was born in Herefordshire. In the book, Watkins attempts to explain the prehistoric system of ley lines, old tracks, mounds, beacons, folk lore etc. etc.

The phrase ley line was actually 'coined' by Watkins.
>> the managers/promoters of a big rock band whose name I am too shy to mention.

One of them was at Hoppy's funeral the other week. We hardly recognized each other having become old, hard and grim.
 Noise complaints - Dog
I'm looking old too these days and I'm only 62. My gf said my hair is white - cheek of it, said I. It's silver!!
 Noise complaints - Zero
>> I'm looking old too these days and I'm only 62. My gf said my hair
>> is white - cheek of it, said I. It's silver!!

Mine is "distinguished"
 Noise complaints - commerdriver
>> Mine is "distinguished"
>>
Mine is "disappearing"
 Noise complaints - Zero
>> >> Mine is "distinguished"
>> >>
>> Mine is "disappearing"

Mark has nothing to say.
>> >> Mine is "distinguished"
>>
>> Mark has nothing to say.

I have [had] very, very blond hair and used to have it long. Its now very short and its coverage is not all that one might hope for.

Getting old is a bummer.
 Noise complaints - Dog
>>Getting old is a bummer.

The alternative isn't a bundle of joy either.
 Noise complaints - Alanovich
>> >> >> Mine is "distinguished"
>> >>
>> >> Mark has nothing to say.
>>
>> I have [had] very, very blond hair and used to have it long. Its now
>> very short and its coverage is not all that one might hope for.

Still plenty of ginger atop this cranium. Would you swap baldness for that?
>>Still plenty of ginger atop this cranium. Would you swap baldness for that?

Could I keep my stunning good looks or would I have to except the pale appearance you have gained form hanging around in kebab shops?

I used to be bothered about baldness, these days I don't much care one way or the other.

Being ginger though, that's a big step.
 Noise complaints - Dog
>>Mine is "distinguished"

I'm with ^this gentleman.
I've still got some. Looks OK from in front, but there's a tonsure at the back. Can't see it though.
 Noise complaints - Fullchat
Cant you fly over their house FF, go into reheat and blow their tiles off? :)))

Dealing with noisy neighbours is very tricky as their will be some form of repercussion even if only the cessation of friendly comunication.

I live in village. You would expect it to be quiet. I am or have been surrounded by excessive noise.

The first lot was coming from a large shed that backs onto the fence some 20X away. It sounded like a washing machine full of marbles and then a compressor kicking in every so often. There was also the continuous sound of loud talking. At the time I worked rotational shifts which included nights so sleep was impossible without the windows shut tight which isn't good in summer. Curiosity got the better of me so a clandestine visit over the hedge and look through the window revealed a printing press.

Contacted the council who advised on keeping a log and installed sound monitoring equipment That prooved fruitless and the council couldn't/wouldn't do anything. I tried another tack and that was with Planning as they were running a commercial interest fro domestic premises. That sorted it. Neighbour hasn't spoken since. Not bothered.

Next their neighbour who also backs onto the same boundary has a bit of a paddock with chickens, geese and some goats. They let the geese out bang on 7 am with the resultant racket which soon died down. Then the cockerel arrived :( . 3am it would start. Contacted council again who send an initial letter to the culprit outlining the complaint. Next thing she's banging on our door asking if we made the complaint? Invited in and explained why we had. Her response was that it was a rural area and our dog barked anyway. I politely explained that we lived in a rural area which was also a residential area and that our dog didn't bark at 3am. Also mentioned the geese but we tolerated those. Well the cockerel went. A year later it was replaced by 2 of the blighters. This time a wrote a nice letter explaining that we enjoyed seeing the animals and hoped they enjoyed having them but sorry the cockerels were too much. They subsequently went and so did the geese. Deep joy!

Meanwhile back to the first residence. He has had a pigeon loft backed up to the boundary fence every since we moved in. There is a constant 'cooing' even during the night at times. You could say that it is a relaxing noise. Well it isn't it's a slow form of torture.

Lastly there is the adjacent property, they have 3 very young children including a new born. The lady of the house is a smoker and as sparks up there is a deep clearing of the throat. Sound awful especially when she's having a drag during the night when she's been up feeding the nipper.

And then! On a weekend when you are trying to have a bit of a lie in they let one of the kids ride one of those big plastic cars up and down the concrete path at 8 am.

Now we had a Retriever who would bark its head off at birds, the Postie and the like but we would deal with her pretty quickly. So it can be a question of being tolerant but there is a limit.

Overall it comes down to the noise maker being selfish and indifferent to their neighbours and often the noise doesn't actually impact on them.

Doesn't really help you FF but the Council will only get really involved in the big jobs. Someone posted above about the Police. They cant do anything and only signpost you to the Council. Unless of course you ring up to tell them you are at the end of your tether and are going round to shoot them. See how many turn up then. Not to be advised though :).

Just perhaps a carefully worded letter to them expelling how you value them as friends an neighbours blah blah, but then explaining how the noise is impacting on your life. You don't have that face to face confrontation them which usually goes wrong.

Last edited by: Fullchat on Tue 28 Apr 15 at 18:44
 Noise complaints - Zero
Not sure how to put this without you becoming offended, but to précis, you are living in a country village and are complaining about country animals, doves, children and people coughing?
 Noise complaints - madf
>> >> I'm looking old too these days and I'm only 62. My gf said my
>> hair
>> >> is white - cheek of it, said I. It's silver!!
>>
>> Mine is "distinguished"
>>

Mine is "monkish".
 Noise complaints - Fenlander
>>>Hereford area... beautiful and unspoilt there Perro, run-down small farms with dry-stone walls round the fields

Still a feeling of that these days AC. Mrs F's family been farming in that area for 100yrs+ and their place is still quite "Cold Comfort Farm".

BTW you mention your music associations... just sorting through some newly received old LPs in almost unplayed condition. One is the Foundations first LP from '67. The sleeve notes refer to them starting playing in a basement coffee bar below a record dealers office in Westbourne Grove. Made me wonder if you were tucked away in the corner there?
Last edited by: Fenlander on Tue 28 Apr 15 at 19:14
 Noise complaints - Ted

On a bike trip to the Meuse, we stayed in hotel in Givet for a week as we knew the owners. My mate and I had a room upstairs at the back. Morning came early with the light and we soon found that someone kept a cock in a nearby garden . That was bad enough but it set off a trainee cock in another garden. They shouted at each other until we gave up and got up.

Blimey, after FC's story, I'm glad I live in a quiet city. Usually just a few cars passing in the night and the trams thumping past 'til about 2am. We don't notice them now, after all, we were here when it was heavy rail with block container trains hauled by ' Whistlers ' during the night.

Ann's late uncle was a driver and used to give us Ilkley Moor on the tooter as he went past !

Saturday night was a bit noisy, a few lads were talking and messing about with a pushbike across the road about 1 am until they wandered off. Then door banging as a taxi arrived a couple of doors down. I nodded off then was woken by more talking and car doors. I didn't bother to ring the police as it was them ! A police Blingo van had stopped a car and they were busy throwing someone in the back. I watched for a bit but gave up, closed the windows and went off to sleep.
The pheasant family and various hangers on, sometimes 12 in total, wander onto my back lawn around 8am looking for food. Then in a few months when the lambs are separated the bleating will continue into the night. On top of all that there is a damn woodpecker and a hooting owl resident in the SSSI on the rise behind me. And my neighbour sets off in his diesel Freelander to exercise his dogs at 7am every morning.
My only solution is to move back to the front bedroom. But as that faces East it gets the full early morning sun. I just can't win.
 Noise complaints - Dog
I get exactly the same here l/l, except for the Freelander at 7am. That sun gets on my tits in the summer months, blazing in my bedroom at some unearthly hour but, reading through this thread, I'm staying put thank you very much. Gimme the sheep, pheasants, woodpeckers, and howls a'hooting any day in preference to some of the two-legged animals out there.
 Noise complaints - Clk Sec
>> That sun
>> blazing in my bedroom at some unearthly hour

Get yourself a blackout blind, Dawg. Problem solved.
 Noise complaints - Dog
Funnily enough I had one at our last place, C/S. The bedroom faced SE.
I like to sleep with the window open and the curtains drawn back though, so I can see the Big Dipper :)
 Noise complaints - Crankcase

>> I like to sleep with the window open and the curtains drawn back though, so
>> I can see the Big Dipper :)

Oh come on, Dog, that's easily solved. Just get yourself a transparent blackout blind.
 Noise complaints - Zero
>> Funnily enough I had one at our last place, C/S. The bedroom faced SE.
>> I like to sleep with the window open and the curtains drawn back though, so
>> I can see the Big Dipper :)

in that case

www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/11498677/Dreamland-Margate-tickets-go-on-sale.html

then move here.

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-34330473.html
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 29 Apr 15 at 10:12
 Noise complaints - Dog
£62k! .. as it says "ideal BTL" I've been to Dreamland twice actually. The first time was when I hired a jaaag to drive the missus down there 'in style', like.
The second time was with my late bro and his young daughter, she had me going on all the rides and, being the faux tough guy, I had to oblige. Boy did I feel ill at the end of it all. Good fun though ISTR.
Dog, is that a euphemism?
 Noise complaints - Dog
You've been to Margate I take it then l/l.
>> the Foundations first LP from '67. The sleeve notes refer to them starting playing in a basement coffee bar below a record dealers office in Westbourne Grove.

No, didn't know them. The ones I sort of knew - I'm sure they don't know me although their old managers do - were originally the house band of the UFO club in Tottenham Court Rd, later in the Roundhouse. Subsequently became super-colossal and made a lot of money out of film music... does that ring a bell?

:o}
 Noise complaints - Londoner
You don't mean those herberts who wrote the lyric "We don't need no education" (thereby proving beyond all doubt that they did, at least in English)?
>> those herberts who wrote the lyric "We don't need no education"

Yes, I'm afraid so. Some of their other lyrics are similarly populist in tone, when they aren't completely meaningless.

One of them is a serious car man though, proper old jalopies, not just flash blingy ones (Cliff Richard style).
All day yesterday, about twice a minute, there was a very loud, flat bark in the middle distance.

Not a dog or dogs though, but some sort of deer. Herself agreed.

It can get damn noisy in the peaceful countryside.
Herself says there are no muntjacs just near here, so the barking must have come from roe or fallow deer, the latter I think. We saw four of them sloping off in the wood yesterday. I think fallow deer are the bigger, darker sort with white marks on their hindquarters, but I always forget.

The other sort, roe deer if that's what they are, are much more elegant and smaller, a beautiful brown colour.
We saw four roe deer today, rather scruffy in the bright light. Herself says it's rare to see them in groups bigger than four, while fallow deer congregate in quite big herds.

However they're quite good at splitting up and filtering away down side streets, like Brixton rioters in the old heroic days of popular dissent...
Latest Forum Posts