Non-motoring > Fitbits Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 8

Fitbits - Bobby
Anyone know anything about these things?

Missus birthday coming up soon and she says she would quite like one but she doesn't seem to know much about them (woman logic there)

I know even less!
 Fitbits - legacylad
Quite a few behind the bar in a certain pub in Ilkley last night
Probably best ask BBD
 Fitbits - WillDeBeest
Haven't had a Fitbit but I've used the rival Jawbone Up, which comes with a simply superb app for collecting and collating the data. It measures my activity in terms of steps and (by extrapolation using my age, height and weight) energy expenditure. It even reckons it can judge the soundness of my sleep, although I have my doubts about the accuracy of this, given that it reports me to have been asleep when I know I wasn't..

One great feature is the 'power nap', which gives me one cycle of deep sleep, up to a maximum of 45 minutes, which can be amazingly refreshing, especially when I'm away on a bid mission and surviving on five hours a night.

But would I recommend it? No, because it's fragile. To charge or (with my non-Bluetooth model) sync it I have to take it off, which means partially straightening it. That gradually stretches the rubber cover and weakens the internal structure. I've had two failures now in eight months and I'm wondering whether to bother with a second warranty replacement. I miss it, though.

What I really want instead is an Up 3. This adds a true heart rate monitor, which means much more accurate sleep monitoring. It also has a redesigned fitting system, which should eliminate the weakness that has done for mine.

In principle, and assuming the Fitbit is similar, I wouldn't place too much faith in the absolute accuracy of the data, or even in comparisons with others using the same kit (although the Friends feature is kinda fun; I have one). But it does let me compare one day with another, and to know when I've done too much sitting still or not got to bed at a sensible time. And it probably does make me a little mine active than I would be without it.
 Fitbits - legacylad
Obviously we are at cross purposes.
I prefer mine
 Fitbits - Cliff Pope
>> Obviously we are at cross purposes.
>> I prefer mine
>>

What are we talking about - false teeth?
 Fitbits - Zero

>>
>> One great feature is the 'power nap', which gives me one cycle of deep sleep,
>> up to a maximum of 45 minutes, which can be amazingly refreshing, especially when I'm
>> away on a bid mission and surviving on five hours a night.

Really? what does it do inject you with a crash dose of LORAZEPAM?
 Fitbits - CGNorwich
What did AC call it - girly phone stuff I think. I do see his point.
 Fitbits - WillDeBeest
On the contrary, CGN; it's nothing to do with phones, except that our pocketable, personal information centres happen to serve that function too. The only question is what information you want it to create or process.

Mine collects and controls music, plays radio programmes, even stores videos (which are surprisingly watchable) as well as processing fitness data, finding places in foreign cities, and doing all the basic communication stuff, including this.

Plenty more it could do, of course, some of which might be dismissed as 'girly' but there's an awfully big baby in that bathwater.
 Fitbits - CGNorwich
All seems a bit narcissistic to me. Each to his own though.
Latest Forum Posts