Non-motoring > I need a hat... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: madf Replies: 44

I need a hat... - madf
I'm balding and the recent sun is hurting my head.

I've got a hat for winter (a bucket one) but it's too hot for summer.

Ideally it will be a baseball cap or similar but my last one is covered with Dinitrol which impregnates the fabric (don't ask).

So I have a large head, need something which looks OK - but I don't want to advertise Red Bull or Golf..
Must keep the sun off. And not get too hot under it..

And preferably can be folded up when not in use.

It would be nice if it costs less than £10 - although I will pay more if i really like it - and colours? Green/brown/camo/dark blue - anything which DOES NOT make me stand out.

Preferably something vaguely sylish please.

All ideas and pictures if possible welcome..
 I need a hat... - Mapmaker
Folding Panama. Fails on the price front, but rolls, keeps you cool and keeps the sun off. Stylishly.
 I need a hat... - John Boy
tinyurl.com/nv4lpgm

I thought all beekeepers had one of those!

:-)
 I need a hat... - Manatee
Choice of colour -

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0052YKJUA
 I need a hat... - CGNorwich
Baseball cap and vaguely stylish doesn't work in any shape or form. No one over 16 should ever wear a baseball cap unless they play Baseball

Baseball caps don't keep the sun off the back of your neck either.

Try something like this. Plenty of choice in Mand S

www.marksandspencer.com/cool-and-fresh-wide-brim-trilby-hat-with-linen-and-stormwear/p/p22365204

I think your problem is that you feel self conscious wearing a hat and that everyone is looking at you. Once you realise that no one gives a dam what you are wearing you will be OK
 I need a hat... - Dave_
I've had a Tilley hat for the last year or so. Somewhat above the OP's budget (almost 60 quid) but I can't recommend it enough. I'm not a hat person at all, the self-consciousness thing took a little getting over with me too. But I recognise the need to keep the sun's rays off my head when walking, at outdoor events or driving with the roof down, and the Tilley is brilliant at that without making me look a twit.

m.gooutdoors.co.uk/tilley-t3-hat-p143203
Last edited by: Dave_C220CDI on Thu 23 Apr 15 at 16:50
My son in law has Tilley hat which he bough in Norfolk fifteen years ago. He now lives in Canada and uses the hat regularly when Kayaking and trekking. Stitching finally started to fray and he took it into his local store in Vancouver and they replaced it no questions asked under their life-time guarantee.
Tilley good for walking yes.

I never saw myself as a baseball cap person but I have found one very useful when in the MX5 (which is essentially only used with the roof down). The long neb give more eyeshade than the ratting cap, and the Tilley gets the wind under it.

My IQ reducer, a Musto similar to this, ​r.ebay.com/30Ru33 , has a lanyard that clips on to my collar, which has reduced to zero the frequency of stopping to recover my hat when it flies off.

Last edited by: Manatee on Thu 23 Apr 15 at 16:59
 I need a hat... - Gromit
Tilley. (Edit: Dave beat me to it!)

Works equally well in sun, rain and wind. Treated myself to one before last year's summer holidays (camping, to bring it back to another thread) and have found use for it almost every day since. And you can get them in a decent range of sizes.

But you sure won't get one for £10...
Last edited by: Gromit on Thu 23 Apr 15 at 16:51
They a great but not really the thing to wear in town.
 I need a hat... - Clk Sec
>>Tilley.

Take care where you leave it, or some comedian will festoon it with corks.
 I need a hat... - Armel Coussine
>> Baseball cap and vaguely stylish doesn't work in any shape or form. No one over 16 should ever wear a baseball cap unless they play Baseball

Absolutely CGN. Baseball caps are unspeakable things. But then so are most hats. Least unbearable are sinister black trilby or Panama... but especially with the Panama you have to invest in other poncy gear too.

Mind you, a nice yellow oilskin Sou'wester would wow the old babes in the supermarket. I must get one.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Thu 23 Apr 15 at 17:07
 I need a hat... - madf
Thanks for the responses so far.

I rather like a Tilley TH4..tinyurl.com/nd328bz

I rather dislike the price!
>>
>> I rather like a Tilley TH4..tinyurl.com/nd328bz

They are quite weighty and thick, depending on the model. My old T3 cotton duck one is quite warm to the point where I get too hot in warm weather using it as a sun hat and doing anything strenuous (walking up hills for example).

If buying one primarily for sun protection I might go for one of the lightweight ones; as it is I am now inured to the image damage caused by my 'crew' cap so I use that to keep the sun out of my eyes, and some factor 50.
 I need a hat... - Stuartli
How about a Fedora?

www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/mens-fedora-hat

Cheap enough too..:-)
>> How about a Fedora?

Yup, better than trilby, more American and sinister. My friend and literary hero Bill Burroughs wore a grey Fedora. It was an essential part of his image.
This should keep the sun out

www.amazon.co.uk/Smiffys-92011-Sombrero-XL/dp/B000LWGHHC
Found one for ON

​r.ebay.com/vxFOsc
 I need a hat... - Old Navy
:-)

old-navy.fashionstylist.com/old-navy-mens-logo-applique-baseball-caps-11.html
>> Found one for ON

If I didn't fear his skinny hand, I'd suggest that the skull and crossbones one would be appropriate too.

Wasn't there a WW1 U-Boat that flew the skull and crossbones? Or was it one of ours?
All of our submarines would fly a skull an crossbones on return from patrol during WW 1 and 2 with their results marked on them. The only time I have seen this done was when HMS Conqueror returned to Faslane after sinking the Belgrano.
Rather distasteful really.
>> Rather distasteful really.

War - armed conflict - is an orgy of crime, when both sides have abandoned all pretence of being civilized. Distasteful doesn't begin to say it. Call a spade a spade.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Thu 23 Apr 15 at 20:38
>> Rather distasteful really.

War is rather distasteful. They intended to sink it, they sunk it, success in terms of their mission.

I imagined, rightly or wrongly, that it was like shooting fish in a barrel, the Belgrano having been launched in 1938 even though presumably having some updated weaponry. I did wonder whether it would have been practical to warn it away, or cripple it. But war when it happens is 100% commitment.

Thread drift or what? I think AC chucks these pebbles in the pond and waits to see what happens :)
>> chucks these pebbles in the pond and waits to see what happens :)

What pebble? What pond? What thread drift? All threads drift except the boring technical ones.

There was a lot of lefty howling at the time about how cruel it was to sink the Belgrano.

Of course it was cruel, but what would anyone expect? It was in an exclusion zone and had been warned off. It was a serious warship and could have done damage even if it was full of the young conscripts that the moronic strutting Argentine junta sent to do its stupid misconceived aggression (encouraged, in case anyone has forgotten, by the then American government, or elements connected with it). What utter swine those officers were. The only brave ones were in the Air Force.

I repeat: armed conflict is an ORGY OF CRIME once it starts. Thank goodness the British are good at it, or have been up to now.

Compared to all that murder and bloodshed, flying a triumphant pirate flag is totally and utterly insignificant. It's ridiculous to think in terms of 'taste' in such a context. Misguided and silly.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Thu 23 Apr 15 at 23:46
>>Rather distasteful really.>>

Not as distasteful as the Belgrano sinking one or more of our aircraft carriers or other ships which she outgunned.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 23 Apr 15 at 20:54
I make no comment at to whether the sinking was militarily justified or not.

What I find distasteful to say the least, obscene would be a better word is the childish
flying of a skull and crossbones flag in celebration of the deaths of several hundred men.
>> I make no comment at to whether the sinking was militarily justified or not.
>>
>> What I find distasteful to say the least, obscene would be a better word is
>> the childish
>> flying of a skull and crossbones flag in celebration of the deaths of several hundred
>> men.

Members of the armed forces can be very much affected by the experience - more soldiers who fought in the Falklands War have committed suicide than died there fighting.

You can't expect military personnel voluntarily to take on the guilt at the time - they need to approve and feel committed to what they are doing, isn't that what the training is about? I dare say many have had some sleepless nights since.

I didn't express that very well. But I don't think anybody in WWII would have thought of telling off fighter pilots for painting swastikas on their aircraft when they shot down an enemy.
 I need a hat... - Slidingpillar
Made the news at the time, especially since the sinking of the Belgrano is an issue where there is a great deal of 'excitement' on both sides.
 I need a hat... - Cliff Pope
Baseball caps worn back to front might keep the sun off the neck, but I agree with the consensus - no one over 16 should ever wear a baseball cap.
Kepi, like that cartoon foreign legion chap?

I too have difficulties with hats. I've never worn one (apart from cap and briefly boater at school), and as AC says, feel sensitive about them so just know everyone is looking at me.
No role model - my father never wore a hat either, apart from an army beret when boating.
Photos of my grandfather before the war show him wearing a rather dashing trilby, and I do rather like the Anthony Eden black silk homburg. But that of course needs other posh togs, not my usual rather scruffy slacks and a worn pullover.

Last year for the first time I ventured out with a panama, but only on a hot beach.
A deerstalker has its attraction, but is imposible now thanks to Benedict Cumberbach's mocking.

The real problem, apart from self-consciousness, is that the moment I wear a hat my head gets too hot. I find that with any warm clothing, even in cold weather. The moment I do anything, even just thinking, I have to start shedding layers. So I tend to wear the same things all the year round, sans hat.
 I need a hat... - Bromptonaut
A buff can be adapted for this purpose:

www.buffwear.co.uk/ways-to-wear
 I need a hat... - Alastairw
For a while I wore a straw panama style hat in sunny weather. I liked it, but my kids refused to be seen with me so for now I just get a singed forehead.
 I need a hat... - madf
Thanks for the input.
I visited M&S on my way to yoga and tried their hats on.. came hone after standing on my head - which clears thinking - and bought this.. tinyurl.com/ojjxneb

Cheap and cover for my ears - which stick out..:-)
 I need a hat... - Runfer D'Hills
I have red wooly hat with a cartoon picture/badge of Sylvester the cat sort of embroidered on the front of it. I really can't remember where I got it but I must have had 35 years or more. It might have been acquired while skiing somewhere but I really can't explain the Sylvester bit.

Anyway, I like it , but my wife and son refuse to be seen with me if I wear it. It only gets a run out if it's really cold of course. The rest of the time it lives in the garage so it tends to smell a bit fusty until it's been aired a bit.
 I need a hat... - WillDeBeest
I have a crushable wool felt Stetson I bought in Texas in 1999. I bought it to take to Death Valley but it's been all over the world with me since. Good against sun or rain, and tolerates being squashed into a suitcase. One of my favourite things.
 I need a hat... - legacylad
Does a proper Panama shed water? I have a 3 week backpacking trip looming, and I find that my old Tilley gets manky on the sweatband halfway through a days hiking. I'm thinking of getting a foldable Colonial Panama. But only if it sheds water and dries ok.
 I need a hat... - Roger.
Two of the schools which I attended had straw boaters as part of the uniform.
Latterly I found that a good soaking made it easy to mould the boater into a rather more raffish version.
Not dissimilar treatment sorts out oversized and floppy service issue berets.
As a by-the-by, my1954 issue uniform cap (Royal Marines) was a nasty stiff thing with, in my day, a wire ring around the brim to maintain the shape.
Gieves were in attendance at my interview medical board to ask whether (if successful) whether I wanted a brown or grey trilby - essential for returning compliments when in civvies!
Before splashing out on a R.M. Herbert Johnson cap, I removed the wire (not really allowed) from the issued horror, to get a more "individual" look!
Since those heady (!) days I loathe hats of any sort and only have a twenty year old ratting hat for use in really wet weather.
Last edited by: Roger. on Fri 24 Apr 15 at 08:50
 I need a hat... - Stuartli
>>Yup, better than trilby, more American and sinister. My friend and literary hero Bill Burroughs wore a grey Fedora. It was an essential part of his image. >>

Didn't do Malcolm Allison's image any harm either...:-)
 I need a hat... - Mike Hannon
I've always worn hats - I think it comes from having had to wear a school cap for years. For the past four decades my choice of all-seasons wear has been a deerstalker. Always gets one noticed, particularly in France. One of my son's friends said on Facebook the other day that one of his memories of childhood is me in my deerstalker, walking my basset hound! These days I also have a nice Panama, a Trilby, a practical furry cap with earflaps my late sister gave me and a (knock-off) Fedora. I do also have a cap - most certainly not called a 'baseball' type - stashed in the Jaguar for when the sun gets a bit too much. SWMBO uses a rather nice wide-brimmed sunhat, found in the UK and made completely of paper.
As someone said above, if you don't care what other people think you look like, it all becomes easy.
>>I've always worn hats - I think it comes from having had to wear a school cap for years.

That sounds like a very good reason for not wanting to wear hats.
All this antipathy to 'baseball' caps makes me want to wear mine now.

Very practical when needing an eyeshade and wishing to prevent sunburn of the pate, perfect for open top motoring.
 I need a hat... - Runfer D'Hills
And reducing IQs
 I need a hat... - Bromptonaut
>> Very practical when needing an eyeshade and wishing to prevent sunburn of the pate, perfect
>> for open top motoring.

I've a plain fawn coloured BB cap plus a couple of Tour de France items. Just the job in bright sunlight, open top though is not part of my experience. My Father got his pate burned years ago through the sunroof of his company Granada.
>> Very practical when needing an eyeshade and wishing to prevent sunburn of the pate

Couldn't agree more - also very good at keeping rain off the pate. I don't like them very much, but as you say, they are very practical.
 I need a hat... - Dog
>>All this antipathy to 'baseball' caps makes me want to wear mine now.

Very practical when needing an eyeshade and wishing to prevent sunburn of the pate, perfect for open top motoring.

I'm with ^this Giza. I even have a Barbour one for when it rains :)
Latest Forum Posts