Non-motoring > Minecraft... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 3

Minecraft... - No FM2R
Does anybody know anything about it?

No. 2 enjoys playing it.

It seems to be about randomly creating buildings and stuff and then wandering around it with really rubbish graphics.

However, what happens in the online games? No. 2 has, until now, enjoyed playing it locally but now wants to play on the net so that she can join in with her friends.

I simply have no idea what's involved, and its so interminably boring to play, that I'd rather find out by asking people then have to play it myself.
 Minecraft... - WillDeBeest
My two went mad for it a couple of years ago. Like you, I couldn't see much beyond the 1990s graphics, although I was quite impressed by the architectural creations the bigger, more design-minded Beestling came up with. They never talk about it now, so I presume the fad had gone the way of all fads.

They did play some interactive stuff online, which seemed to involve a process they called 'griefing', or messing destructively with other players' creations. On balance, I probably minded it less than the hideous 'first person shooter' games they seem to favour now.

If you can bring yourself to consume some BBC content, Radio 4 did a programme on it a couple of weeks ago that should still be on the iPlayer. I've not heard it but it might help.
 Minecraft... - Crankcase
Really wanted to get into Minecraft so had a go last year. I like the idea of a sandbox, building stuff, discovering new inventions etc.

The reality was I got bored quite quickly playing the single player game. I built a castle, made some glass for the windows, lit it up, so on, but didn't take long to think it was a bit pointless.

So I tried the co-op games - at worst you get people "griefing" you, destroying your bits and so on. But there are some co-op worlds where that's all under control and it's a team effort to make something.

I lasted about an afternoon at that though, as I hate anything to do with teams, competition or co-operative play, largely as I always fail/come last/go the wrong way/am too dumb to work out what to do. Much, I'm afraid,as in real life.

So it got ditched for me. I still like the idea somehow though.

I didn't mind the crappy graphics though. They're fine to put over what it's trying to tell you.

Minecraft... - Focusless
A few relevant references from BBC news that might give more info:
www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29330265 Minecraft map upgraded to include houses
www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24177844 Minecraft map includes OS data
www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-30144575 Tate Gallery
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-foyle-west-32050073 Minecraft in schools
www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29211032 7 spectacular creations

Haven't tried it myself - it's the sort of thing I suspect I'd love if I was growing up now rather than 40 years ago :)

EDIT: I like "A Minecraft gamer who goes by the username ohmganesha built a functioning 16-bit computer in just two weeks. The virtual machine includes 32 bytes of RAM (random-access memory) and 256 bytes of ROM (read-only memory)." (from last link)
Last edited by: Focusless on Thu 16 Apr 15 at 14:30
Latest Forum Posts