Non-motoring > Digital Audio Cable Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 22

Digital Audio Cable - Robin O'Reliant
Is this the same beast as a Digital Audio Cable?
 Digital Audio Cable - Old Navy
Do you mean Digital Optical Cable?
The manual that came with the TV (Toshiba) says the output on the back is a Digital Audio Socket. I want to get either a sound bar or just a pair of speakers to get a decent audio quality.

Digital Audio Cable - Manatee
No they are not the same.

www.dummies.com/how-to/content/digital-audio-connections-coaxial-and-optical.html

I don't mean to say you are a dummy.
Never mind, I've now found a headphone jack hiding on the side panel. That'll do for a sub and a pair of speakers.
I'm using a Sony HT-CT60BT, soundbar with sub. Not high powered but I don't want that booming thump that gives me headache. A vast improvement on the onboard sound from a 42" Sony TV. About £90.

It has digital coax and optical inputs, as well as RCA analogue, so could be fed from a headphone jack.
 Digital Audio Cable - Old Navy
I have linked my Sony TV and Denon audio system with an optical cable, this setup gives good quality sound.
 Digital Audio Cable - Stuartli
The shame is that modern TVs do have excellent sound, but the very narrow bezels and thin cabinets mean that the speakers don't point forward as they used to do.

My Panasonic has wonderful sound if you are behind it or underneath it (there's a glass table in between however which prevents this), so I bought a 2.1 Charlie Roth sound system that delivers what should be available in the first place...:-)

Even many years ago, when TVs had Nicam sound and FM quality, the generally poor/average one or two watts per channel speakers completely let the side down. Things don't change but, in modern times, due to cabinet design...:-(
 Digital Audio Cable - Dog
I have the same telly as you mister Stuart sir, but tis in a corner position, and I find the sound to be generally okay.

I have it connected to an olde Arcam Alpha 7, running a pair of crap Sony speakers, but I only use that when there is an 'alf-decent sci-fi film on.
>>.. but tis in a corner position, and I find the sound to be generally okay.>>

So is mine in fact, but the sound was being bounced around the alcove walls and not as clear and transparent as it should have been. Hence the 2.1 speakers, although I did consider a sound bar at first.
The Roth Charlie 2.1 system is now discontinued unfortunately:

www.superfi.co.uk/p-3064-discontinued-roth-charlie-21-speaker-system-with-usb-wireless-ipod-dock.aspx

Mine are black as in this review:

www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1328386/Review-Roth-Charlie-2-1-dock-speakers.html
Last edited by: Stuartli on Thu 16 Apr 15 at 13:25
>>Hence the 2.1 speakers, although I did consider a sound bar at first.

What made 'ee choose a 2.1 system in preference to a sound bar I wonder?
>>What made 'ee choose a 2.1 system in preference to a sound bar I wonder?

Basic sound bars are 2.1 ( left/right/sub) systems. It's just marketing.
>>Basic sound bars are 2.1 ( left/right/sub) systems. It's just marketing.

Sound bars look better with a flatty IMO.
>>What made 'ee choose a 2.1 system in preference to a sound bar I wonder?>>

Better sound with the Roth system then I could find for a similar price sound bar wise, due to superior speaker units and overall construction.
 Digital Audio Cable - Zero
I have a second hand pair of PC speakers - But really good ones - these www.amazon.co.uk/Creature-Multi-Media-Speaker-System/dp/B0007SQDYM -

connected to the analogue line out socket in the set, that way the set provides mid range through its internal speakers, and darth vader provides bass, treble and directional presence and separation.
>> I have a second hand pair of PC speakers - But really good ones -
>> these www.amazon.co.uk/Creature-Multi-Media-Speaker-System/dp/B0007SQDYM -
>>
>>
Not available, unfortunately.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JBL-Creature-II-2-1-Multi-Media-Speaker-System-Computer-Speakers-/251908195816?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3aa6e605e8
Weird-looking speakers, they remind me of Daft Vader .. good reviews tho!
Gone for this one -

www.ebuyer.com/294754-microlab-m700-2-1-speakers-40w-rms-microlabm700

I'll know if it's any good tomorrow.
>>I'll know if it's any good tomorrow.

It appears to get good reviews on Amazon. Let us know how y'all get on with it.
 Digital Audio Cable - CGNorwich
A sound base on which the Tv sits rather than a sound bar which sits front of the TV and can obstruct the screen was my choice. An altogether neater solution.
>>A sound base on which the Tv sits rather than a sound bar which sits front of the TV and can obstruct the screen was my choice. An altogether neater solution.

I wasn't aware there was such a beast, but I do now. Thanks!
Latest Forum Posts