Non-motoring > Track Your Dose Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 9

Track Your Dose - Dog
www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3039806/How-radiation-exposed-fly-App-tracks-personal-dose-cosmic-radiation-air-travel.html

3,000 μSv: from a mammogram. Fat lot of good that will do for my sister, who has a cancerous tumour in her breast and has just had a mammogram.
 Track Your Dose - Dutchie
You can scare yourself to death about anything Dog.As soon you have a walk in any city the amount pollution you breath in must be scary.

Using a mobile phone the chemical rubbish put in foods I can go on.Our immune system must be resilient to cope with this.Cancer is a B.

Track Your Dose - Westpig
When I first joined the cops, as a sprog I was sent to see a post mortem (so you could see something ghastly in a controlled environment).

It was fascinating and awful all at the same time. I started asking the pathologist what was what and he didn't seem to mind and was really quite good about it.

Anyway, when it came to dissecting the lungs, I asked if the person had been a smoker, because they had this black gunk in amongst them.

The answer was "not necessarily, living in Central London can be the equivalent of smoking 8 - 10 cigarettes per day"....which surprised me.

Track Your Dose - Dutchie
They did some test in Leeds regarding air pollution one of the worst in Europe.

Not much you can do except move to a healthier place and not everybody can do that.
 Track Your Dose - Dog
>>When I first joined the cops, as a sprog I was sent to see a post mortem (so you could see something ghastly in a controlled environment).

I watched a TV program a while ago where they dissected a frozen cadaver by cutting through it in slices, so you could see the position of all the organs in the body. I dare say there are post mortems of sorts available on the ww but I don't know if I would be able to watch one, or indeed want to.

My father worked on the ambulances in London during the blitz, picking up body parts, it 'turned' his mind somewhat and he was classed as A2 or whatever it was, for the rest of the war.

Some of the things the fuzz come across during their career must be beyond awful. Some can stomach it, some can't. I don't think I could.
 Track Your Dose - Kevin
>I watched a TV program a while ago where they dissected a frozen cadaver by cutting through it
>in slices, so you could see the position of all the organs in the body.

That's the Visible Human project. The subject was a executed murderer from Texas who donated his body for medical study but was unaware of what they intended to do.

I was given a demo and allowed to play with the 3D Indiana project at UIndy where they have developed software that allows you to see his body in 3D and use a pointer (it's like a pen mounted on gimbals) to zoom into the body and select, rotate and study internal body structures. Gruesome but fascinating.

>My father worked on the ambulances in London during the blitz, picking up body parts, it 'turned' his
>mind somewhat and he was classed as A2 or whatever it was, for the rest of the war.

My father was in the RAF after the war. Based with the yanks in Heidelburg he was in charge of the UK section of a joint UK/US project to locate, recover and identify the crew of downed allied aircraft. He never went into any detail about what he'd seen but I imagine it was the stuff of nightmares.
 Track Your Dose - Westpig
>> Some of the things the fuzz come across during their career must be beyond awful.
>> Some can stomach it, some can't. I don't think I could.
>>

The strange thing is.. it's seemingly age related.

When I started at 18.5 years old... I was right in there. I was as nosy as hell, which had something to do with it, but whatever it was it didn't seem to matter (although it was different with kids).

Time I finished at 48.5 years old, it was the exact opposite. I'd go out of my way to not look at the awful.

Same principle with height related issues, they never used to bother me.. but do now.
 Track Your Dose - Dog
>>You can scare yourself to death about anything Dog

That's the last thing I'm scared about, Dutchie. Death. Tis the living bit that I sometimes have trouble with.

My sister is going to have a lumpectomy, whether that will entail radiotherapy or not, I'm yet to learn.

Your quite correct about the immune system btw, pre-cancerous cells are forming in our bodies almost on a daily basis, and our immune system recognises that fact, then nukes the critters, usually.

Say hello to Diane for me from Sunni Cornwall.
 Track Your Dose - Ted

Like Westporker, as a young bobby, I was offered the chance to go and see a PM. The victim was an old woman in her 80s and a long term smoker. I didn't mind the blood and snot but when the rib shears had done their gruesome work, the smell that came out of the chest cavity was the worst I had ever had to deal with. The pathologist, Dr Blench, smoked continuously during the procedure, dropping his ash and dimps into the cadaver's chest !

I saw many more after that, at one time I thought the mortuary staff at Robert Street would ask me to the Christmas Party ! There used to be a sweepstake on the weight of the body...2 bob in the pot and the winner took all. I suppose it maintained some sort of sanity.
 Track Your Dose - Dog
>>I suppose it maintained some sort of sanity.

I would say that is exactly it. I've tuned a few cars for undertakers in my time, and well remember one 'director' inviting me into his flat above the chapel of rest for a cup of Rosey and to meet his wife and kids. His lounge was directly above the glorious dead. Just another job really I suppose.
Last edited by: Dog on Thu 16 Apr 15 at 16:37
Latest Forum Posts