Non-motoring > Spend! Spend! Spend! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 14

Spend! Spend! Spend! - henry k
Viv Nicholson, who became famous overnight when she said she would "spend, spend, spend" a £152,000 Pools win in 1961, has died aged 79.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-32275463

Even Google recognises her quote.
 Spend! Spend! Spend! - Zero
you wouldn't have wanted to be married to her. 4 husbands, three of them karked it in sudden ways.
 Spend! Spend! Spend! - madf
She did not take it with her :-)
 Spend! Spend! Spend! - Robin O'Reliant
She might have gone on a spending spree but she also made provision to have her kids privately educated and apparently they have turned out to be fine upstanding adults with good careers.

Good luck to her, despite the tragedies in her life she harmed no one and had no regrets.
 Spend! Spend! Spend! - No FM2R
>Good luck to her, despite the tragedies in her life she harmed no one and had no regrets.

Absolutely.
 Spend! Spend! Spend! - rtj70
>> Good luck to her,

... except she's now dead. But good that she invested in her children's education. But in today's money the win was over £3M... so spend, spend, spend it was! And that was her decision.
 Spend! Spend! Spend! - Robin O'Reliant
>>But
>> in today's money the win was over £3M...

>>
And worth more in "Set up for life" terms as there was relatively little in the way of consumer goods to spend it on back then if you compare to today.
 Spend! Spend! Spend! - legacylad
Good for her. I hope she was sat down when she heard the good news. Poor lady suffered from dementia I believe. They're but for the grace of God.
 Spend! Spend! Spend! - rtj70
>> Good for her. I hope she was sat down when she heard the good news

Are you suggesting she had dementia in 1961? Or when she died?
In her later years I believe. Not nice.
 Spend! Spend! Spend! - Cliff Pope
>>I hope she was sat down when she heard the good news.
>>
>>

Sitting down. Or do you mean someone pushed her into her seat before warning her he had to tell her good news?
Runfer didn't bite... I need better bait.
See the thread about lifetime running costs.
Of to get my coat now.......
 Spend! Spend! Spend! - Runfer D'Hills
I just put it down to you being from Yorkshire and therefore by default being linguistically challenged...

( someone else has just used "stood" when they meant "standing" but I've resisted...)

;-)
 Spend! Spend! Spend! - Falkirk Bairn
>> there was relatively little in the way of consumer goods to spend it on back then if you compare to today.

Drink, gambling, cars and she squandered the rest!
 Spend! Spend! Spend! - Roger.
Squanderbug!
Latest Forum Posts