Non-motoring > Over the Counter Medication on Prescription. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Fullchat Replies: 21

Over the Counter Medication on Prescription. - Fullchat
The NHS is always a hot topic and regularly discussed here. I read an article in the Daily Rag suggesting that GPs are being requested for and issuing prescriptions for over the counter items such as sun cream, paracetamol, Calpol, nappy rash cream and the like. Now this runs into many £ millions. Those seeking such items, of course, are those who are entitled to free prescriptions. My GP friend corroborates this behaviour. This is so wrong. If the NHS is to try and show some efficiencies instead of being just a bottomless pit this would be a good place to start What do the panel think?
 Over the Counter Medication on Prescription. - Armel Coussine
Interesting question Fullchat.

What it boils down to is, does our country try to provide a normal quality of life, with holidays and other luxuries, to skint jobless citizens, or should it squeeze them a bit, Victorian style, to concentrate their minds and make them seek work or work harder?

I'm afraid the citizens expect a full service whether they deserve (or have 'earned') it or not. We'ra corrupt self-indulgent lot these days.

I get free medicine because I am old. But really I should be required to pay for it because I can afford to.

I used to get cannabis extract on prescription from a Chinese chemist in Shaftesbury Avenue. It was legal but not NHS - the prescription was free but I had to pay for the dope. It was a bargain though. If anyone's interested, extract and tincture are both iffy. The risk of overdose and horrors is very high. All the same, it was nice going there and being called: 'Mr Coussine - your cannabis.' The other punters used to look round to see who you were.

I wonder if that's still possible? I doubt it.
 Over the Counter Medication on Prescription. - Stuartli
>>over the counter items such as sun cream, paracetamol,>>

I'll believe this when someone proves it so. Why would anyone pay a prescription charge for painkillers such as paracetamol that cost about 25p for 16 tablets or caplets?

What a lot of people don't seem to know is that you can obtain certain basic medicines or painkillers at your friendly chemist free of charge if you are a senior citizen without needing a prescription, providing you are properly registered.
 Over the Counter Medication on Prescription. - Manatee
90% of prescriptions (and I don't think that is much of an exaggeration) are free.
 Over the Counter Medication on Prescription. - Slidingpillar
I've got a prescription exemption and even I buy my paracetamol, wouldn't feel right to get them prescribed.
 Over the Counter Medication on Prescription. - zippy
No FM2R's post here www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?f=5&t=19522 links to an amusing Facebook rant by Dr Rant.

In the text there are explained reasons why such prescriptions are made:-

.*******

I guess some really poor people who cant afford the £1.50 to get certain medicines over the counter will ask for a prescription and will get it free because they are on benefits and I don't necessarily have a problem with that.
Last edited by: zippy on Sat 11 Apr 15 at 00:34
 Over the Counter Medication on Prescription. - zippy
Missing text...

"Dear Daily Mail. I see that you're having a go at the NHS for prescribing toothpaste, suncream, and calpol today. I see that you have done your usual research into this. I prescribe toothpaste (duraphat fluoride) to people who have had radiotherapy for their head and neck cancer, for whom the normal stuff doesn't work. I prescribe suncream for people who have skin cancer or pre-cancerous skin. And I prescribe paracetamol solution for children with high temperatures to stop them having a fit. And I expect all of this prescribing costs the NHS a lot less that the extra pointless work generated for it by Lifescan and other 'health screening' companies. You know, the ones that advertise in the Daily Mail pages 30-65 every." (Swearwords removed)
 Over the Counter Medication on Prescription. - No FM2R
>>.*******

I really admire your optimism in thinking that the swear filter was going to be happy with that being cut and pasted!!
 Over the Counter Medication on Prescription. - No FM2R
I am an asthmatic. I have to pay a prescription charge (£8.20) in the UK for each item - which b***** mounts up, let me tell you!

The same inhalers, branded, cost £2.00 each here over the counter.

I guess I'm subsidising someone.

As an aside I have always wondered why salbutamol and the other inhalers are prescription drugs in the UK and the US, but "over the counter" in many [most?] other places. Anyone know?

I can't think what evil you could do with them such that they need controlling. Especially for someone who has been a diagnosed asthmatic for 50 years.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 11 Apr 15 at 01:44
 Over the Counter Medication on Prescription. - R.P.
Prescriptions are free in Wales. I reckon they should be means tested. Last time I had one was about four years ago for a foot infection. I have the means to pay and feel that people like me should have to pay. Perspiring benefits only.

If you're thinking of voting Labour see what they've done to the NHS in Wales. One of the very few things I agree with Cameron about.
Last edited by: R.P. on Sat 11 Apr 15 at 09:11
 Over the Counter Medication on Prescription. - bathtub tom
I was prescribed aspirin some years ago. My GP assumed I wasn't taking them as I never collected the prescriptions. I explained they cost 16p a packet, which I guess was less than the administrative costs of prescribing them and something I could afford. Got a very funny look.
 Over the Counter Medication on Prescription. - Duncan
>> I was prescribed aspirin some years ago. My GP assumed I wasn't taking them as
>> I never collected the prescriptions. I explained they cost 16p a packet, which I guess
>> was less than the administrative costs of prescribing them and something I could afford. Got
>> a very funny look.

Were the prescription aspirin enteric coated, so that they don't damage the lining of the stomach (or something like that!)?
 Over the Counter Medication on Prescription. - bathtub tom
>>Were the prescription aspirin enteric coated

Dunno, never got them on prescription.
 Over the Counter Medication on Prescription. - sooty123
>> Prescriptions are free in Wales. I reckon they should be means tested.

Only things is means testing costs a few quid often it's cheaper to just not bother. As above I was surprised so much of it is to exempt people, I think the figure I saw was 88%. But like tom's experience suggested people if it's cheaper to buy over the counter they will. So I suppose that might 'hide' the figures.
Me and the oh are exempt from payment, could we afford them, yes. But we don't have very many, if I/we did I just buy the pre-payment certificates.
 Over the Counter Medication on Prescription. - Zero
I can't get an appointment with my doctor for 4 days. I have two choices, self diagnosis and buy over the counter meds, or A&E.

Over the Counter Medication on Prescription. - Duncan
>> I can't get an appointment with my doctor for 4 days. I have two choices,
>> self diagnosis and buy over the counter meds, or A&E.

Use a different GP.
 Over the Counter Medication on Prescription. - Runfer D'Hills
I've been to a doctor 3 times in my adult life. Two of those occasions were to sign up with a new one when I moved house and the other was when a company I worked for wanted to provide us with health cover and I had to go for a kind of MOT to qualify.

Each time I was given the once over and told I was fine. I still seem to be fine. Probably I'll drop dead tomorrow now of course !

My wife however, makes up for my lack of burden on the NHS, I'm mildly surprised she doesn't get invited to to the surgery Christmas parties and leaving dos.
 Over the Counter Medication on Prescription. - mikeyb
Difficult subject.

My personal experience is that they try to crack down on this sort of thing, but in the wrong areas.

My daughter underwent open heart surgery at 18 months old - about 2 and a half years ago. Luckily she has made a full recovery and the surgery was a complete success, however, at the point of discharge she was still required to continue taking some medication which was issued at the hospital with further supplies to come via prescription via local GP.

No problem with this, but as the consultant had deemed that infant paracetamol was sufficient for pain relief then they refused to provide any to take home and suggested we stop off on the way home. In my opinion that was pretty poor, and I have a slight feeling that our ability to pay was a factor.

I guess another consideration is that if these items were not provided by GP's for free then "some" parents just wouldn't bother. Its a bit like they all you can eat buffet - you know you don't need any more, but something makes you think you should as its your right
 Over the Counter Medication on Prescription. - Old Navy
>> I can't get an appointment with my doctor for 4 days. I have two choices,
>> self diagnosis and buy over the counter meds, or A&E.
>>

And there was me thinking you were bright enough to know what Accident and Emergency (life threatening) meant. Pharmacists are quite well trained.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 11 Apr 15 at 13:29
 Over the Counter Medication on Prescription. - Crankcase
Between us we get through eight boxes of tablets a month, and three sets of other diabetic kit every three months. If we paid over £8 a time it would be pretty painful.

On e other hand, if we could pay the money and not have the ridiculous afflictions I'd be a happy man.
 Over the Counter Medication on Prescription. - rtj70
>> we paid over £8 a time it would be pretty painful.

Which is why you'd then get a pre-payment card for prescriptions if you had to pay. At one time I had lots of prescription items due to eczema (allergic to cats!) and so the GP suggested a pre-payment card. I'd never heard of it before but saved a lot of money over a few years. Eventually my allergic reaction to the cats subsided.

Back then prescriptions were cheaper too. Which is why I got some items on prescription that I might otherwise have paid for in cash (items that were about £5 each). As a higher rate tax payer I didn't feel guilty. If I was paying for all the items and prescriptions then that all added up to a lot of money every month.
 Over the Counter Medication on Prescription. - Zero
>> And there was me thinking

Keep telling you, don't do that thinking stuff, you are very bad at it.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 11 Apr 15 at 15:25
Latest Forum Posts