Non-motoring > Fred Olsen Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 65

Fred Olsen - MD
Has anyone cruised with this mob in recent years, particularly the ship Black Watch?
 Fred Olsen - Zero
Grab a granny cruise?

average age of passengers over 70

I was recently retired and the youngest one there
 Fred Olsen - MD
The more I read the worse it gets. Her indoors needs a spank. See you later!
 Fred Olsen - Old Navy
Been there, done that, agree with Zero. Cough, spit, wash my mouth out. :-)

We have only done cold water cruises, Baltic and Norway. They served the purpose as a mobile hotel.
 Fred Olsen - MD
Mrs MD thought she fancied it, but now seems to be wavering thankfully. We've done about eight on Pox & 'orrible to date. Their standards are very mediocre and do not represent value. Expensive Butlins I feel.
 Fred Olsen - sooty123
. We've done
>> about eight on Pox & 'orrible to date. Their standards are very mediocre and do
>> not represent value. Expensive Butlins I feel.
>>

took seven more to realise did it ;-)
 Fred Olsen - MD
The first two were ok. The rest were med, medio, and the medioc. Are you following my boy? :-0)
 Fred Olsen - sooty123
Are you
>> following my boy? :-0)
>>

Oh absolutely, i understand you just needed six more to check };--)
 Fred Olsen - MD
>> Are you
>> >> following my boy? :-0)
>> >>
>>
>> Oh absolutely, i understand you just needed six more to check };--)
>>
Yes............SHE did :-0)
 Fred Olsen - Runfer D'Hills
I can't claim to know anything about it, never tried. Instinctively, I think I'd hate it. But some people love cruises don't they so there must be something in it I guess.

Being in long term close proximity with others in a controlled environment is more or less the opposite of my idea of a holiday but maybe it's not like that?
 Fred Olsen - MD
>> Being in long term close proximity with others in a controlled environment is more or
>> less the opposite of my idea of a holiday but maybe it's not like that?
>>
Mmmmmmm.
 Fred Olsen - Armel Coussine
Gotta be a nightmare, an unspeakable floating hotel with 4,000 old biddies in their sixties faffing and twittering. On a 'cruise' of all things.

Ships were a form of transport in my day, they creaked and rolled and smelt bad and had filthy scuppers. And they went somewhere because that was what they were for. It took ages but at least you ended up somewhere else.
 Fred Olsen - Zero
>> I can't claim to know anything about it, never tried. Instinctively, I think I'd hate
>> it. But some people love cruises don't they so there must be something in it
>> I guess.

It went down hill when they allowed steerage passengers onto the promenade deck.
 Fred Olsen - MD
Keep 'em coming.....
Well, a holiday for me is to do what I'd do fairly much all the time if money were relatively no object and I didn't have to work.

That wouldn't be on a boat with a load of other people in my case.

What's your ideal holiday Martin? Start with that and then tailor it to suit time and budget.
 Fred Olsen - CGNorwich
From "Cruise Critic"

Black Watch Fellow Passengers
Fred. Olsen passengers are English, by and large, with the majority being from the Midlands and the North. There is a sprinkling of other nationalities but they speak English. The livelier passengers will end up in the Lido Lounge after the evening's entertainment but most turn in early. On ship days, passengers will often be found in the library or one of the lounges with a good book to keep them company. Fred. Olsen's Baltic and World itineraries attract an older age group, probably averaging 70, while on the Norwegian fjords or any other adventure cruises, the median age goes down.

www.cruisecritic.co.uk/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=199
 Fred Olsen - No FM2R
I would have thought that..

"The ship inspires extreme loyalty among past passengers as on a typical cruise upwards of 50 percent may be repeaters. "

....is quite a telling point.

I think it depends what you're looking for.

Frankly uninterrupted days in a library or lounge with booze on tap and a bunch of other like minded passengers doesn't sound bad to me, even if they do have silly accents.

But without doubt some are floating Butlins - although I have to say that as a child I adored Butlins, and it left my parents with free time.

Its about understanding what you want, and then picking ship mates to match that.
 Fred Olsen - hjd
My father cruised with Fred Olsen twice and both times the ship broke down. That was a good few years ago though! An acquaintance, aged 80, loves cruising with them but it definitely sounds as if she is the right age for Fred Olsen.
We have cruised once - Celebrity Infinity around the Norwegian fjords. We were both apprehensive about cruising but enjoyed it. It's definitely the best way to see the fjords, and no unpacking/catching trains etc. Our cruise started from the UK and was about 50:50 British and Americans. Very few children on our ship, average age maybe 60 - this was late July/early August.
Although it is a big ship, with lots of passengers, it was always possible to find a quiet place away from others. We didn't go on the excursions arranged by Celebrity, as we preferred to explore independently.
We are certainly not of the "wouldn't have any holiday other than a cruise" brigade, which seemed to account for a large percentage of people onboard, but we are planning an Alaska cruise next year, again because it's the best way to see the sights. We would add on land bits at beginning/end.
 Fred Olsen - Old Navy
>> From "Cruise Critic"
>>
>> Black Watch Fellow Passengers
>> Fred. Olsen passengers are English, .........

I would agree with that, having done both Baltic and Norwegian cruises. We were in Boudicca, a similar small ship to Black Watch. A big cruise ship would be my idea of hell.

Boudicca has four main engines, it can maintain the itinery on two.
 Fred Olsen - MD
Llangollen canal is on my radar.. Plain and simple suits me. I like peace. Peace and ale. Now there's a combination to reckon with.
 Fred Olsen - Zero
>> Llangollen canal is on my radar..

hmmmmm (sucks air in between teeth) sounds a bit, well, Welsh to me.
 Fred Olsen - BiggerBadderDave
"canal is on my radar..."

Omit one consonant and it's top of my holiday list.
 Fred Olsen - bathtub tom
>> Llangollen canal is on my radar.. Plain and simple suits me. I like peace. Peace
>> and ale. Now there's a combination to reckon with.

I've done a few canals and would certainly recommend it. A couple of locks to build up a thirst and there always seems to be plenty of tow path pubs. A tip, don't use the on board chemical toilet if you are visiting pubs - they don't half fill up fast!

Cruises never appealed to SWMBO and me. We've always thought of them as being like Butlins with the gates locked, but each to their own.
 Fred Olsen - Dog
>>I like peace. Peace and ale. Now there's a combination to reckon with.

Ale leads to peace Shirley - if you guzzle enough of it.
 Fred Olsen - Haywain
"Llangollen canal is on my radar.."

We took a boat up the Llangollen back in '79. It's a delightful canal and crossing Telford's aqueduct (with the unpronounceable/unspellable name) is quite an experience.

There were only 4 of us, so we could use a smaller (34ft?) boat and jump queues by sharing a lock with similar smallish boats. If you can arrange it, it's best to go 'out of season' to avoid the crowds. ISTR our trip followed a fairly dry period and the boat grounded quite often - out of season, there will have been less use of the locks and there should be more water.
 Fred Olsen - legacylad
I was in Madeira last oct on a boys drinking holiday. More upmarket than Beni. Several cruise boats in Funchal most days, but fortunately the passengers walked by the back street boozers we were in. I bet they thought they were glad we were not their fellow passengers. We thought the same.
Nice friendly island. One day I shall return. And drink less
 Fred Olsen - MD
We've done Madeira more than a dozen times. Love it. Love back street lunches and will go for a week again this year.
 Fred Olsen - Zero
Done Madeira twice, flew in once and once on a cruise. Its nice enough, with a good climate, but i don't see any reason to keep going back.
 Fred Olsen - Zero
>> Done Madeira twice, flew in once and once on a cruise. Its nice enough, with
>> a good climate, but i don't see any reason to keep going back.

Edit. I'm not one for keep going back to the same place, ok So I am going back to the same place this year for the second year, but thats because a: its free to stay and b: we will be striking out to different places -this year Granada and the Alhambra.
 Fred Olsen - legacylad
We stayed at the Golden Apartment hotel. About £25 B & B in Oct. Think we booked with Travel Republic, and flew with Jet2. Decent bfast, heated indoor pool to work up a bfast appetite, then nice walk into Funchal, or the other direction to a small fishing village. We found a nice local restaurant whose name escapes me. As did most of the week.
 Fred Olsen - legacylad
Leeno's. Think we went three or four nights out of seven. Had to book in advance.
A nice island, to which I would return. But the world s a big place. Too much to see, too little time. I fancy a month in Thailand next winter, and as a total opposite, a month visiting National Parks in NW States & Canada.
Oops, just remembered work.
 Fred Olsen - Mike H
>> We have only done cold water cruises, Baltic and Norway. They served the purpose as
>> a mobile hotel.
>>
We're planning a Norway/Iceland/Faroes etc cruise next summer for our ruby wedding, with some friends. For our silver, we did the full Norwegian Coastal Voyage, absolute fantastic and very interesting. And from what others have said in this thread, quite untypical in terms of passenger mix.

Perhaps that's a cruise you could consider MD?
 Fred Olsen - smokie
Think I read somewhere that Norwegian cruises on larger vessels could soon be a thing of the past as they are likely to be banned due to damage caused to the environment.
 Fred Olsen - Mike H
The Norwegian Coastal Voyage will always be there, it's the only way to reach some places in the winter!
 Fred Olsen - wokingham
I went on my first ever cruise last August; 7 nights along the Atlantic coast of France and overnight at Nantes, La Rochelle and Bordeaux.Olsen's SS Braemar, about 24,000 tons, 7 decks and just under 1000 pax. I have no need for 4000 pax, 14 bars, 8 restaurants, an ice rink or a climbing wall!
Roughly £100 a night plus £10 a day to go all inclusive on drinks, with a pint and a gin and tonic @ £8 that wasn't a hard choice. Going to Norway later in the year, advantage of the smaller boats is the small fjords the can negotiate, we are going to two ports which are over 60 miles inland so good scenery.
 Fred Olsen - MD
Ahem, we've done Norway three times over the years Mike. The last one early 2014. The Amundsen museum in Tromso is stuff of boys own and I could gave stayed there all day if time permitted.
 Fred Olsen - Haywain
"Has anyone cruised with.............."

Anyone been on Thomson Spirit? I understand that it's a relatively small vessel compared with the sea-going small towns that are all the rage at the moment.
 Fred Olsen - Zero
>> "Has anyone cruised with.............."
>>
>> Anyone been on Thomson Spirit? I understand that it's a relatively small vessel compared with
>> the sea-going small towns that are all the rage at the moment.

Been on its twin sister ship, Thompson celebration)

Nice little ship. Looks tiny next to the big german cruisers.
 Fred Olsen - CGNorwich
"As an older, mid-size ship Spirit has many of the trappings associated with traditional ocean liners -- all part of its appeal and one of the reasons it has built up a loyal following of repeat passengers. Features include good-sized cabins, a lovely wrap-around teak deck and spacious public areas, such as a surprisingly large reading and games room."

per Cruise Critic

www.cruisecritic.co.uk/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=480
 Fred Olsen - Zero
>> "As an older, mid-size ship Spirit has many of the trappings associated with traditional ocean
>> liners -- all part of its appeal and one of the reasons it has built
>> up a loyal following of repeat passengers. Features include good-sized cabins, a lovely wrap-around teak
>> deck and spacious public areas, such as a surprisingly large reading and games room."
>>
>> per Cruise Critic
>>
>> www.cruisecritic.co.uk/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=480

And eesnsy weinsy little pool (my local gym has a bigger spa) and if gets even a little bit choppy you will feel it. But having said that, in my view, its just the right size for coastal cruising. And its compliment of pax is just the right size, you can avoid certain people or bump into certain people as you wish.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 9 Apr 15 at 17:44
As a completely tangential aside, am I the only one here reflecting on what might be like to be stuck on a little ship for a fortnight with a certain party....?

Whistles and exits stage left...

;-)
 Fred Olsen - Zero
>> As a completely tangential aside, am I the only one here reflecting on what might
>> be like to be stuck on a little ship for a fortnight with a certain
>> party....?

Well as you have made your anti cruise feelings well known and are unlikely to be on one, I think we are all safe.

Much as we would all love to see you hurtling out of control off the side of the ship on your mountain bike wailing "but I had a westfield........."
Your know about that too?

Gosh
 Fred Olsen - Zero
>> Your know about that too?
>>
>> Gosh

It will be on your headstone

"Was anyone unaware he once had a Westfield?"

here uk.epodunk.com/profiles/england/westfield-road-cemetery/3002521.html
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 9 Apr 15 at 18:43
 Fred Olsen - CGNorwich
I was just contemplating what a forum world cruise would be like. Three months of interminable arguments as you circumnavigate the globe.

Think I'll book up that remote cottage on the Yorkshire Moors.
>> Think I'll book up that remote cottage on the Yorkshire Moors.

Aye, and have the next moors murderer or ripper sidling up to your door selling clothes pegs and lucky charms.

Stay in a densely populated urban area and die in the riots. More sociable somehow.
 Fred Olsen - CGNorwich
Actually just booking up a week in Dubrovnik. Am I safe? They might start shelling the place again.
 Fred Olsen - Zero
>> Actually just booking up a week in Dubrovnik. Am I safe? They might start shelling
>> the place again.

Well it sounds like you'll be happy to disembark there from MV Car4play shelling or not.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 9 Apr 15 at 18:47
 Fred Olsen - Haywain
"Actually just booking up a week in Dubrovnik. Am I safe? They might start shelling the place again."

Next week, we're off for a short cruise on the Spirit and I have noted that at one point, if I fall overboard, the nearest stretch of beach is Syria.
 Fred Olsen - Old Navy
>> Next week, we're off for a short cruise on the Spirit and I have noted
>> that at one point, if I fall overboard, the nearest stretch of beach is Syria.
>>

Don't worry about it, unless you are seen to go over and are picked up immediately you won't survive no matter where it is. :-)
 Fred Olsen - Haywain
"Don't worry about it, unless you are seen to go over and are picked up immediately you won't survive no matter where it is"

I was kinda hoping that the Med would be a bit warmer than the North Sea :-(
 Fred Olsen - Old Navy
>> I was kinda hoping that the Med would be a bit warmer than the North
>> Sea :-(
>>

You can't win, cold water kills you, warm water has wildlife that will eat you. :-)
I once had a quite pleasant 5 or 10 minute encounter with a turtle while scuba diving. It seemed to want to swim with me for a while or maybe we were just going the same way.

It at one point swam up to my mask and peered in. Didn't seem at all concerned. I didn't try to touch in case it was one of those ninja ones.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Thu 9 Apr 15 at 22:08
 Fred Olsen - Dog
>>Next week, we're off for a short cruise on the Spirit and I have noted that at one point, if I fall overboard, the nearest stretch of beach is Syria.

Brings to mind a certain carry on film: www.youtube.com/watch?v=AghxgAh6y94
 Fred Olsen - Haywain
"Brings to mind a certain carry on film"

I'm certainly not planning on jumping ship :-)

>> Think I'll book up that remote cottage on the Yorkshire Moors.

Even then there'd be some old geezer howling by all the time in in a BMW convertible.
 Fred Olsen - Zero
>>
>> >> Think I'll book up that remote cottage on the Yorkshire Moors.
>>
>> Even then there'd be some old geezer howling by all the time in in a
>> BMW convertible.

with two mad old biddies in the back
 Fred Olsen - legacylad
Only one mad old biddie In t'back. I have two front seats. With the roof down I cannot hear their constant nattering. Most of it harking back to tales of the 40s. God, I needed drink tonight!
 Fred Olsen - legacylad
T'Dales matey. t'Dales. Moors are t'other side of Gods Own.
And I might be old, but I can still get down get black runs after a fashion. Winter tyres or no.
 Fred Olsen - Old Navy
>> I was just contemplating

Who would get float tested first. :-)
>> And eesnsy weinsy little pool (my local gym has a bigger spa) and if gets even a little bit choppy you will feel it.

Only very grand ocean liners had swimming pools when I was small. My old man went to Ceylon in a South African motor vessel, 'Oranje'. He sent a postcard of it with his cabin porthole picked out with a pinhole.

We followed a few months later in a steamship, 'Cameronia', may have been Bibby Line but can't remember. It was a troopship, with a small First Class and other people going out to the East, like us, in sort of third-class cabins down below, with extra bunks cobbled in by rough carpenters, no kidding.

The ship had filthy scuppers in which we children - there was a small gang of us on board - played happily while our mothers swilled duty-free gin - we are in 1945 or 6 during post-war austerity - with the ship's and army officers on board.

The lower decks were crowded with squaddies, never seen on the promenade deck, but much given to misbehaviour in places like Port Said where the ship stopped.

The assistant purser had a sort of stall somewhere in the ship's depths where one could buy snout for the adults and Mars bars for oneself. The assistant purser wasn't a nice guy, sour and a bit thick. Put me off merchant sailors for a bit...
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Thu 9 Apr 15 at 18:03
>> The lower decks were crowded with squaddies, never seen on the promenade deck, but much given to misbehaviour in places like Port Said where the ship stopped.

I think the Cameronia was 25,000 tons or less. Hence the limited space and overcrowded cabins (except the dozen or so on the promenade deck). But from a child's remembered perspective, the things that stand out are the filth, stench and harshness of shipboard life.

Aden, a place then full of British troops going or coming, was also an incredibly hot place where children got the painful rash prickly heat, and where salt-water showers came out hot and stung you as well as not getting you clean.
>> Aden

At Aden, with the sun beating down, my nearly-eight-year old self watched fascinated as the crew lifted big panels of decking (so that was what the ringbolts were for!) to open the forward hold, intending to winch stuff in or out, army stuff most likely. The matelots were kind enough to let me get fairly close.

The odour that surged out of that black hole can only be described in the words of Flann O'Brien, describing the smell that enveloped the evil fairy the Pooka McPhellimey in his great novel 'At Swim-Two-Birds': 'a stench of incommunicable gravity'. To eight-year-old non-smoking nostrils, that just about begins to describe the reek of the Cameronia's forward hold. Far too grave to evoke a physical reaction of any sort. It just paralysed you.

Happy days. Interesting ones anyway.
 Fred Olsen - Roger.
#Oh, we're leaving Khartoum
By the light of the moon
We're sailing by night and by day
Oh, we can't stand the heat
We've got nothing to eat
We've thrown all our rations away!

So - sail on, Somersetshire
The skipper looks on her with pride
He'd have a blue fit
If he saw all the s***
On the side of the Somersetshire!#
 Fred Olsen - Old Navy
My memories of Aden are of the NAFFI club, on a beach if my memory is still accurate after 50 years. Definitely not on an Olsen cruise. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 9 Apr 15 at 21:20
>> My memories of Aden

ON and Lygonos may be interested that we boarded the SS Cameronia in 1946 in Glasgow. The Clyde was then lined with working shipyards. As the ship was edged cautiously down the lane by tugs, the shipyard workers came out and cheered and whistled at the squaddies on the lower decks, who cheered and whistled back. The ship joined in with the odd blast on its foghorn.

I don't suppose that sort of thing happens these days, except perhaps in India or Africa. Ships come and go quietly and no one even looks round. In the forties it seems to have been an 'event'. Perhaps only with troops on board though.

I had recently learned to whistle, and carried away by the general cheerful clamour whistled loudly on the promenade deck until a choleric colonel emerged from his cabin and scolded me. I was very abashed of course. However at Aden the same colonel purchased a huge ripe watermelon from a hawker in a small boat, and invited all the children on board to have some. First taste of watermelon was a bit strange and not quite delicious but it was nice of the colonel I thought. I took it as a form of apology.
Latest Forum Posts