Non-motoring > Galvanised Steel Miscellaneous
Thread Author: SteelSpark Replies: 21

Galvanised Steel - SteelSpark
I was thinking of buying one of these

tinyurl.com/2d72aj7

but would be planning to store it outside. In the description it specifically says that it is not waterproof, but I thought that the whole point of galvanising it would be to stop it rusting, and it would seem strange if such an item wasn't waterproof.

Is it likely that it is just a mistake in the description and that it is, in fact, waterproof?
 Galvanised Steel - Manatee
I think you are over-complicating things. How could it be described as waterproof when it's full of holes including a big one in the lid?

How old are you? It will probably see you out ;-)
Last edited by: Manatee on Sat 10 Jul 10 at 10:00
 Galvanised Steel - Bellboy
maybe consider buying a plastic one steelspark?
they dont rot
you dont see many around though so maybe get in the queue in your local diy shop for the
long weight?
 Galvanised Steel - Stuu
Ive got one of those, well, almost identical, but I bought mine at the local garden centre for £20 - that one seems rather pricey for what is essentially a dustbin with holes and a chimney.

They do go rusty, but it doesnt stop you using them unless your after a 20 year life expectancy.
>> Ive got one of those, well, almost identical, but I bought mine at the local
>> garden centre for £20 - that one seems rather pricey for what is essentially a
>> dustbin with holes and a chimney.

Yeah, seems a bit pricey, seen a few online, but once you add on postage they seem to get towards £25, so I'd rather just pop down to B&Q (rather than having to wait in, wait a few days for delivery eytc). Mind you, I did stumble upon an area that seems to have a few garden centres, so maybe I'll pop down there and try to save a few quid.
 Galvanised Steel - Stuu
>>maybe consider buying a plastic one steelspark?<<

You do know what an incinerator is dont you? I take it your a fan of the chocolate teapot aswell :-)
>> maybe consider buying a plastic one steelspark?
>> they dont rot
>> you dont see many around though so maybe get in the queue in your local
>> diy shop for the
>> long weight?

I don't mind queuing, because I have to go and pick up a glass hammer and some tartan paint anyway...
>>I don't mind queuing, because I have to go and pick up a glass hammer and some tartan paint anyway...

Can you get me some sparks for the grinder while you're there? Thanks.
>> I think you are over-complicating things. How could it be described as waterproof when it's
>> full of holes including a big one in the lid?

I want one that's waterproof, not watertight.

>> How old are you? It will probably see you out ;-)

Well, if they last 20 years, I might get through two of them :)
 Galvanised Steel - RattleandSmoke
My local B&Q are doing a really good offer on glass hammers at the moment.

We used to have one of those, it lasted about three years before it got very rusty and looked scruffy but we only paid £15 for it from B&Q too.
 Galvanised Steel - rtj70
Pilkington really did make a glass hammer to show how strong their glass can be. Glass as you know is stronger than steel - just normally very brittle.
 Galvanised Steel - VxFan
>> In the description it specifically says that it is not waterproof, but I thought that the whole point of galvanising it would be to stop it rusting, and it would seem strange if such an item wasn't waterproof.

I've got a galvanised watering can. It's not waterproof, but it's over 20 years old and showing no signs of rust - and it's been left outside since the day it was purchased, often left half full of rain water. The galvanising has stopped it from rusting, but it's by no means waterproof.

As has been pointed out by someone else, if the incinerator was waterproof then it wouldn't allow water to enter it. As it is full of holes, it's bound to let water in.

And it will go rusty eventually as over a period of time the galvanising will be burnt off by the high temperatures of what you're burning inside it.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 10 Jul 10 at 16:27
 Galvanised Steel - Old Navy
The reason it is described as not waterproof is so that people who use it as a water butt, or to store their garden chair cushions, can't sue them when it leaks or they get wet.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 10 Jul 10 at 17:07
 Galvanised Steel - henry k
>> The reason it is described as not waterproof is so that people who use it as a water butt,
>> or to store their garden chair cushions, can't sue them when it leaks or they get wet.
>>
and as we all know soggy cushions do not burn well and make lots of smoke :-(
 Galvanised Steel - Ted

I think there's a little confusion of terminology here. Waterproof and Rustproof are getting mixed up.
Galvanising makes it rustproof. Drill holes in it before it's galvanised and it's not waterproof. It's still rustproof, though.
A plastic sheet is both waterproof and rustproof.
An untreated steel sheet on your shed roof is waterproof, but not rustproof.
A cotton sheet is not waterproof, but it's rustproof.

I think there's a bit of mixing up the material and the manufactured item here !
Galvanising will, fairly quickly, break down with the heat,
I've done a fair bit of welding to galvanised steel, and, apart from the noxious fumes it gives off, it destroys the 'rustproofness' straight away at high temperature.

The best thing is to treat these incinerators as a disposable item...maybe a couple of years.

Ted
 Galvanised Steel - Zero
As soon as the the thing gets red hot, which it will if you set a good fire in it, the galvanising breaks down and its no longer waterproof or rustproof. Three years max life.

Thanks Ted and Zero.

Makes you wonder why they bother to galvanise them in the first place. I probably won't get a lot of use out of it. I have a quite a bit off stuff to burn now, just enough to make it a pain to dispose of it in other ways, but might not have a lot more to burn for a long time. I had thought that a good one might last me 10-15 years or even longer, with the occasional use over those years making it worthwhile. In 3 years I might only use it twice.

Only 30 quid, but seems such a waste for one or two uses...plus I do wonder whether it might annoy the neighbours (even though they are quite laid back)
I have just ordered £180 worth of replacement shredder at the behest of management. An incinerator might have been cheaper.
 Galvanised Steel - Ted

I would think that the main reason for galvanising would be for storage.
I imagine most manufacturers and retailers would want to store them outside before sale.
Probably for the same reason, steel wheelbarrows are painted black.
A hundred rusty items in your yard won't attract many punters !

Galvanising will last longer than paint, which would be burnt off at the first use.
At least, the lid of an incinerator will probably outlast the rest of it, if the fire isn't too big.

I bought one a few years ago when I was felling two huge Manchester Poplars in the back garden.
Naively, I thought I could quickly get rid of the branches by burning. No chance ! I gave it to a gardening freind and bought a 2400 watt shredder.
Only a cheap make, PowerPlus or something. got it from B & Q on ' wet wednesday ' and saved a bit.
Set up over a plasterers bucket, it ate everything I fed it with, even the plastic ' dibber ' that came with it ! I had two green bins and constantly filled them with chippings. I cadged more from neighbours who weren't using theirs and took them back when full.

The binmen must have been apoplectic......8 or 9 bins each weighing about 1/4 ton.
It was all legal stuff, though. Logged everything that was too big and gave it away to anyone who'd collect. The trunks were about 24" across, so I got a tree surgeon to get them down to a managable height of about 8 ft. they sprouted again next year but I removed all the new growth easily....4 yrs on, they haven't sprouted again and they're short enough not to be seen behind the garage.....No leaves over everything now !

I'm a Lumberjack and I'm OK.
I sleep all night and I work all day.
I chop down trees, I wear high heels,
suspenders and a bra.
I wish I was a girlie,
just like my dear Papa !

Ted
 Galvanised Steel - devonite
Find an old oildrum and knock some holes in it with a pick - will last you far longer!
 Galvanised Steel - rtj70
I am surprised that Manchester City Council do a free bulky refuse collection. I suppose it stops fly tipping....??
 Galvanised Steel - CGNorwich
I use one of those. Have a couple of shredders, one for chipping woody waste which use as a mulch under the shrubs and a rotating disc shredder for leafy waste which I compost together with household waste and shredded paper etc.

However there are certain things that you really need to burn such as rose prunings and and diseased plant matter and any weeds that have gone to seed so an incinerator is very handy. I use it 3 or 4 times a year. Will rust eventually but as long as you keep under cover when not in use will last for years. Agree an old oil drum would be OK but where do you get one of those these days?
Latest Forum Posts