Non-motoring > RIP Panasonic SD253 Breadmaker... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 91

RIP Panasonic SD253 Breadmaker... - Ambo
...after some 2000 loaves and over 13 years of faithfull, totally reliable service. The only thing required was a new paddle, when someone scratched the the non-stick surface of the old one. Now, the machine just can't raise enough heat. Replacement Panasonic on the way.

This is the most reliable product I have bought, the nearest being an older generation Braun shaver. A newer Braun model lterally came apart, after just 3 years.
 RIP Panasonic SD253 Breadmaker... - Dog
You've just reminded me to stick mine on at 4pm clock so it's ready for 9pm. I get through quite a few paddles, due to using wholemeal flour. I find the silver paddles last longer than the black ones.
 RIP Panasonic SD253 Breadmaker... - Haywain
My heartfelt condolences, Ambo. I inherited a SD253 just over 3 years ago when my dear uncle passed away, and it has been producing perfect loaves for us ever since. According to the note that my uncle had make in the instruction booklet, he had purchased it in April 2005.

The 'bakelite' lever in the nut-dispenser broke up just over a year ago so I now have to add fruit/nuts manually when doing a spiced fruit loaf, and we too have had to replace the paddle.

Contemplating the dreadful day when ours reaches the end of the road, I've been looking on e-bay and the number of 253s on there is gradually diminishing as their race dies out.

I'd be very interested to know what you purchase as a replacement and how you get on with it - it can surely only be another Panasonic of some type?
 RIP Panasonic SD253 Breadmaker... - Zero

>> I'd be very interested to know what you purchase as a replacement and how you
>> get on with it - it can surely only be another Panasonic of some type?

I have a mixer, a dough hook, and an oven. A bonus is I can have a multitude of different types of loaves and bread, none of which are square with holes in the bottom.
 RIP Panasonic SD253 Breadmaker... - No FM2R
>>I have a mixer, a dough hook, and an oven.

As does my wife, for similar reasons

S'quite difficult though. And it doesn't work when I'm told to do it. Its the oven, I think you have to know magic to make it cook right.
 RIP Panasonic SD253 Breadmaker... - CGNorwich
you can even dispense with the dough hook and mixer and knead it by hand. Alternatively you can pop down the bakers. ;-)
 RIP Panasonic SD253 Breadmaker... - Robin O'Reliant
We have a Sanyo microwave we bought in 1987, still used daily and working like new.
"I have a mixer, a dough hook, and an oven. A bonus is I can have a multitude of different types of loaves and bread, none of which are square with holes in the bottom."

Congratulations, I'd never have thought of that!
 RIP Panasonic SD253 Breadmaker... - Runfer D'Hills
I have no idea where my wife obtains bread. Wouldn't like to interfere.
>> I have no idea where my wife obtains bread. Wouldn't like to interfere.
>>

Quite.
 RIP Panasonic SD253 Breadmaker... - WillDeBeest
Another SD253 here, also sans nuts. (Gluing the lever back together lasted about a week and the dispenser is no longer available as a spare - unless Ambo would entertain an offer for his.)

I too have the mixer and dough hook kit, but the Panasonic is just easier, although I seldom let it go right through to bake. I'll either mix the dough on the Pizza setting first thing in the morning, or I'll program it with a delay the night before and stop it before it gets hot. Then I shape the dough, plop it on a tray or into my Silverwood 1kg loaf tin (brilliant bit of kit, made of mystery metal that never needs washing) and bake it in the gas oven with a bit of steam.

Yesterday I forgot to stop it and was reminded only by the smell of baking wafting up from the kitchen, so the bread was unfeasibly tall with a hole in its bottom - a bit like me. Made up for it this morning, though: good bread and doughnuts too.

Sorry to hear about yours, Ambo. The SD253 is genuinely one of the best domestic appliances I've had. I can only suppose that Panasonic found it could no longer make money on it at a price the market would bear. I hope I'm wrong and its successor proves to be as durable.
"Gluing the lever back together lasted about a week"

I tried that - even doing an Araldite with impregnated gauze reinforcement - but it didn't work. I suspect that the plastic material became brittle in the heat.

I'm perfectly happy with square/oblong loaves - slices are easier to fit in the toaster; they are also good for sarnies.
True, so long as you stick to the mixtures based on 400g of flour; I tend to need 600g for a family-size loaf.

On that note, I've found the motor copes just fine with larger batches; I often use 900g of flour to make two mid-size loaves. It's just that if the machine baked it, it would take the lid off!
"True, so long as you stick to the mixtures based on 400g of flour;"

Yes, the vast majority of loaves that I make are 400g flour. My wife rarely eats bread, so it's down to my daughter and me; I now do, on average, two loaves a week - mostly 50/50 wholemeal/plain flour.
 RIP Panasonic SD253 Breadmaker... - Manatee
Haven't used mine for 2 years, I didn't realise it was a collectors' item. The boss can use it after I have fallen off the twig. Meanwhile I think I am on the same approach as Zero. I usually make 4 small loaves at a time with 1kg flour.

Today's was half and half Matthews Cotswold Crunch and Eight Grain, from a recent Aldi offer. Neither is very special but together they work well.

I did make some acceptable french sticks with the Wessex Mill flour at the second go a couple of weeks back - just need to practice the shaping, they were a bit uneven in appearance.

>> I did make some acceptable french sticks with the Wessex Mill flour at the second
>> go a couple of weeks back - just need to practice the shaping, they were
>> a bit uneven in appearance.

you have the Silicon baguette trays? www.lakeland.co.uk/15810/Perfobake-Baguette-Tray

needs a bit of milk glaze to give it colour
Not the silicone type, didn't know about those, one of these -

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0000BVFCG

Seems to work OK.
It strikes me that the bread-boys on this site fall into 3 distinct groups;

1. I've got loads of money and I'm lazy - therefore I buy my bread

2. I like the taste of decent bread, but I've got better things to do with my life than fanny about lovingly hand-crafting the stuff. I use a bread-maker - it's cheaper too.

3. I'm a bread-making warrior with too much time on my hands. I fashion each of my loaves to be a statement of my creative self; I am a bit sad, really.

;-)
>> It strikes me that the bread-boys on this site fall into 3 distinct groups;

And there are the sados who need to categorise people.
I was considering updating my bread machine for the latest version, but I haven't got the dough.

:}
Well use your loaf and buy one that is on offer.
 RIP Panasonic SD253 Breadmaker... - Bromptonaut
>> Well use your loaf and buy one that is on offer.

Somebody's going to get crusty soon....
Dog is just trying to get a rise

>> Somebody's going to get crusty soon....

...if people keep taking the rise.

Sorry Dog did that one. I'm browned off.
Last edited by: Manatee on Fri 3 Apr 15 at 21:40
I had heard that the Panasonics are the best thing since sliced bread.
>> I had heard that the Panasonics are the best thing since sliced bread.

I dont knead one
 RIP Panasonic SD253 Breadmaker... - MD
Stop trying to butter him up.
 RIP Panasonic SD253 Breadmaker... - Bromptonaut
yeast said, soonest mended.....

>> I dont knead one
>>
Prove it.
 RIP Panasonic SD253 Breadmaker... - Stuartli
>>I dont knead one>>

Doh..!!
>>This is the most reliable product I have bought>>

It's a Panasonic, enough said.

My Panasonic 42in TV is five years old this month (the five year warranty has just expired) and it's never missed a beat.
>>My Panasonic 42in TV is five years old this month (the five year warranty has just expired) and it's never missed a beat.

I have the same telly, not quite 5 years old yet. it's on every night, even though I only watch Banished & Poldark.

The missus has it on - while she's got her head stuck in her kindle, or laptop, so it's just on as an extra light really :)

I wonder what Panasonic would do if the thing went nipples up during the guarantee, being they don't make Plasmas anymore.

I certainly wouldn't want any LED LCD as a replacement - what would you replace yours with, Stuartli?

>> I certainly wouldn't want any LED LCD as a replacement -

Do you have anything resembling a sane reason for that statement?
>>Do you have anything resembling a sane reason for that statement?

Do I have anything resembling a sane reason for anything I've ever done in my life?

I've had two LCD Sony TV's previously, but the picture on the Pana Plasma is noticeably superior to any LCD ... IMO

But, even I am willing to learn and, if I was looking to buy a new telly, I would obviously have to look seriously at the Sony/Pana LCD's because I wouldn't be interested in giving a home to any Korean TV.
LED

Screens are now LED.

I hate to think how many Korean parts you have in your car. I'm not even going to bother to ask why you have a down on korean stuff
 RIP Panasonic SD253 Breadmaker... - R.P.
Because they eat dogs ?
 RIP Panasonic SD253 Breadmaker... - Harleyman
I'm not
>> even going to bother to ask why you have a down on korean stuff
>>

I wouldn't.... it's eating him up. ;-)
Last edited by: Harleyman on Sat 4 Apr 15 at 09:23
>>I hate to think how many Korean parts you have in your car

It's an 07 Subaru - made in Japan, from parts made in Japan.

>>I'm not even going to bother to ask why you have a down on korean stuff

I don't have a down on Korean stuff, I just have a preference for Sony and Panasonic TV's.
>> LED
>>
>> Screens are now LED.

Sort of. It's certainly the most used description for the most common type now on sale.

www.tomsguide.com/us/tv-buying-guide,review-1943-2.html

I'm not going all chauvinistic about it but I've just bought a Sony KDL42W705 which is a Smart 42" LED edge lit LCD TV.

It replaces a 7 year old 26" CFL lit Sony LCD, mainly for the 'smart' features but also because the captions on F1 are now designed for large TVs and barely legible on a 26. The dynamic range is much better, and the blacks are phenomenal.

I'm very satisfied with it and I mainly mention it because its currently a serious bargain IMO - the new models are out and it is now £399 at JLP with a 5 year guarantee. It was very well reviewed a year ago at £600 and the replacement Android TVs are c. £800.

Obviously I'm going to think it's good when I have been watching a 7 year old TV with less than half the screen size, but I can't say I've seen anything perceptibly better, to me. It does need a sound bar/system and the cheapest Sony sound bar at £89 has done the job well enough.

No good for bread though.
 RIP Panasonic SD253 Breadmaker... - Runfer D'Hills
You could always watch one of those "exciting" baking competitions on it...
External power supply? WTF?

(Sorry, little Lud moment.)
I may be able to be seduced away from Panasonic Plasma TV's by this critter:

www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-KDL-43W755C-43-Inch-Widescreen-Freeview/dp/B00UPCJGE4/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

I bet it costs a lot of bread though.

>> I can't say I've seen anything perceptibly better, to me

Mostly you can only tell which TV has a "better" display if you have them sat side by side. Any other way and what you're watching will very quickly become normal and unremarkable. If you do care, then take your own source with you (can be your mobile phone with a video on it, portable DVD player etc. etc) and play the same source on any TV you are interested in.

Equally pay attention to the source fed into any TV on display. There is frequently inconsistency and the one that you think is great, much better than the others on display, albeit expensive, can be the only one with a digital feed.

IMO the far more important thing about a TV rather than comparing its display to the nth degree is its facilities and functionality - does it have enough ports (USB, HDMI etc. etc), will it access the internet if you want it to, will it fit in the space you've got for it, can you get the sound accessories you want etc. etc.

When HD started becoming common people sometimes fell foul of the "HD Ready" "Full HD" 1080i/720p etc etc and other such terms. Many people bought televisions less good than they thought they had until they all gradually converged on the same point.

There's still some of that approach left with "smart" TVs.
The only meaningful comparison is one in the environment in which you're actually going to watch the thing. I've done home comparisons with borrowed hifi gear, so I suppose you could persuade a dealer to lend you three 42-inch screens to try out at home. But does anyone do that? I doubt it; a few take a proper demo at the shop's room, but most pick the one they like on the strip-lit shop floor, ignoring or forgetting that TVs have a 'shop mode' to introduce an artificial - but ultimately fatiguing - punch to the picture to out-vibrant the set on the next stand.

In other words, few buyers who aren't tech journalists or dealer employees have the data to assert that the TV they chose is the 'best'. In any case, the brain intervenes to fill in the gaps in the visual information, so whatever you choose quickly becomes normal. My 2009 Sony - which wasn't top-tech even then - can struggle with fast motion, but so little of what I watch involves a fast pan across a mottled crowd that it seldom bothers me. If we replace it, it'll be because we've found something slimmer and less obtrusive, and not because of its real or imagined picture quality.
>> In other words, few buyers who aren't tech journalists or dealer employees have the data
>> to assert that the TV they chose is the 'best'.

Which is why I read reviews to weed out the chaff.

>>My 2009 Sony - which wasn't top-tech even then - can struggle with
>> fast motion, but so little of what I watch involves a fast pan across a
>> mottled crowd that it seldom bothers me. If we replace it, it'll be because we've
>> found something slimmer and less obtrusive, and not because of its real or imagined picture
>> quality.

Also true. The new TV hasn't in general made the programmes any better, nor did I expect it to. And I'm quite sure I will 'normalise' to it.
>> >> I can't say I've seen anything perceptibly better, to me
>>
>> Mostly you can only tell which TV has a "better" display if you have them
>> sat side by side.

And by the same token it doesn't matter as long as you can see what you want to see in a way that you are happy with.

Still true though; and JP has a large display of TVs using the same source and yes I did go and look at them for the reason you say.. Not a home environment and less than ideal, but on can also pay attention to specific criteria such as dynamic range (some sets have visibly poorer detail in very dark/light areas) and motion being the most obvious. Even so, some may be maladjusted.

It is already apparent now it is at home that one can see much more detail in those gloomy looking dramas, even in SD, than on the 7 year old set (which was quite well reviewed in its day - KDL-26T3000).

But a picture is a picture. Sound I find more difficult. I wasn't impressed by any of the sound bars in the shop, so bought the cheapest Sony one on the grounds that it could hardly fail to be better than the TV's own, and that I would be able to adjust it to something I can live with. In fact at home, on the middle settings it's quite good and better than I expected.
 RIP Panasonic SD253 Breadmaker... - Old Navy
>> Mostly you can only tell which TV has a "better" display if you have them sat side by side.
>>

It also helps if you have HD spec eyes and HI-FI spec ears. :-)
>> it doesn't matter as long as you can see what you want to see in a way that you are happy with.

Absolutely.

And even more than that, as soon as you get it home it will become normal and what you prefer within 48hrs anyway.

I don't think I have an ear for sound. Mid-range at best Stereos have always sounded ok to me, in the car or the house.

Even now, while I understand that there is an audible difference between the different qualities, but I cannot hear it when I'm actually listening to stuff.
 RIP Panasonic SD253 Breadmaker... - Clk Sec
>>My Panasonic 42in TV is five years old this month (the five year warranty has just expired) and it's never missed a beat.

>>I have the same telly,

Actually, Dawg, I think that Stuart has the LCD, not the plasma. We bought the same LCD a month or two later when a local stockist had an exceptionally good offer on the telly, plus a panasonic DVD recorder.

Ours, also, have never missed a beat, but the remotes can be troublesome.

Last edited by: Clk Sec on Sat 4 Apr 15 at 10:40
>>>>
>> Ours, also, have never missed a beat, but the remotes can be troublesome.
>>
>>
>>
Ah, remotes. They once used to last as long as the TV they came with, I've just had to replace two that had gradually refused to respond to the buttons to the point they became unusable.

>> Ah, remotes. They once used to last as long as the TV they came with,
>> I've just had to replace two that had gradually refused to respond to the buttons

You're not far wrong there, Robin; we still have a Sony CRT in our bedroom that we bought years ago, and the remote on that still works perfectly.

Like you, I think I'll buy a couple of new ones. Does one need a PhD to be able to tune them in?

Last edited by: Clk Sec on Sat 4 Apr 15 at 11:18
>> >>
>> You're not far wrong there, Robin; we still have a Sony CRT in our bedroom
>> that we bought years ago, and the remote on that still works perfectly.
>>
>> Like you, I think I'll buy a couple of new ones. Does one need a
>> PhD to be able to tune them in?
>>
>>
>>
The universal remotes I bought (Last one a cheapo from Currys) were a doddle.
>> The universal remotes I bought (Last one a cheapo from Currys) were a doddle.
>>

Thanks. I'll have a look online.

>>>I'd be very interested to know what you purchase as a replacement and how you get on with it - it can surely only be another Panasonic of some type?

The Panasonic SD-2500WXC Breadmaker, White, was deliverted by John Lewis 15 mins. ago. It cost £87.62 with free second-year gurantee. I will report after a few loaves.
>>The Panasonic SD-2500WXC Breadmaker, White, was deliverted by John Lewis 15 mins. ago. It cost £87.62 with free second-year gurantee

£107.50 from Amazon, but that includes delivery.
...deliverted...

Does that mean they dropped it next door and ran away?
"The Panasonic SD-2500WXC Breadmaker, White, was delivered by John Lewis 15 mins. ago. It cost £87.62 with free second-year gurantee. I will report after a few loaves.'

Congratulations on the new delivery, Ambo - I'll look forward to hearing how it compares with the old one.

Some of these chaps are talking enthusiastically about televisions; personally, I've always found that our Sony Bravia gives a fine picture, but a lousy loaf.
>>Some of these chaps are talking enthusiastically about televisions; personally, I've always found that our Sony Bravia gives a fine picture, but a lousy loaf.>>

It's the brand, actually. If Panasonic can manufacture a quality, reliable bread maker, then a plasma television should be a pushover...:-)
>>I think that Stuart has the LCD, not the plasma

I'll wager that Stuart does have a 42" Pana Plasma telly.

Remote controls have been good to me, amazing really, considering the amount of times I've dropped them on the floor :(
>> >>I think that Stuart has the LCD, not the plasma
>>
>> I'll wager that Stuart does have a 42" Pana Plasma telly.
>>
>> Remote controls have been good to me,

I'll wager my two remotes to your one. How about that?
Two!! - you've only got two remotes!! ... what's he like!
You know perfectly well which two I'm referring to...
I'll wager my Panasonic Blu-ray player to your Panasonic DVD recorder.
 Remotes - WillDeBeest
Does anyone else use a Logitech Harmony remote? Ours came out of storage when we added the Yamaha soundbar to the Sony TV and BT Vision+. It's really handy to press two buttons and fire up all three in the correct sequence with all the right options selected. A different pair of buttons sets it up for the PS3 - although it can't do Bluetooth, so we still need the Sony controller for that. More recent models can even manage that, I believe.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Sat 4 Apr 15 at 11:28
 Remotes - Runfer D'Hills
I don't interfere with her television either. Usually only seems to be showing some programme about depressing 19th century Geordies and their put upon lives or something involving the dissection of bodies and the solving of their demise so I don't bother. That and talent competitions where people burst into paroxysms of tears whether they win or lose. Who needs it.

Pah
 Remotes - Dog
>> Usually only seems to be showing some programme about depressing 19th century Geordies and their put upon lives or something involving the dissection of bodies and the solving of their demise so I don't bother

Got to better than QVC, which our two tellies are usually tuned to whenever I relinquish control of the remotes :)
 Remotes - Clk Sec
>> Got to better than QVC, which our two tellies are usually tuned to whenever I
>> relinquish control of the remotes :)
>>

Ah, glad I'm not the only one!
 Remotes - Zero
>> Does anyone else use a Logitech Harmony remote?

NoI have a one for all URC 7562 programmable. It has a deliciously archaic feature where you download new codes for new kit, via an audio interface, rather like the way you loaded programs via tape on an old spectrum, with the same noises

Given that its over 15 years old however, they still create new updates, and its taken everything new added to it in its stride. And all the buttons still work and haven't fallen out.
>>Actually, Dawg, I think that Stuart has the LCD, not the plasma. We bought the same LCD a month or two later when a local stockist had an exceptionally good offer on the telly, plus a panasonic DVD recorder.>>

Actually Stuart has a plasma...:-) It's the TX-P42G20B, the first Panny to feature both Freesat and Freeview high definition tuners.

Only "setback" is that you can't use some of the current Freeview subscription or similar services (such as Connect), but as I can feed the TV an Internet connection, I use a NowTV box, alng with Plex and/or Universal Media Server to boost potential channels viewing via a desktop; can also use a Panny Blu-Ray player to stream apps etc.
>>Actually Stuart has a plasma...:-) It's the TX-P42G20B,

I have the TX-P42G30B. Y'all can still buy a new Panasonic TX-P42X50B on Amazon apparently.
:-(
>> :-( >>

You only had a remote chance of winning the bet...:-) :-)

>> Ah, remotes. They once used to last as long as the TV they came with,
>> I've just had to replace two that had gradually refused to respond to the buttons

>> You only had a remote chance of winning the bet...:-) :-)

Talking of remotes; I dismantled the DVD recorder remote last night - gave the various surfaces a gentle wipe with kitchen paper, and it's now working as it should.
 RIP Panasonic SD253 Breadmaker... - R.P.
A breadmaker with a remote ? :-)
It is 2015! Do keep up...
:-)
 RIP Panasonic SD253 Breadmaker... - Skip
>> It is 2015! Do keep up...
>> :-)
>>

He does live in Wales ! :-)
>>Ah, remotes. They once used to last as long as the TV they came with. I've just had to replace two that had gradually refused to respond to the buttons >>

You must be unlucky. I have several Panasonic remote controls and they can be used with a Panasonic NV-HD640BVCR (I still have dozens of VCR tapes!)..:-)

Can prove a nuisance sometimes, as using the Blu-Ray player can mean the VCR also looking to join the action.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Mon 6 Apr 15 at 12:23
>>. I've just had to replace two that had gradually refused to respond to the buttons

Really/ I've got drawers full of old remotes where the TV / DVD / CD / Whatever eventually went to the electronics factory in the sky but somehow the remote lived on.

No, I don;t know why I keep them either. Remotes and cables, its a weakness.
>> Really/ I've got drawers full of old remotes where the TV / DVD / CD
>> / Whatever eventually went to the electronics factory in the sky but somehow the remote
>> lived on.

That's regular servicing for you.

>> That's regular servicing for you.

I got my mother a panasonic TV based on recommendations on here. After 4 years the only thing left working on it was the remote control (i think -at least it would turn the little blinking green light on the front - off)
 RIP Panasonic SD253 Breadmaker... - rtj70
Sorry to hear you've had a bad experience with a Panasonic TV. Our 32" TV from 2008 is still working well. The 5 year warranty from John Lewis has expired.

I assume you didn't take up another recommendation on here and get the TV from John Lewis? All of their TVs come with 5 year warranties.

>> I assume you didn't take up another recommendation on here and get the TV from
>> John Lewis? All of their TVs come with 5 year warranties.

Got a Samsung from JL to replace it. Samsung is one of the few makers to offer a non smart TV, and dirt cheap it was!
>>I got my mother a panasonic TV based on recommendations on here. After 4 years the only thing left working on it was the remote control (i think -at least it would turn the little blinking green light on the front - off)>>

Weird. My best mate use to run an independent audio/visual/appliances outlet and I and many other friends and associates bought Panasonic TVs and other equipment from him. He also has one himself that's about a year older than mine now (six years); none of the TVs has proved any problem and all bar one (replaced for a larger screen model) are still in regular use.

The five year warranty on my Panny actually runs out this month...:-)
 RIP Panasonic SD253 Breadmaker... - madf
Our Sony TV 32 " from 2002 is still working perfectly as is its remote.

It's the way you treat them...
We still have the old Sony 28" CRT that we've had for a similar length of time. Both the telly and the remote are working as well now as they were then.
>>It's the way you treat them...

Bit like women then, mine still works.

My sony is fine, much older than my mothers crappy panny. I must take the thing apart, I suspect i know what wrong with it - capacitors in the power supply I'll warrant.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 7 Apr 15 at 10:42
 RIP Panasonic SD253 Breadmaker... - VxFan
>> I suspect i know what wrong with it - capacitors in the power supply I'll warrant.

That would be my first guess too. Most common fault with any electronic stuff.
Haywain, you asked about my new Panasonic SD-2500 WXC Bread Maker, replacement for the SAD-253 model. The old one measured 37x34x26cm with the bread container athwart ships, the new one 36.2x25.6x38.9cm with the container ‘fore and aft. It is lighter, 6.5kg against 7.5kg. It comes with a measuring spoon and a 300ml graduated measure. It is a rather more complicated to use.

There is a 2501 model with slightly different metrics and other differences, the main one being that it has an automatic nut, currant etc. dispenser whereas this one requires manual addition on a visual signal.

The handbook gives 25 “menus” with various make-ups and times, including one for making jam and another for compote. There is a reminder guide to all of them on the lid itself but these “menus” are in fact mostly time and proportion guides, jointly accounting for about 122 products: bread, 70 (including 8 gluten free); dough, 26; cake, 12; jam, 8 and compote, 6.

There are the same size, crust colour, time remaining indicator and timer facilities as before but only a few “menus” allow the use of crust and timer controls. A new feature shows where the machine is at during operation, with miniature bar indicators for Rest, Knead, Rise, Bake and End. Completion is signalled by 8 beeps and a “flashing” End bar (but none of these bars can be seen except close-to).

So far I have baked 5 loaves, three malted granary, a 50% granary/white and a 50% wholemeal/white, all good apart from one granary loaf, which was literally only half-baked, as the starting procedure is not quite clear; for example the “Press Start” command should have been written “Press Start and hold for a few seconds.” There are discouraging notes in the manual; that the timing and water content may need altering and that a loaf might need finishing off in the oven, which rather defeats the object. The kneading stage is noisy and the machine then sometimes rocks on its feet

Overall, I would not change a fully-working SAD-253 model for it. The machine came from John Lewis for £87.62. This included free delivery, a free second year guarantee, the free offer of a choice of small tabletop item such a honey pot, a free draw for a pocket camera and some points for the Lewis membership card used to buy it. (The original came from Argos and cost £129.95 on 24/11/2002.)
"Haywain, you asked about my new Panasonic SD-2500 WXC Bread Maker........"

Thanks for the report, ambo, I expect you'll form a good working relationship with the new bread-maker after a few more weeks. I'll look forward to the sequel in 4 or 5 months time.

A couple of years ago, when I was looking into the background to my inherited SD253, I gathered that it was a particularly highly regarded model - and when I read reports of new machines, the general theme went along the lines of "The new one is OK ........ but it doesn't match the old SD253". It's telling that you also express that same sentiment; it's a great pity when newly available technology is used to fix something that isn't broken.

It seems that the old 252/253 models are starting to show their age now - my mate's 252 (i.e. no raisin dispenser) is playing up - he is currently investigating if it's the spindle or the paddle that's worn. I suppose it all helps to make us even grumpier!
I suspect it's less to do with technology and more with price. It's telling that Ambo's SD-253 cost him three digits in 2002; I'm pretty sure I paid only £85 for mine in 2005. I suspect engineering one to the same standard today would require a price of £120 or even more, but the price point is now set and Panasonic felt the product wouldn't sell for that. So they've made engineering compromises to keep the price down.

I'm only supposing, of course - I've not actually used or even handled the new machine - but I know what a kilo of dough feels like and the effort involved in moving it. A motor and ancillaries capable of doing that daily for 12 years must come at a price.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Mon 13 Apr 15 at 16:00
 RIP Panasonic SD253 Breadmaker... - wokingham
Perhaps a bit like standards/build quality at Mercedes when the accountants took over from the engineers?
Latest Forum Posts