Non-motoring > Puppy love Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 186

Puppy love - Dog
I took the missus to Falmouth yesterday to see these cuddle monsters:

www.pets4homes.co.uk/classifieds/898554-labradoodle-puppies-f1-black-pedigree-parents-falmouth.html

She didn't think much of my driving though, saying 'you're not driving in London you know'!
But y'all got to make progress and 'deal' with the mimsers, of which there appeared to be many about yesterday.

So, how do you pick 'the right' puppy from a litter? .. They were all named after alcofrolic beverages, such as Bud, Stella, Bailey etc (seriously!)

I fancied Bud, he was smaller, livelier, and his coat was shiny. The missus liked Bailey who was appreciably larger with a fuller coat.

Lovely Cornish couple flogging the mutts, gave / tea & coffee, and we stayed for 45 mins.

Came away with nowt though - BIG decision! not to be taken likely ... praps I'm getting old!
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 18 Mar 15 at 13:57
 Puupy love - No FM2R
>>how do you pick 'the right' puppy from a litter?

I only did it on one occasion, and I picked two puppies with personalities/behaviour that appealed to me.

It worked out pretty well, and both ultimately turned out to have exactly the personalities that went with their puppy behaviour.
 Puupy love - Dog
They all appealed to me tbh, I don't think there was a wrong'n among them. We saw the mum too, a black Standard Poo; I could never imagine myself walking along with one of those in tow - but that one I could, a fantastic mutt!
Last edited by: Dog on Wed 18 Mar 15 at 11:35
 Puupy love - Mapmaker
Pick the ones that come running out to you, not the ones hiding at the back.
 Puupy love - Dog
There again you see, there wasn't a shy retiring one among them they were all 'up 4 it'.

How about choosing the larger one in preference to the smaller one? Breeder says they are only 5 weeks old at the mo and they will all 'spring up' within a couple of months.
 Puupy love - Zero
Well firstly you never pick on first viewing, so walking away is a good move.

My advice? play with them. Dangle a little bit of cord, roll a ball, a gentle rough and tumble.

The ones up for it and the ones that connect with your personality (who you are comes out int he way you react with dogs) are the ones to go for.

And as for poodles? I would love a big butch standard poodle. Once saw a woman with a large standard poodle in full lion cut and pom poms at a protection dog truing class. All the big butch blokes with Mali's, Shepherds, Rotties laughed till on command the Poodle latched on to the trainers sleeve and pulled him to the ground. Fatntastic dogs, feisty, friendly, intelligent but prone to be scatty.

Alas the labradoodle,takes the Poodles fur and scattyness and the labs lack of brains, and puts them together.
 Puupy love - devonite
Being a "Dog" yourself Fido, couldn't you decide by a bit of "tail-sniffing"! ;-)
 Puupy love - Armel Coussine
I keep remembering the episode in a Marx Brothers movie in which a gangster temporarily allied to Groucho asks him: 'Got a gat?'

Groucho kicks up his heels and replies with a winsome smile: 'No, but I've got a cute little gitten.'
 Puupy love - Dog
>>Being a "Dog" yourself Fido, couldn't you decide by a bit of "tail-sniffing"! ;-)

You been on those dodgy sites again ike ;o)
 Puupy love - sooty123

>> And as for poodles?

Not sure I could get past the daft looks many of them end up looking like. Possibly reasonable working dogs, I know they were breed for working but that look. Not sure I could see myself on, say a shoot with one. My loss possibly. But happy with the boggo lab.
 Puupy love - Dog
>>Well firstly you never pick on first viewing, so walking away is a good move.

Funnily enough, I was just saying that to the missus so it looks like I'll have to have another go at them mimsers.

The Poo mum was shorn all over, none of that lion cut & pom poms malarkey.

>>Alas the labradoodle,takes the Poodles fur and scattyness and the labs lack of brains, and puts them together.

Oh dear, so it's back to the Munster then!
 Puupy love - Westpig
We have a new puppy...Tibetan Terrier, we've had him a week. Lovely little chap. My 7 yr old decreed he'd be called Buster, so Buster it is.

Yesterday I had to take the 14 yr English Springer Spaniel to the vet on a one way journey, which wasn't nice.. so the puppy is good for the household.
 Puupy love - No FM2R
>>Yesterday I had to take the 14 yr English Springer Spaniel to the vet on a one way journey, which wasn't nice.

Sorry about that, its an awful experience.

But usually its the right thing to do. As I told my children when we last had to do that;

"We always knew that [dog] would die before we did. And we have given him the best life we could until now. Lets not spoil the end of it by waiting too long".
 Puupy love - Westpig
>> "We always knew that [dog] would die before we did. And we have given him
>> the best life we could until now. Lets not spoil the end of it by
>> waiting too long".
>>

I've tried to do that, but I'm not convinced I've got it right.

My old dog, a Tibetan Terrier cross was 17.5 years, which is a really good age and I suspect I left it a bit too long... trouble was, every time I psyched myself up to do the deed... I'd catch her on her back having a scratch or something like that... so I'd convince myself to leave it a bit longer.

This time around I hope I timed it a bit better...trouble was the vet and nurse had to do it in the back of my truck in the car park...and the dog looked directly at me and wagged it's tail at me.

I felt somewhat rotten....(under statement alert).

It was the correct thing to do of course and the decision making was backed up by the vet.

Puupy love - Zero

>> Yesterday I had to take the 14 yr English Springer Spaniel to the vet on
>> a one way journey, which wasn't nice

You have my sympathies,

.. so the puppy is good for the household.

That will be a help.
 Puupy love - Westpig
>> You have my sympathies,

Thank you

>> That will be a help.

It is, especially for the 7 year old. He was well upset when I told him... more than I thought he would be.

The puppy is a healthy distraction.
 Puupy love - Dog
>>Yesterday I had to take the 14 yr English Springer Spaniel to the vet on a one way journey, which wasn't nice.. so the puppy is good for the household.

Sorry to here that Sarge. Our Ridgeback is 15 in June, he can't go walkies anymore though due to his rear suspension. I look after him though.

I've seen T/Terriers in the WMN, not Terriers at all of course.

Um, no one has answered my question about a larger puppy being possibly a better bet than his smaller sib :)
 Puupy love - Zero

>> Um, no one has answered my question about a larger puppy being possibly a better
>> bet than his smaller sib :)

At 5 weeks they are developing at different rates so you can't tell, but my goldie was apparently the smallest of the litter, and for a goldie is on the smaller side. I suspect tho, being small has given it a shed load of attitude. Being a smaller dog it will live longer too.
 Puupy love - Dog
Thanks Zero.

>>being small has given it a shed load of attitude.

Like my missus :o)
 Puupy love - Westpig
>> I've seen T/Terriers in the WMN, not Terriers at all of course.

Might have been the same advert I responded to. Relative saw the advert, I rang, did my background checks and went to a fantastic old farm on Dartmoor, something like you'd see in 'Jamaica Inn'... near Tavistock.

Kennel Club were very, very helpful on the phone by the way..gave me some spot on advice, as it was over 25 years since I'd bought a dog...(inherited the 2 Springers when I met my wife 10 years ago).

Edit: WMN = Western Morning News
Last edited by: Westpig on Wed 18 Mar 15 at 16:18
 Puupy love - Dog
>>Might have been the same advert I responded to

Could well be the same Wp .. tel. no. 01822 820310

Re: the olde farm, I'm at present reading a book written by Sabine Baring Gould called Cornish Characters and Strange Events, tis very interesting indeed, different world 2-400 years ago!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabine_Baring-Gould

You phoned the KC, that's interesting. I check out their site on a regular basis, but I wasn't aware y'all could phone them.
Last edited by: Dog on Wed 18 Mar 15 at 16:35
 Puupy love - Westpig
>> Could well be the same Wp .. tel. no. 01822 820310

Yep, that's the one.

>> You phoned the KC, that's interesting. I check out their site on a regular basis,
>> but I wasn't aware y'all could phone them.

Neither did I.

I tried checking their website for the information I'd gleaned from the seller on the phone.. but failed... so thought 'sod it' i'll ring them.

An extremely helpful young lady confirmed the names and numbers of the parents of the dog I now have... and the name of the breeder... and gave me some general advice which was most welcome.
 Puupy love - Armel Coussine
Further up this thread, I note the presence of a partial thaw in relations between Westpig and Zero, whose interminable wrangles have amused and bored us for so long.

Amazing how pets can bring people together, melting the hearts of the most cynical and hard-nosed characters.

On a related note, a cousin-in-law came past with a handful of hair from a briar or bit of barbed wire this morning. She thought it was deer fur, but it could just as well have been badger from its general colour.
 Puupy love - Dog
This is a site I like Wp, because it usually includes photos and you can check the mutts pedigree:

www.champdogs.co.uk/breeds/tibetan-terrier/puppies
 Puupy love - Westpig
>> This is a site I like Wp, because it usually includes photos and you can
>> check the mutts pedigree:

This is my mutts great grandad:

tinyurl.com/pkhvvo2
 Puupy love - Bromptonaut
>> This is my mutts great grandad:
>>
>> tinyurl.com/pkhvvo2

Sort of canine push-me-pull you?
 Puupy love - MD
>> Alas the Labradoodle,takes the Poodles fur and scattyness and the Labs lack of brains, and
>> puts them together.
>>
OY!
 Puupy love - BobbyG
When we got our puppy there were only 2 left out of the seven.
So had a 50/50 choice.

Know / have met most of the other owners since and by all accounts we have either got the best of the litter, or are the best trainers!

Worst one seems to be the pup that the owner of the mother kept - it chewed her kitchen to bits. A very expensive kitchen!
 Puupy love - Dog
Some breeders, like the breeder of Standard Schnauzers I was in touch with before xmas, actually allocate you a puppy rather than you pick one.

This ad though certainly 'takes the biscuit' IMO. She only wants £1200 for it, and as a prospective buyer, she wants you to 'jump through hoops' to be in with any chance of acquiring said mutt.

You just gotta read the whole ad!

www.pets4homes.co.uk/classifieds/889249-quality-9-month-pale-ch-sired-bitch-puppy-truro.html
 Puupy love - Dutchie
You pick the dog you want that is not up to the breeder.I wanted a dog again the missus isn't keen.We just lost our cat so we are pet free,probably stays that way.

I might start a aquarium again.Had one years ago not to big and keep it simple.If she let's me >:)
 Puupy love - Zero

>> This ad though certainly 'takes the biscuit' IMO. She only wants £1200 for it, and
>> as a prospective buyer, she wants you to 'jump through hoops' to be in with
>> any chance of acquiring said mutt.

I like that add. A ,lot of that is tongue in cheek, but mostly good sense check. Its not like a puppy being sold, thats a 9 month old house trained pedigree dog, they don't come round often.

The owner is saying its not going to any old tom dick and harry, and good on them.

Puupy love - Dog
>>I like that add. A ,lot of that is tongue in cheek, but mostly good sense check

I spoke to her last year actually when she had a younger golden for rehoming. She lives in N. Cornwall and was looking for a 'Top' Notch' home for said pup, so we now refer to her as top notch.

Nice enough person, she wanted us to take Milo over to walk in the park with the dog, but of course I wouldn't dream of putting him in the back of the Sub in his condition.

Lots of golden pups available right now I've noticed - it must be Spring!
 Puupy love - Zero

>> Nice enough person, she wanted us to take Milo over to walk in the park
>> with the dog, but of course I wouldn't dream of putting him in the back
>> of the Sub in his condition.

You think maybe its time for Milo to take a walk over Rainbow Bridge? If he can't go out for at least a potter, how is he going to cope with a puppy?
 Puupy love - Dog
>>take a walk over Rainbow Bridge

Well, he's still alive, sleeps 23.5 hours a day. He goes out on the lawn twice a day to do his business.

I'm hoping to come down one morning and find him dead.

I know this is going to sound awful, but I've considered getting a farmer to come and shoot him in the head.

I wouldn't mind 'going out' that way myself actually, rather than all that faffing about.

The thought of taking him to the vet, or having him come here to 'dispatch' him don't do a lot for me tbh.
I'd probably crack!
 Puupy love - Dog
I'll take a video of him later on. Just taken him out for a pee, his back legs are very stiff, but he does still have some quality of life. He can hang on here for a little bit longer.
 Puupy love - Dutchie
How old is he Dog? You know when it is time for him to go always so sad to loose a good friend.

Puupy love - Dog
>>How old is he Dog? You know when it is time for him to go always so sad to loose a good friend.

He is 15 in June, Dutchie - good age, for a large breed. We have had him from a pup.
 Puupy love - Dutchie
That is a good age for a decent size Dog.Usually the back legs go don't they.

If it's time a injection Dog as long you are with him and hold him he will be fine.That is what I used to do.I don't have the courage anymore to go through this old age creeping up.
 Puupy love - Dog
>>Dog as long you are with him and hold him he will be fine.That is what I used to do. I don't have the courage anymore to go through this old age creeping up.

Neither do I Dutchie, that's why a short-sharp-shot could be a better bet. They shoot horses, don't they?
 Puupy love - Fenlander
>>>They shoot horses, don't they?

They do but it's not a great experience. With their height and weight if they are still standing is distressing to have them crumple to the ground and then there's a fairly rough/undignified winch into the trailer and off for carcass disposal.

It's sad to have a dog put down but we do so at home with injection and then bury them, digging a proper deep hole acts as a distraction.

Both our families would shoot their own dogs up to the 1960s and one farming lot still do when the time comes.

>>>Some breeders, like the breeder of Standard Schnauzers I was in touch with before xmas, actually allocate you a puppy rather than you pick one.

That's mostly true of the spitz types we've always kept. They are so relatively rare by the time the breeder and friends have reserved the show potential ones and local contacts have taken what they perceive the best of the rest each time we've effectively ended up with a choice of one.

This has worked fine with three dogs over the past 37yrs all having great personalities, being fantastic house dogs & companions, hardly a health issue between the three of them either.

I believe a large amount of their behaviour and personality is aided by a caring and relaxed home and our experience has been by the time they are two their core personalities have ended up quite similar despite their differences as puppies.

Last edited by: Fenlander on Thu 19 Mar 15 at 10:53
 Puupy love - Dog
We do have a small piece of land here (called a lawn) bit rough though, more like a small paddock really so Milo would RIP there.

When you say "we do so at home with injection" do you mean you call the vet in to do the dreaded deed?

Spitz! .. don't talk to me about Spitz breeds ;) I've been searching high & low for various types of Spitz breeds, there are many, as you know) gold dust and hens teeth springs to mind.

I've even looked for Shiba Inus lately, without result ... plenty of Labs, Cockers, and Goldens about though.
 Puupy love - Fenlander
Oh yes the vet does the injection at home. It's not great waiting for the knock on the door and then the process but our view is if they've given you 10-15 years companionship it's the least you can do.

We've chatted about spitz types before and you might remember their variants which suit us are all we will ever have up to our last dog. However the spitz breeds do have two sides... the house companions and watch types like we choose and the more difficult to deal with, potentially disobedient or more assertive types.

Despite its compact size the Shiba Inu can come into the latter group and a "bad" one can be very strong willed with assertive and destructive tendencies. Having a decent size garden and being at home all day will enable you to minimise these issues but the level of wilful destructiveness when they are young can take some dealing with.

I speak from experience of a friend who bred them being the person who introduced us to the spitz dogs and our first Keeshond, our best dog so far. She's now moved from the Shiba to another spitz type to give herself an easier time.

Puupy love - Dog
Yes, I wouldn't want breeds which are perceived as aggressive, like say the Akita, or even a Staffie. I know of course, that 'in the right hands' they can be perfectly ok, but, with me, it's having some other dog owners thinking I own an aggressive breed of dog.

I used to think like that back in the 80's when I had a Cocker, I used to keep well-away from anyone who had a Doberman ... Then I got a Doberman :)

I've had a GSD too, so I reckon I can handle any breed of dog, hence my name :o)

This is what I was originally going to go for www.pets4homes.co.uk/classifieds/895049-knightpips-chocolate-labrador-litter-has-arrived-liskeard.html in fact we were due to go along on Sunday, to have 'the pick', but, well, 15 years ago when I got Milo, I just 'did it' without thinking too much about it (no regrets!) but these days, well, I'm getting a bit long-in-the-tooth now I suppose.

:}
 Puupy love - No FM2R
>>so Milo would RIP there.

Think carefully Doug.

Is it possible you will move? Ever/ Who knows what can happen when you no longer have ownership or control of the land.
 Puupy love - Dog
>> Think carefully Doug. Is it possible you will move?

Most definitely, but the area I would place him, isn't like a 'normal' lawn like 'normal' people have, it's a rough area that I do actually mow - on a high cutting, and I would, um, bury him DEEP.
 Puupy love - Fenlander
>> Think carefully Dog. Is it possible you will move?

>>>the area I would place him, isn't like a 'normal' lawn like 'normal' people have, it's a rough area that I do actually mow - on a high cutting, and I would, um, bury him DEEP.

Yep nothing is forever so you just make the best choice of place. The last two dogs are buried in a tree belt in the middle of the fens on a bit of land we sold unexpectedly just after the second dog was put there. But we chose the least likely location to be disturbed and went very deep.

We buried our horse ashes deep (in a small dog size wooden box) at the base of a tree in the large garden of our previous house again where it was least likely to be disturbed.

At this current place we have a very modest "cul-de-sac" garden but I'd still reckon to find a place the current dog should be safe.
 Puupy love - Dog
Ready for the knackers yard yet?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvVFPD5BAPU&feature=youtu.be
 Puupy love - Crankcase
You have room on your gravel for a miniature Stonehenge, Dog. I can't imagine why you haven't done that.
 Puupy love - Fenlander
>>>a miniature Stonehenge

A friend of ours just 10mins from here with a bit of time on his hands has built this over the past couple of years....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XugpsYjiIIk

I can imagine it and the events held there a Dog sort of thing.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Thu 19 Mar 15 at 16:00
 Puupy love - Crankcase
That's actually quite groovy, Fen. Had no idea that was a hop and skip up the road.
 Puupy love - Dog
>>I can imagine it and the events held there a Dog sort of thing.

Hahaha! .. Howl right you are Fl. I have an on-line gf in Spain and we're both very connected spiritually.
I'll have to send her that excellent quality video.
 Puupy love - Zero
>> >>>a miniature Stonehenge
>>
>>
>> A friend of ours just 10mins from here with a bit of time on his
>> hands has built this over the past couple of years....

Well its somewhere for the UFOs to land I suppose. Gives them an alternate to Alconbury or Thetford forest.
 Puupy love - Crankcase
Rendlesham Forest was the landing, aka lighthouse.

Thetford was just the "ooh, I saw a bike light and deduced it was from another galaxy"
 Puupy love - Fenlander
>>> somewhere for the UFOs to land I suppose

Indeed and the locals may well be receptive to alien... err... visits. I used to live there and walking the dog late at night would often find a bit of probing going on under the rail bridge over the back lane.
 Puupy love - Zero
>> >>> somewhere for the UFOs to land I suppose
>>
>> Indeed and the locals may well be receptive to alien... err... visits. I used to
>> live there and walking the dog late at night would often find a bit of
>> probing going on under the rail bridge over the back lane.

That was BSTD

Bog Standard Terrestrial Dogging
 Puupy love - Dog
I've seen many mini Stone henges in Cornish gardens o'er the years, they've taken over from gnomes :}

I did have 4 very nice granite mushroom at a previous place which I left behind. Good ones fetch good money down here these days.
 Puupy love - Fenlander
>>>. Had no idea that was a hop and skip up the road.

Yep PE28 5YL. Not showing on Google sat image yet but where the white tents are just north of the farm buildings in the wedge shaped field. Private site so no public access unless a public event is being held.... semi invite only sort of thing usually.

goo.gl/maps/27mM6
Last edited by: Fenlander on Thu 19 Mar 15 at 16:24
 Puupy love - Crankcase
>>semi invite only sort of thing usually.

Unless you're going to yoga or reiki, perhaps (according to their website).

Puupy love - Fenlander
Yes that was what I was meaning really.... or even if you just ask the guy to have a respectful look round. It was built largely in memory of his wife who sadly died in her middle years.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Thu 19 Mar 15 at 16:37
 Puupy love - Dog
I know of stone circles which are well orf the beaten track, being a friend is an archaeologist.

This one is still used at 'certain times' of the year: preview.tinyurl.com/nrg62cx
 Puupy love - Zero
>> Ready for the knackers yard yet?
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvVFPD5BAPU&feature=youtu.be

Well as long as you are sure he is not in any pain. No way could he cope with a pup tho.
 Puupy love - Dog
>>Well as long as you are sure he is not in any pain.

Nay, I don't believe he is in pain, or I'd shuffle him off. Would you say he has hip dysplasia, or just arthritis?

>>No way could he cope with a pup tho.

*If* I did take on a pup, especially one of those chunky brown Labs, I wouldn't let him give Milo any ag.

I wouldn't let Milo take a chunk out of any pup either come to that.

Puupy love - Zero
>> >>Well as long as you are sure he is not in any pain.
>>
>> Nay, I don't believe he is in pain, or I'd shuffle him off. Would you
>> say he has hip dysplasia, or just arthritis?

I would say - and don't forget I am no vet - That looks like arthritis of the spine, he can't feel his back legs from the looks of it.

>> >>No way could he cope with a pup tho.
>>
>> *If* I did take on a pup, especially one of those chunky brown Labs, I
>> wouldn't let him give Milo any ag.
>>
>> I wouldn't let Milo take a chunk out of any pup either come to that.

You are not listening to me, you can't have a feisty pup and a dog on its last legs. Its not fair on the pup and its not fair on Milo.
 Puupy love - Dog
Okey dokey guvnor, cheers.
 Puupy love - MD
Listen to him Doggo.
 Puupy love - Fenlander
>>> feisty pup and a dog on its last legs. Its not fair on the pup and its not fair on Milo.

Yep he's right.

One of the few animal mistakes we've made was overlapping the current dog with the previous one in his last year of life. As the puppy became a lively young dog the old one went down month by month and we had to manage the situation to avoid distress to the old dog and this caused some puzzlement to the young one. We've only really got one more dog in us (two at a push) after the current one and will make sure we don't do it again.
 Puupy love - Dog
>>Listen to him Doggo.

Goddit!
 Puupy love - Roger.
Incinerate people's left over bits - bury dog's?
 Puupy love - Westpig
>> You are not listening to me, you can't have a feisty pup and a dog
>> on its last legs. Its not fair on the pup and its not fair on
>> Milo.
>>

We tried it, naively.........and it wasn't a good move.

O.K. We had no idea the old dog had less than a week to go, but nevertheless in hindsight it was still a no-no.

The new dog wanted to muck about and play all the time and we thought maybe the old dog might like a pup around and it would pep her up a bit.

She didn't like it at all, it bothered her and it would have been very unfair to continue.

Luckily we'd let the old dog have a bit of the house we don't use much and made her space and bed in the shower of a downstairs loo that's in a corridor sealed off with a door (because my daughter was a playful nuisance with her when she was a toddler).... so the old girl could snooze out there in peace.
 Puupy love - Dog
>> we thought maybe the old dog might like a pup around and it would pep her up a bit.

That's what I was thinking too. A breeder of Malinois suggested the same, but all the other breeders didn't like the idea at all.

I'm still lighting the multi-fuel daily, so he lays in front of that most of the day. I think he's got the right idea actually.

:+)
 Puupy love - Dutchie
Good advice to take in Dog.Let the old Dog have his time with you.No young pup to bother him now.
 Puupy love - Dog
>>Good advice to take in Dog.Let the old Dog have his time with you.No young pup to bother him now.

There's plenty of life in the old Dog yet.

;-)
 Puupy love - Dog
>>Alas the labradoodle,takes the Poodles fur and scattyness and the labs lack of brains, and puts them together.

Goldens can be pretty thick too it seems:

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newsvideo/viral-video/11491287/Fritz-the-Golden-Retriever-is-terrible-at-catching-food.html
 Puupy love - Zero
My goldie is very bright, but yes she absolutely USELESS with a capital YEW at catching stuff - even food.

I had though about making a video but it seems I was beaten to it.

Might be able to get onto the trend tho!
 Puupy love - Dog
I reckon a dopey dog might well suit me = a couple of dopes!

Reason I say that is because Munsters & Rizlas are mainly bred for work. Sure I know Labs & Goldens are too but, not as much as the former so, one has to invest a lot of time exercising and mentally stimulating them, whereas Milo is quite content to lay in front of the fire 24/7.
 Puppy love - Dog
These aren't even Bjorn yet, so wont be ready 'til June. Just wondering if anyone living in the, um, Ivybridge area knows anything about the merchant:

www.champdogs.co.uk/litter/36193
 Puppy love - Westpig
>> These aren't even Bjorn yet, so wont be ready 'til June. Just wondering if anyone
>> living in the, um, Ivybridge area knows anything about the merchant:
>>
>> www.champdogs.co.uk/litter/36193
>>
Sorry, no I don't know about the vendor... Ivybridge is nearing a population of 12,000 now and I live a couple of miles away out in the sticks.
 Puppy love - Dog
>>Sorry, no I don't know about the vendor... Ivybridge is nearing a population of 12,000 now and I live a couple of miles away out in the sticks.

Thanks Wp. I spoke to him this afternoon, Barry Johns, he has kept Rizlas for 30 years and bred them since the 90's. He goes beating with his dogs apparently.

Puppy love - Dog
Question for someone ... beginning with Z

Having a chinwag with the postman, reckons he has a working Cocker and they are less-mad than the show type.

Is that true of all sherking-type gundogs I wonder, sounds reasonable to me I suppose.
 Puppy love - Zero
Cockers generally are lively - show or working - Ask Pugley.

But, as a rule of thumb, I gofer the working bred variants of any breed. They are generally more intelligent, fitter, much much genetically healthier, hardier, less fussy, but need to be worked to keep them that way.

I cannot abide, nor will I touch, show only pedigree breeds.
 Puppy love - Dog
We had a Cocker funnily enough, back in the '80's .. he was an orange roan, the breeder named him Marmalade ... so we carried on with the name :+)

I'm looking at a light brown Cocker in Dulverton, they don't 'alf want some money for them don't they.

www.champdogs.co.uk/breeder/35984
 Puppy love - Dog
For the attn. of My Z

Sir, is there any reason why I shouldn't pay the required deposit on this dog *without actually seeing the dog first* from this particular breeder who has 2 boy pups, 1 black, 1 chocolate, and Coco is the one I prefer:

K.C. Registered.
With 5 generations of Pedigree Paperwork.
They will be micro chipped.
They will have had their tails docked and dew claws removed.
They will have been inspected by a vet for health checks.
Both their parents have been blood tested/DNA tested and eye tested for any
genetic diseases and are completely clear.
The new owners will get 1 months free insurance.
They have many field trial champions in their bloodlines.
They will have super temperaments(as have both parents) They will make
excellent working/trial dogs or family pets.

I am a Kennel Club Assured Breeder with very strict rules and regulations to
abide by regarding the welfare of dogs and also the breeding of puppies in
relation to genetic diseases.

The above reasons are some of the reasons why my puppies are £900 each.

If you require any further information then please feel free to ask.

P.S. These puppies have no hereditary/genetic diseases unlike some puppies
although they may be Kennel Club registered or from Field Trial Champion
parents.
 Puppy love - Zero
Really can't say Dog, its just words on a screen. Only by seeing the dog and talking to the breeder can you verify in your own mind all that is said. The words say nothing more or less than I would expect from any breeder. If they have field trials champs in the bloodline, the 5 generation family tree should indicate that. You will expect to see one or more of CD ex, TD ex, PD ex, UD ex after the dogs kennel name.

Something pricked my mind there tho - Docked tail? Removed dew claws? what breed is it?
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 26 Mar 15 at 08:30
 Puppy love - Dog
Ah yes! .. it's a Cocker Spaniel.

I've checked the breeder out on the KC site, and she is an 'assured' breeder.

I've also checked the pedigree out on the Champdogs site.

Pups won't be ready until late May.

www.thekennelclub.org.uk/services/public/findapuppy/detail.aspx?con=3985158&lit=4879522&breed=2052&area=8

www.champdogs.co.uk/litter/36286

Puppy love - Zero
Ok well tail docking is permitted on that breed, it sounds to me like an old school breeder. Me personally am strongly against tail docking, there simply isn't any good reason for it. In my book you can use all the arguments you like, but I have a dog with the bushiest tail you have ever seen, and its no problem for her or me even when the dog is diving through hedges and brush of all kinds. Its merely an owner convenience thing so shouldn't be allowed. The tail is a communication tool, you might as well cut its vocal chords.

Ditto no good reason for dew claw removal either.

Made a slight error before, I see they have field trials working in the bloodline, not working trials, you wont see a championship title after the name for that, but you should be able to track down who qualified what if you were so interested.
 Puppy love - Dog
I think breeds that have 'traditionally' had their tails docked do look 'the part' IMO, but it wouldn't concern me if a particular breed I was thinking of getting was docked or not TBH.

Cheers anyway guvnor.

Puppy love - Dog
This is where I'm orf to this afternoon, no wonder she wants £900 for her puppies!!

www.dulvertonexmoorbandb.co.uk/
 Puppy love - MD
Actually Perro if you are really interested I can make an enquiry with a Hunting, Shooting friend in the locality who 'may' well know of the breeder. They quite possibly move in the same circles. Just a thought.
 Puppy love - MD
>> We had a Cocker funnily enough, back in the '80's .. he was an orange
>> roan, the breeder named him Marmalade ... so we carried on with the name :+)
>>
>> I'm looking at a light brown Cocker in Dulverton, they don't 'alf want some money
>> for them don't they.
>>
>> www.champdogs.co.uk/breeder/35984
>>
Nice grammar and spelling in her advert.
 Puppy love - Dog
>>Actually Perro if you are really interested I can make an enquiry with a Hunting, Shooting friend in the locality who 'may' well know of the breeder. They quite possibly move in the same circles. Just a thought.

Well Martine, 4 hours and 230 miles later and here we are - without a fur baby.
They were really, really nice mind, black, chocolate, and golden 1-week old pups, too early to appreciate them at that age of course. Saw the Sire and Dam too, both fine specimens.

He, Barry Turner, delivers horses all over the country, and western Europe too. Susan, runs the B&B, sees to the dogs, runs the gaff in general. Very nice people, Susan comes from Brentwood, Essex, as does my missus, so they were having a right old chinwag.

They live in the sort of farmhouse surrounded by 30 acres, which I drool over on Escape from the Country but I was really glad to get back to Cornwall, as luvly as Somerset is.

Um, the dogs ... on seeing those first class Cockers, I soon decided I need something a bit bigger and more robust, than her fine Cockers. Yes I know Cockers are in no way powder puffs, but they are compared to tough ole Milo here.

So ... the search goes on :o)
 Puppy love - Dutchie
Not your kind of dog me thinks.Spaniel.Forget about it Dog enjoy old Milo till he is gone.
 Puppy love - Dog
Yes, you're right Dutchie, I used to have a Cocker when we lived in London nigh-on 30 years ago, but I moved on a tad since then.

I do look after Milo, but I must have a dog to go with me when I'm out walking, or I tend to look like a prowler.

Puppy love - MD
Doggo. Wise words from the Dutchman.

I am working for a Dutchman now in North Devon. Very nice chap.

On the scaffolding today we had 22 MPH winds. I was tempted to ask him where his windmill was, but...............
 Puppy love - MD
When you mention horse delivery. My friend will know them.

As a complete aside I was at the West Country Game fair at Shepton recently and met a chap who had two Border Terriers cross Jack Russells. Beautiful dogs. I want one, but getting it by the Old Woman, Sorry Brigadier, is going to be a problem. All advice gratefully received.
 Puppy love - Dog
>>All advice gratefully received.

A puppy would soften anyone's heart.
 Puppy love - Dog
I don't believe it ... look what I've just found:

www.pets4homes.co.uk/classifieds/918905-beautiful-kc-regd-rhodesian-ridgeback-puppies-launceston.html
 Puppy love - Roger.
£900 for a DOG?
 Puppy love - Zero
>> £900 for a DOG?

Sold a trained one to Northants Police for 5 grand once
 Puppy love - Dog
>>£900 for a DOG?

I've seen 'em going for £4000 this very week!

The breeder of the Ridgebacks is on to a nice little earner ... 11 x £900 = !!

Better than going a work :o)
 Puppy love - Dutchie
Had a read about the Ridgeback Dog.Cornelias Van Rooyen started this breed a S/African hunter.

£900 isn't a fortune from a good breeder Dog.Milo is getting on he would have been worth it.

They are quite a strongminded Dog aren't they? Easy to look after and like their long walks.

Some of them live up to seventeen years according to the breeders.
 Puppy love - Dog
>>Some of them live up to seventeen years according to the breeders.

17 years! - blimey, he's got another 2 years to go then ;)

Yes, they are strong willed Dutchie, aloof too, independent, bit like me really :)

Not a breed for a first time dog owner either.

Milo cost me £350 15 years ago. The amount of times he's been to the vets I can count on one paw.

I am his vet, as I am my own doctor, he regularly sniffs my skin to give me a health check, all ok so far, he woofs.

And another thing, Milo has never had a wash in 15 years! .. I never brush his coat either, he don't really need it, as their coats are very short-haired.

I've never treated him for fleas, neither have I ever seen a flea on him, or me.

Could I ever consider another breed of dog ... watch this space (*_*)
 Puppy love - MD
Hi Dog,

Who or what are Pets 4 homes?
 Puppy love - Zero
>> Hi Dog,
>>
>> Who or what are Pets 4 homes?

www.pets4homes.co.uk/about-us/
 Puppy love - Dog
Hiya MD,

Pets4homes is a website where you can advertise any pet, from a rat, to a reptile, for free.

Being as it's free, I'm wary of any dog advertised on the site, especially the £900 jobbies!

The other free website I run my mince pies over is Champdogs, as you can check out the history of the breeders and their dogs but, as my ole mate Don used to say "don't believe anything you hear, and only half of what you see".

:-)

www.pets4homes.co.uk/

www.champdogs.co.uk/
 Puppy love - R.P.
I've owned both types. The Working Cocker is now 8.5 years old. Very bright, very switched on, Much more so than my old show type Cocker. He's reasonably fit, suffered some minor problems early last year.

He runs miles most day and carries no extra weight. He eats sparingly as he has ever since I've had him.

He has a grumpy nature. I'm given to understand this is normal in this particular breed. He is much better since we had the Springer - he has a zest for life and has only slowed down a little of late Great house dog, bit needy though ;-)

The Show Cocker was a different character, she seemed old before her time but certainly less grumpy.
 Puppy love - Dog
I don't think the Cocker pups I saw yesterday were working types. I saw the Sire and Dam, and they looked slighter, softer, and prettier than the Standard Poodle I saw last week.

They gave me copies of their pedigrees to read, and I made the effort to look suitably impressed,
even though I couldn't actually read the damn things without my glasses.

Puppy love - Dog
Any offers on £5,850:

www.pets4homes.co.uk/classifieds/899589-blue-and-tan-boys-x-2-at-a-dd-ky-ky-no-brindle-plymouth.html
 Puppy love - Zero
>> Any offers on £5,850:
>>
>> www.pets4homes.co.uk/classifieds/899589-blue-and-tan-boys-x-2-at-a-dd-ky-ky-no-brindle-plymouth.html

You'll need twice that in vets bills, nasty deformed little things.
 Puppy love - Dog
>>You'll need twice that in vets bills, nasty deformed little things.

Same with the British Bulldog, they looked nothing like they do now, originally:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulldog#/media/File:Philip_Reinagle_-_Bulldog.jpg
 Puppy love - Focusless
>> Any offers on £5,850:
>>
>> www.pets4homes.co.uk/classifieds/899589-blue-and-tan-boys-x-2-at-a-dd-ky-ky-no-brindle-plymouth.html

Jeez for that money you'd think they'd make the effort to write proper sentences!
 Puppy love - hjd
>> Jeez for that money you'd think they'd make the effort to write proper sentences!
>>
They probably think that what they have written is in proper sentences!
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 1 Apr 15 at 10:10
 Puppy love - DP
£5,850?? What are they smoking?
 Puppy love - Dog
"Going at a great price" according to the ad, so, grab a bargain, while you can!
 Puppy love - Zero
>> £5,850?? What are they smoking?

Its a designer dog, Ugly chelsea women carry them in little shoulder bags, its so ugly it makes its owner appear pretty.
 Puppy love - DP
Baffling. I'll stick with my grumpy old Heinz 57. :-)
 Puppy love - Dog
£8500 www.pets4homes.co.uk/classifieds/919945-stunning-blue-and-tan-girl-for-sale-now-plymouth.html

WTF!
 Puppy love - Focusless
>> WTF!

Is that a comment on the price, or the grammar? :)

Of course it's up to them - if they haven't had any trouble selling them in the past then there's no reason they should spend additional time/effort on cosmetics.
 Puppy love - Dog
>>Is that a comment on the price, or the grammar? :)

:+)

That price, presumably, is due to the fact that the b-itch can be bred from, and hence maketh mucho spondulics
 Puppy love - Zero
>> £8500 www.pets4homes.co.uk/classifieds/919945-stunning-blue-and-tan-girl-for-sale-now-plymouth.html
>>
>> WTF!

Well if you will go round looking at poncy designer handbags dogs, then you are going to see poncy designer prices.

I think what you need is a collie. A nice black and white girl border collie.
 Puppy love - Dog
>> I think what you need is a collie. A nice black and white girl border collie.

I like collies actually, have done for years. They are numero uno on the dog intelligence scale, I believe.

My friend Lauri (the leather man) had a collie for 18 years.

The thing that bothers me about collies is, being they are soooo intelligent and energetic, they are more suitable as working dogs really, and don't make ideal pets - unless you are prepared to work them.

I'm prepared to walk a dog for 2 hours or more per day, throw a ball or a frisbee etc. bout I don't want to get involved in agility classes.
 Puppy love - Zero
Two hours a day, if that includes a ball and chuckit stick, is ample.
 Puppy love - Dutchie
I must have been about 14 long time ago now when I got Terry.From a proper breeder I travelled about two hrs by train to pick him up.A Irish Terrier what a unbelievable fit dog when he grew up.I used to take him for walks for hrs.His problem was he would fight any male Dog no matter how big they where.

The neighbour who lived below our flat they had a travel agency owned a Aire Dale terrier.Big powerfull Dog I used to take him for walks.He was far more placid than Terriy took everything in his stride.Dogs must be like the people who breed them Irish temper and Yorkshire take it as it comes.
 Puppy love - Dog
I've been looking out for an Irish Terrier, they are as rare as hens teeth apparently.

I've considered an Airedale too - the KING of Terriers. I'll probably end up with a Terrapin though, I had one when I was a kyd, kept it in a small fish tank with some water at the bottom and some small rocks etc. for it to climb on.

I found it nipples up in the water one morning, and that was the end of that :(
 Puppy love - Dog
Geezer in Cornwall has a litter of 12 Rhodesian Ridgebacks se vende.

They are almost 6 weeks old and I was due to have 2nd pick of litter this coming Saturday.

Geezer phones yesterday to say the b-itch was digging in the garden and contracted sarcoptic mange :(

All 12 pups have it now too and are in the process of being treated by the vet.

I'm sure they'll all be okay eventually - but I wouldn't touch one now (900 sovs btw!) because being they are so young - who knows what long-term damage the mite infection has caused and, the drugs used to clear the infection, which could well be a type of organophosphate, could do some long-term neurological damage to such a young pup.

Sad for the geezer (Andy) though - nice chap.
 Puppy love - Dog
That's it then, we've gorn for one of these: rossacrelabradors.co.uk/puppies.html only a couple of days old at the moment, and we've been 'allocated' one rather than being able to pick one.
Just got to hang on now until they are 8 weeks young.
 Puppy love - Pat
What about Milo?

Pat
 Puppy love - Dog
>>What about Milo?

Um, I intend to crate-train 'Cody', which is something I've always been against funnily enough, but I've read www.dogforum.co.uk/ positive results from people that do use them, and the pups see the crate as their refuge.

Sure, Cody could drive Milo to distraction with his exuberance, but I wont let that happen.

I can't say how it's gonna be of course, until Cody arrives, but I would never leave the two alone.

I need a dog see, mans best friend. I've not had a decent walk now for about 6 months :)
 Puppy love - Zero

Consider this doggo, I would suggest that when the new pup arrives you get the vet to lead Milo on his final walk over rainbow bridge. Its the right thing to do for you, Milo, and the pup.
 Puppy love - Dog
I really, really don't want to do that, Zed. It's all about quality of life - for dogs, and us, when it comes to the end.
He sleeps 23 hours a day, but we take him out every evening for a walk up THAT hill. He's eating okay, he doesn't appear to be in any pain and, he still barks at the postman.

I'd like to come down one morning and find that he has 'slipped away' quietly during the night.
 Puppy love - Zero
>> I really, really don't want to do that, Zed. It's all about quality of life
>> - for dogs, and us, when it comes to the end.

Exactly and the pup will destroy Milos quality of life and you will end up with a pup that does not know how to socialise with another dog. The pup will see milo and expect him to teach it, teach it how to play, how to fight, how to use those teeth correctly and at some stage in 12 months time, if Milo is still around there is going to be a tussle for dominance.

You are being very very stupid here doggo and flying in the face of good advice from everyone.
 Puppy love - Pat
>>>You are being very very stupid here doggo and flying in the face of good advice from everyone.<<

.....and very unfair to Milo who has given you a lifetime of love and devotion.

Pat
 Puppy love - Dog
>>
You are being very very stupid here doggo and flying in the face of good advice from everyone.

.....and very unfair to Milo who has given you a lifetime of love and devotion.

Milo will always be number 1.

I appreciate all the good advice from everyone but, you don't know Milo, or the situation here.
I'm going to take Cody to puppy classes to socialise him - something I've never done with a dog before. Cody wont be here for another two months anyway, and anything could happen by then.

I don't have to hand over any green folding stuff until Cody is about 5 weeks old so, I/we will be giving your advice much thought over the coming weeks.
Last edited by: Dog on Sat 25 Apr 15 at 09:18
 Puppy love - Robbie34
Good on you Dog. Milo deserves your unconditional love.

Some time ago Zero said I should put down my Cocker Spaniel, who was then two, because of the cost of his medication for Epilepsy. No way would I even consider that. Henry is now four, but he's my dog and my responsibility.
 Puppy love - Dog
Cheers Robbie. As I say, Milo will always be number one, and I shall look after him until the bitter end.

Puppy love - Zero
>> Good on you Dog. Milo deserves your unconditional love.
>>
>> Some time ago Zero said I should put down my Cocker Spaniel, who was then
>> two, because of the cost of his medication for Epilepsy. No way would I even
>> consider that. Henry is now four, but he's my dog and my responsibility.

And so, being responsible, I doubt you would inflict a puppy on an ailing dog.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 25 Apr 15 at 11:46
 Puppy love - MD
Sorry Doggo, but I am sure that Zed is so right on this. Good luck whichever way you jump.
 Puppy love - Dog
Cheers Martine, the Labrador is off the menu now anyway, as I wasn't happy with the Dams hip score.

I'm after one of these now www.champdogs.co.uk/litter/36593 due to be born next week.
 Puppy love - Dog
I likes this vert seen in the western mourning news:

German Spitz cross 2 male puppies, mother German Spitz, father very determined terrier from down the road! Lovely outgoing temperaments, one dark brown, the other light brown. Mother does agility, father chases bitches! suit active pet or agility homes, ready now £200 Tel: 0140** 281556 or 075** 919989
 Puppy love - Fenlander
Only really noticed this as it was a German Spitz you mentioned Dog but it caused me to Google to see if I could find a pic... some crosses are OK but many a disaster of conformation.

Anyway didn't find the ad or a pic but Google led me to this ad for rehoming...

www.dogsblog.com/ben-133/

Have a read of the bit below his pic... no wonder he doesn't like his back end brushed!
 Puppy love - Dog
>>Have a read of the bit below his pic... no wonder he doesn't like his back end brushed!

Good grief! - how awful for the poor mutt :(

This is the ad I saw this morning for the German Spitz cross:

classifieds.westernmorningnews.co.uk/search/pets-corner/dogs/class%20C0040/details%2021413201#.VUuJ73r9Euk

And on doing a search on the phone number, I came up with:

www.champdogs.co.uk/breeder/252
 Puppy love - Dog
Um, sorry to drag y'all away from "The Good News" but does anybuddy have any experience/knowledge of the Airedale Terrier?
 Puppy love - commerdriver
Had an Airedale bitch years ago when our kids were small, lovely dog, very good natured with adults, children and other dogs, no real behaviour problems, impossible to tire out however far we walked her but laid quietly for train journey from Marlow - Glasgow and back with a walk part way when we changed trains.
Ours had fairly dark coat which was very low maintenance.
Highly recommended
 Puppy love - Dog
Thanks commer, that just about sums up all that I've read about the breed. They also have guard/personal protection capabilities I see, which may come in handy 'up here', should the need ever arise.

I'll keep y'all informed :)
 Puppy love - MD
>> Um, sorry to drag y'all away from "The Good News" but does anybuddy have any
>> experience/knowledge of the Airedale Terrier?
>>
Alright as a Bog Brush. It's got 4 'andles so you shouldn't drop it in. :-0)
 Puppy love - Dog
>>Alright as a Bog Brush. It's got 4 'andles so you shouldn't drop it in. :-0)

S'okay guv, I'm on private drainage so could, um, retrieve it at t'other end.

Had my tank emptied only yesterday = 120 sovs. where there's muck there's brass.!
 Puppy love - MD
120. That's not unreasonable (if) they do the job correctly.

Just my op, but you seem to be switching between all manner of breeds in the doggy department. Don't just jump in and get it wrong Mucker. It can be an eternity with the wrong dog. All the best..........Martine!
 Puppy love - Dog
>>120. That's not unreasonable (if) they do the job correctly.

A local bod did the job, he was recommended by neighb who is a Cornish as the Mên-an-Tol.

I'm on a waiting list for a black lab from a breeder in Camelford, but I haven't handed over any green folding stuff yet. The Flat-Coated Retriever breeder contacted me today to say the litter is small so all pups are spoken for. I'm looking at the Airedales because we have always admired the breed, and being a Terrier, it would be a totally different, um, ball game, compared to a gundog.
The R/Ridgebacks I was interested in all contracted Fox mange, so I knocked that idea on the head.
 Puppy love - Dog
After going through all the breeds of dog, we ended up getting a black & white English Pointer pup.

Picked him up today from Newton Abbot from this breeder:

www.champdogs.co.uk/dog/40090

He is in his cage fast asleep at the moment, with Milo laying next to the cage keeping a steady eye on Cody.

He is gonna be a stunner when he gets older, I reckon.
 Puppy love - Zero
Ok, its a working dog. That means you have to work it. Get it house trained (using the cage) Do your basic training, sit, down, stay, recall, and then get your ass down to your local Field Trials club.
 Puppy love - Armel Coussine
>> Ok, its a working dog. That means you have to work it.

Shudder... I like dogs, but don't fancy being worked by one. Too old and idle. Walking up and down behind a self-propelled lawn mower and turning it round at the end of each stripe is quite enough exercise for me these days.

Pointers are nice though. Most gundogs have brains.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sat 16 May 15 at 17:54
 Puppy love - Dog
He's 9 weeks old at the mo, I'll check out some local puppy classes on Monday for starters.

These crates are a great idea though, I've never used one before, but he seems to like it in there.

He's only been here for 5 hours but I've noticed he certainly does have brains, and he uses them too!!
 Puppy love - Dog
Calling My Zed sir.

I've reserved one of these billy mates for Cody and wondered if you have any info on them at all at all:

www.champdogs.co.uk/litter/37248
 Puppy love - Zero
Seen them working shutzhund, but thats all.
 Puppy love - Zero
edit, Oh and the one I met had less brains than Santa's little Helper.
 Puppy love - Dog
>>edit, Oh and the one I met had less brains than Santa's little Helper.

Not unlike English Pointers then!!
 Puppy love - Dog
>>the one I met had less brains than Santa's little Helper.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xESyR6RwsI0

;-)
 Puppy love - Dog
I spoke to Gail, the breeder last night and she was telling me about a French version of shutzhund where a frog comes at the Beauceron with a big stick above his head and expects le mutt to remain calm. Then he comes straight back and pats the dog on the head. Impressive stuff!
 Puppy love - Zero
>> I spoke to Gail, the breeder last night and she was telling me about a
>> French version of shutzhund where a frog comes at the Beauceron with a big stick
>> above his head and expects le mutt to remain calm. Then he comes straight back
>> and pats the dog on the head. Impressive stuff!

Sounds like Mondioring. Fantastic dog sport, great to watch and compete in.
 Puppy love - Dog
Goldorak de la Noe d Orient, the sire of my pup, is obviously from Frogland. Gail went to France to have him do the biz with her dog Solo. I was thinking of getting a b-itch for Cody and calling the offspring Bointers or Pointerons.

Mondioring - www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFr0umsPgvs
 Puppy love - Dutchie
English pointer just had a read about the kind of breed it is.Spanish background with foxhound blood mixed in later years.

They need lot's of exercise and are good family dogs.Good choice if you are fit enough.

Puppy love - Dog
>>They need lot's of exercise and are good family dogs.Good choice if you are fit enough.

Ideal then for an old geezer with HBP :o)
 Puppy love - Zero
Since I got a young active dog, I have lost 7 kilos and 3 inches off my waist.
 Puppy love - Dog
I'll catch you up with that guvnor, one day! .. I'm not taking Cody out walking 'til he is 6 months old because his hips are still forming/developing at 4 months old.

I know you wouldn't agree with that, but he has a large enclosed area here to romp around in + we play ball with him daily, so he is getting some exercise inc. running at speed {boy is he fast!]
 Puppy love - Zero
>> I'll catch you up with that guvnor, one day! .. I'm not taking Cody out
>> walking 'til he is 6 months old because his hips are still forming/developing at 4
>> months old.
>>
>> I know you wouldn't agree with that,

I do agree that its wise not to over exercise a young dog, but not taking him out to socialise is a very serious mistake.
 Puppy love - Dog
>>not taking him out to socialise is a very serious mistake.

I did take him to puppy classes and he got on okay with the other mutts, even the nasty little Cairn Terror.
 Puppy love - Dog
Beau and Cody The Movie: www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDiOKHHy51c&feature=youtu.be

'Scuse the state of the gaff.

Puppy love - Dog
In The Movie: m.flickr.com/#/photos/43576259@N04/21059642488/

:-D
 Puppy love - Focusless
Cute :)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=rncPvrUCvBE
 Puppy love - Dog
That's just what they're like too! .. um gonna get three more dogs, when we win the lottery.
 Puppy love - Focusless
Heart-breaking story:
www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/dog-realises-he-was-adopted-20150917102017

:)
 Puppy love - Dog
Heart-breaking story in the vets this morning. There were we getting our pup vaccinated, and a woman had her 15 year old dog wrapped in a blanket waiting for the long goodbye :(

They had a chart on the wall showing dogs ages in human terms. Milo was 91 when he 'passed'.
 Puppy love - Westpig
>> a woman had her 15 year old dog wrapped in a blanket waiting for the
>> long goodbye :(

When I took our 13.5 year old Springer to the vet recently, for the last time... they came and did the deed in the back of my truck!

I wasn't expecting that... and she gave me her 'look' as they did it. Not something I'd wish to repeat if i'm honest, but hey ho, sometimes it's 'needs must'.
 Puppy love - Dog
Howl long before it comes to this: www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOV8mBjHHYg
 Puppy love - Zero
>> Heart-breaking story in the vets this morning. There were we getting our pup vaccinated, and
>> a woman had her 15 year old dog wrapped in a blanket waiting for the
>> long goodbye :(
I phoned up the vet told them why we were coming in, they gave me a time at the end of surgery, then we sat quietly in the boot till the waiting room was empty then I carried her in.

Sitting in the waiting room is not fair on the owner or the other punters
 Puppy love - sooty123
One near us does home visits for that.
 Puppy love - Dog
>>Sitting in the waiting room is not fair on the owner or the other punters

It did upset wifey as it happens. I asked the woman how old the dog was, but she was so upset she couldn't speak. She eventually told me her dog was 15 and that its sister was in the car with her husband.

We didn't hang about in THAT vets b'cos they didn't have the same vaccine as Beau had from the breeders vet. They actually wanted to start his vaccinations from the beginning with their vaccine, I told 'em to naff orf :)

>>One near us does home visits for that.

I dare say most vets will do home visits, at a price.

Puppy love - Pat
>>vets will do home visits, at a price<<

A price worth paying for me (even if I had to go without me ciggies) for a pet to end it's life where it's been happiest.

Pat
 Puppy love - Dog
>> A price worth paying for me (even if I had to go without me ciggies) for a pet to end it's life where it's been happiest.

True but, I went one better than that IMO, and saw Milo take his last breath naturally in my lounge.
I then placed his still-warm body in the chapel of rest (my shed) and dug his grave come the morn.
 Puppy love - Dog
Butter wouldn't melt: m.flickr.com/#/photos/43576259@N04/21902200228/

Cody at 7.5 months & Beau (although I call him Zoltan) at 3 months.
 Puppy love - Bromptonaut
>> One near us does home visits for that.

Friends had that arrangement when their Dalmatian reached the end of the road.
 Puppy love - legacylad
Benji, 'my' 12 yo Lakeland who lives with my Mum, has gone stone deaf in the past few months. The vet tells me it is the bones in the inner ear which have fused together. He used to tell my Mum if anyone approached the front door, hear my car pull up in the drive and rush to tell her ( three loud barks ). Now he is in his own little world where I can walk right up to him from behind and he has no idea of my presence. Still lots of tail wagging, enjoys his walks, albeit shorter as the years progress and decent life quality. Having just remodelled my mums small back garden by replacing flower beds with gravel and limestone features he brings less soil into the house and gets a better run around. A benefit for both parties!
 Puppy love - Alanovich
Yep, my 16.5 yr old Jack Russell is now mostly deaf too. Great relief for the postman no doubt, I expect he thinks the dog's carked it.

The only downside is that I don't feel like I can let her off the lead in the park any more, as I've lost the power of recall.

I fear the children (both younger than the dog so it's always been there) are in for an unpleasant experience soonish. They're aware of a the dog's probable lifespan, but it will still be a shock and a flood of new emotions for them.
 Puppy love - legacylad
I have had to make adjustments to his normal walks....from my Mothers up an old walled lane into large fields and open fell. He has never bothered a sheep in his life, and during lambing season the young ones approach him in a small flock. He stands stock still whilst they smell him, even nuzzle & lick him. Then when they lose interest off he trots again, ball in mouth. Nowadays I have to put a lead on when we get near home. He knows the way home across several fields, down a lane, through Settle and back to base. No point telling him to 'wait' as he used to because he can no longer hear the command! He's off and on a mission for a treat at home.
 Puppy love - Zero

>> The only downside is that I don't feel like I can let her off the
>> lead in the park any more, as I've lost the power of recall.

Its possible, with deaf young dogs, to have a normal doggy/human life. You can teach them visual commands, to check in regularly for such commands.

Whilst its not true that you can't teach an old dog new tricks, you can't wrench an old dog out of a lifetime of learned behaviour into a completely new regime.

Luckily old dogs don't need to be off the lead and away so much.

Puppy love - Dog
Howls this for a dog training routine: www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d8EYyveK_E&feature=youtu.be
 Puppy love - Dutchie
That is inpressive to watch.

Those dogs know who the boss is.

Puppy love - Dog
>>Those dogs know who the boss is.

And some! .. unlike our two monsters who pull us up the hill on their leads. I attach my Pointers extending lead to my belt and let him take the strain :@)
Latest Forum Posts